• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One serving of fried chicken a day linked to 13% higher risk of death, study finds

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/23/...-chicken-higher-risk-of-death-intl/index.html

A regular serving of fried chicken or fish is associated with a higher risk of death from any cause except cancer, according to a new study done in postmenopausal women in the United States. Women who enjoyed fried chicken once or more per day had a 13% higher risk of death from any cause compared with women who did not eat any fried food, according to the study, published Wednesday in the medical journal BMJ.
Women eating a daily portion of fried fish or shellfish saw a 7% greater risk of death.
The authors highlight that limiting the consumption of fried foods, in particular fried chicken and fish, could therefore be good for public health.
What a stupid study. Nobody eats fried chicken every day and they only tested postmenopausal women? Ridiculous. :roll:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
This may not bode well for KFC/Long John Silver's (senior women's?) clientele. Of course, a "study" which compares two extremes (never eat fried food X vs. eat fried food X at least once daily) of only one variable are basically junk science.

And it seems frying in olive oil mitigates the chances of death to zero lol

And it seems frying in olive oil mitigates the chances of death to zero lol

The chance of death remains at 100% - only the cause and age of death vary.

The chance of death remains at 100% - only the cause and age of death vary.

I was referring to the risk of death with regards to the study, not in general.

Next: spinning a hula hoop on your hips while in the middle of a busy intersection leads to 80% more injury and death than not doing so.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/23/...-chicken-higher-risk-of-death-intl/index.html

What a stupid study. Nobody eats fried chicken every day and they only tested postmenopausal women? Ridiculous. :roll:

Well if fried chicken kills us, I guess I'll just die. We have it maybe once a month or so. Not because it is healthy or beneficial. It isn't. But it isn't as bad as somethings people eat, and it sure tastes good.

I file things like this under the category of "somebody needed a fresh topic for a study for their college thesis or something.' Probably 99.9% of ALL people who die ate a carrot at some time in their life. Shall we extrapolate that to carrots are deadly? A study like this makes about as much sense. I figure anybody who eats fried chicken every day is probably doing a lot of other stuff that isn't particularly good for her either.

And I would be remiss if I didn't note that 100% of postmenopausal women are going to eventually die of something.

Last edited:

My probability and statistics professor told me that most studies are just bull****, and that they are built to follow a certain narrative.

Like the AT&T commercials that talk about they are 10x better than Verizon, but they have done a study in Bum****, Arkansas, where there is no Verizon coverage, so of course, 9 out of 10 people are going to prefer AT&T over Verizon, because there is no Verizon there.

And I was going to say - who eats fried chicken every day anyway? That's just asking to have a heart attack. Fried chicken is like "reward" food.

The study was not about fried chicken and fish specifically. It was about all fried foods, and according to the stats in the study, a significant number of people eat one or more servings of fried foods per day.

The chicken and fish came into the study because they seem to be particularly risky for some unidentified reason

Different lipids offer different effects when used for frying. Some lipids have higher and lower burn temperatures, and as they burn they do create potential toxic particulants. The question becomes how much of those particulants are dangerous to our health? Studies like this one do not take into account which lipid was used for the frying, nor at what temperatures. For example, had the chicken been fried in olive oil, generally recommended for health benefits, it has a low burn point. Therefore, if the chicken were fried in olive oil at a high temperature, more of those potentially dangerous particulants will adhere to the finished product than if the chicken were fried in canola oil which has a higher burn point. I think it is reasonable to assume that fast food chicken frying joints will use whatever lipids are cheapest. Enjoy your fried chicken or fish when you want, but cook it at home. :)

Food studies are mostly bogus. They are not using scientific controls. They don't take into account comparative health issues and diets of the subjects, and they can't. For instance, a recent study suggested hot coffee was a cause of throat cancer. Yet, what about other hot beverages, including soups and tea. Scorching the throat on a daily basis is bound to have a negative effect. Don't blame the coffee, blame the high heat. Of course, most coffee drinkers, soup consumers, tea drinkers and so forth make take a sip of a hot beverage to determine if it has cooled enough for consumption and the dangers are minimal at best. Statistic from food studies do not take into account all the other factors or coincidence.

Drinking beer all day will give you a beer belly, but how many of those beer drinkers eat a chunk of cake after dinner?

Unfortunately, we don't know enough about human nutrition. We need much more study, but with better accounting for the possible variants. We are each different despite some commonalities. We all need lipids, proteins, minerals, vitamins, and other compounds that keep our bodies function at their best, but at what quantities and in what combinations? A physically active person requires more calories than a sedentary individual. Common sense. We usually become less active as we age and should reduce caloric intake, but the eating habits of a lifetime and the psychological nurturing are difficult to avoid. A recent study found those who are overweight among older people are generally happier, less depressed and stressed than those who are underweight or at the mean weight for their height and gender. Depression can cause ill health. But how do we measure true happiness or contentment. Comediennes may entertainment with humor, but more than a few suffer depression which leads to suicide.

We all are mortal and life is short. Use common sense and enjoy your lives and diet, whatever that means to you. Your comfort zone is your own to own. One man's poison is another's elixir.

Back
Top Bottom