• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On Germany: Trump was right again

Schism

Destroyer of Propaganda
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Liberal NowThis News ripped for 2018 video mocking Trump’s prediction about Germany
A popular left-wing social media account is being criticized on Tuesday for one of its old videos ridiculing former President Trump.

The video posted by account NowThis News in July of 2018 shows German officials scoffing at the U.S. president after he predicted Germany would become dependent on Russian oil, after making their Nord Stream 2 deal with Russia. "Germany is totally controlled by" and "captive" to Russia, he said during the NATO Summit.

NowThis' video caption read, "Trump made some outrageous claims about German energy at the UN — and the German delegation’s reaction was priceless."

Ouch. That left a mark.

It is not at all unusual for Trump to be right on Germany's mistaken position on doing business with Russia.

Why is it difficult for educated people to remember why NATO was created in the first place?

What was the initial reason why NATO was formed?
  • Why was NATO founded? The North Atlantic Alliance was founded in the aftermath of the Second World War. Its purpose was to secure peace in Europe, to promote cooperation among its members and to guard their freedom – all of this in the context of countering the threat posed at the time by the Soviet Union.

Yu lost me at " after he predicted Germany would become dependent on Russian oil, after making their Nord Stream 2 deal with Russia. "

Nordstream 2 doesn't provide any oil, it provides gas.....

I'm moving on to next thread....
Trump's point about energy dependence being a risk was correct, and there's no escaping that even if you decide to escape the thread.

Trump's point about energy dependence being a risk was correct, and there's no escaping that even if you decide to escape the thread.
Trump's point? Anyone here not know Germany getting a huge portion of its gas and oil from Russia was a bad idea? Anyone? Bueller?

And Germany was not alone.

Russian crude oil and petroleum product exports to the U.S. represent 8 percent of all its imported oil and less than 2 percent of the U.S. supply, an NBC News analysis of U.S. and European oil data found. This is a far cry from European nations: About half import most of their oil, and of that imported oil, an average of 20 percent comes from Russia.

Such an obvious one that even tRump figured it out, and we all know how stupid he is.

And yet the Germans didn't.
The Germans knew it. But politicians opted for cheap Russian energy because cheap energy gets politicians reelected. Why would their politicians be diffrent from our politicians?

Yes they did. Hell, I knew it way before TFG..
Well, people with normal brains didn't need anyone to brief us in large print single spaced pages liberally sprinkled with fluff pieces about how great we are.

Well, people with normal brains didn't need anyone to brief us in large print single spaced pages liberally sprinkled with fluff pieces about how great we are.
Hang on. I'm getting a vision...

Oh my God. I just saw a future politician telling us that the world having nukes is bad.

Yu lost me at " after he predicted Germany would become dependent on Russian oil, after making their Nord Stream 2 deal with Russia. "

Energy, energy, not oil Lets discuss what was actually said. Ok, Trump is a &^%$&, but even one of those can be right now and then, no? So, why move on instead of just admitting just that?

Did you just smarmily stake your entire rebuttal on semantics and think you word something of value? Wow.

That pipeline works two ways. Gas flows one way, money flows the other way. Which end is more dependant on the flow continuing?

Those who rely on the facts in a statement will eventually find you and correct you.
Resistance is futile.

Yeah, they knew. They just didn't have a better alternative and they didn't think it would matter this soon.
Isn't the better alternative buying gas and oil from a reliable partner like the U.S.?
Isn't that the case now? Pay me now or pay me later?

Such an obvious one that even tRump figured it out, and we all know how stupid he is.
Stupid enough to become a billionaire and then president of the greatest country on earth. Any fool can do it, right?

Thanks for posting that. I think most people forget that Trump beat Clinton. Had his personality been just a little more civil he could still be in office today;

"A number of Republicans with whom I've spoken believe that Trump's bombastic, bullying, unpresidential antics probably cost him as much as 10 percent of the vote. Let's give Trump the benefit of the doubt and say it was only 1 percent. That still equals about 1.5 million votes. And, again, he lost Georgia, Wisconsin and Arizona by a total of just more than 42,000 votes."

It is ironic that one of the things that draws people to Trump, his bombastic personality, is perhaps the downfall of his attempted second term.

It is ironic that one of the things that draws people to Trump, his bombastic personality, is perhaps the downfall of his attempted second term.

One of the greatest ironies of this decade.
Good post.
You should read the Bill Barr book recapping why Trump lost.
Educational and entertaining.

Stupid enough to become a billionaire and then president of the greatest country on earth. Any fool can do it, right?
With a little (lol) help from his dad and a few russian troll farms.

Back
Top Bottom