• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

One thing I'm pretty sick of hearing...

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
From quite a few of the candidates: Anti-wealthy, anti-1%, anti-rich sentiments.

Do they not realize they're all ****ing rich? That when they speak out against 'rich' they are speaking against themselves - while TRYING to pretend as if they're not well off.

It's ridiculous hypocrisy and they need to can it. Is anyone honestly buying such tripe?

From quite a few of the candidates: Anti-wealthy, anti-1%, anti-rich sentiments.

Do they not realize they're all ****ing rich? That when they speak out against 'rich' they are speaking against themselves - while TRYING to pretend as if they're not well off.

It's ridiculous hypocrisy and they need to can it. Is anyone honestly buying such tripe?
To be fair, despite having had a six figure salary for decades, Sanders seems to have been completely irresponsible, and saved very little of it.

I'm not sure that is a good argument in his favor, but it does mean that he legitimately is criticising those more successful than himself.

Actually they are not all ****ing rich, or they would all be like Trump, fully able to fund their campaigns without much in the way of help from other sources.

In truth, some of them are wealthy, but they aren't rich. A wealthy person has enough to satisfy his needs with plenty left over for luxuries. A rich person has a tremendous amount of wealth, so much that he need not concern himself about anything. He literally doesn't have to count the cost of anything, he knows he can afford it.

When one is talking about the 1-percenters, one is talking about 100 - 200 people around the world who have more money than all the remaining 99% put together. THAT's "rich." Those are the people these wealthy politicians go to for funds to campaign for election.

To be fair, despite having had a six figure salary for decades, Sanders seems to have been completely irresponsible, and saved very little of it.

I'm not sure that is a good argument in his favor, but it does mean that he legitimately is criticising those more successful than himself.

I somehow doubt he gave it away to charity.....

Actually they are not all ****ing rich, or they would all be like Trump, fully able to fund their campaigns without much in the way of help from other sources.

In truth, some of them are wealthy, but they aren't rich. A wealthy person has enough to satisfy his needs with plenty left over for luxuries. A rich person has a tremendous amount of wealth, so much that he need not concern himself about anything. He literally doesn't have to count the cost of anything, he knows he can afford it.

When one is talking about the 1-percenters, one is talking about 100 - 200 people around the world who have more money than all the remaining 99% put together. THAT's "rich." Those are the people these wealthy politicians go to for funds to campaign for election.
Top 1-200? That's a pretty extreme definition of "rich".

I am immediately turned off by people who rant about wealthy people to promote their own cause.

The Hillary and Bernie cartoon show the other night was a great example of division politics.

Top 1-200? That's a pretty extreme definition of "rich".

Well, she was talking about the one-percenters, stating that all the candidate's were talking about themselves. There was a recent thread on an article pointing out that there are about 65 people (or was it 85?) who's combined wealth was greater than that held by half the world's population. I just tripled the number to cover the whole population. ;)

Well, she was talking about the one-percenters, stating that all the candidate's were talking about themselves. There was a recent thread on an article pointing out that there are about 65 people (or was it 85?) who's combined wealth was greater than that held by half the world's population. I just tripled the number to cover the whole population. ;)

That's because the bottom global half comes out to almost zero one you account for all the people with negative net worth. If you have no debt and $10 in your pocket, you are automatically richer than a huge section of Americans combined.

In order to be in the Global 1%, you have to make $32,000 a year. That's it. I'm pretty sure all the people running qualify, if we are going to look at the world population.

Except one or two, they are well to do, successful, nothing more, nothing wrong with that. We all like to make a buck and keep it, rich and poor alike. Some are better at it than others.
I don't see why someone has to be poor to distinguish right from wrong, or be a good leader. Why would I choose someone to successfully lead this country if they aren't successful in their own lives?
As Americans, we should celebrate ambition and achievement.

Do they not realize they're all ****ing rich?
Wouldn't that suggest that your interpretation of them being "anti-rich" is flawed. Suggesting that the rich (however you're defining it) should pay more, even disproportionately more, taxes isn't automatically "anti-rich".

Back
Top Bottom