• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Online access 'a human right,' Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
"By reducing the cost and amount of data required for most apps and enabling new business models, Internet.org is focused on enabling the next 4 billion people to come online," he added.

The group's plans include developing cheaper smartphones and using mobile data more efficiently.

“Nokia is deeply passionate about connecting people – to one another and the world around them,” said Nokia president and CEO Stephen Elop in a press release. “Universal Internet access will be the next great industrial revolution.”

Read more: Online access 'a human right,' Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says | Fox News

People are still starving and being murdered in much of the world, which I think is a higher priority if you want to something to spend your time on. Life and freedom actually ARE human rights, whereas internet access is not. But so long as Zuckerberg doesn't use taxpayer money to promote this, I have no problem with what he does. I suspect that wont be the case, much like Obama using taxpayer money to run coax out to every shack in the forest.

People are still starving and being murdered in much of the world, which I think is a higher priority if you want to something to spend your time on. Life and freedom actually ARE human rights, whereas internet access is not. But so long as Zuckerberg doesn't use taxpayer money to promote this, I have no problem with what he does. I suspect that wont be the case, much like Obama using taxpayer money to run coax out to every shack in the forest.

Human right doesn't mean it's free of charge. Education is a human right and yet it costs money. So does healthcare.. and a lot more.

Human rights just means that we as a society see these things, these notions, as valuable parts of our identity as human being and strive to work to improve them and defend peoples' rights to these rights... get it? It should also be noted that these human rights should instill in us, as human beings, the desire to protect them because we acknowledge them as being a key part of a better future. And I think internet access can help to build a better society. So I have no problem with it being considered a human right.

I won't go so far as to say it is a right, however, it is clearly important to have some form of computer communication even if it's in the form of a "community" computer. Most businesses I know of don't even accept paper applications anymore and require you to register online. While "individual" computers may not be a right, I can see how getting a community online is important in today's informational age.

I'm well aware that there are people that get by without them, however, it is becoming more increasingly difficult to do so.

Yeah. What have you got against shacks in the forest, BTW? I want coax in my deer stand. And heat, lights, stove, refrigerator...

It seems to me that people don't actually know what a human right really is.....

More people online = more informed populace. This is a good thing, but don't try to get tax payer funding for it.

It's hard to keep track of what people are up to when there's no computer access...

Yeah. What have you got against shacks in the forest, BTW? I want coax in my deer stand. And heat, lights, stove, refrigerator...

:agree: I threatened to move into my shed last Winter when 10 members of my family, including children, visited me over Christmas for a week's stay, all at the same time! Just kidding, of course, and I love them dearly, but....! The only thing that stopped me was that it was very cold and snowy, and I didn't have any of the amenities you mentioned in your post! Getting the shed in liveable condition, including a shower and a potty, would be cheaper than renting a Holiday Inn, though... :lamo:

Per the article companies like Samsung and Nokia are just pushing for themselves to develop better technology on smartphones so they won't use so data and be more cost efficient so more people can get online and Zuckerberg is helping with that effort. Where did you get that taxpayers might come into this to promote? Did you even read the article you posted?

:agree: I threatened to move into my shed last Winter when 10 members of my family, including children, visited me over Christmas for a week's stay, all at the same time! Just kidding, of course, and I love them dearly, but....! The only thing that stopped me was that it was very cold and snowy, and I didn't have any of the amenities you mentioned in your post! Getting the shed in liveable condition, including a shower and a potty, would be cheaper than renting a Holiday Inn, though... :lamo:
I do wonder, looking back, just how relieved my parents must have felt after the holidays were over and the crowd was gone. I didn't see it so much back then. I do now. Perspectives change with age, and it must be so. At times, if I could stay in a deer stand all day, I just might. Silence truly is golden sometimes. I was fishing on a pristine lake from a canoe recently, and in one cove it was so quiet that I just stayed there a while, forgot fishing, and enjoyed the peace. The internet doesn't offer that. Shame it can't.

It seems to me that people don't actually know what a human right really is.....

I suppose its up for debate. IMO, a human right is something that other humans shouldn't/cant take from you. Which is why my list includes life and liberty.

Per the article companies like Samsung and Nokia are just pushing for themselves to develop better technology on smartphones so they won't use so data and be more cost efficient so more people can get online and Zuckerberg is helping with that effort. Where did you get that taxpayers might come into this to promote? Did you even read the article you posted?

No where did I claim he would use tax payer money. Its just logical that a organization dedicated to social equality would eventually seek some sort of govt help.

Back
Top Bottom