• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

We should have Christianity as our national religion. Our government is becoming too secular and immoral and we need more Christian values

I am trying to recall if there are any other countries in the Hemisphere with Christianity as national religion, and resulting triumph of morality in public life.

Ah, sure - Haiti.

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA - Forbes

According to the survey, 34 percent of Americans would favor making Christianity their official state religion while less than half (47 percent) oppose the concept. Thirty-two percent of those polled indicated that they would also favor a constitutional amendment that would make Christianity the official religion of the United States with just over half (52 percent) opposing the notion.

snip

Not surprisingly, Republicans were more likely to support Christianity as the official state and national religion with 55 percent supporting the idea for their state and 46 percent in favor of making their Christian faith the official religion of the United States.

wow this rank right up there with the morons that wanted to push legislation to make interracial marriage as illegal again.

Its amazing that this many people, especially people in government are bat**** insane and have no clue how the country works and whats it about.

Its bad enough to suggest something like this as a citizen but anybody holding a public office suggesting it is 3 times as worse. They can never be taken seriously again.

Nah. I think the plan is to amend the Constitution thusly: "Christianity is the official religion of the United States of America. It means absolutely anything any citizen or permanent resident thinks in means".

Also, they will put a cute little crucifix around the eagle's neck.

I know you are being toungue in cheek, but I do see that you really do think they are harmless. I realize that the alliance of Fundamentalists with economic conservatives has yielded many victories for that alliance. However, the fundamentalists have been putting the economic conservatives on notice of late. It is pretty clear that they want more than cosmetic changes, and that they will withhold their votes if they don't start getting some results. The right has a choice to make. Will it be Libertarian, or authoritarian?

You place far too much faith in the conservative faction.

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA

North Carolina Religion Bill Killed-But One Third Of Americans Want Christianity As Official Religion Of USA - Forbes

According to the survey, 34 percent of Americans would favor making Christianity their official state religion while less than half (47 percent) oppose the concept. Thirty-two percent of those polled indicated that they would also favor a constitutional amendment that would make Christianity the official religion of the United States with just over half (52 percent) opposing the notion.

snip

Not surprisingly, Republicans were more likely to support Christianity as the official state and national religion with 55 percent supporting the idea for their state and 46 percent in favor of making their Christian faith the official religion of the United States.

The GOP can support anything that it wants to support but the USA will never have an 'official' national religion.

Anyone who doesn't already know why this is never going to happen needs to read the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP

I know you are being toungue in cheek, but I do see that you really do think they are harmless. I realize that the alliance of Fundamentalists with economic conservatives has yielded many victories for that alliance. However, the fundamentalists have been putting the economic conservatives on notice of late. It is pretty clear that they want more than cosmetic changes, and that they will withhold their votes if they don't start getting some results. The right has a choice to make. Will it be Libertarian, or authoritarian?

You place far too much faith in the conservative faction.

they will have to choose libertarian...with the left already choosing authoritarian, it's the only choice left.

I am trying to recall if there are any other countries in the Hemisphere with Christianity as national religion, and resulting triumph of morality in public life.

Ah, sure - Haiti.

Well, it worked out great for Haiti so I guess that's a good enough reason to do it in the USA.

These are people who are obsessed with how everyone else is living, probably so they can avoid looking at how they're living, themselves. They think that Christianity isn't about how they live their lives, but about how they force you to live your life.
They're theocratic authoritarians, and they're openly hostile to even the concept of freedom.

Correct.

Their main focus is not on what they want to do but, on what they don't want you to do.

They want to get the U.S. Government off of Wall Streets back and into every American bedroom.

They are brainwashed control freaks.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

I wonder who gets to decide what 'Christianity' is? Would we have an orthodoxy committee? How would they be appointed/elected?

Whichever TV evangelist has the best ratings would probably be a good pick for Christianity Czar.

the first Amendment precludes it from happening... as it should.

That's why they hate the courts. The courts keep defending America from them, and it pisses them off. That's why they want to stack the courts with religious zealots who will turn a blind eye when they walk all over the 1st.

they will have to choose libertarian...with the left already choosing authoritarian, it's the only choice left.

Even supposing that were true, why would it prevent the right from choosing another brand of authoritarianism? I would think that a true Libertarian would be well versed on the multiple threats to liberty, not just one.

As I said in the other thread... I'm a reasonably devout Christian, but not really too keen on the idea.

On the one hand, it wouldn't necessarily mean theocracy, as some alarmist are shouting. England has the C of E as official state religion, but is hardly a theocracy and the English public are about a religious as a rugby ball.

The question is whether this is merely nominal (in name only), or whether there would be legal or legislative or political implications.

In general, my concern is that mixing religion and state tends to corrupt the religion... and give the state excuses for more statism.

Also I believe Christianity must be freely chosen or it becomes meaningless hypocrisy, so I wouldn't be keen on any sort of theocracy... though again, merely having an official state religion is far from implying theocratic governance.

Even so, I am not overly keen on the idea, overall.

