• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

One Nation, Under God

Duke said:
I did not flat-out say god does not exist, I added my disclaimer. I am not changing what I said, I am elaborating. I am sticking to my argument, and if you read the whole thing, you will know where I am coming from, and my logic.

Duke

:roll: Keep thinking that! You think wrong though. If you did not say God does not exist, why did you write it? As far as any facts show, THERE IS NO GOD. The way you wrote it, straight up says, THERE IS NO GOD.. I dont know why you are trying to dodge away from this.. Its not a "disclaimer" as you say! What the hell are you trying to disclaim anyway?

AK_Conservative said:
No, a BELIEF on no fact is not ridiculous. A belief is not a fact! Its a choice of faith (in this particular suject)! Now to say it is fact, then maybe so, but not a belief. That is why it is called a BELIEF! Durrr? You are combining two totally diferent words and giving them the same meaning!

A belief that is based on no facts whatsoever is, in my opinion, ridiculous. You must have misread what I said.

Duke

AK_Conservative said:
:roll: Keep thinking that! You think wrong though. If you did not say God does not exist, why did you write it? As far as any facts show, THERE IS NO GOD. The way you wrote it, straight up says, THERE IS NO GOD.. I dont know why you are trying to dodge away from this.. Its not a "disclaimer" as you say! What the hell are you trying to disclaim anyway?

The statment, "there is no god" is modifed by the part in front of it, "as far as the facts show". Not quite straight up.
No offense, but you have quite the thick skull.

Duke

Duke said:
A belief that is based on no facts whatsoever is, in my opinion, ridiculous. You must have misread what I said.

Duke

For the last time, NO I DID NOT! lol damn.. I guess if someone has a contridicting argument with you, you think they misread it! I think what you said is ridiculous and i said why! Have you ever had a belief in something? Doesnt matter what it was.. just something.. Take for instance, Your favorite tv show! You believe that show to be the best on tv.. But what factual evidence supports that? None, for all you know, The biggest loser could have been the best tv show. So to say that having a belief in something is ignorant, then your saying that you are ignorant as well becuase you MUST have beliefs!

galenrox said:
Well dude, the same then goes for believing that there's no God. Religion is based on faith, which is believing in something in the absense of fact. For example, you don't know for a fact that we're not all actors, like in the Truman show. There are no facts that show that we aren't all actors, and just very good ones. Yet I'm assuming that you believe that we are all normal people who are really living our lives. That is belief in the absense of fact. There is no facts proving either way, and thus your belief that we are not all actors would be considered ridiculous by your previous logic.

The "Truman Show" theory, in my mind equates to the belief in god. It cannot actually be proven or disproven, and it is up to your common sense or personal beliefs to decide.

Duke

danarhea said:
First, if you study the history of the early days of America, you will plainly see that they were not referring to mothers, but God. So much for hair splitting based on a lack of knowledge. Now to the meat of my reply.

If you read the First Amendment, is says that there shall be no ESTABLISHMENT of religion. It does not say that people cannot worship however they see fit, whether that be a citizen or a leader.

Now, I agree that religion should not be forced into schools, as that would violate the Amendment. However, those who believe in a creator should have the right to hold their own meetings and other functions in a school, after school, since secular activities after school are also allowed. The left goes too far in restricting the right of people to worhship, and in that respect, I would say the religious right is correct in complaining that Christians are discriminated against to some degree.

Although the First Amendment does have an establishment clause, there is nothing that says the government can restrict the right to worship, only that worship cannot be forced upon citizens who are not religious.

Finally, your argument (actually, you are talking around the Q) does not mitigate in the least the fact that our forefathers were, in general, religious people, who felt that the creation of America was due to divine providence. If you also look at the early history of America, you will find that religious people comprised the vast majority of our leaders. Yes, I would stipulate that the term "under God" was very relevant and, considering the makeup of Amercia today, still is.

Who can't worship god? There is not one instance where people have had their right to worship abridged. The founding fathers argument is weak at best. They were not divine. They believed in slave ownership and oppressing women. I guess they were wrong about some things huh?

AK_Conservative said:
For the last time, NO I DID NOT! lol damn.. I guess if someone has a contridicting argument with you, you think they misread it! I think what you said is ridiculous and i said why! Have you ever had a belief in something? Doesnt matter what it was.. just something.. Take for instance, Your favorite tv show! You believe that show to be the best on tv.. But what factual evidence supports that? None, for all you know, The biggest loser could have been the best tv show. So to say that having a belief in something is ignorant, then your saying that you are ignorant as well becuase you MUST have beliefs!

