• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One of my biggest problems with illegal immigrants

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
One of my biggest problems with illegal immigrants is not them committing crimes, it is the liberals supporting multiculturalism. They are so afraid of being called racists and bigots they believe these people do not have to assimilate to our culture.

I can tell you the immigrants that were coming in our country in the 50-70s were very proud people that wanted to be Americans. They wanted to assimilate and embrace American culture. They embraced being called Mexican American, or Japanese American etc...

Today, immigration advocates demand the complete opposite. Come to our country, use our resources but do not assimilate because America is racist.

People that come to our country should take pride in being an American. They should want to adopt American principles and ideals like hard work and self-reliant. It seems asking these people to show pride in America is no longer acceptable?

That is a major problem. By not demanding them to assimilate, it is more likely these people will hold views that are grotesque to us. Support of Anti Semitism, support of genocide, etc

One of my biggest problems with illegal immigrants is not them committing crimes, it is the liberals supporting multiculturalism. They are so afraid of being called racists and bigots they believe these people do not have to assimilate to our culture.

I can tell you the immigrants that were coming in our country in the 50-70s were very proud people that wanted to be Americans. They wanted to assimilate and embrace American culture. They embraced being called Mexican American, or Japanese American etc...

Today, immigration advocates demand the complete opposite. Come to our country, use our resources but do not assimilate because America is racist.

People that come to our country should take pride in being an American. They should want to adopt American principles and ideals like hard work and self-reliant. It seems asking these people to show pride in America is no longer acceptable?

That is a major problem. By not demanding them to assimilate, it is more likely these people will hold views that are grotesque to us. Support of Anti Semitism, support of genocide, etc

Most undocumented people I know work 2 or 3 jobs.

Personally, I expect anyone who wishes to live here to incorporate into themselves the general culture of America.

They can of course keep their own culture, so long as it does not contradict american culture.

I expect it will take at least a generation from arrival to complete the process though.
And to some degree it's completely reasonable for America to incorporate their culture into our own.

I think you're wrong about matters though.
What you're arguing against seems more like a propaganda caricature of things.

You want to know who are some of the worst at integrating into our society? The rich.

They buy their own gated communities to set them apart from the rest of us. They buy their own private schools. They buy health insurance that many of us could never afford. And then when one little tiny scratch happens, they go bananas.

But immigrants? Just the opposite. They jump right into our culture because they have to. They have to just to survive. Language is their only real barrier, and if local and state governments would shell out the modest expense it would take to provide them with English classes, then even this wouldn't be a problem.

Uh, can you support your argument by providing evidence that people immigrating here are not trying to assimilate? I certainly see them getting onboard with the program better and faster than I see some 10th generation Americans who seem to want to buck the system at every turn. Look at any engineering school, and you'll see it filled with mostly immigrants, especially in the post-grad classes.

I don’t think immigration advocates tell immigrants not to assimilate. It would do no good. They will assimilate within a generation or two, just as my grandparents and parents did. There might be exceptions, or rather more slow assimilation by Mexican immigrants in the southwest due to the proximity of their home country and the number of Spanish-speakers in the US. But there has always been a fear or concern about immigrants dating back a century and a half. Good book on the topic is “A Nation if Strangers” by Ellis Cose, written a few years ago.

That is the least of my concerns personally...

My main reason for disliking illegal immigration is the support of human trafficking, the lack of justice and fairness to those who do it legally, and the ability to keep our people and borders safe(from disease, violence, foreign actors, poverty etc.)

I would hazard a guess that many/most illegal immigrants are more "hardworking" and "self-reliant" than many/most of those in Middle America who are constantly complaining about them. The anger of the white working class stems from the fact that they can't compete with immigrants, who are eager to work longer hours for less pay than they are.

Really, they should be angry at the conservative and christian leaders who have indoctrinated them into an anti-intellectual, anti-science, anti-fact worldview that leaves them unable to compete in a modern economy. Instead they slather hatred born from resentment on intellectuals and liberals and immigrants. Go figure.

Last edited:
That is the least of my concerns personally...

