• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Omnibus spending bill gives nearly everything Dems wanted but no wall

Pretty funny.
Some die-hard Trumpsters are insisting that the Donald signed off on this because he's got a big military move coming up.
I hope they're wrong, but with Trump......who knows?
I don't understand the connection. Even if DT was planning a military action, that would be with the military one already has, not depending upon future spending in the appropriations bill.

cabse5 said:
Trump is a traditional Democrat not a progressive and the progressive Democratic Party views Trump as a traitor to the party. That's why they hate him so much.
Trump is not a traditional anything, except a traditional opportunist. He'll tell people whatever they want to hear to get what he wants. He gave money to Democrats as legal bribes to move his real estate projects along.

Does anyone even think Trump knows anything about policy? He doesn't even know that the F-35 fighter is invisible to radar -- not the eyes of pilots.
"Amazing job, and amazing job. So amazing that we're ordering hundreds of millions of dollars of new airplanes for the Air Force, especially the F-35. Do you like the F-35? I said how does it do it in fights, and how do they do in fights with the F-35. He says we do very well, you can't see it. Literally you can't see. It's hard to fight a plane you can't see right? But that's an expensive plane you can't see. And as you probably heard we cut the price very substantially, something other administrations would never have done, that I can tell you."

Trump is not a traditional anything, except a traditional opportunist. He'll tell people whatever they want to hear to get what he wants. He gave money to Democrats as legal bribes to move his real estate projects along.

Does anyone even think Trump knows anything about policy? He doesn't even know that the F-35 fighter is invisible to radar -- not the eyes of pilots.
You must be a progressive.

That was Trump's excuse and he spoke about the "huge cuts under Obama." Clearly, he reads and makes it up on the spot.

Where were these huge defense cuts?

usgs_line.php

PolitiFact Sheet: Military spending under Obama and Congress

Overall spending on national security includes the Pentagon budget as well as spending by other agencies, such as the Energy Department’s work on nuclear weapons. Spending increased in 2010 and 2011, but it has fallen every year for four years since then by a cumulative 15 percent.

Other ways of looking at the question show declines as well. National security spending made up 20.1 percent of the federal budget in 2010, but in 2015 it was 15.9 percent. Over the same period, spending fell from 4.6 percent of gross domestic product to 3.3 percent.

Just an fyi. I will note that this only goes to 2015 though and that, as PolitiFact points out, the blame should be shared across both parties.

PolitiFact Sheet: Military spending under Obama and Congress

Overall spending on national security includes the Pentagon budget as well as spending by other agencies, such as the Energy Department’s work on nuclear weapons. Spending increased in 2010 and 2011, but it has fallen every year for four years since then by a cumulative 15 percent.

Other ways of looking at the question show declines as well. National security spending made up 20.1 percent of the federal budget in 2010, but in 2015 it was 15.9 percent. Over the same period, spending fell from 4.6 percent of gross domestic product to 3.3 percent.

Just an fyi. I will note that this only goes to 2015 though and that, as PolitiFact points out, the blame should be shared across both parties.
Thanks for that link.

What you didn't include in that snippet:

There are two main reasons for the spending drop. The first is the Obama administration’s decision to start removing U.S. troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. The second has to do with a process known as sequestration.
The most recent Obama budget proposed a 7.8 percent increase in the base Defense Department budget between 2015 and 2016. The spending bill enacted this fall puts the defense budget on a path to start growing in fiscal year 2016, up about 6 percent from the previous year.

"It’s still not quite as much as the president requested, but it’s much closer," said Todd Harrison, director of defense budget analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
The link also does an excellent job of undercutting the 'Great Leader's" speech yesterday bemoaning the small size of the Navy.

You get everything you want and youre still complaining. Thats what TDS does to you. Plus, this deal was hammered out in congress, not Trump Tower,
Didn't get everything "I" want. I think it is idiotic to increase military spending this much while cutting the State Department, which prevents wars from happening. But as Mad Dog Mattis said, "If you don't fund the State Department fully, then I need to buy more ammunition ultimately," Mattis said, before members of Congress at a National Security Advisory Council meeting.

But the Idiot-In-Chief will do whatever comes to his groin mind, regardless of whether it is a thought-out plan.

Has there ever been any doubt?
Well he is practically a home town boy, and when he was begged to take the job the story was that he was the only one with the skills to do it.....so ya.

Neither Ryan or Trump know how to lead.
But Ryan keeps on getting picked, he gets mistaken for a leader....begged to lead the House, VP, go to policy wonk..but when it is time to work he tends to come up extremely light.

Didn't get everything "I" want. I think it is idiotic to increase military spending this much while cutting the State Department, which prevents wars from happening. But as Mad Dog Mattis said, "If you don't fund the State Department fully, then I need to buy more ammunition ultimately," Mattis said, before members of Congress at a National Security Advisory Council meeting.

But the Idiot-In-Chief will do whatever comes to his groin mind, regardless of whether it is a thought-out plan.

Again, this was hammered out in congress, not the White House. But if it helps you to blame Trump for everything, have at it.

Thanks for that link.

What you didn't include in that snippet:

The link also does an excellent job of undercutting the 'Great Leader's" speech yesterday bemoaning the small size of the Navy.

Can't include everything. Only limited to copying 2 paragraphs or I'd violate the rules. ;)

Or, DT could have been part of the process. You know, like other presidents? Instead, he acts like a bystander waiting for it to get to his desk.

Too much work for Donald "The John" Trump.
He might have to actually read something.
It's much easier to keep your distance, give no input, and then complain about other peoples failings.
See Hawkeye's posts as an example.

I don't understand the connection. Even if DT was planning a military action, that would be with the military one already has, not depending upon future spending in the appropriations bill.

Clearly, you do not spend much time in "Trumplandia".
This is a good thing.
All the spinning of DJT's actions would make you dizzy.
"Trumplandia" is kinda like the bizarro world of politics.

As bad as Trump is for the country, him being elected truly is the best thing to have ever have happened for the Democrats.

Doesn't seem like Trump is keeping any of his campaign promises does it?

Back
Top Bottom