1.)As I said in the other thread... I'm a reasonably devout Christian, but not really too keen on the idea.

2.)On the one hand, it wouldn't necessarily mean theocracy, as some alarmist are shouting. England has the C of E as official state religion, but is hardly a theocracy and the English public are about a religious as a rugby ball.

The question is whether this is merely nominal (in name only), or whether there would be legal or legislative or political implications.

3.)In general, my concern is that mixing religion and state tends to corrupt the religion... and give the state excuses for more statism.

4.)Also I believe Christianity must be freely chosen or it becomes meaningless hypocrisy, so I wouldn't be keen on any sort of theocracy... though again, merely having an official state religion is far from implying theocratic governance.

1.) i also am a christian and im totally against it. I dont know how devout i am though since thats different for everybody and groups etc.

2.) I agree it wouldnt FACTUALLY make it a theocracy but unless the the amendment specifically says that it would most certainly make that now possible since the amendment by default would null and void the 1st in this regard.

the only logical path is referring to the amendment in case law and it slowly but surely happening IMO

WHat would stop it?

but like you said in general i agree

3.) i dont think it would possible to corrupt it in only one direction

4.) i agree it must be choosen

We should have Christianity as our national religion. Our government is becoming too secular and immoral and we need more Christian values

Nothing would be worse for the United States or worse for Christianity than to have Christianity declared our national religion.

Those that advocate such lack an understanding of the percepts of our founding and government as well as lack an understanding of Christianity. The separation of church and state is designed to protect religion from the tyranny of government; and government from the tyranny of misguided religious zealots.

A fundamental tenant of Christian doctrine is the free-will acceptance of Christ as our Savior. Acceptance of Christ as our Savior can not be legislated or otherwise mandated.

Sorry, but people that think religion (particularly Christianity) and a free people's government can be co-mingled are uneducated on each.

snip

Im so turned on!

puritans.jpg

34% of people are Rick Santorum supporters?! I'm surprised.

As I said in the other thread... I'm a reasonably devout Christian, but not really too keen on the idea.

On the one hand, it wouldn't necessarily mean theocracy, as some alarmist are shouting. England has the C of E as official state religion, but is hardly a theocracy and the English public are about a religious as a rugby ball.

In general, my concern is that mixing religion and state tends to corrupt the religion... and give the state excuses for more statism.

Also I believe Christianity must be freely chosen or it becomes meaningless hypocrisy, so I wouldn't be keen on any sort of theocracy... though again, merely having an official state religion is far from implying theocratic governance.

I agree with everything you stated here. But the historical context of the official religions of European countries is that they are vestiges of a past that no longer holds. Right now in the US, the door is firmly closed. Having an official religion here would crack that door open. I think you minimize the motives of a significant number if the religious. The thing Christian Theocrats would do well to remember is that it is the mixing of religion and politics that has led to the overwhelmingly secular Europe we have today.

It is because these theocrats are forgetting the lessons of Europe and the early colonies that I am entirely opposed to any move toward an official religion here. If I lived in England, I probably would care so much.

That's why they hate the courts. The courts keep defending America from them, and it pisses them off. That's why they want to stack the courts with religious zealots who will turn a blind eye when they walk all over the 1st.

stop speaking nonsense

Even supposing that were true, why would it prevent the right from choosing another brand of authoritarianism? I would think that a true Libertarian would be well versed on the multiple threats to liberty, not just one.

I'm just doing a lil' wishful thinking... I don't honestly expect people, left or right, to magically start believing in individual liberty to any great extent.

If I were to take a realistic look, I would probably be inclined to vote for authoritarianism... primarily because that seems to be the the path of least resistance and also the direction this country is moving in already

Since Christianity played a large part in our Revolution, Independence, and the writing of the Constitution, I see it as deeply involved in the United States. Now the separation of church and state is what I believe in, but all these news articles about people going out of their way to attack Christianity everywhere, It's just stupid.

I agree with everything you stated here. But the historical context of the official religions of European countries is that they are vestiges of a past that no longer holds. Right now in the US, the door is firmly closed. Having an official religion here would crack that door open. I think you minimize the motives of a significant number if the religious. The thing Christian Theocrats would do well to remember is that it is the mixing of religion and politics that has led to the overwhelmingly secular Europe we have today.

It is because these theocrats are forgetting the lessons of Europe and the early colonies that I am entirely opposed to any move toward an official religion here. If I lived in England, I probably would care so much.

Since Christianity played a large part in our Revolution, Independence, and the writing of the Constitution, I see it as deeply involved in the United States. Now the separation of church and state is what I believe in, but all these news articles about people going out of their way to attack Christianity everywhere, It's just stupid.

Just in case you are insinuating that I attacked Christianity... I didn't. I attacked Christian Theocrats. Not all Christians are theocrats.

Actually, it would make people turn atheistic in droves, with some converting to Islam or Judaism. After all, distrust of government is a core American value :)

Yeah, look how many atheists there are in Muslim countries!

Back
Top Bottom