• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One in five Californians say they need mental health care

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

One in five Californians say they need mental health care - latimes.com

Almost 5 million California adults say they could use help with a mental or emotional problem, according to a survey released Wednesday by researchers at UCLA. About 1 million of them meet the criteria for "serious psychological distress."

However, only one in three people who perceive a need for mental health services or are in serious distress have seen a professional for treatment, the survey found.

No ****, That actually seems low to me. :ssst: :doh

NIMH · The Numbers Count: Mental Disorders in America

Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.1 When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people.2 Even though mental disorders are widespread in the population, the main burden of illness is concentrated in a much smaller proportion — about 6 percent, or 1 in 17 — who suffer from a serious mental illness.1 In addition, mental disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and Canada.3 Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time. Nearly half (45 percent) of those with any mental disorder meet criteria for 2 or more disorders, with severity strongly related to comorbidity.1

Looks like they have lower than average rate.

Everyone who lives there needs mental health care. It's ****ing Cali.

No ****, That actually seems low to me. :ssst: :doh

When will people (Americans in particular) understand and just accept that being unhappy is just part of life?

The sooner many people let go of their fairytale notions of what life *should be* and accept what life *is* then we'd see a lot less miserable people floating around claiming to be depressed and suffering from other issues.

When will people (Americans in particular) understand and just accept that being unhappy is just part of life?

The sooner many people let go of their fairytale notions of what life *should be* and accept what life *is* then we'd see a lot less miserable people floating around claiming to be depressed and suffering from other issues.

I agree, and it cheapens and increases the stigma for those who truly suffer.

One in five Californians say they need mental health care - latimes.com

Almost 5 million California adults say they could use help with a mental or emotional problem, according to a survey released Wednesday by researchers at UCLA. About 1 million of them meet the criteria for "serious psychological distress."

However, only one in three people who perceive a need for mental health services or are in serious distress have seen a professional for treatment, the survey found.

Probably means that almost 5 million California adults are soon to apply for Social Security Disability. What a crock. Looks like the pharma ads for anti-depressants targeting consumers are working just fine/

Looks to me like you guys are suffering from a severe case of jealousy. Just because your small state doesn't measure up is no need to feel inferior. You may not be able to pleasure the federal government with you flaccid amount of taxes, but at least you give it a try. =)

Looks to me like you guys are suffering from a severe case of jealousy. Just because your small state doesn't measure up is no need to feel inferior. You may not be able to pleasure the federal government with you flaccid amount of taxes, but at least you give it a try. =)

Dood...Clai is the one claiming the mental illness. Throw in the need for medicinal marijuana...the debacle that is ALL of LA county, the nightmare of San Francisco...

seriously...jealous? Hardly. I was born Californian. I escaped Kalifornia. And you can keep it. Personally? id be all for California declaring its indpendence and seceding. thats not rhetoric...Please...by all means...DO it.

....and the other 4 were either two stoned or had their head to far up their ass to hear the question.

....and the other 4 were either two stoned or had their head to far up their ass to hear the question.
The other 4 couldn't be reached because they were relaxing at the beach or local Coffee bean.

I've lived in California all my life (in the Conservative dominated south coastal Orange County) and must say 1 in 4 is closer when it comes to people I know that have attended psychiatrist sessions. What I have noticed that in our local society people actively seek help rather then bottling up their many issues.

WOW! that is an easy headline....LOL!

j-mac

Why do people in states that nobody gives two ****s about talk about California? Talk about being a hater. And it's always the ****ty states full of trash and retards. South Carolina, Virginia, New Jersey. I mean at least when New York was talking **** about us in the 90s we had something with class to deal with. But Illinois? I'm from a state where you can ski AND surf on the same day. You can see celebrities walking down the street and then hit a library with the budget of a small Midwest city. Why should I care what people in Nowhere'sville USA say about us?

Hi, I'm Californian. And I'm proud to be insane.

I bet most of their states can get a budget passed while we are always teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Just sayin'.

Why do people in states that nobody gives two ****s about talk about California? Talk about being a hater. And it's always the ****ty states full of trash and retards. South Carolina, Virginia, New Jersey. I mean at least when New York was talking **** about us in the 90s we had something with class to deal with. But Illinois? I'm from a state where you can ski AND surf on the same day. You can see celebrities walking down the street and then hit a library with the budget of a small Midwest city. Why should I care what people in Nowhere'sville USA say about us?

may you, your great state, and your 60 billion dollar budget deficit be eternally happy.

edit-That is...the those of you not on drugs, medicinal marijuana, the in in 5 that are mentally ill, the gang bangers killing each other (and the innocent bystanders), and the people in San Francisco in a rush to jump off the bridge...those guys are miserable...but the REST of you...BE HAPPY!!! PLEASE.

Last edited:
I bet most of their states can get a budget passed while we are always teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Just sayin'.

30statesGraphicA-popup.jpg

We're also paying some of the highest taxes in the country so we can send third world border hoppers' kids to school, while simultaneously having one of the worst school systems in the nation. We get our pockets picked by the state so they can turn around and hire nurses to give junkies their heroine injections at "safe houses". You have crime so bad that certain parts of the major cities are considered dead zones to public services, occasional city wide riots, and police that shoot handcuffed kids in the subway.

California is a **** hole and no amount of gold coast will ever change that unless something is done about the depravity of the people who run it. I just hope I make it out and to a more sane and worthy state like North Carolina or back to Alaska before this place gets its just desserts and falls off into the Pacific in an earthquake.

Last edited:
may you, your great state, and your 60 billion dollar budget deficit be eternally happy.

Ours is just more publicized than others even though their economical problems are disasters. California is not the worst.

That doesn't negate anything I said. Try again.

Which states were you talking about then? Alaska is clearly not that state.

Which states were you talking about then? Alaska is clearly not that state.

You aren't making any point about anything I stated. You are trying to make Alaska an issue because you know it's personal to me because I consider it home. I am not going to permit you to do that, especially with irrelevant information.

Alaska doesn't have a 10th of the budget issues that California has.

Ours is just more publicized than others even though their economical problems are disasters. California is not the worst.

NICE! "we have leprosy...but its not as bad as THEIRS. Yet..."

Gotta get that social spending in check...and school spending. Or tax the hell out of the illegal drug trade. Or go into business with them. SOMETHING...

Lived there. Hated it. Left. I'll take Alaska, Florida, Nevada, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, Maine, Utah, Montana, Kentucky, and even ****ing New York or Florida (all states I've either lived or spent considerable time in) over Cali any time. You can keep it. Hopefully one day the fault line will fix our problem for us and just separate Cali from the rest of the country.

Back
Top Bottom