• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only conservatives and centrists can stop the war with Syria

Hard Truth

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Over a million mostly liberal war protesters marching in the streets had no impact on the last few wars. Politicians don´t care about their opinions because the right/Republicans know they will never get their vote, and Democrats know that liberals have no choice but to continue to vote for the lesser evil. The fact is that the left has virtually no political power nationally, especially in foreign policy.

It seems that many on the right are finally starting to see the light and oppose the war with Syria. Many others oppose it only because it is Obama´s war, not their own. Usually it is the rightwing that goads politicians into starting wars with their constant talk of appeasement and insecurity that peaceful solutions to conflicts make the USA appear weak.

Since they have all the political power on this issue, it is up to conservatives and centrists to stop the war. If tea partiers, conservatives, centrists and libertarians sincerely oppose unnecessary government spending this is their time to step up.

Over a million mostly liberal war protesters marching in the streets had no impact on the last few wars. Politicians don´t care about their opinions because the right/Republicans know they will never get their vote, and Democrats know that liberals have no choice but to continue to vote for the lesser evil. The fact is that the left has virtually no political power nationally, especially in foreign policy.

It seems that many on the right are finally starting to see the light and oppose the war with Syria. Many others oppose it only because it is Obama´s war, not their own. Usually it is the rightwing that goads politicians into starting wars with their constant talk of appeasement and insecurity that peaceful solutions to conflicts make the USA appear weak.

Since they have all the political power on this issue, it is up to conservatives and centrists to stop the war. If tea partiers, conservatives, centrists and libertarians sincerely oppose unnecessary government spending this is their time to step up.

So if Obama decides to go to war in Syria, it's the convervatives and centrists fault?

:shock:

:doh

So if Obama decides to go to war in Syria, it's the convervatives and centrists fault?

Of course, didn't you realize that the minority party has "all of the political power on this issue"?

Yes. Obama is a centrist. Centrist Pelosi is reportedly supporting war with Syria. Liberal Barbara Lee is opposing it.

And here I thought you were going to say liberals were blindly following obama. The liberals don't matter because politicians don't pay attention to them. Well there's a Hard Truth to swallow.

Yes. Obama is a centrist. Centrist Pelosi is reportedly supporting war with Syria. Liberal Barbara Lee is opposing it.

Well, I guess the liberal/progressive flight from responsibility reaches greater velocities than many thought possible...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 29, 2013

Washington, D.C.— Today, Congresswoman Barbara Lee was joined by 53 Members of Congress on a letter to President Obama condemning the reported use of chemical weapons in Syria and calling for full congressional debate and appropriate response. The letter comes on the heels of rumors surrounding a military strike in Syria.

The letter reads, in part: “While we understand that as Commander in Chief you have a constitutional obligation to protect our national interests from direct attack, Congress has the constitutional obligation and power to approve military force, even if the United States or its direct interests (such as its embassies) have not been attacked or threatened with an attack. As such, we strongly urge you to seek an affirmative decision of Congress prior to committing any U.S. military engagement to this complex crisis.

“We must learn the lessons of the past. Lessons from Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, and others,” said Congresswoman Lee. “We must recognize that what happens in Syria does not stay in Syria; the implications for the region are dire.”.......

CONGRESSWOMAN LEE PENS SYRIA LETTER TO WHITE HOUSE, CALLS FOR CONGRESSIONAL DEBATE | Congresswoman Barbara Lee

Despite a long history of being right, no one in Washington cares what Barabara Lee thinks.

I don't understand how I missed this fact.

It is quite simple, really. If Obama has a "good" idea, and the republicants block it, then they are obstructionists, but if Obama has a "bad" idea, and the republicants let him go for it, then they are at fault for not stopping him. ;)

Some have gone so far as to say that the republicants forced the demorats to create and pass PPACA instead of giving us UHC.

I just listened... for a long as I could stand it... to Kerry on TV, stating that Assad used chemical weapons, and that's why we should get involved in Syria. Frankly, since the UN has not yet said that was the case, I find his emotional appeal to start a war disgusting! Most intel is saying it was the rebels, which include AlQuida, (sp) that used the chemical weapons, and I really believe that's the case. Assad has the military on his side to fight the rebels, and doesn't need to use chemical weapons. Besides, this is not our fight! It's a religious war between opposing factions, and we should stay out of it!

Good afternoon, ocean515. :2wave:

And here I thought you were going to say liberals were blindly following obama. The liberals don't matter because politicians don't pay attention to them. Well there's a Hard Truth to swallow.

