• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

On the ground in Iraq

oldreliable67

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Today's WSJ has an excellent article recounting the efforts of a U.S. Army Lt Col in Tal Afar. Tal Afar, as you may recall from the news, has been the scene of some pretty intense fighting. The following excerpt from the article gives you the flavor, but to fully appreciate it, go read the whole thing...

"At an old British fort at the edge of town here, about a dozen sheiks gathered at 6 p.m. last Friday for a traditional Ramadan feast.

Some were Sunni. Some were Shiite. The results were predictable for a region in which months of violence and tit-for-tat assassinations and car bombs have created deep sectarian divides. A Sunni complained that masked Shiite informants were spreading lies about innocent Sunnis to Americans. "We have to get rid of these people who wear masks!" he yelled. The lead Shiite present stormed off to a corner to sit by himself.

But the session had a surprising ending. The shouting gave way to discussion, and the sheiks laid plans to form a local reconciliation committee composed of six Sunni and six Shiite representatives.

It was a small victory for the American military leader, Lt. Col. Chris Hickey, who arranged for the feast with just such a goal."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB112925326708268413.html?mod=home_page_one_us

Just my opinion: this is the essence of our purpose in Iraq. By facilitating reconciliation and communication, we pave the way for a representative form of government and forestall creation of the fundamentalist Muslim caliphate in Iraq and across the breadth of the Middle East.

Ok, people, for those of you that are so inclined, flame away...

Ya reckon he was speaking honestly or scripted?

Iriemon,

Ha! Good one! But if you read the article, I think you'll find it very informative in a very real way.

BTW, just finished responding to your comments to my post on the 'Economics' thread. When you can, take a look. Will appreciate your impressions. :comp:

It's a lie, or staged or wrong or untrue. There is no way it can work, it's al false..........etc etc.... Sorry... Just figured I would shoot holes in it beofre the libs got hold of it.

Honestly though, that would seem to be exactly what we are there for.

Iriemon said:
Ya reckon he was speaking honestly or scripted?

scripted of course nothing gets out otherwise we all know that
the president cant even talk to the troops without it being scripted

scripted of course nothing gets out otherwise we all know that
Did you even bother to read it? Sure doesn't sound like it. If you had, you'd realize that this was an MSM reporter, not some lame duck from that stupid lunatic fringe 'rense.com' that you worship.

oldreliable67 said:
Iriemon,

Ha! Good one! But if you read the article, I think you'll find it very informative in a very real way.

BTW, just finished responding to your comments to my post on the 'Economics' thread. When you can, take a look. Will appreciate your impressions. :comp:

Couldn't access the WSJ article

Back
Top Bottom