• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One or Many

Good4Nothin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
The question of whether there is only one god or many has often been asked, but it should never have been asked. For a being who is infinite, there is no difference between one or two or three or a zillion. We assume god is infinite, so why is such a meaningless question ever asked?

It seems to me that there is infinite ultimate God (The Universe), who can take infinite forms. Each of us can have our own personal version of the infinite One God. And everything in the world, physical or mental, can have its own god. That's how it's been in almost all religions, before Judaism.

The whole problem of monotheism vs polytheism is solved, since it never was a problem to begin with.

And polytheism has the additional benefit of being tolerant.

hmm a god could be infinite or not and a big enough mind could be making up everything but being infinite doesn't mean you have to be everything

Some eastern religions would agree with you. But Abrahamic religions have to view God as a creator separate from creation.

Before it was reduced to writing, the Book of Genesis redacted oral tales and traditions which involved differing tales of different gods. One tale spoke of a series of spiritual gods, the other a tale of a benevolent anthropomorphic "father-type" God. These tales were eventually combined by the Redactor, in the guise of making it appear as though it were a single tale (the reason why is another discussion for another thread).

OM

Before it was reduced to writing, the Book of Genesis redacted oral tales and traditions which involved differing tales of different gods. One tale spoke of a series of spiritual gods, the other a tale of a benevolent anthropomorphic "father-type" God. These tales were eventually combined by the Redactor, in the guise of making it appear as though it were a single tale (the reason why is another discussion for another thread).

OM

Also, in parts of the Old Testament, God is described as the greatest god, NOT the only god.

Also, in parts of the Old Testament, God is described as the greatest god, NOT the only god.

In the late Bronze Age, it was common belief that a “gods power” was confined to the geographical boundaries of their respective cultures; so it was really no small wonder then that the Hebrews considered their god “the best”, as they considered it the “one true God” – and thus not constrained by boundaries.

OM

The question of whether there is only one god or many has often been asked, but it should never have been asked. For a being who is infinite, there is no difference between one or two or three or a zillion. We assume god is infinite, so why is such a meaningless question ever asked?

It seems to me that there is infinite ultimate God (The Universe), who can take infinite forms. Each of us can have our own personal version of the infinite One God. And everything in the world, physical or mental, can have its own god. That's how it's been in almost all religions, before Judaism.

The whole problem of monotheism vs polytheism is solved, since it never was a problem to begin with.

Quite honestly, I don't really see this thought process as being much different than not believing in any god.

You say that god is anything anyone wants god to be. There's no real definition. It's completely open to each and every individual to decide and define in any way they wish, and each person is never wrong.

That's really not any different than just saying there is no god.

You're just broad-brushing "god" to a point where there's basically nothing.

It's kinda Taoist in that the Taoist believes all the answers you need come from within you. Not from others.

How many infinite gods can there be ?

Quite honestly, I don't really see this thought process as being much different than not believing in any god.

You say that god is anything anyone wants god to be. There's no real definition. It's completely open to each and every individual to decide and define in any way they wish, and each person is never wrong.

That's really not any different than just saying there is no god.

You're just broad-brushing "god" to a point where there's basically nothing.

It's kinda Taoist in that the Taoist believes all the answers you need come from within you. Not from others.
This post of Dragonfly's makes little sense. I wish merely to point this out.
If Dragonfly, representing atheism, can see no difference between an unknown God and a non-existent God, then Dragonfly's post #7 explains by example or inadvertent illustration much of what is amiss with atheistic "thought" processes, scare quotes very much to the point here.

I guess somebody's got to tell it like it is.

Look, pilgrims, the one and only thing you pretty much know for sure is that you exist, or more precisely that your thoughts exist. The rest is taken on faith, on various degrees of faith, all the rest.
God is the one and only explanatory inference as to why you and you alone, or your thoughts alone, exist.

And that's all she wrote -- You and God, God and You.

I guess somebody's got to tell it like it is.

Look, pilgrims, the one and only thing you pretty much know for sure is that you exist, or more precisely that your thoughts exist. The rest is taken on faith, on various degrees of faith, all the rest.
God is the one and only explanatory inference as to why you and you alone, or your thoughts alone, exist.

And that's all she wrote -- You and God, God and You.

that or something always existed and just changed its shape to include you

or something just popped into existence and resulted in you

if a magical all powerful mind that felt like making a universe that includes can just happens exist because then anything can

that or something always existed and just changed its shape to include you

or something just popped into existence and resulted in you

if a magical all powerful mind that felt like making a universe that includes can just happens exist because then anything can
"Shane! Come back!"

You seem to keep forgetting. I don't forget. I'm like an elephant that way.

"Shane! Come back!"

You seem to keep forgetting. I don't forget. I'm like an elephant that way.

but as i forget i dont really get what you mean by that

but its still clear you have non god options for why you exist

As many as can fit on the head of a pin. I would say infinite imaginary gods.
Your pinhead argument enjoys a pedigree, but that goes back to a reductio ad absurdum, which your serious conclusion appears to miss.

In other parts of the Old Testament God claims he is the only God.

"Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god." - Isaiah 44:6

Well the bible did say that god didnt like it when you worship other gods, but he also said he was the one true god: a sure sign of a lunatic... :crazy3:

Well the bible did say that god didnt like it when you worship other gods, but he also said he was the one true god: a sure sign of a lunatic... :crazy3:
There's no contradiction between the two assertions. Seeing contradiction where contradiction isn't may be lunatic of course. Is that the sign we should see?

There's no contradiction between the two assertions. Seeing contradiction where contradiction isn't may be lunatic of course. Is that the sign we should see?

Anyone who doesnt see a contradiction in that is an idiot...

If you look at the surrounding historical cultures, I think that the biblical premise should be pretty much understood, The Ugarit and Canaanite pantheons had a whole host of deities to compete with. The Bible pretty much says "don't worship those gods (as they are idols only), worship only YHVH (claimed to be the "tangible" God)".

OM

Show the contradiction or shut up -- i.e,. cut out the name-calling.

I already did. Try reading it again, and use comprehension this time.

At the time the early part of the Jewish scriptures were written, there was much worship of many Gods all around them. Yes, it was initially the 'greatest god', but it transformed over time to 'the only true god'. Even in Judaism, the worship of Ashera as Yahweh's consort didn't get stamped out until probably the 3rd or 4th century BCE, even though the priests tried to eliminate her for centuries.

I already did. Try reading it again, and use comprehension this time.
You showed nothing. You misquote the original and start calling names. Shall we quote the original accurately and look for your contradiction?
I've got your number, mister. And I'm not about to take any crap from you.

Back
Top Bottom