• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On-Line K-12 Public Schools

Well, I did answer your question Paul, "Do you think public schooling is fulfilling its mission of educating our children in an effective manner?" but I'll expand on what I mean by the funding thing. We have some of the best public schools here (or at least in my neck of the woods) that even compete on an international level. The problem though, is our best schools are in wealthy areas where funding is plentiful and resources are bountiful. Not so in poorer areas of my state. Not even close to the same level, and our academic results show this gap. Another factor, of course, is parent involvement in wealthy school districts. You don't get the same amount at all in poorer schools. Many of the kids are not even having their basic needs met as in rest, nutrition, safety etc....

IMV, schools should allow children to progress, or not progress, according to their ability and merit. Do you not think we have passed many who were not properly educated to advance without the required educational ability to function in our society?

IMV, schools should allow children to progress, or not progress, according to their ability and merit. Do you not think we have passed many who were not properly educated to advance without the required educational ability to function in our society?

Do you mean like tracking students based on their academic ability from elementary school onward? Some countries have students take a test that determines whether they’ll be placed in a special school for the gifted, a vocational school or a special education program, and another test later determines their higher-ed options. We don't do that in the US we put all students in the same track unless we can prove that they cannot be educated (mainstreamed) with regular education children (rare). Things have changed as far as graduation requirements and some kids won't be able to receive a regular diploma but can still graduate with their peers.

Do you mean like tracking students based on their academic ability from elementary school onward? Some countries have students take a test that determines whether they’ll be placed in a special school for the gifted, a vocational school or a special education program, and another test later determines their higher-ed options. We don't do that in the US we put all students in the same track unless we can prove that they cannot be educated (mainstreamed) with regular education children (rare). Things have changed as far as graduation requirements and some kids won't be able to receive a regular diploma but can still graduate with their peers.

No, I mean instituting an environment where students are allowed to move forward or be held back based on their ability, not what the government pays school districts for moving students along..

No, I mean instituting an environment where students are allowed to move forward or be held back based on their ability, not what the government pays school districts for moving students along..

I'm lost Paul. I can't respond until you can explain what this means " not what the government pays school districts for moving students along".

It's good and bad. I would not opt for it.

Good for those who struggle with physical maladies and who, otherwise, would miss more school.
Good for parents who want to homeschool but cannot fully do so for whatever reason.

Bad in that it might separate children from social interaction and physical components of education - it reduces education to computer time, separating things like coping in a new environment, learning how to be independent without parents 24/7, and learning other social and hands-on components.

Further, bad in that parents who suffer from various issues such as alcoholism or paranoid tendencies could more easily separate, negate, and sequester their children with ill intent. School is often the only way some abused and maltreated children are helped.

Out of sight - out of mind . . . which isn't not a "everyone does it" in my view - but some people do . . . and that's a concern for me

We get that you hate it to death, but exaggerating and making stuff up will not validate that. Frankly no one here knows what will happen and how it will work. Alcoholism and paranoid tendencies???? Come on, that won't be effected in the least by this program. We don't pay schools to police the children, we pay them to teach. If you're a teacher and don't want the Internet muscling in on your job, you should just speak up about that really. Home schoolers can get their work done in half the time, because there's no administrative mumbo-jumbo, which means they can go do some socializing.

Greetings, rabbitcaebannog. :2wave:

Under what circumstances would a child not be able to receive a regular diploma, but can still graduate with their peers? I find that an unusual statement. :shock:

Greetings, rabbitcaebannog. :2wave:

Under what circumstances would a child not be able to receive a regular diploma, but can still graduate with their peers? I find that an unusual statement. :shock:

It is called a Certificate of Completion. It means the student attended enuff and worked to the level of their ability - but not to the the academic standard needed to achieve a regular diploma.

Regards from Rosie

It is called a Certificate of Completion. It means the student attended enuff and worked to the level of their ability - but not to the the academic standard needed to achieve a regular diploma.

Regards from Rosie

Greetings, RosieS. :2wave:

:thanks: for the explanation. It seems that those children might have had to work harder than anyone else just to get a Certificate of Completion, bless their hearts! :thumbs:

We get that you hate it to death, but exaggerating and making stuff up will not validate that. Frankly no one here knows what will happen and how it will work. Alcoholism and paranoid tendencies???? Come on, that won't be effected in the least by this program. We don't pay schools to police the children, we pay them to teach. If you're a teacher and don't want the Internet muscling in on your job, you should just speak up about that really. Home schoolers can get their work done in half the time, because there's no administrative mumbo-jumbo, which means they can go do some socializing.

You'd be surprised at how many children are abused and neglected by their parents and the only way they're helped out of the situation - at all - is with school intervention. A small group of parents, yes. But unrealistic concern for those few children? No.

:thanks: for the explanation. It seems that those children might have had to work harder than anyone else just to get a Certificate of Completion, bless their hearts! :thumbs:

Indeed...but it seems they are even more pleased with a cap and gown and graduation ceremony than "average" kids - it is a recognition justly earned!

Regards from Rosie

Are these children of average intelligence? If not, great. If so, ???

Are these children of average intelligence? If not, great. If so, ???

At my son's graduation, everyone who received a Certificate of Completion were in special ed classes. The audience was asked not to cheer or yell out names, but every time any kid who had any "issues", physical or mental, crossed the stage, there was a huge ovation.

Students who were not special ed students and who didn't get full high school diplomas, got nothing and were not allowed to "walk". I think that is pretty much how it should be.

Back
Top Bottom