The TV show example is based on personal opinions on what is good, and what you like. Someone may have a opinion that contradicts that, but that is the basis of opinions.
The god or not is also based on beliefs, but I have my belief because lack of evidence to the contrary.

Duke

Duke said:
The TV show example is based on personal opinions on what is good, and what you like. Someone may have a opinion that contradicts that, but that is the basis of opinions.
The god or not is also based on beliefs, but I have my belief because lack of evidence to the contrary.

Duke

AH HA! So you admit it! You have a belief! Your opinion on God parallels belief! Therefore, your previous statement is contradictory.. You pretty much said, if you believe in something, it is ridiculous.. no matter how u believe it, that is not the point!

galenrox said:
Exactly my point. So thus you admit that believing in religion is actually not ridiculous?

Whether it is ridiculous or not is strictly an opinion. I, personally, think it is downright CRRAAAAAAZZY..... ;)

Duke

When you say that something exists, the burden of proof is on those who profess that it exists. You can't prove that invisible flying elephants don't exist. It is not a question of faith. You don't need proof to disprove that something doesn't exist if it has never been proven to exist.

AK_Conservative said:
AH HA! So you admit it! You have a belief! Your opinion on God parallels belief! Therefore, your previous statement is contradictory.. You pretty much said, if you believe in something, it is ridiculous.. no matter how u believe it, that is not the point!

Well, technically, it is lack of belief, which is, in turn, technically a belief, although it is a lack of belief.......
No, it depend on what you believe. If you belive that JFK was a good president, and you have facts to support it, that is perfectly normal, and thus not ridiculous. If you have no reason to believe what you believe, I classify that as at least a little strange.

Damn, this is practcally a chat room. :smile:

Duke

galenrox said:
Wait, but you just admitted to holding a religious belief yourself, that there is no God. Your religion and mine have equal logic behind them, so thus it would be inconsistent to claim your beliefs are valid and mine are crazy.

No, not a religious belief, per se, lack of a religuos belief. If it is a religious belif, it has all the facts behind it, while yours has none. One can make whatever they want out of that.
I was kidding about the CRRAAAAAZZZZYY, take a hint at the winking smily. ;)

Duke

galenrox said:
Actually believing that there is no God isn't a lack of belief. Being agnostic is, but actually believing there is no God when there's no proof either way is a belief, not a lack there of.

Well, whether believing that there is no God is lack of belief or not, I have no beliefs. End of that story.

Duke

You people make me laugh at your "belief" that the invisible spaghetti monster doesn't exist.

AK_Conservative said:
Now to the main question...

In the above post, i posted i was not a religious man. We can all agree that History is important. History defines a culture, or atleast what a culture was! I like to look at the quote "One Nation under God" with more of a historical perspective, not religious. Though, this is up to interpretation! Therefore, I personally believe that we should in fact leave "One Nation, Under God" in the U.S. society, if its the pledge, money, or whatever it may be!

It's not even historical. "Under God" wasn't added to the Pledge of Allegiance, or paper currency, until the 1950s. It was added because of McCarthyism, thinking that having a reference to God in the Pledge, and on the money, would force communists to reveal themselves.

MrFungus420 said:
It's not even historical. "Under God" wasn't added to the Pledge of Allegiance, or paper currency, until the 1950s. It was added because of McCarthyism, thinking that having a reference to God in the Pledge, and on the money, would force communists to reveal themselves.

1950's were in the past, hense.. history!

vauge said:
The Declaration of Independence declares that we have rights endowed by our creator.

I would say everyone whom signed it said that we are "under god".

You'd be wrong. The Declaration was 11 years and 2 governments before our current Constitutional government.

They created a secular state, by design. Why no meaningful mention of god in the Constitution if it is as you claim?

danarhea said:
If you read the First Amendment, is says that there shall be no ESTABLISHMENT of religion. It does not say that people cannot worship however they see fit, whether that be a citizen or a leader.

Actually the ban is far wider than that. It bans anything that even respects establishment, not just establishment.

danarhea said:
Finally, your argument (actually, you are talking around the Q) does not mitigate in the least the fact that our forefathers were, in general, religious people, who felt that the creation of America was due to divine providence. If you also look at the early history of America, you will find that religious people comprised the vast majority of our leaders. Yes, I would stipulate that the term "under God" was very relevant and, considering the makeup of Amercia today, still is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some of the things our founders and some selected other leaders had to say on this issue:

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law"
-- Thomas Jefferson in a letter dated 2-10-1814

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own. ....they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purpose."
-- Thomas Jefferson, to Horatio Spofford, March 17, 1814

"The office of reformer of the superstitions of a nation, is ever more dangerous. Jesus had to work on the perilous confines of reason and religion; and a step to the right or left might place him within the grasp of the priests of the superstition, a bloodthirsty race, as cruel and remorseless as the being whom they represented as the family God of Abraham, of Isaac and of Jacob, and the local God of Israel.
That Jesus did not mean to impose himself on mankind as the son of God, physically speaking, I have been convinced by the writings of men more learned than myself in that lore."
-- Thomas Jefferson, to Story, Aug. 4, 1820

"The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend all to the happiness of man.
But compare with these the demoralizing dogmas of Calvin:

"A professorship of Theology should have no place in our institution [the University of Virginia]."
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Thomas Cooper
October 7, 1814. From Gorton Carruth and Eugene Ehrlich,
eds., The Harper Book of American Quotations,
New York: Harper & Row, 1988, p. 492.]

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"
-- Letter to F. A. Van der Kamp from John Adams

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"The hocus-pocus phantasy of a God, like another Cerberus, with one body and three heads, had its birth and growth in the blood of thousands and thousands of martyrs."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson s Works
Vol. IV, 360, Randolph's ed.

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge J.S. Wakefield
after Willie Lincoln's death

"Ecclesiastical establishments tend to great ignorance and corruption, all of which facilitate the execution of mischievous projects."
-- James Madison, Letter to Bradford, January 1774,
from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr,
The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom

"The Christian system of religion is an outrage on common sense."
-- Thomas Paine

"The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation."
-- Treaty of Tripoli (1797) signed by John Adams
(the original language is by Joel Barlow, U.S. Consul.)

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"
-- Letter to F. A. Van der Kamp from John Adams

"The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule it by fictitious miracles?"
-- Letter to Thomas Jefferson from John Adams

"We should begin by setting conscience free. When all men of all religions ... shall enjoy equal liberty, property, and an equal chance for honors and power ... we may expect that improvements will be made in the human character and the state of society."
-- Letter to Dr. Price, April 8, 1785, from John Adams

"Civil liberty can be established on no foundation of human reason which will not at the same time demonstrate the right to religious freedom ... The tendency of the spirit of the age is strong toward religious liberty."
-- Letter to Richard Anderson May 27, 1823,
from John Q. Adams

"In regard to religion, mutual toleration in the different professions thereof is what all good and candid minds in all ages have ever practiced, and both by precept and example inculcated on mankind ..."
-- The Rights of the Colonists (1771) by Samuel Adams

"I have generally been denominated a Deist, the reality of which I never disputed, being conscious I am no Christian, except mere infant baptism makes me one; and as to being a Deist, I know not strictly speaking, whether I am one or not."
-- preface, Reason the Only Oracle of Man
by Ethan Allen

"What you should say to outsiders that a Christian has neither more nor less rights in our Association than an atheist. When our platform becomes too narrow for people of all creeds and of no creeds, I myself shall not stand upon it."
-- Susan B. Anthony: ABiography, by Kathleen Barry,
New York University Press, 1988, p.310

"I have seldom met an intelligent person whose views were not narrowed and distorted by religion."
-- James Buchanan: from Rufus K. Noyes,
Views of Religion, also James A. Haught,
ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

"All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty."
-- Henry Clay: Address, U. S. House of Representatives,
March 24, 1818, (from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr,
The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom)

"In this country there is no alliance between church and state, no established religion, no tolerated religion -- for toleration results from establishment -- but religious freedom guaranteed by the Constitution and consecrated by the social compact."
-- DeWitt Clinton: 1813, from Albert J. Menendez
and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations on Religious Freedom

"The sole purpose and effect of it [Article VI] is to exclude persecution and to secure the important right of religious liberty."
-- Oliver Ellsworth: Philip B. Kurland and Ralph Lerner (eds.),
The Founder's Constitution, University of Chicago Press,
1987, Vol. 4, p. 638, from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr,

"I am tolerant of all creeds. Yet if any sect suffered itself to be used for political objects I would meet it by political opposition. In my view church and state should be separate, not only in form, but fact. Religion and politics should not be mingled."
-- Millard Fillmore: Address during 1856 Presidential election,
from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations
on Religious Freedom

PART 2
---------------------------------------
"Many a long dispute among divines may be thus abridged: It is so; It is not so. It is so; it is not so."
-- Benjamin Franklin: Poor Richard's Almanack, 1743

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."
-- Benjamin Franklin: Poor Richard's Almanack, 1758

"He [the Rev. Mr. Whitefield] used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard."
-- -- from Franklin's Autobiography

