• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One of the most highly decorated former US Army generals blasts Trump

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
'Embarrassing' and 'entirely inappropriate': One of the most highly decorated former US Army generals blasts Trump's visit with US troops in Iraq

220px-Barry_McCaffrey.jpg

US General (Ret.) Barry McCaffrey

12/28/18
President Donald Trump's surprise trip to Iraq to visit US troops, his first combat-zone visit as president, fell short among some political commentators, including one of the most highly decorated officers in the US Army. Former four-star Gen. Barry McCaffrey, who was awarded three Purple Heart medals, two Distinguished Service Crosses, and two Silver Stars, described Trump's visit as "embarrassing" and "entirely inappropriate" in a Thursday interview with MSNBC. McCaffrey told MSNBC that it was "a good thing that the president went to Iraq and visited the troops" but suggested that what was supposed to be a morale-boosting visit between troops and the commander in chief instead became a political affair. Trump's speech to the troops particularly struck a nerve with McCaffrey. Last week, Trump announced he would withdraw the roughly 2,000 US troops from Syria, citing the highly disputed claim that the Islamic State group had been "defeated." Following the backlash from many national-security experts, Trump suggested he was open to using Iraq as a staging point for another intervention in Syria, "if we wanted to do something."

McCaffrey also criticized Trump, who did not meet with Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi during the trip, for snubbing the leader of Iraq. "The whole notion of going into Iraq and not genuflecting … the Iraqis is simply outrageous," McCaffrey said. "And announcing we're going to use it as the site from which we'll conduct combat operations in other nations, I mean, it's just inciting Iraqi sovereignty concerns. He also criticized one of Trump's falsehoods about the military: the claim that US troops received their first pay raise "in more than 10 years" under his administration. "It's not a lie if you believe it," McCaffrey said, quoting "Seinfeld" character George Costanza. "The troops all should have known it was complete nonsense, but they were sort of excited the commander in chief was there, and they were willing to blow by it."

Trump wisely did not visit with the US SOF in Syria that have been fighting ISIS on the ground with the Kurds since 2015. They despise him.

Well put. He did a good job in visiting the troops. But the entire affair was laughable. He lied to them, mad incredibly stupid remarks, weakened our relationship with Iraq etc. Im amazed he gets his pants on in the morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Well put. He did a good job in visiting the troops. But the entire affair was laughable. He lied to them, mad incredibly stupid remarks, weakened our relationship with Iraq etc. Im amazed he gets his pants on in the morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

How can he miss that target? :shock:

View attachment 67246843

'Embarrassing' and 'entirely inappropriate': One of the most highly decorated former US Army generals blasts Trump's visit with US troops in Iraq

Trump wisely did not visit with the US SOF in Syria that have been fighting ISIS on the ground with the Kurds since 2015. They despise him.

Well, he failed to answer the question: “Why are we there, and when are we leaving?” America seems to want to set up camp in every country under the banner of “stragetic interest” , “stabilization”, and meanwhile the nation is running out of money to confront our biggest threats. Nothing good has ever come out of the middle east but oil.

Oh...McCaffrey. Yeah, he was dismissed a long time ago. But since he's a neverTrumper, the media trots him out every now and then.

Moving on...

Trump is a direct reflection of his supporters. These conservatives who disrespect the people who voluntarily work to ensure our security in exchange for a slat fence that'll never be built is another example of how low they'll sink. How un-American does Trump have to get before his cult demands that he pull his tongue out of Putin's ass?

Oh...McCaffrey. Yeah, he was dismissed a long time ago. But since he's a neverTrumper, the media trots him out every now and then.

Moving on...

Dismissed by Trump Fanboys only.

Honorably retired from his spectacularly honorable service in the Army.

Gen. McCaffrey is completely connected to generals and admirals both retired and currently serving. You can dismiss the general retired all you like but he's not dismissed in Washington and in foreign capitals where his statements are taken with an ultimate seriousness. You're in either denial or a state of obliviousness concerning where things are going.

Moving on...

Moving on without addressing...

1. Is the first pay raise in 10 years a lie?

2. Should he have met with the Iraqi leader before claiming we'll use Iraq as a staging point?

3. Was his political speech to troops inappropriate?

The reality is Trump is completely incompetent. He can't handle the most basic functions of the job like a speech to Boy Scouts or phone calls from kids asking about Santa Clause.

It must be difficult for you to pretend you don't see how utterly incompetent he is.

Dismissed by Trump Fanboys only.

