• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Omicron drives US deaths higher than in fall’s delta wave

Hamish Howl

Horrible Bastard
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Omicron, the highly contagious coronavirus variant sweeping across the country, is driving the daily American death toll higher than during last fall’s delta wave, with deaths likely to keep rising for days or even weeks.
The seven-day rolling average for daily new COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. has been climbing since mid-November, reaching 2,267 on Thursday and surpassing a September peak of 2,100 when delta was the dominant variant.
Now omicron is estimated to account for nearly all the virus circulating in the nation. And even though it causes less severe disease for most people, the fact that it is more transmissible means more people are falling ill and dying.
“Omicron will push us over a million deaths,” said Andrew Noymer, a public health professor at the University of California, Irvine. “That will cause a lot of soul searching. There will be a lot of discussion about what we could have done differently, how many of the deaths were preventable.”

This is one of those things you could see coming if you're capable of doing 5th grade math.

"If the new strain is half as deadly and there are 7 times as many cases, will more people die?"

Tell us about the sniffles, antivaxxers.

Last edited:
I was told yesterday in a thread about Covid that the message above is a lie perpetrated by the mainstream media. Meanwhile it tracks locally too.

<> This is one of those things you could see coming if you're capable of doing 5th grade math. <>

It's insane that we don't have a basic statistics curriculum in public eductation. Out of all the things about which a student could possibly say "why? When am I ever going to use this in the real world?!"....

Media reports on some study and (ignoring the other distortions/exaggeration), it's "doing this increases your risk of Z,Y,Z by 15%! OMG!" But they don't measure whether baseline incidence is 0.1% or 0.0001%. You get the percentage. Useless. An insult. Few seem to see the problem.

It's insane that we don't have a basic statistics curriculum in public eductation. Out of all the things about which a student could possibly say "why? When am I ever going to use this in the real world?!"....

The attitude that says you won't need math in the real world guarantees that you won't need math in the real world.

Media reports on some study and (ignoring the other distortions/exaggeration), it's "doing this increases your risk of Z,Y,Z by 15%! OMG!" But they don't measure whether baseline incidence is 0.1% or 0.0001%. You get the percentage. Useless. An insult. Few seem to see the problem.

Wait. Not enough. I need to go further with that mini-rant.

That's not merely a failure to understand statistics. I never took a statistics course. The problem with presentation of naked percentages was obvious. It didn't take any consideration. It's obvious.

This is a complete failure to understand relevance.

Relevance is maybe the or one of the most important concepts that exists. If you know what a percentage is, all you need in addition is a concept of relevance to understand what I got at here.

And people are all "awwwww, this is horrible, all those poor minorities are going to get into more schools if they don't look at the ACT/SAT". Because lack of tests designed to measure rote memorization and perhaps some basic mathematical functions. FFS.... ACT/SAT.... we don't teach our children RELEVANCE.

1643416465673.png
1643416502795.png

True, a large spike 3X higher than the previous high during lock downs will increase death, but it hasn't reached and likely won't reach the lock down highs.

This is one of those things you could see coming if you're capable of doing 5th grade math.

"If the new strain is half as deadly and there are 7 times as many cases, will more people die?"

And as we speak, businesses and governments are dropping vaccine requirements. We won't have to go too far in the future to look back and see where we went wrong.

And as we speak, businesses and governments are dropping vaccine requirements. We won't have to go too far in the future to look back and see where we went wrong.

This is why this new federal contracting gig of mine is working out so nicely. Everyone has to follow the full set of rules, no matter what. If for some reason you can't or won't, you simply aren't allowed into the facilities.

This is why this new federal contracting gig of mine is working out so nicely. Everyone has to follow the full set of rules, no matter what. If for some reason you can't or won't, you simply aren't allowed into the facilities.
It has worked every place it was used, and yet we're shying away from it. Losing employees, looming primaries...who knows. I'm disappointed everytime I hear of another place caving. And the SC? Trump did his work well. **** all of them.

I encourage all of you to shelter in place, stop showering, urinate in empty milk cartons, and stack them up in front of all your doors and windows.

Paranoia still sells with some... Even Biden is starting to realize it's not a winning strategy.