My main reason for disliking illegal immigration is the support of human trafficking, the lack of justice and fairness to those who do it legally, and the ability to keep our people and borders safe(from disease, violence, foreign actors, poverty etc.)

I also do not like how illegal immigrants are sitting ducks for being exploited. There is a story out now in LA about the Catholic clergy putting pedophile priests into the illegal community because they knew those people could not complain without risking deportation. Now, that is some sick ****.

I would hazard a guess that many/most illegal immigrants are more "hardworking" and "self-reliant" than many/most of those in Middle America who are constantly complaining about them. The anger of the white working class stems from the fact that they can't compete with immigrants, who are eager to work longer hours for less pay than they are.

Really, they should be angry at the conservative and christian leaders who have indoctrinated them into an anti-intellectual, anti-science, anti-fact worldview that leaves them unable to compete in a modern economy. Instead they slather hatred born from resentment on intellectuals and liberals and immigrants. Go figure.

That (bolded above) kind of competition is simply a race to the bottom.

I don't disagree. Employers should not be able to pay an illegal immigrant less than they could pay an American citizen (they shouldn't be hiring illegal immigrants at all).

But I was responding to the idea that illegal immigrants are not hard working or self-reliant.

I don't disagree. Employers should not be able to pay an illegal immigrant less than they could pay an American citizen (they shouldn't be hiring illegal immigrants at all).

But I was responding to the idea that illegal immigrants are not hard working or self-reliant.

As wages drop from use of illegal immigrant labor, even hard working US citizens may no longer be self-relient.

Sadly your post shows how little is known of the culture out west of those both north and south of the border.

My city is celebrating it 300 year anniversary. The border has been there 100 years.

SMH...what culture are you talking about?

There are protocols in place to become a citizen. For obvious reasons, there is no excuse for not following them. No one should be complaining about anyone going thru legitimate channels to become Americans. On the other hand, we should have much tighter border control and deal with the people already here.

Jmo

That is not correct. Aliens compete for jobs and owners compete for good workers.

Once an alien has established himself as a good worker, his value shoots up just like any other worker. The market dictates his wage.

As wages drop from use of illegal immigrant labor, even hard working US citizens may no longer be self-relient.
True, although I think that illegal immigration overall is less of a problem than outsourcing and mechanization of working class jobs.

True, although I think that illegal immigration overall is less of a problem than outsourcing and mechanization of working class jobs.

Overall you are right but you can't outsource construction or lawn maintenance jobs but you can use third world labor to do them here.

Overall you are right but you can't outsource construction or lawn maintenance jobs but you can use third world labor to do them here.
That's true, and as I wrote previously, employers shouldn't be hiring illegal immigrants for those jobs. Nannies and housekeepers, same thing. I think they hire them, however, because they can pay them less for ultimately the same quality of work. Which brings me back to the original point about immigrants being hardworking and self-reliant (or at least driven to become so). I think we have a problem in this country where poorer Americans attach a stigma to many low skills jobs and also have serious tardiness and absenteeism problems when they do take those jobs. And this is not a predominantly black or urban problem, as I know some have suggested. The problem is every bit as bad, if not worse, in the heart of Trump country.

I really do believe that the core of Middle America's recent focus on illegal immigration is resentment over having to compete with individuals who are willing to work harder, longer, and for less than these Americans feel they should have to. Since the GOP is unwilling to acknowledge its culpability in making their base non-competitive, with its pro-outsourcing and -mechanization and anti-intellectual policies, they have led the base to believe that illegal immigrants are the cause of all of their woes.

Last edited:
That's true, and as I wrote previously, employers shouldn't be hiring illegal immigrants for those jobs. Nannies and housekeepers, same thing. I think they hire them, however, because they can pay them less for ultimately the same quality of work. Which brings me back to the original point about immigrants being hardworking and self-reliant (or at least driven to become so). I think we have a problem in this country where poorer Americans attach a stigma to many low skills jobs and also have serious tardiness and absenteeism problems when they do take those jobs. And this is not a predominantly black or urban problem, as I know some have suggested. The problem is every bit as bad, if not worse, in the heart of Trump country.

