• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] One of the Greats has fallen

Joechilli

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
RIP James Gandolphini

A working class hero

Last edited by a moderator:
He really had a way with the chicks too, judging from the picture. I loved his acting on The Sopranos.

Tony Soprano is a top-5 character in the history of television.

I never saw an episode of The Sopranos. Heard a lot about it but when I would see Gandolphini I would immediately think of his mafia character in True Romance... especially when he confronted Brad Pitt's stoned character.

On a side note... Brad Pitt's portrayal of a stoner in this movie, IMO, is second only to Sean Penn's Spiccoli character in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Last edited:
Love the episode where his degenerate gambler neighbor goes into debt and they take over his sporting goods store. Hated his wife and kids on the show. And his sister.

It was all the stress from being a Mafia boss :(

It was all the stress from being a Mafia boss :(

More like all the stress on his body from being fat. If anyone can take anything from this it's that fat people just don't live very long.

It's sad. He was an incredibly talented actor with amazing stage presence.

I've never heard of him.

Oh! Welcome to the 21st century and civilization outside of a cave! James Gandolfini starred in The Sopranos, one of the most talked about and well known serial dramas...ever.

Oh! Welcome to the 21st century and civilization outside of a cave! James Gandolfini starred in The Sopranos, one of the most talked about and well known serial dramas...ever.
That's new.....saying I live in a cave because I don't watch TV....I thought that was the other way around.

That's new.....saying I live in a cave because I don't watch TV....I thought that was the other way around.

Says the guy who regularly uses the internet.

One of the greats? I can think of at least 20 actors with more depth and breth than him.
One hit TV series does not make a great.

One of the greats? I can think of at least 20 actors with more depth and breth than him.
One hit TV series does not make a great.

Good for you.

Make a youtube video of yourself performing a dramatic role, post it on DP and we'll judge you.

Good for you.

Make a youtube video of yourself performing a dramatic role, post it on DP and we'll judge you.
Well, um Iam not an actor.
And he and I are/were the same age and I havent eaten my way to a heart attack.
So dont get your panties in a bunch, I never said he wasnt any good. Just great is a little bit of a stretch.

More like all the stress on his body from
being fat. If anyone can
take anything from this it's that fat people just don't live very long.

It's sad. He was an incredibly talented actor with amazing stage presence.

There is a good book written about the behind the scenes drama that was prevalent in the making of the Sopranos.

He was not only Over weight but he was also a drinker and did drugs, wouldn't show up for tapings and once dissapeared for 5 days until he walked into a beauty shop and phoned a studio for a ride home.

I'm a fan of the show but within reason, of the actor not so much.

A guy like him, that behaved the way he did off the set wouldn't be much of a inspiration to any one.

But because they parked a camera in front of him, with a major cable network pooring billions into the production of the Sopranos, with high priced talented writers, he's now look on as a " gifted human being".

As are most actors and musicians that die young.

Which does not in itself make him one of the "greats".
Paul Newman, one of the greats.
Steve McQueen, one of the greats.
Robert DiNero, one of the greats.
Al Pacino, one of the greats.
Robert Mitchum, one of the greats.
Clint Eastwood, one of the greats.
Marlon Brando, one of the greats.
All actors with great range and more believable in many roles.
Even current actors like Tom Cruise, Sean Penn, Matt Damon have more range.
Maybe its because of his untimely death that people are gushing over him, but all I ever saw out of him was thugs, and a mob boss.
I do sympathize for his children and loved ones.

I've never heard of him.

You're not missing much.

All mafia shows and movies is completely interchangeable.

The only work anyone really knows him for is exactly the same as every other mafia boss that you've seen in movies.

Which does not in itself make him one of the "greats".
Paul Newman, one of the greats.
Steve McQueen, one of the greats.
Robert DiNero, one of the greats.
Al Pacino, one of the greats.
Robert Mitchum, one of the greats.
Clint Eastwood, one of the greats.
Marlon Brando, one of the greats.
All actors with great range and more believable in many roles.
Even current actors like Tom Cruise, Sean Penn, Matt Damon have more range.
Maybe its because of his untimely death that people are gushing over him, but all I ever saw out of him was thugs, and a mob boss.
I do sympathize for his children and loved ones.

we throw the word "great" around too much ... I agree, and in the end, your sympathies have to be for the ones who loved him and he loved ... just as it should be with anyone who passes ... this fascination with actors, sports stars, etc. is not healthy ... I have much more admiration for teachers, doctors, garbage collectors, mechanics, etc. who go to work everyday and do their jobs well for people like us ...

I never did watch him in the gangster sitcoms but I have to wonder what made this one 'great'? Was he anything more than a guy who could look tough and appealed to little boys pretending that they were mobsters? A move star?

Enlighten us on the 'great' part. A Mozart? A Beethoven? A dead US president likeness in some way? And the 'fallen' bit? Something more than just dead like ordinary people are prone to get from overeating that causes obesity?

Says the guy who regularly uses the internet.
....from a Droid while out doing things...right now I'm waiting for my sgt to come pick up our team so we can move more trucks and construction equipment since Annual Training ends tomorrow. ...yeah I'm really in cave.

Last edited:
I've never heard of him.

me neither.....i heard of the show but never watched a single episode, as with many other TV shows past and current

Well, um Iam not an actor.
And he and I are/were the same age and I havent eaten my way to a heart attack.
So dont get your panties in a bunch, I never said he wasnt any good. Just great is a little bit of a stretch.

Okay. I just think Gandolfini is a talented enough actor that he should make it through a RIP thread without criticism of his abilities. Maybe that's just me.

....from a Droid while out doing things...right now I'm waiting for my sgt to come pick up our team so we can move more trucks and construction equipment since Annual Training ends tomorrow. ...yeah I'm really in cave.

wow, that's, um....really amazing.

Back
Top Bottom