If Obama listened to liberals, Guantanamo would have been closed, the wars would have ended in his first year in office, there would no renditions, no domestic spying without reasonable suspicion, we wouldn´t have gotten involved in Libya, and we would have Medicare for All, not the half-assed health care bill that passed.

I thought Republicans loved war??? When did this change? They like sending our young men and woman to die for other countries problems, unless it there kids, or better yet if it them that is put in harms way. Ask Dick Cheney about it!

It is quite simple, really. If Obama has a "good" idea, and the republicants block it, then they are obstructionists, but if Obama has a "bad" idea, and the republicants let him go for it, then they are at fault for not stopping him. ;)

Some have gone so far as to say that the republicants forced the demorats to create and pass PPACA instead of giving us UHC.

So are you going to let him start a war without your opposition just so you can blame it on him later?

Well, I guess the liberal/progressive flight from responsibility reaches greater velocities than many thought possible...

I´m writing letters, signing petitions and will be out there protesting. What are you doing?

This is true.

Personally, I'm indifferent. I really could care less. Bomb Syria, invade them, set the goddamned place on fire for all I care. Or, sell both sides a few arms and leave them to kill each other off themselves.

So librals get the blame for Bush's two vanity wars and the mess he left in the region.

Got it!

Hmmm. How crafty those wascally repubs can be. With such powers you'd think they wouldn't stoop to being the minority.

I´m writing letters, signing petitions and will be out there protesting. What are you doing?

Well, right now I'm enjoying watching the President dance, and again, marvelling at the ProgLibs attempted flight from responsibility.

I thought Republicans loved war??? When did this change? They like sending our young men and woman to die for other countries problems, unless it there kids, or better yet if it them that is put in harms way. Ask Dick Cheney about it!

Once the wars became Obama´s war they suddenly started opposing them. Now they even care about domestic spying.

So are you going to let him start a war without your opposition just so you can blame it on him later?

I am powerless to stop the will of the demorat majority, as are my representatives in congress. It is odd that you would seek to have the republicants stop Obama from starting another overseas military adventure when he campaigned as opposing the Iraq war. Obama has kidded himself into thinking that by removing a dictatorial leader in the ME it will result in democracy, peace anf tie dye - he simply fails to accept reality as seen in Lybia, Iraq or Egypt. His "just war" in Afghjanistan already has an announced "victory" date even as we see 70% of the GDP of Afghanistan supplied by U.S. funds and an inept, corrupt moron like Karzai in power. Anyone that actually thinks peace will break out accross the ME if we only allow the "rebels" to take over are likely to have had their Koolaid spiked.

You have summed it up brilliantly! ".." Never, ever, ever..." (to quote Taylor Swift), accept responsibility for anything! Always divert the blame elsewhere, as in "It's Bush's fault"...even though it's been five years since the man left office! It is good for a laugh, though, even though it has become boring to hear! :yawn: :shrug:

I am powerless to stop the will of the demorat majority, as are my representatives in congress. It is odd that you would seek to have the republicants stop Obama from starting another overseas military adventure when he campaigned as opposing the Iraq war. Obama has kidded himself into thinking that by removing a dictatorial leader in the ME it will result in democracy, peace anf tie dye - he simply fails to accept reality as seen in Lybia, Iraq or Egypt. His "just war" in Afghjanistan already has an announced "victory" date even as we see 70% of the GDP of Afghanistan supplied by U.S. funds and an inept, corrupt moron like Karzai in power. Anyone that actually thinks peace will break out accross the ME if we only allow the "rebels" to take over are likely to have had their Koolaid spiked.

I agree with much of this post except the first sentence. You do have some power, especially if your representatives are republicans. Centrists like Obama are constantly in fear of being accused of being soft on defense by conservatives.

Obama the president did not keep the candidate´s promises. I never supported letting him get away with it as many Democrats do.

Regarding the last sentence, I´m not sure of what you think we should do. My opinion is that the USA should neither encourage or discourage rebellions in the middle east. We should let the people work it out for themselves and only intervene where we can prevent or stop genocide.

Last edited:
So far, it sounds like the conservatives and centrists are going to let Obama have his war and then blame him and the Democrats for it later. It seems like they think that winning the blame game is worth more than stopping thousands of deaths and saving billions of dollars.

How is anyone supposed to stop Obama when he can just about do anything he wants on his own? Sorry, but there isn't much anyone can do when he can just declare it all by himself.

Back
Top Bottom