• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On the train

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Doing the Silverton train ride today. Anyone else do this? Id post pics but can't seem to do it from my phone on this site.

Doing the Silverton train ride today. Anyone else do this? Id post pics but can't seem to do it from my phone on this site.

Too bad you can't post pics. I'd love to see them. That must be one cool experience.
One of these days...

Too bad you can't post pics. I'd love to see them. That must be one cool experience.
One of these days...

Old steam loco.otive. I've done the Toltec train. That is a beautiful ride as well. I've heard this one may be better.

Yes, you can!

By downloading them first to a laptop.

Yes, you can!

By downloading them first to a laptop.

That I know. Its just when you are out and about on vacation with your phone you have to wait until you get home to your computer to do that.

Are you on the inside or the outside? :2razz: :2wave:

I did and believe the train travel is both romantic and nostalgic

I looked it up online, looks fantastic! Another one for the bucket list.

Cumbres & Toltec is a similar ride you can take out of Chama, NM. I think that train was nicer. While both are scenic rides the Durango train ride was a little bit more scenic though. At points on both rides the train is on some cliff ledges that feels kinda scary. We didn't do the whole Durango to Silverton ride. This was a wine train where you sampled wine and then stopped at a point and had a lunch by the river then came back. It was really neat.

The train ride follows up the side of the Animas river the whole way up. Incredible views. You'll know the name of the river by the fact that it was the one that got all that poisonous Mine water spilled into it when the EPA was trying to clean up a mining waste site. It cleaned up nicely though. I was asking about the effects and they said it wasn't too bad. Don't know how though. Mining refuse water is horrifically polluted.

Here's a side-by-side shot of it clean and polluted:

Animas-River-split-screen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom