• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Olympics in Rio continue to move towards disaster

ludin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Body parts wash up on popular beach near Rio Olympic venue | Fox News

I don't see how they can have the games here. it is just not possible.
they need to cut their losses and pick a different venue that has the ability to
maintain the athletes safety and protection.

this just continues to be one disaster after another down there.
they need almost 1 trillion dollars in money to complete items.

this is just nonsense at this point.

they need to cut their losses and pick a different venue that has the ability to

All my favorite golfers dropped out. Not watching anymore.

The problem is that there isn't time. At least for 2016, it's Rio or bust.

South America, the liberal utopia.

The problem is that there isn't time. At least for 2016, it's Rio or bust.

Probably not. I think china keeps their summer venue's in shape. not sure about Atlanta.
Rio is going to be a nightmare. Half the venues are not safe.

Part of the bike track fell into the ocean when the cliff it was on fell.
I know a lot of people are not going due to health reasons.

This will end the Olympics as a traveling "Pick a country". They'll set 5-8 cities to rotate hosting duties, those that can handle it.,

This will end the Olympics as a traveling "Pick a country". They'll set 5-8 cities to rotate hosting duties, those that can handle it.,

That is probably how it should be.

You expect bureaucrats to make a smart choice?

Consider how much graft and corruption have surrounded hosting the Olympics. The bureaucrats on the front lines of the efforts stand to make millions. Hard to reel that carrot in.

The IOC should identify permanent facilities and stick to them. They may pull it off, but Rio looks to be a disaster that could ruin the Olympics.

You expect bureaucrats to make a smart choice?

Its probably two things, 1. Liberals want countries that can't afford, or support the Olympics, to have the chance to host one just like they wanted people that cant afford houses to buy one with bad credit all in the name of equality. 2. Brazilian Billionaires probably paid a lot of money to get the host.

Its probably two things, 1. Liberals want countries that can't afford, or support the Olympics, to have the chance to host one just like they wanted people that cant afford houses to buy one with bad credit all in the name of equality. 2. Brazilian Billionaires probably paid a lot of money to get the host.

I think it's a misguided "Every country /culture" can do it coupled with serious corruption in the whole process.

...What?

Does literally EVERYTHING have to be a partisan hack debate to some people?

The summer Olympics were in London last time. Hardly the sort of place that's struggled to modernize. It's one of the big three financial centers of the world. 2008 as in Bejing. China as a whole has some issues obviously, but Bejing is pretty mighty, and no one had any doubts that they'd be on top of the Olympics -- and they were.

Rio has a certain appeal, if you know absolutely nothing about it. That's why college kids go there. However, it was myopic and insane to put the Olympics there. That does not mean some kind of fabled "liberals" who just wanna take pity on the struggling city are responsible for sticking the Olympics there.

At any rate, I can't friggin' believe they didn't relocate the Olympics months ago. It's just an insult to all the athletes to try to make them deal with the conditions there.

Hell why just pick one city country to host every event at once. Swimmers can go here, track and field can go here, golfing here, shooting here, etc...

Doesn't that make them Brazillionaires?

Sorry...:inandout:

Probably not. I think china keeps their summer venue's in shape.

I am sure they do- but totalatarian societies have an advantage regarding the allocation of recesources while ignoring economics.

At the end of the day, the Olympics have been losing big money (in even flagship events) and also losing the attention of potential viewers since the Cold War ended. At its core, Rio is just another part of this pattern. I think this could be the last large scale Olympics as cities with enough money to absorb the losses have to justify hosting it to an increasingly reluctant public.

They need to pick ONE place to hold the Olympics and leave it there. I favor Athens due to it's historic nature, but I'm open to other options as well.

They need to pick ONE place to hold the Olympics and leave it there. I favor Athens due to it's historic nature, but I'm open to other options as well.

Greece couldn't afford it.

it is so sad

some of these athletes have devoted years of practice and competition to participate, and have that chance at being declared the "best" in the world

the IOC has known about the problems for a long time....and yet they sit on their hands

i dont know if it is possible at this late date to move some events for safety....but someone with a few brain cells left needs to consider it

i just feel sorry for the kids and parents who have to make the decision....do i go? do i let my kids go? will they be safe?

there should be some butterflies in the stomachs of parents from their children competing in the olympics, but their safety shouldnt be a reason

I agree I don't think it is reasonable to continue moving it everywhere. the winter Olympics are a bit different given that you need snow,
but the summer Olympics come on.

Greece cant afford it and lost alot of money trying to host it. The core issues are economics and a declining global interest. Rio has some other issues as well, but at the end of the day, the Olympics have been failing cash wise and marketing wise since the Cold War ended. Even if they did everything perfect, and Zika was a new meringue dance, Rio would still be in alot of trouble.

As a side note, Greece and China resorted to giving tons of free tickets- at even flag ship events to military personnel because they could not be sold. Watch the footage. I bet there were alot of "fans" with suspisciously short hair.

Last edited:
Greece couldn't afford it.

Have the nations who compete help pay for it or find another option. My point is that the host nations just keep having to build the same venues over and over again. Lets have one place where the Olympics could be held and avoid all that expense. Maybe Sapporo for the winter Olympics and Munich for the summer... I don't have a perfect location, but lets stop wasting money on "reinventing the wheel" every 4 years in new city.

I agree I don't think it is reasonable to continue moving it everywhere. the winter Olympics are a bit different given that you need snow,
but the summer Olympics come on.

There are lots of places that have successfully hosted the winter Olympics that have consistent weather - Oslo, Sapporo, etc.

Back
Top Bottom