Honorably retired from his spectacularly honorable service in the Army.

Gen. McCaffrey is completely connected to generals and admirals both retired and currently serving. You can dismiss the general retired all you like but he's not dismissed in Washington and in foreign capitals where his statements are taken with an ultimate seriousness. You're in either denial or a state of obliviousness concerning where things are going.

He's still a talking potato head.

Moving on...

most Americans are never Trumpers. Should the media seek out the few loonies that support him?

Gen. McCaffrey (Ret.) speaks of what I call the Putin-Trump-Fanboys Triple Threat...

08-28_putin_org_t715.jpg

Retired four-star Army general: Trump, 'under the sway of Putin,' threatens national security

USA TODAY March 17, 2018 AFP

A retired four-star Army general said that he thinks President Trump is a “serious threat to US national security” because the president "is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks." Retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey tweeted Friday that “it is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of (Russian President Vladimir) Putin.”

Barry R McCaffrey
@mccaffreyr3
Reluctantly I have concluded that President Trump is a serious threat to US national security. He is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks. It is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of Mr Putin.

4:46 AM - Mar 17, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
74.9K people are talking about this

Special counsel Robert Mueller is investigating Russian involvement in the 2016 elections and whether there was any collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. Mueller has indicted several former Trump campaign aides and 13 Russian nationals as part of his ongoing probe into Russian interference in the presidential election.

U.S. Cyber Command chief and National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he had not received any new authority from Trump to strike at Russian cyber operations. Regarding U.S. efforts to counter the Russian intrusions, Rogers said, “We’re taking steps, but we’re probably not doing enough.”

McCaffrey's remarks were echoed on MSNBC Saturday by retired United States Navy Admiral James Stavridis.

Asked by MSNBC host Alex Witt for his thoughts on McCaffrey's statement, Stavridis replied: “I know the general well. I have a lot of regard for his opinions, he does not state them loosely.” “In terms of the current situation with Russia, our president needs to understand that Vladimir Putin is no friend to the United States, that Russia is actively seeking to undermine our nation not only domestically but our foreign policy as well,” he added. “I agree with Gen. McCaffrey that our president does not spend enough time focused on the threat that is emanating from Russia today.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-putin-threat-us-national-security/434811002/

The list on this is long of generals and admirals active duty or retired who think and believe this exactly. It would be hard to find one who doesn't know the score here. Putin-Trump are the big fish while their Fanboys are the small potatoes. Peel 'em and cook 'em all regardless. Meanwhile the generals and admirals who endorsed Trump during the campaign have all gone silent.

Last edited:
Gen. McCaffrey (Ret.) speaks of what I call the Putin-Trump-Fanboys Triple Threat...

08-28_putin_org_t715.jpg

Retired four-star Army general: Trump, 'under the sway of Putin,' threatens national security

A retired four-star Army general said that he thinks President Trump is a “serious threat to US national security” because the president "is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks." Retired Gen. Barry McCaffrey tweeted Friday that “it is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of (Russian President Vladimir) Putin.”

Barry R McCaffrey
@mccaffreyr3
Reluctantly I have concluded that President Trump is a serious threat to US national security. He is refusing to protect vital US interests from active Russian attacks. It is apparent that he is for some unknown reason under the sway of Mr Putin.

Special counsel Robert Mueller is investigating Russian involvement in the 2016 elections and whether there was any collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign. Mueller has indicted several former Trump campaign aides and 13 Russian nationals as part of his ongoing probe into Russian interference in the presidential election.

U.S. Cyber Command chief and National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he had not received any new authority from Trump to strike at Russian cyber operations. Regarding U.S. efforts to counter the Russian intrusions, Rogers said, “We’re taking steps, but we’re probably not doing enough.”

McCaffrey's remarks were echoed on MSNBC Saturday by retired United States Navy Admiral James Stavridis.

Asked by MSNBC host Alex Witt for his thoughts on McCaffrey's statement, Stavridis replied: “I know the general well. I have a lot of regard for his opinions, he does not state them loosely.” “In terms of the current situation with Russia, our president needs to understand that Vladimir Putin is no friend to the United States, that Russia is actively seeking to undermine our nation not only domestically but our foreign policy as well,” he added. “I agree with Gen. McCaffrey that our president does not spend enough time focused on the threat that is emanating from Russia today.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-putin-threat-us-national-security/434811002/

The list on this is long of generals and admirals active duty or retired who think and believe this exactly. It would be hard to find one who doesn't know the score here. Putin-Trump are the big fish while their Fanboys are the small potatoes. Peel 'em and cook 'em all regardless. Meanwhile the generals and admirals who endorsed Trump during the campaign have all gone silent.

yawn...

