• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One of the very few Oscars awards speeches actually worth watching

ModerationNow!

I identify as "non-Bidenary".
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
For some reason this 1986 Oscar awards speech showed up in my YouTube feed, despite me never having watched any YouTube videos related to any of the pretentious, over-hyped awards shows. I must've been suffering from near-record levels of boredom, because I clicked on it instead of ignoring it. It was actually pretty funny, as Paul Hogan did a nice job of lightening up the mood in a room filled with people who seriously think they are more important than Jonas Salk and Queen Elizabeth I combined! Although a few actors were too arrogant or miserable to laugh(or even smile), most of them did laugh. We didn't see much of Paul Hogan after the 80s, but he was entertaining here, as he poked fun at the award show mentality.

I had forgotten that PC Culture was already on the roll in 1986, I was reminded as I watched him self censor "losers" into "non-winners" (1:49).

I am not yet alive when this speech has been delivered. It seems old stuff are way better than the new one. His speech is indeed one of the best.

Back
Top Bottom