• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One Piece

Amadeus

Chews the Cud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Any One Piece viewers here? I'm constantly surprised at the quality of the writing. Especially in the oddest of places.

The latest episode details the history of a villain who wears a baby costume, and it was a surprisingly deep and moving tale.

latest

I have tried to get into One Piece a few times. I admit it is quality material usually(though I question the above example), but I had the same problem I have with a lot of shonen manga/anime...I just am not the target demographic at 50 years old. I still enjoy some shonen(this season One-Punch Man is awesome, Heavy Object is fun, Yuruyuri of course is great, the new Gundam series is really good,and a few others are not bad), a lot just does not hold my interest.

I have tried to get into One Piece a few times. I admit it is quality material usually(though I question the above example), but I had the same problem I have with a lot of shonen manga/anime...I just am not the target demographic at 50 years old. I still enjoy some shonen(this season One-Punch Man is awesome, Heavy Object is fun, Yuruyuri of course is great, the new Gundam series is really good,and a few others are not bad), a lot just does not hold my interest.

The above scene makes sense when you look at Senor Pink's backstory. His son died, and his wife is catatonic. The only thing that makes her smile is him wearing the baby costume. *wipes a tear*

I watch One Piece... It's one of my favorite anime... And I am not so sure if it's my favorite anime because it's good,or more just because it's such a long journey and you get a long time to really attach to the characters. It's like an epic, like the Odyssey or Beowulf... it's so long.

and the climax fights are always really good. I like how the author can get creative in how characters exploit their powers... like you would have a certain power and you would never think to use it in that way for your advantage... which makes the show kind of intelligent...

I couldn't get into one piece, not sure what put me off. I might have to try to dive in again sometime..

I wanted to get into One Piece, but I don't want to have to go through 700+ episodes. Plus I just started Kill la Kill.

Any One Piece viewers here? I'm constantly surprised at the quality of the writing. Especially in the oddest of places.

The latest episode details the history of a villain who wears a baby costume, and it was a surprisingly deep and moving tale.

I've been reading the manga since I was like 12 years old. Brilliant series, some amazing characterization and story arcs (although I wasn't a fan of the Dressrosa arc). I can't stand any shonen anime though, everything is so drawn out and silly. Especially with the weekly serial shows because the anime catches up to the manga so quickly.

I just finished Steins;gate and Log Horizon and so I was looking for something a little different. Seems pretty good so far.

Those two are among my favorites. I remember my jaw just hitting the floor at the middle episode of Steins;Gate where everything changed. Also should mention the novels Log Horizon is based on have been licensed and the first two are available so far. Good stuff.

Have you tried Robotics;Notes? It is the sorta sequel to Steins;Gate, and pretty decent.

I've been reading the manga since I was like 12 years old. Brilliant series, some amazing characterization and story arcs (although I wasn't a fan of the Dressrosa arc). I can't stand any shonen anime though, everything is so drawn out and silly. Especially with the weekly serial shows because the anime catches up to the manga so quickly.

A lot of anime these days is based on light novels, so not that problem so much. Plus a lot are planned at 12 or 24 episodes, which solves the problem of catching up. If you are looking for shonen, but a little different, maybe Witch Craft Works(the manga is freaking awesome too), Silver Spoon(based on manga by women who also did Full Metal Alchemist), Amagi Brilliant Park(hilariously funny), or My Teen Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As Expected(deconstructs teen romcoms and harem comedies). Have you tried any Shojo? My Love Story is hilarious and sweet and cute, and Snow White With The Red Hair has a great story with interesting characters. Both recent and really good.

Those two are among my favorites. I remember my jaw just hitting the floor at the middle episode of Steins;Gate where everything changed. Also should mention the novels Log Horizon is based on have been licensed and the first two are available so far. Good stuff.

Have you tried Robotics;Notes? It is the sorta sequel to Steins;Gate, and pretty decent.

Yeah I almost dropped Steins;Gate a few times until I got to Episode 9 then it got super good. And no I haven't. I just got back into anime right before finals and then bar prep happen so that took up most of my time. I am just trying to watch some of the big shows to find a genres I like. So far I've gotten through SAO/SAO 2, Accel World, Fate Zero and UBW, Magi, Steins;Gate, Code Geass, and Log Horizon. I am currently watching Kill la Kill and Kindachi.

I might have to give One Punch Man a try. I can't stand any of the robot anime stuff, though.

One of the reoccurring themes I like in One Piece is that there are no true villains and heroes. Pirates can be good or bad, and government agents (law enforcement) can be good or bad.

My favorite One Piece arc (Enies Lobby) demonstrates this best. Spoilers in the vid.

I couldn't get into one piece, not sure what put me off. I might have to try to dive in again sometime..

There are many things about One Piece that are off-putting. The show should not work, but somehow it does.

If you're going to get into One Piece, you might as well start from the beginning and not worry about getting caught up. It's solid all the way through, and you probably won't be disappointed.

I might have to give One Punch Man a try. I can't stand any of the robot anime stuff, though.

One of the reoccurring themes I like in One Piece is that there are no true villains and heroes. Pirates can be good or bad, and government agents (law enforcement) can be good or bad.

My favorite One Piece arc (Enies Lobby) demonstrates this best. Spoilers in the vid.

Enies Lobby is my favourite arc too. One of the best fights in the series with Rob Lucci, Sogeking is hilarious, and when Nico Robin yells I want to live as the SHP line up on that wall. Damn man, the feels. (She's my favourite character since her backstory/that arc came out, although she hasn't done anything of note since).

A lot of anime these days is based on light novels, so not that problem so much. Plus a lot are planned at 12 or 24 episodes, which solves the problem of catching up. If you are looking for shonen, but a little different, maybe Witch Craft Works(the manga is freaking awesome too), Silver Spoon(based on manga by women who also did Full Metal Alchemist), Amagi Brilliant Park(hilariously funny), or My Teen Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As Expected(deconstructs teen romcoms and harem comedies). Have you tried any Shojo? My Love Story is hilarious and sweet and cute, and Snow White With The Red Hair has a great story with interesting characters. Both recent and really good.

Yeah tbh most of my shonen anime experience is based on some of the main big ones (One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail, Reborn). I never went too indie/alternative in my tastes. I normally just stick to the mangas even for the stuff that had been finished once I started. (Fullmetal Alchemist, Tengan Toppen Gurren Lagaan etc). I really dislike the fanservice in anime, which is prevalent in a couple, and although it is there in the manga you can just skip right past/ignore it. One anime I did like recently was Attack on Titan, but I think that's because the style just has this extra creep factor when it's animated. Never tried shojo, not really sure it's my thing, but I'd be willing to read one with some good characterization in.

On the subject of anime, I loved Hare+Guu a while back.

Just started reading this. Goddamn it's hilarious. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

If you liked that, you might try Assassination Classroom too.

Back
Top Bottom