• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

One day before New Year's Eve, Utah will implement the strictest DUI law in the country

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/29/us/utah-dui-law-trnd/index.html

(CNN)People in Utah may think twice about having that extra drink before driving home from their New Year's Eve parties.

Starting Sunday, the state will lower its blood alcohol content limit to 0.05, the strictest DUI standard in the nation.
==================================================
Kill someone while at 0.05 or higher & you are up for homicide.

Utah, despite its Mormon population with its strict prohibition on caffeine, tobacco & alcohol, averages nearly 30 DUI arrests each day.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/29/us/utah-dui-law-trnd/index.html

(CNN)People in Utah may think twice about having that extra drink before driving home from their New Year's Eve parties.

Starting Sunday, the state will lower its blood alcohol content limit to 0.05, the strictest DUI standard in the nation.
==================================================
Kill someone while at 0.05 or higher & you are up for homicide.

Utah, despite its Mormon population with its strict prohibition on caffeine, tobacco & alcohol, averages nearly 30 DUI arrests each day.

Good.

A few beers in an hour can put you over that limit. Not worth being locked up in the slammer for 5-10 years or so for killing some innocent pedestrian that you just didn't see crossing the street.

A few beers in an hour can put you over that limit. Not worth being locked up in the slammer for 5-10 years or so for killing some innocent pedestrian that you just didn't see crossing the street.

I have two thoughts on this, JacksinPA. First, I think it will have the desired deterrent effect. But, second, even if it had not deterrent effect, I think a person who kills someone as a result of their self-indulgence should be punished with the utmost severity. People need to know that their actions have consequences beyond their personal guilt and a few DUI classes, fines and/or finding Jesus, or Mohammad or Buddha. People who rob others of their lives must understand that they subject to having the best years of their lives excised from them.

So good on Utah. What is your particular issue (or issues) with this law, JacksinPA?

It will be interesting to see how this affects taverns. I think it is probably rare for most patrons to walk or ride their bicycle to a tavern.

But the fact is that we have seen enough intoxicated drivers hurt someone on the road.

No sympathy for people who drink and drive.

If you absolutely have that burning need for "just one more for the road", then stay home; watch the game on TV, have the NYE party at home, or at a friends and sleep on the couch....I imagine its much more comfortable than a prison mattress, and the morning after hangover will not be compounded by standing in front of a judge the next day.

uber/lyft drivers say 'thank you very much'

uber/lyft drivers say 'thank you very much'

That is the only way to go. Don't have to find parking. Especially in the winter time there is nothing like coming out a tavern or restaurant and having a warm car waiting for you.

Just isn't worth the risk of driving after drinking.

It will be interesting to see how this affects taverns. I think it is probably rare for most patrons to walk or ride their bicycle to a tavern.

But the fact is that we have seen enough intoxicated drivers hurt someone on the road.

Here in eastern PA you don't evebn need to have a smartphone to call Uber or Lyft for a ride home. Dial 215-333-3333 & a taxi will arrive to drive you home.

I have two thoughts on this, JacksinPA. First, I think it will have the desired deterrent effect. But, second, even if it had not deterrent effect, I think a person who kills someone as a result of their self-indulgence should be punished with the utmost severity. People need to know that their actions have consequences beyond their personal guilt and a few DUI classes, fines and/or finding Jesus, or Mohammad or Buddha. People who rob others of their lives must understand that they subject to having the best years of their lives excised from them.

So good on Utah. What is your particular issue (or issues) with this law, JacksinPA?

I have no issue with this law.

Back
Top Bottom