• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Olympus has fallen . . .

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD

Just saw this movie at a friend's house. GREAT!!!

If you saw it, what did you find stretched your imagination and why?

Last edited:
I found it unbelievable that three people would have the codes to disarm our nuclear arsenal in their heads. That's the first part I found incredulous. The second was that, if those three people did have the codes, when they were compromised, that the codes wouldn't be instantly changed.

There's an interesting discussion to be had about when "the President" isn't "the President" anymore. When he had been taken hostage, I say he ceased to be POTUS and the succession per the Constitution would hold sway. You?

I can't figure out the spoiler wrap thing here, so I will just say the beginning part at Camp David seemed a little contrived and disjointed from that point to the jump to the main events. It was an awkward transition I guess. I am a little nit-picky about some things. The trash truck thing sort of turned me off because they would have never gotten that close because of the security changes in front of the WH both before and after 9/11.

It was a good action flick--maybe a little too much in the action-flick formula for me to declare it great since nothing in the plot was that unique. Gerard Butler did a pretty good job in the role and the effects were pretty good, especially the shoot out on the front steps of the WH.

I found it unbelievable that three people would have the codes to disarm our nuclear arsenal in their heads. That's the first part I found incredulous. The second was that, if those three people did have the codes, when they were compromised, that the codes wouldn't be instantly changed.

Yes, among other things. It is definitely a film where if you think about it too much, the whole thing starts become too sophomoric.

There's an interesting discussion to be had about when "the President" isn't "the President" anymore. When he had been taken hostage, I say he ceased to be POTUS and the succession per the Constitution would hold sway. You?

The Speaker of the House did assume the role of Acting President in the movie.

Yes, among other things. It is definitely a film where if you think about it too much, the whole thing starts become too sophomoric.

The Speaker of the House did assume the role of Acting President in the movie.

I agree with you. Even the fact that the airplane made it to the White House was incredulous. I would think it would have been intercepted and shot down immediately. To think we only have two fighter jets protecting D.C. just doesn't wash. Yes, I know he assumed the role of acting president. I guess I'm trying to draw too fine a line. Like he would be president (no acting president about it) because of that particular situation.

It was very thought-provoking. One could see how it could happen. That's what makes those kinds of movies so much fun. I compare it to Air Force One -- another great. I want to see it again, as I'm sure it's one of those that just keeps on giving. Ha!

Maggie, hope you will forgive a slight derail as I rave about a movie I saw last night! 42, the story of Jackie Robinson, baseball's first black ballplayer! Absolutely magnificent, and incredibly educational for anyone, particularly if you love the game of baseball. I highly recommend it! :thumbs:

I now return to the topic at hand, Olympus Has Fallen. I, er, haven't seen it. :)

/derail

Maggie, hope you will forgive a slight derail as I rave about a movie I saw last night! 42, the story of Jackie Robinson, baseball's first black ballplayer! Absolutely magnificent, and incredibly educational for anyone, particularly if you love the game of baseball. I highly recommend it! :thumbs:

I now return to the topic at hand, Olympus Has Fallen. I, er, haven't seen it. :)

/derail

:rofl -- I haven't seen 42 -- but I think that's a movie Tom'd like to see; and sounds like I'd enjoy it as well. I remember seeing the previews and it looked great.

I agree with you. Even the fact that the airplane made it to the White House was incredulous. I would think it would have been intercepted and shot down immediately. To think we only have two fighter jets protecting D.C. just doesn't wash. Yes, I know he assumed the role of acting president. I guess I'm trying to draw too fine a line. Like he would be president (no acting president about it) because of that particular situation.

It was very thought-provoking. One could see how it could happen. That's what makes those kinds of movies so much fun. I compare it to Air Force One -- another great. I want to see it again, as I'm sure it's one of those that just keeps on giving. Ha!

I think "Acting" President is just to avoid confusion like when Chaney was acting President when Bush had a camera up his butt. All powers of the Presidency (except apparently the power to stop the destruction of our nuclear warheads LOL) would have rested with the Speaker and him only.

The one moment that did sort of have me on the edge was when the woman was being forced to walk out the front door of the WH. I was like "no way they are going to do this--it will ruin the whole movie.....by golly they ARE going to do this....how are they not going to do this?" and then they did what they did which I thought was a pretty suspenseful scene (don't want to give it away since it was probably the most suspenseful part of the whole movie for me at least)

Reagan International is just mere moments away from the Mall in DC - so I don't think it's impossible for it to happen. In that short fraction of time, they wouldn't be able to respond...

But you are more brave than I, I can't stomach the idea of watching it - the idea creeps me out.

Reagan International is just mere moments away from the Mall in DC - so I don't think it's impossible for it to happen. In that short fraction of time, they wouldn't be able to respond...

But you are more brave than I, I can't stomach the idea of watching it - the idea creeps me out.

It was a stolen military gunship (another "yeah like that would happen" moment) that did not come in from Reagan or an area airport.

It's a movie, they are allowed to bend physics and logic.