Wake me up when I need to be impressed.

yawn...

Wake me up when I need to be impressed.

Maybe you don't want that in the ostrich position you're in. Fact is you're certainly asking for it and you're not the only one asking over there either.

Admiral who oversaw Bin Laden raid to Trump: 'Revoke my security clearance, as well'

In an open letter, retired four-star Adm. William McRaven said he stands with former CIA Director John Brennan, whose security clearance was stripped by President Trump.

The architect of the Osama bin Laden raid said Thursday that it was a badge of honor for former CIA Director John Brennan to have his security clearance stripped by President Donald Trump.

McRaven-620x349.jpg

Adm. McRaven commanded the United States Special Operations Command from August 8, 2011, to August 28, 2014 when he retired after 37 years in the Navy. In 1982 McRaven signed up with SEAL Team Six.

"I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency," William McRaven, a retired four-star admiral, wrote in an open letter to Trump in The Washington Post. "Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him."

McRaven was responding to Trump's decision to rescind Brennan's access to classified information, a move the president announced in a statement read by press secretary Sarah Sanders.

William-McRaven-CNN-screenshot.jpg

Brennan, who is a senior national security analyst for NBC News and MSNBC, said Wednesday in an interview with Nicolle Wallace that the cancellation of his security clearance was Trump's "way of getting back at me" and was designed to "intimidate and suppress any criticism of him or his administration."

McRaven wrote in his letter that Trump's "McCarthy-era tactics" would not silence criticism. "Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation," McRaven wrote.

Also Thursday, former directors of central intelligence William Webster, George Tenet and Porter Goss, and former CIA directors Gen. Michael Hayden, Leon Panetta and Gen. David Petraeus and other former officials responded in a statement to "the ill-considered and unprecedented remarks and actions by the White House regarding the removal of John Brennan’s security clearances."

"We know John to be an enormously talented, capable and patriotic individual who devoted his adult life to the service of this nation. Insinuations and allegations of wrongdoing on the part of Brennan while in office are baseless," they said in the statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...-bin-laden-raid-tells-trump-revoke-my-n901421

I would add that the letter was also signed by former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former acting CIA Director John McLaughlin and former Deputy CIA Directors Stephen Kappes, Michael Morell, Avril Haines and David Cohen.

Also signing the letter was Robert Gates, who was defense secretary under Barack Obama and George W. Bush, CIA director under George H.W. Bush and deputy CIA director under Ronald Reagan.

"We all agree that the president’s action regarding John Brennan and the threats of similar action against other former officials has nothing to do with who should and should not hold security clearances — and everything to do with an attempt to stifle free speech," the statement said.

Now that you're awake...and singing....

Brennan? Clapper? Former this, that and the other?

Nah...I'm still not impressed by a bunch of has beens who don't like Trump.

one of the most highly decorated officers in the US Army. Former four-star Gen. Barry McCaffrey, who was awarded three Purple Heart medals, two Distinguished Service Crosses, and two Silver Stars,

3 Purple Hearts
2 Distinguished Service Crosses
2 Silver Stars
4 Stars

?????

YOUR ConManDuh n Cheat didn't serve! And you have the temerity to call this most distinguished officer who took a bullet for you, THREE TIMES , a potato head? :doh -pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you were "moving on"?

08-28_putin_org_t715.jpg

Barry R McCaffrey
@mccaffreyr3

For any other president, this would be a serious contraversay. How much the GOP let's him get away with is crazy. I can't wait for the new house to take over, and hold this admin responsible.

Pakistan is also looking to Russia and China. If the US withdrawals from the world, other countries will shape it. To Trump it all boils down to money. It's very sad. World stability, peace, and freedom is more valuable than he comprehends

The world policeman argument. .. It could be a valid argument. The GOP has often been condemned for it over the years by Dems.

All Trump cares is about money? Need to review the various 'Trump threatens to close the border thread.' In those ones, the gripe is that Trump cares INSUFFICIENTLY about money.

The thinking behind the anti-Trumpism of Dems is often rather shaky and inconsistent. It might be curious to watch how that will manifest itself starting next week.

"OMG! Trump hasn't gone to visit the troops"

Then,

"OMG! Trump visited the troops!"

:lamo

Back
Top Bottom