• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On the other hand...

Loulit01

What We've Got Here is a Failure to Communicate
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Many countries where abortion is legal restrict free access to abortion to the first 12 weeks. Could we live with that?

Many countries where abortion is legal restrict free access to abortion to the first 12 weeks. Could we live with that?
Depends upon the state, I guess.

On the same reason that we should restrict access to a gun for 12 weeks just so a complete check on the person can be done.

But then the pro gun crowd would say that they are adults and do not need government supervision.

Lucky for your suggestion a woman telling us she is capable of making her own decisions is one no american government seems to believe.

On the same reason that we should restrict access to a gun for 12 weeks just so a complete check on the person can be done.

But then the pro gun crowd would say that they are adults and do not need government supervision.

Lucky for your suggestion a woman telling us she is capable of making her own decisions is one no american government seems to believe.
I don't have a suggestion on abortion other than to let women decide. I posed a question.

I don't have a suggestion on abortion other than to let women decide. I posed a question.

OK. The answer is no.

My question then to you is...why specify a time frame, what is the significance?

OK. The answer is no.

My question then to you is...why specify a time frame, what is the significance?
There's always been a time frame imposed. In Roe v. Wade it's 23 weeks. In many places it's 12.

Why specify a time frame? Because no one wants babies aborted at 8 and 1/2 months.

There's always been a time frame imposed. In Roe v. Wade it's 23 weeks. In many places it's 12.

No, not at the federal level. RvW gives the states the option to decide if they have a compelling interest after viability. Several states do not.

Why specify a time frame? Because no one wants babies aborted at 8 and 1/2 months.

That's your opinion, but what is it based on? I asked for the significance the timeframe made. I hope it's at least based on facts. Please explain.

No, not at the federal level. RvW gives the states the option to decide if they have a compelling interest after viability. Several states do not.

That's your opinion, but what is it based on? I asked for the significance the timeframe made. I hope it's at least based on facts. Please explain.
I have no idea what you're talking about. The time frame of 12 weeks is found in several countries and I was wondering how people here felt about it. I took no position and imposed nothing. Relax.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The time frame of 12 weeks is found in several countries and I was wondering how people here felt about it. I took no position and imposed nothing. Relax.

I have not considered other countries, only the US.

Are you going to answer my questions or not? I answered yours. What is the significance of timeframe to people...let's stick to the US. You can at least offer your own?

I have not considered other countries, only the US.

Are you going to answer my questions or not? I answered yours. What is the significance of timeframe to people...let's stick to the US. You can at least offer your own?
I don't know what the significance of a time frame is to people. That's what I'm asking in this thread. As to my own position on time frame, I thought abortion before viability outside the womb was a good time frame, but now I'm starting to wonder if something shorter might not be better. I have no firm position on time frame because I have no interest in telling women when they can and can't have an abortion. As I stated earlier in this thread, I believe that is something for women to decide.

Jeez, I was just curious about the 12 week thing.

"Free access," I wrote. FREE ACCESS is what I'm talking about.
I think it's a lot more than my opinion. Do you want free access to abortion at 8 1/2 months? Once again, my OP made it clear I was talking about FREE ACCESS. I am so done with you. You're just trying to pick a fight where there's no fight to be had.

"Free access," I wrote. FREE ACCESS is what I'm talking about.

And that's what I was referring to. Unless you mean 'free' in the $$ sense.

It is UNRESTRICTED in several states.

I think it's a lot more than my opinion. Do you want free access to abortion at 8 1/2 months? Once again, my OP made it clear I was talking about FREE ACCESS. I am so done with you. You're just trying to pick a fight where there's no fight to be had.

I wasnt discussing anyone's opinions on it, I was correcting your statement...which then makes 'my opinion' and others more reasonable.

No such electiive abortions of healthy viable fetuses take place, period. Not in any of the states, including those with no restrictions. Including all of Canada which also has no restrictions.

So I dont believe in useless, feel-good legislation. There is no need for restrictions. No doctor is forced to do such an abortion either and most if not all, would object. It's a highly specialized procedure at that point, more painful and dangerous to the woman, and there are only 3-4 facilities in the US that will do them and the very few of those that occur are done for medical reasons.

Do you still believe that there need to be restrictions after viability? If so, why? Esp. knowing that a woman can get ~$20,000 for a healthy infant in a private adoption.

Back
Top Bottom