I really do believe that the core of Middle America's recent focus on illegal immigration is resentment over having to compete with individuals who are willing to work harder, longer, and for less than these Americans feel they should have to. Since the GOP is unwilling to acknowledge its culpability in making their base non-competitive, with its pro-outsourcing and -mechanization and anti-intellectual policies, they have led the base to believe that illegal immigrants are the cause of all of their woes.

That (bolded above) is not normally the case. Many will claim to be able to do a quality job for less but much of my business (as a self-employed handyman) is fixing the messes (sometimes dangerous and not done to code) left by a prior "discount" contractor. I don't even bother to try to bid against these folks and rely 100% on repeat customers and their referrals.

Liberals, rich white ones, are trying to create a new world order with them in charge... the more racist policies and open border immigration that they can allow the better because then they can lead the brown and black masses from their ivory towers and gated communities while the rest of the white people suffer...

Uh, can you support your argument by providing evidence that people immigrating here are not trying to assimilate? I certainly see them getting onboard with the program better and faster than I see some 10th generation Americans who seem to want to buck the system at every turn. Look at any engineering school, and you'll see it filled with mostly immigrants, especially in the post-grad classes.

Here is my biggest problems with liberals supporting some of these thugs:

Justin Trudeau is one of the biggest culprits:

"Canada's citizenship guide informs newcomers that FGM is a crime in Canada. However Canada's prime minister has decided to delete this information," Rempel charged.

The MP was referencing a working copy of the new citizenship guide the government is preparing. The draft, which was obtained by The Canadian Press in the summer, reportedly omits lines stating that certain "barbaric cultural practices," such as FGM and honour killings, are illegal in Canada. The previous Tory government included those warnings in their overhauls of the guide.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/...-fgm-warning-in-citizenship-guide_a_23292216/

In summary: Canada has a written citizenship guide that provides a warning that female genital mutilation (FGM) is a crime in Canada. Trudeau was one of the biggest leaders in trying to remove that statement until he received massive backlash.

A social justice warrior like Trudeau cares more about not offending immigrants who basically are committing barbaric practices as a cultural issue rather than condemning these animals for their sick practices.

This is a guy that said:

“The Liberal party believes that terrorists should get to keep their Canadian citizenship. Because I do. And I’m willing to take on anyone who disagrees with that” because, “a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian.”

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/trudeau-doesnt-understand-the-nature-of-evil

Here is my biggest problems with liberals supporting some of these thugs:

Justin Trudeau is one of the biggest culprits:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/...-fgm-warning-in-citizenship-guide_a_23292216/

In summary: Canada has a written citizenship guide that provides a warning that female genital mutilation (FGM) is a crime in Canada. Trudeau was one of the biggest leaders in trying to remove that statement until he received massive backlash.

A social justice warrior like Trudeau cares more about not offending immigrants who basically are committing barbaric practices as a cultural issue rather than condemning these animals for their sick practices.

This is a guy that said:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/trudeau-doesnt-understand-the-nature-of-evil

I don't much care what Canada does...but, I would get a kick out of it if Trudeau boinked Ivanka.

Seriously... the US is built on multi-culturalism.

As for integration... lol Yea right. That is way you don't have places like Little Italy or Chinatown because you know that these immigrants instantly assimilated when they arrived.

Integration for immigrants takes generations. It took generations for the Irish to go from unwanted people like blacks and dogs.. to what you have today. Same goes for Italians, Polish and so on. Some are still discriminated against in the US.. blacks, Latinos and even the native Americans...

On top of that American immigrants (or European) hardly integrate enmass when they move country. Some do, but most don't and the more alien a country is the less integration.

I have lived in many countries during my life, and in no country did immigrants integrate or even attempt to integrate.. at least the first generation.

Here in Spain there are tons of expats who have been here foe 20 plus years and don't speak Spanish or integrate. Funny enough they complain often about immigrants in the home country not integrating...

When I lived in the Middle East... immigrants there from the US and Europe more than not lived in specially built western compounds... how is that for integration?

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom