• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

We should have Christianity as our national religion. Our government is becoming too secular and immoral and we need more Christian values

Our government has always been secular. That's how it was designed.

If we had more Christianity in our government, it would probably stop people from becoming ******* atheists.

I disagree. My beliefs have absolutely nothing to do with what some empty suits in the government believe.

There should never be a national religion. Thats the beauty of being an American. We are free to choose what we believe.

id like religious freedom and equality so no state religion please

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA - Forbes

According to the survey, 34 percent of Americans would favor making Christianity their official state religion while less than half (47 percent) oppose the concept. Thirty-two percent of those polled indicated that they would also favor a constitutional amendment that would make Christianity the official religion of the United States with just over half (52 percent) opposing the notion.

snip

Not surprisingly, Republicans were more likely to support Christianity as the official state and national religion with 55 percent supporting the idea for their state and 46 percent in favor of making their Christian faith the official religion of the United States.

By official state religion mentioned above getting 34% support, I assume that means the individual states, not the nation. So less than a majority supports it, and less than a majority opposes it, so what is the point? And a majority opposes it nationally. But "Christianity" isn't a religion any more than "Buddhism" is a religion. Each individual branch is a religion, the over arching philosophies are Christian and Buddhist. So which branch of Christianity should become the nations official unconstitutional, but monkey wrenched to constitutionality would you choose? Catholicism, Orthodox, Lutheran, Pentecostal, or Methodist? Which is right and which should be official and all others repressed? Because an official state religion always gets preference over others and the others get repressed. And if you disagree with the logic that Christianity is an over aching philosophy, then we will establish a state ideology based on christian values, this ideology will be like religion, or some secularized, homogenized version of Christianity that will get all of the benefits above.

I would think an "Official" religion to be unconstitutional, and would also note that 1/3 in favor = 2/3 not.

If we had more Christianity in our government, it would probably stop people from becoming ******* atheists.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

The idea of an official state religion is another attempt by the right to disappear people who are not them in this country. The notion that it would be benign is either naive or ignorant or dishonest. If the United States or any individual state had an official religion that would be used to ban everything from abortion and people of the same-sex marrying to the building of mosques and probably even synagogues. Whenever the government and faith ride in the same cart the wheels come off.

There is no need for a state religion except to oppress those not of that faith. Pure and simple and I know that there are many who would fight any attempt to modify the Constitution to allow it. It is tyranny, it is anti-American and it would be the death of this great nation.

One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

Considering that same one third can't point out where Iraq is on a world map, I'm thankful we live in a constitutional republic as a opposed to a straight democracy.

We should have Christianity as our national religion. Our government is becoming too secular and immoral and we need more Christian values
Sorry but your moral values are not christian.

Since Christianity played a large part in our Revolution, Independence, and the writing of the Constitution, I see it as deeply involved in the United States. Now the separation of church and state is what I believe in, but all these news articles about people going out of their way to attack Christianity everywhere, It's just stupid.
How so? explain.

The Talibornagain strikes again!!

The hate and fear that causes people to think that way is ugly

Christianity as a official religion would go over as well as prohibition of alcohol. it would also take a Amendment to do so, which would never pass.

It is amusing though that Christians talk about making Christianity our official religion it is good evidence that they make terrible Americans.

The Establishment Clause is the very first part of the very first amendment to the Constitution. It is not clear how far it was meant to restrict federal support of Christianity, but it isclear that at the very least, it prohibits Congress from creating any official religion for the United States. The Establishment Clause has been the law since 1791, and it's about as likely to disappear as the statute in front of my local library is to leap from its pedestal tonight and run down the main street.

But like everything else in the Bill of Rights, the Establishment Clause originally applied only to the United States, and not to the states. The Supreme Court made that clear in the 1830's in Barron v. Baltimore. In fact it was not until surprisingly recent times--in Everson v. Board of Education in 1947--that the Court first interpreted the Establishment Clause. The Court did something else in Everson. Using the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as its vehicle, it applied the Establishment Clause to the states.

Before 1947, then, any state that chose to could have created its own official religion. I think it should have been left that way, with the U.S. being barred from creating any official religion, but with each state free either to have no official religion, or to establish whatever official religion a majority of its people chose. Unlike Justice Black, the virulently anti-Catholic ex-Klan official who wrote the majority opinion in Everson, I don't believe the Constitution forbids states from doing that.

My friends and I had to endure the horrific trauma of reading "In God We Trust" right there on our money, of seeing large crosses openly displayed at churches and cemeteries, and of being forced in public schools to hear the pledge of allegiance, study the Pilgrims, and witness Christmas plays. When I think back on that nightmarish ordeal at the hands of would-be theocrats, it seems a wonder we all weren't ruined for life.

Dire, hand-waving warnings about "Theocracy!"--as if the U.S. might any day turn into a sort of "xtian" Iran--are a staple of leftist propaganda. Most leftists I've met loathe Christianity, capitalism, and American culture and values in general--and yet, oddly enough, they choose to live in the U.S. Only too bad that the USSR, where the same loathings prevailed, is no longer around to take them in. They would have been much more at home there.

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA - Forbes

According to the survey, 34 percent of Americans would favor making Christianity their official state religion while less than half (47 percent) oppose the concept. Thirty-two percent of those polled indicated that they would also favor a constitutional amendment that would make Christianity the official religion of the United States with just over half (52 percent) opposing the notion.

snip

Not surprisingly, Republicans were more likely to support Christianity as the official state and national religion with 55 percent supporting the idea for their state and 46 percent in favor of making their Christian faith the official religion of the United States.

I've got nothing against Christianity... but Jesus what is wrong with people. Religion and governments don't mix well.

snip

They're free to want it. It cannot be done, but they're free to want it.

I always wondered when Christians wanted an official religion, which branch of Christianity would become the official one? Also what would happen to people like me who are Buddhist and all the other religions groups in this country? Would we be forced to pay extra taxes, lose government benefits, be imprisoned, or what? Also what would forcing religion down the throats of people accomplish? Just because you say you believe in God and go to church doesn't make you a good, moral person. I have met many "Christians" who are only Christians on Sunday and every other day of the week don't act like they should or just find a biblical loophole to weasel out of. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I own up to my mistakes, not just find some way to justify them. ISIS terrorists believe in God and go to church, they are genocidal to put it nicely. The Catholic church sold indulgences before Martin Luther. Money made you moral.

Back
Top Bottom