• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One state is the center of war between natural gas and coal

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-...he-center-of-war-between-natural-gas-and-coal

President Trump has made it abundantly clear by word and by deed that the war on coal launched by President Obama is coming to an end. The announcement last year that the Environmental Protection Agency would replace the Clean Power Plan signaled the demise of crushing ideological regulation and Tony Soprano style pressure on electricity utilities to shut down coal fired plants. But that does not mean this war is over just yet.

In Indiana, the beleaguered but still critical coal industry is under attack by a natural gas provider and utility owner that wants to close down coal electricity generating plants and replace them with a new electricity utility station that would use natural gas piped in from Texas. Vectren, the company requesting approval of the station, is currently being acquired by Center Point Energy, the natural gas provider and utility owner based in Texas. If the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission approves the deal, natural gas produced by Center Point Energy would be piped up into Indiana to generate electricity at its own brand new $780 million plant.
====================================================================
The plant would be financed by raising electricity rates on Indiana consumers, who will have little choice when it comes to their utility provider. The deal effectively creates a new tax through higher rates.

IOW, no free lunch, green energy or not. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
We have several guys on the floor with "friends of coal" stickers on their tool boxes. They, when questioned, have no idea that the power plants up and down the east coast want to bring the coal ash here to dump it in and by our rivers. Voters in North Carolina and South Carolina don't want the trash in their back yard. But for a few dollars, some of our Georgia politicians can be persuaded to accept it here.

We have several guys on the floor with "friends of coal" stickers on their tool boxes. They, when questioned, have no idea that the power plants up and down the east coast want to bring the coal ash here to dump it in and by our rivers. Voters in North Carolina and South Carolina don't want the trash in their back yard. But for a few dollars, some of our Georgia politicians can be persuaded to accept it here.

Money & politics can buy some strange things, right? Coal is dead - it just doesn't realize it yet. Look at my recent post about Germany switching from coal & nuclear to renewables like solar, wind & tidal.

When I see your location & talk about power plants making a mess, I think of the movie Deliverance in your part of the country.

Last edited:
Money & politics can buy some strange things, right? Coal is dead - it just doesn't realize it yet. Look at my recent post about Germany switching from coal & nuclear to renewables like solar, wind & tidal.

When I see your location & talk about power plants making a mess, I think of the movie Deliverance in your part of the country.

There has been an industry push to bring coal ash from five east coast states to my area. And to the dismay of the producers, there has been a definite "Oh Hell No" in the recent county commissioners meetings. They need a rail heading and we have to approve it. And right now, it looks like we won't. I suggest the coal waste go back to the county of the coal production. Then they can gain employment jobs to do the reclamation work.

Back
Top Bottom