• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One In 25 Americans Was Arrested In 2011

Just means we have some serious career criminals who get arrested so often, they skew the statistics.

Seriously--I know families and associated acquaintances that I am determined take warrants out on each other just because they have nothing better to do. "She cursed at me" "Well, he threatened me."

Just means we have some serious career criminals who get arrested so often, they skew the statistics.

Seriously--I know families and associated acquaintances that I am determined take warrants out on each other just because they have nothing better to do. "She cursed at me" "Well, he threatened me."

Actually, that's a very good point. The article does not say distinct individuals.

ETA: DOH! There is a "clarification" at the end noting this. :3oops:

Last edited:
Actually, that's a very good point. The article does not say distinct individuals.

ETA: DOH! There is a "clarification" at the end noting this. :3oops:

Yeah I didn't see that part either. For me it is life experience--in a few years of doing court-appointed criminal defense I often encountered people who were "very familiar to the Court" as the Judge termed it, and I saw them in court frequently whether they were my client or not.

Yeah I didn't see that part either. For me it is life experience--in a few years of doing court-appointed criminal defense I often encountered people who were "very familiar to the Court" as the Judge termed it, and I saw them in court frequently whether they were my client or not.

There's probably no realistic way to find out, but I'd be curious how the numbers would change if it were for how many people as distinct individuals have ever been arrested (whether just once or multiple times)?

There's probably no realistic way to find out, but I'd be curious how the numbers would change if it were for how many people as distinct individuals have ever been arrested (whether just once or multiple times)?

Here is the link to the report the article is based on. I did not go through the table (FBI — Persons Arrested)

It is worth noting that their "arrests" include being summonsed to court when one is not technically arrested.

The overview is:

Nationwide, law enforcement made an estimated 12,408,899 arrests in 2011. Of these arrests, 534,704 were for violent crimes, and 1,639,883 were for property crimes. (Note: the UCR Program does not collect data on citations for traffic violations.)

The highest number of arrests were for drug abuse violations (estimated at 1,531,251 arrests), larceny-theft (estimated at 1,264,986), and driving under the influence (estimated at 1,215,077).

The estimated arrest rate for the United States in 2011 was 3,991.1 arrests per 100,000 inhabitants. The arrest rate for violent crime (including murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) was 172.3 per 100,000 inhabitants, and the arrest rate for property crime (burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson) was 531.3 per 100,000 inhabitants.

Two-year arrest trends show violent crime arrests declined 4.9 percent in 2011 when compared with 2010 arrests, and property crime arrests decreased 0.1 percent when compared with the 2010 arrests.
Arrests of juveniles for all offenses decreased 11.1 percent in 2011 when compared with the 2010 number; arrests of adults declined 3.6 percent.

Over 74 percent (74.1) of the persons arrested in the nation during 2011 were males. They accounted for 80.4 percent of persons arrested for violent crime and 62.9 percent of persons arrested for property crime.
In 2011, 69.2 percent of all persons arrested were white, 28.4 percent were black, and the remaining 2.4 percent were of other races.

It's not hard to have the highest prison population per capita on the face of the earth when you make nearly everything illegal.

"According to the FBI, in 2011 there were 3991.1 arrests for every 100,000 people living in America. That means over the course of a single year, one in 25 Americans was arrested."
It doesn't mean that at all, of course. It is, however, a very big number. What are you guys doing to each other?

Well based on research conducted in 2009 an estimated 65 million adult Americans have a criminal record. That's 1 out of every 4 adults in the country, and that was 4 years ago. I'm not surprised the statistics show a 1/25 arrest ratio. In fact I am surprised it's that low. :shock:

NELP based the estimate of U.S. adults with criminal records on the following methodology. According to a 2008 survey of states, there were 92.3 million people with criminal records on file with states, including those individuals fingerprinted for serious misdemeanors and felony arrests. U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Survey of State Criminal History Information Systems, 2008 (Oct. 2009), at Table 1. In some states, misdemeanor arrests for less serious crimes do not require fingerprinting, thus this figure is likely an undercount of people with criminal records. To account for individuals who may have records in multiple states and other factors, and to arrive at a conservative national estimate, the 92.3 million figure was reduced by 30 percent (64.6 million). Thus, as a percentage of the U.S. population over the age of 18 (232,458,335 in 2009 according to the U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, available at http://www.census.gov/popest/national/asrh/NC-EST2009-sa.html), an estimated 27.8 percent of the U.S. adult population has a criminal record on file with states. This estimate is consistent with a Department of Justice finding that about “30 percent of the Nation’s adult population” has a state rap sheet. U.S. Dept. of Justice Office of the Attorney General, The Attorney General’s Report on Criminal History Background Checks (June 2006), at 51. The rise in people with criminal records may significantly be attributed to the increased arrests associated with the “War on Drugs.” See Ryan S. King, Disparity By Geography: The War on Drugs in America’s Cities, The Sentencing Project (May 2008).
http://www.nelp.org/page/-/65_Million_Need_Not_Apply.pdf?nocdn=1

So my fellow Americans, take a look around yourself tomorrow and at least one out of each four people you see will have a record.

Cheers! :coffeepap

Last edited:
Well based on research conducted in 2009 an estimated 65 million adult Americans have a criminal record. That's 1 out of every 4 adults in the country, and that was 4 years ago. I'm not surprised the statistics show a 1/25 arrest ratio. In fact I am surprised it's that low. :shock:

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/65_Million_Need_Not_Apply.pdf?nocdn=1

So my fellow Americans, take a look around yourself tomorrow and at least one out of each four people you see will have a record.

Cheers! :coffeepap
Being arrested, and being convicted are two vastly different things.

It's not hard to have the highest prison population per capita on the face of the earth when you make nearly everything illegal.

How many of us whould be arrested if this were Egypt?
10,000 people out going crazy would lead to a few thousand arrested in one day.
But since they cant arrest that many over there, not enough man power, they can get away with murder in the streets before the cops or military show up.

Back
Top Bottom