"Indeed, when religious people quarrel about religion, or hungry people quarrel about victuals, it looks as if they had not much of either among them."
-- (Quoted by Joseph Lewis in Benjamin Franklin -- Freethinker)

"In 1850, I believe, the church property in the United States, which paid no tax, amounted to $87 million. In 1900, without a check, it is safe to say, this property will reach a sum exceeding $3 billion. I would suggest the taxation of all property equally."
-- Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885), 18th U.S. President,
from Rufus K. Noyes, Views of Religion, also James A. Haught,
ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

"The United States, knowing no distinction of her own citizens on account of religion or nationality, naturally believes in a civilization the world over which will secure the same universal laws."
-- Ulysses S. Grant, Letter appointing the U.S. Consul
at Bucharest, Rumania, December 18, 1870,
from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great
Quotations on Religious Freedom

"Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church and the private school supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate."
-- Ulysses S. Grant, Address to the Army of the Tennessee,
Des Moines, Iowa, September 25, 1875, from
Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great

"I could not do otherwise without transcending the limits prescribed by the Constitution for the President and without feeling that I might in some degree disturb the security which religion nowadays enjoys in this country in its complete separation from the political concerns of the General Government."
-- -- Andrew Jackson, Statement refusing to proclaim
a national day of fasting and prayer, from George Seldes,
The Great Quotations, p. 167, (from Albert J.
Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great Quotations
on Religious Freedom)

"[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me [as President] will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. But this is all they have to fear from me: and enough, too, in their opinion."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Rush, 1800.

"Are we to have a censor whose imprimatur shall say what books may be sold, and what we may buy? And who is thus to dogmatize religious opinions for our citizens? Whose foot is to be the measure to which ours are all to be cut or stretched? Is a priest to be our inquisitor, or shall a layman, simple as ourselves, set up his reason as the rule of what we are to read, and what we must believe?"
-- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dufief, April 19, 1814

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson: Statute for Religious Freedom, 1779.

"No man [should] be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor [should he] be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor ... otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief ... All men [should] be free to profess and by argument to maintain their opinions in matters of religion, and ... the same [should] in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."
-- Thomas Jefferson: Statute for Religious Freedom, 1779.

"Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must approve the homage of reason rather than of blind-folded fear. Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of its consequences.... If it end in a belief that there is no god, you will find incitements to virtue in the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its exercise and in the love of others it will procure for you."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 10 Aug. 1787.
(original capitalization of "god" retained)

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, 1813

"Mr. Lincoln was not a Christian."
-- Mary Todd Lincoln

"What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; in many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient allies."
-- James Madison

"In no instance have ... the churches been guardians of the liberties of people."
-- James Madison

"A just government, instituted to perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy."
-- James Madison

"That diabolical, hell-conceived principle of persecution rages among some, and to their eternal infamy the clergy can furnish their quota of imps for such a business."
-- James Madison, Letter to Bradford, January 1774,
from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr,

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution."
-- James Madison

"All national institutions of churches appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
-- Thomas Paine

"There is scarcely any part of science, or anything in nature, which those imposters and blasphemers of science, called priests, as well Christians as Jews, have not, at some time or other, perverted, or sought to pervert to the purpose of superstition and falsehood."
-- Thomas Paine

"Everything wonderful in appearance has been ascribed to angels, to devils, or to saints. Everything ancient has some legendary tale annexed to it. The common operations of nature have not escaped their practice of corrupting everything."
-- Thomas Paine

"No falsehood is so fatal as that which is made an article of faith."
-- Thomas Paine

"The Christian system of religion is an outrage on common sense."
-- Thomas Paine

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
-- Thomas Paine

"Yet this is trash that the Church imposes upon the world as the Word of God; this is the collection of lies and contradictions called the Holy Bible! this is the rubbish called Revealed Religion!"
-- Thomas Paine

"It was under a solemn consciousness of the dangers from ecclesiastical ambition, the bigotry of spiritual pride, and the intolerance of sects.... that it was deemed advisable to exclude from the national government all power to act upon the subject."
-- Justice Joseph Story, quoted in M. Searle Bates,
Religious Liberty: An Inquiry (1945) p. 90,
(from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great

"Let it be henceforth proclaimed to the world that man's conscience was created free; that he is no longer accountable to his fellow man for his religious opinions, being responsible therefore only to his God."
-- John Tyler, Caroline Thomas Harnsberger,
Treasury of Presidential Quotations (1964) p. 38,
(from Albert J. Menendez and Edd Doerr, The Great

"The Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion."
-- George Washington, 1796