The problem isn’t a lack of statistics education. The same people who can calculate a 20% tip can’t calculate percentages when it comes to covid. So even if you uploaded basic math, statistics, algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus directly into their brains, they still wouldn’t get it.

I encourage all of you to shelter in place, stop showering, urinate in empty milk cartons, and stack them up in front of all your doors and windows.
Somehow, you wrote this post thinking it was clever and edgy. Amazing how completely that failed.

The problem isn’t a lack of statistics ecuation. The same people who can calculate a 20% tip can’t calculate percentages when it comes to covid. So even if you directly uploaded basic math, statistics, algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus into their brains, they still wouldn’t get it.

Still want to see statistics in public school...

Still want to see statistics in public school...
It certainly couldn’t hurt, but I didn’t take statistics and even I can grasp the significance of percentages and rates on a basic level. Point is, if you’re emotionally hostile to a fact then all the education in the world isn’t going to make you more amenable to it.

I had the wuflu

the first day sucked most. i was knocked out. My head was hurting, i was dry heaving, running a fever, and couldn't get to sleep. i struggled with it for hours until the morning when i called a friend to bring over some advil. Thankfully, that took the worst pain away and i was able to sleep for a good 15 hours, before waking up to a sore throat.

I thought it was strep throat. it felt exactly like strep throat, and while the headaches were over, i was still fatigued. Turns out it was omicron.

after the first day, it just lingered for 2 weeks, keeping me tired with occasional lite headaches. The sore throat went away after the first week. Also, I would cough and wheeze, but the most violent coughs would be under 2 circumstances: at night, or while wearing a mask. as long as i didn't wear a mask, i didn't cough nearly as much, and i was very sensitive to the fresh air.

It's basically a month long strep throat, with no antibiotics to make it go away.

friends told me they had muscle aches, but i never had that.

in any case, it terms of illness, it was 5/10. Again, the worst, most annoying part is just how long it stays around. you're basically going to be sleeping 15 hours or more every day, and still tired when you're awake.

Except that I secretly predicted that you would reply.

I win.

Did you know that a single Doritos chip contains more extreme nacho flavor than was experienced by every single person in the 30 years war added together?

It's true.

Did you know that a single Doritos chip contains more extreme nacho flavor than was experienced by every single person in the 30 years war added together?

It's true.

My favorite Dorito is Taco flavor. Oh man, ever since I was a kid.

There also used to be a product called Pizza Spins, and they tasted just like pepperoni.

My favorite Dorito is Taco flavor. Oh man, ever since I was a kid.

There also used to be a product called Pizza Spins, and they tasted just like pepperoni.

YES!

I had the wuflu

the first day sucked most. i was knocked out. My head was hurting, i was dry heaving, running a fever, and couldn't get to sleep. i struggled with it for hours until the morning when i called a friend to bring over some advil. Thankfully, that took the worst pain away and i was able to sleep for a good 15 hours, before waking up to a sore throat.

I thought it was strep throat. it felt exactly like strep throat, and while the headaches were over, i was still fatigued. Turns out it was omicron.

after the first day, it just lingered for 2 weeks, keeping me tired with occasional lite headaches. The sore throat went away after the first week. Also, I would cough and wheeze, but the most violent coughs would be under 2 circumstances: at night, or while wearing a mask. as long as i didn't wear a mask, i didn't cough nearly as much, and i was very sensitive to the fresh air.

I'm sure that's a comfort to all the hundreds of thousands that lost loved ones to Omicron.

It's basically a month long strep throat, with no antibiotics to make it go away.

friends told me they had muscle aches, but i never had that.

in any case, it terms of illness, it was 5/10. Again, the worst, most annoying part is just how long it stays around. you're basically going to be sleeping 15 hours or more every day, and still tired when you're awake.

You won a lottery. That's "basically" just dismissing all the dead people that didnt.

I'm sure that's a comfort to all the hundreds of thousands that lost loved ones to Omicron.
You know everything, right? What's the death rate of omicron?
You won a lottery. That's "basically" just dismissing all the dead people that didnt.
All 0.3% of them, yes. I do dismiss them.

Back
Top Bottom