Olympus+Has+Fallen+meme+koreans.jpg

My only real complaint with the movie was that it made the Secret Service appear to be hilariously incompetent. This was especially apparent in the scene where the bad guys stormed the WH front steps.

I'm sorry, but there is no way in Hell that one of the best trained defense forces on the planet would be stupid enough to continue funneling men, armed with nothing but 9mm pistols, no less, into the kill zone of a 7.62 machine gun backed up by several dozen attackers armed with assault rifles.

It goes against virtually every aspect of small unit doctrine taught from basic training onwards. Any attempt to maneuver on an entrenched position without first attaining some degree of fire superiority is, for all intents and purposes, suicide.

Sorry guys, but it's not 1914 any more. You should really know better.

Last edited:
It was a stolen military gunship (another "yeah like that would happen" moment) that did not come in from Reagan or an area airport.

Hehe. IF it was a "lost" ship and a "mislogged" route I'd believe it because that happens all the time, to be honest. LOL

"Oh, did we lose some missile heads?"
"I think we did, Sir."
"oops"

(I'm sure that's how that conversation went a few years ago. LOL)

Hehe. IF it was a "lost" ship and a "mislogged" route I'd believe it because that happens all the time, to be honest. LOL

"Oh, did we lose some missile heads?"
"I think we did, Sir."
"oops"

(I'm sure that's how that conversation went a few years ago. LOL)

An AC-130 Specter gunship piloted by Korean terrorists?

As a hostage, he certainly couldn't run the country anymore. I agree.

My only real complaint with the movie was that it made the Secret Service appear to be hilariously incompetent. This was especially apparent in the scene where the bad guys stormed the WH front steps.

I'm sorry, but there is no way in Hell that one of the best trained defense forces on the planet would be stupid enough to continue funneling men, armed with nothing but 9mm pistols, no less, into the kill zone of a 7.62 machine gun backed up by several dozen attackers armed with assault rifles.

It goes against virtually every aspect of small unit doctrine taught from basic training onwards. Any attempt to maneuver on an entrenched position without first attaining some degree of fire superiority is, for all intents and purposes, suicide.

Sorry guys, but it's not 1914 any more. You should really know better.

Absolutely. I thought the same thing. Out come another 15 to bite the dust. All I could think of was WTF?? Why would you do that??

Well, I may sound like I'm bashing the movie, but I really thought it was excellent -- edge-of-your-seat entertainment, if you will. I guess we're willing to let a lot of the inconsistencies go when the big picture is successful.

As a hostage, he certainly couldn't run the country anymore. I agree.
His last order was to NOT negotiate. Thats where the movie would have ended in real life.
There would have been no pulling back from the NK/SK border or turning around the 7th Fleet.
The other thing is that there would have been at least 10 dogs unleashed and not just one.
And just where are you going to take off from with a stolen C130 that you modded with 4 Gatlilng gun Warthog nose guns and not get noticed?
But alot of it, probably would go down just like it showed.

If you saw it, what did you find stretched your imagination and why?

I'm coming into this discussion WAY late but here goes:

1. There was no retaliatory action. None. A heavily armed and expertly trained militia made up of North Korean radicals takes over the White House with the goal of, in part, reunifying the Korean Peninsula and destroying the continental US and...the acting President holds a press conference? Then after the acting President makes the usual 'merica chest pounding speech he sits in a room and does nothing of substance. I was disappointed that Morgan Freeman didn't have a more powerful presence and that the climax of his role was basically just telling a general to shut up.

2. They never explained how the terrorists got their hands on a USAF marked C-130, how they managed to get that thing there, or where they got the fancy classified weapons system. I have a feeling they planned to do something along the lines of the White House Down scenario but didn't because they came out very close to each-other. Instead, its a big black hole of non-information.

3. No one noticed the horde of shady people with black duffle bags milling around in front of the White House?

4. A kill code for all land-based US nukes? I think not.

Still, it was a fun movie to watch and interesting to think about. Is a similar scenario possible? What would you have done as acting President?

Last edited:
Stupid movie. If you are willing to empty your brain and watch then maybe it might be entertaining. The last movie I did that was Forrest Gump. This movie is totally absurd in todays world. Really a cargo plane flying at tree top level over the national mall? REALLY Flown by Koreans? REALLY?? WH Security and Secret Service agents flying out of the front door of the WH like lemmings? REALLY??? I guess if you like Chuck Norris and Sly movies then this would seem "realistic".

The only part that is feasible is the first 5 minutes.

I was shockingly disappointed with this movie. The teasers and trailers made it look interesting but it was far to little story and way too much continuous action. Shoot em up's and boom boom's are fine with at least a little realistic plot occurring.

I'm afraid to rent 'White House Down" now for this reason.

Yeah, but it was pretty good if you are in the mood for that formula - it ticked all the boxes. Liked it much better than White House Down which pretty much blew goats IMO.

isn't their a pretty much identical film that came out just after this one?

Back
Top Bottom