PART 3
------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The good news for you is I did find a world leader who advocated a chruch and state mix as you do:

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such a school has no religious instruction and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air" Hitler Munich 1920's

"We must turn all the sentiments of the Volk, all its thinking, acting, even its beliefs, away from the anti-Christian, smug individualism of the past, from the egotism and stupid Phariseeism of personal arrogance, and we must educate the youth in particular in the spirit of those of Christ's words " Hitler

"It will be the Government's care to maintain honest cooperation between Church and State; the struggle against materialistic views and for a real national community is just as much in the interest of the German nation as in that of the welfare of our Christian faith." (At the Reichstag, March 23, 1933)

"But there is something else I believe, and that is that there is a God. . . . And this God again has blessed our efforts during the past 13 years." (Munich, Feb. 24, 1940)

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. . . As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice.... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people." (Munich, April 12, 1922)

AK_Conservative said:
Now to the main question...

In the above post, i posted i was not a religious man. We can all agree that History is important. History defines a culture, or atleast what a culture was! I like to look at the quote "One Nation under God" with more of a historical perspective, not religious. Though, this is up to interpretation! Therefore, I personally believe that we should in fact leave "One Nation, Under God" in the U.S. society, if its the pledge, money, or whatever it may be!

You do realize, don't you, that it was not added to the pledge until 1954 don't you?

AK_Conservative said:

Sorry but what he posted does not in any way say that there is no god. He clearly said, and it is a fact, that as far as any facts show there is no god. As there is not one factual datum to prove god exists he is both factually and grammatically correct. The fact his use of a term of art evades you does not mean it is not there.

By the way the religious daily try and force their fact-less beliefs upon us all, and without proof I will always fight it. Being that the burden of proof is always upon the claimants, they have a lot of proving to do.

Vandeervecken said:
Sorry but what he posted does not in any way say that there is no god. He clearly said, and it is a fact, that as far as any facts show there is no god. As there is not one factual datum to prove god exists he is both factually and grammatically correct. The fact his use of a term of art evades you does not mean it is not there.

By the way the religious daily try and force their fact-less beliefs upon us all, and without proof I will always fight it. Being that the burden of proof is always upon the claimants, they have a lot of proving to do.

as you read more of his posts, you will see that what he ment by the statement is that since there is no proof there is a god, a god does not exist, then later he changes his statement!

AK_Conservative said:
as you read more of his posts, you will see that what he ment by the statement is that since there is no proof there is a god, a god does not exist, then later he changes his statement!

He has not changed what he said. I've read the entire thread. The fact that you are misunderstanding what is clearly written, is not his fault.

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, & to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

Patrick Henry in 1776 wrote, “It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great Nation was founded not be religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For that reason alone, people of other faiths have been afforded freedom of worship here.”

On July 4, 1821, President Adams said, “The highest glory of the American Revolution was it connected in one indissoluble bond the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.”

President Coolidge reaffirmed this truth when he wrote, “The foundations of our society & our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our society.”

In 1782, the United States Congress voted this resolution: “The Congress of the United States recommends & approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools.”

It was the Continental Congress that formed the American Bible Society, & immediately after creating the Declaration of Independence, voted to purchase & import 20,000 copies of Scripture for the people of this nation.

Take a look at what our Supreme Court has said about religion:

"…our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian." -- U.S. Supreme Court, 1892.

"We are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being." -- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas, in 1952.

From 1892 to 1952 our Supreme Court saw religion, & specifically Christianity, essential in governance & application of the law.

Thomas Jefferson has been quoted in support & rejection of religion being intertwined with our government. Although, actions speak louder than words. Here are a few historical moments in his public life:

In 1774, while in the Virginia Assembly, Jefferson introduced a resolution calling for a Day of Fasting and Prayer.

In 1779, as Governor of Virginia, Jefferson decreed a day of “Public and solemn thanksgiving and prayer to Almighty God.”

As President, Jefferson signed bills that appropriated financial support for chaplains in Congress and the armed services.

On March 4, 1805, President Jefferson offered “A National Prayer for Peace,” which petitioned: “Almighty God, Who has given us this good land for our heritage…Endow with Thy spirit of wisdom those to whom in Thy Name we entrust the authority of government…and that through obedience to Thy law…suffer not our trust in Thee to fail; all of which we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.”

Even our Constitution was signed “In the year of our Lord.” Throughout our history religion & morality have been so intertwined with our government it would be ludicrous to separate them now.

If I am confined to my home or church to practice my faith, then my rights will be violated. The First Amendment guarantees us the freedom of religion, not from religion.

Back
Top Bottom