• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Old people music?

rivrrat

Goddess of Bacon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Okay, so here's the thing. I never, in a million years, thought I would listen to classical music. I thought, 'WTF is that boring bull**** and why the hell would people listen to it?'

I find myself today sitting here listening to Beethoven and enjoying it. :shock:

Did the earth's poles just reverse or something?

Did I just cross some age threshold wherein this kind of music becomes appealing?

Or have I just become more 'enlightened'? :lol:

Okay, so here's the thing. I never, in a million years, thought I would listen to classical music. I thought, 'WTF is that boring bull**** and why the hell would people listen to it?'

I find myself today sitting here listening to Beethoven and enjoying it. :shock:

Did I just cross some age threshold wherein this kind of music becomes appealing?

Might want to give a listen to the East Village Opera Company and Nuttin But Strinz. OutSTANDING fusion of rock and opera, rap and classics...

Also 3 Mo' Tenors...fantastic!!!

get back to us if you ever realize that you have become enthralled by polka music
then you would have basis for legitimate concern about your mental health

The finale to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture is the finest piece of music you'll ever listen to.

Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"

Might want to give a listen to the East Village Opera Company and Nuttin But Strinz. OutSTANDING fusion of rock and opera, rap and classics...

Also 3 Mo' Tenors...fantastic!!!
I hate rap with a passion (and always have), except for the rare songs that are kind of on the fringe. But, I will give it a listen anyway. I'm always up for something new. :)

get back to us if you ever realize that you have become enthralled by polka music
then you would have basis for legitimate concern about your mental health
I think there is no chance of that happening.

The finale to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture is the finest piece of music you'll ever listen to.

Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"

I'll see if I can find those. Right now I'm just listening Pandora, so I have little say in which songs come up.

I love all kinds of music - especially classical and opera. I played violin for 15 years . . . always love it.

Classical music is one type of music, actually - it's a category like "Metal" or "western" - it's defined by certain instruments and a time-period in which it was written, and where. Beethoven was a classical composer, like Mozart and Brahms.

You likely know a lot of different pieces from these composers - Beethoven's 5th symphony was redone with that disco-flare that made it extremely popular with a new era of music-lovers.
There's Baroque = Vivaldi, Bach
Romantic = Chopin, Wagner
Nationalistic = Dvorak, Tchaikovsky (wrote 1812 overture)

A good list to interest you - you'd be surprised how many of these pieces you've heard on movies and such.
Classical Music - Popular, Famous, Best, Top 100 - Kickass Classical

Instrumental/Orchestral with lyrics of course is opera:
O-Fortuna was written by Carl Orff YouTube - Carl Orff - Oh Fortuna Lyrics - Orff was a German Composer.

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music is a free online radio of sorts called "the music genome project" - which is a great way to immerse yourself when just starting to like a certain genre and don't know who or what might be good to listen to. Enter in a few pieces of classical that you do know and like in a play-list and it'll give you others that match that same music-style.

*edit* - HAH - you're already tuned into Pandora! :) Great minds think alike. */edit*

Last edited:
Paco Bell Canon in D.

I like clasical music when I was studing or as background when working. Music with words tended to distract me when reading. I also enjoy most music. I do not like the Rap, or Hip-Hop, that is out now days. Never got into polka either. Not to sure on some of the so called new country that is out.
Give me a good country, bluegrass, blues, classical, folk music and I'm a happy camper.

I love all kinds of music - especially classical and opera. I played violin for 15 years . . . always love it.

LOL The last couple of months I've been tossing around the idea of buying a violin and taking lessons. Though, I was leaning more toward the "fiddle" side of it. ;) I realize they're the same instrument, but it would seem the type of playing is what differentiates the two, no? I want to play Charlie Daniels. ;)

Classical music is one type of music, actually - it's a category like "Metal" or "western" - it's defined by certain instruments and a time-period in which it was written, and where. Beethoven was a classical composer, like Mozart and Brahms.

You likely know a lot of different pieces from these composers - Beethoven's 5th symphony was redone with that disco-flare that made it extremely popular with a new era of music-lovers.
There's Baroque = Vivaldi, Bach
Romantic = Chopin, Wagner
Nationalistic = Dvorak, Tchaikovsky (wrote 1812 overture)
I'm quite sure I do know a great many of them by sound, but I'd never be able to say "That's such and such" when I hear it.

A good list to interest you - you'd be surprised how many of these pieces you've heard on movies and such.
Classical Music - Popular, Famous, Best, Top 100 - Kickass Classical

Instrumental/Orchestral with lyrics of course is opera:
O-Fortuna was written by Carl Orff YouTube - Carl Orff - Oh Fortuna Lyrics - Orff was a German Composer.
Thank you, I will check those out!

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music is a free online radio of sorts called "the music genome project" - which is a great way to immerse yourself when just starting to like a certain genre and don't know who or what might be good to listen to. Enter in a few pieces of classical that you do know and like in a play-list and it'll give you others that match that same music-style.

*edit* - HAH - you're already tuned into Pandora! :) Great minds think alike. */edit*
Pandora is fricken awesome!!! I've found so many new artists to enjoy because of it. Groups that I never knew existed and likely never would have.

Paco Bell Canon in D.

I like clasical music when I was studing or as background when working. Music with words tended to distract me when reading.
Honestly, I think that's a big part of it right now. I tend to listen to more music while I'm at work. I've found that I often have to pull my earbuds out when I'm really trying to concentrate because I'm generally listening to music that compells me to sing along. Or.. 'be-bop' to the beat. ;) The classical does not. I enjoy it, and it actually makes it *easier* to concentrate instead of harder.

I also enjoy most music. I do not like the Rap, or Hip-Hop, that is out now days. Never got into polka either. Not to sure on some of the so called new country that is out.
Give me a good country, bluegrass, blues, classical, folk music and I'm a happy camper.
I listen to all kinds as well.

I ve always enjoyed classical. I also enjoy rap, country and western, jazz, blues, disco, folk, etc.

The fiddle and violin use to be a little different in shape, bow style, and materials that were used when making the instrument - but you can play all kinds of music on a violin. Technique for different styles is where you'll spend most of your time working to improve your "fiddle" or "orchestral" sound. Fiddling is a lot harder than playing classical, that's for certain (physically) - it involves quickness in your string-fingers (the hand that functions the strings for notes) and your bow-arm. Choppy, quick and punctuated. Classical is all about tone - how "smooth" your sound is, and heavy on volume control and overall making your tempo (speed) and tone become fluid.

When I was in high school we'd go around the state playing fiddle-tunes with our small group. Our teacher was big on Mall and Street-corner performances. With our tips she'd buy us pizza. LOL! it was so fun.

If you want to start playing you can rent a violin and pick up a few different sets of books that teacher beginner basics - how to read music, how to hold and position your violin, for all different types of music. "American Fiddle Method" is a series for beginner fiddlers that I remember using. . .It's pure fun, can make you sweat - build up that left arm that tends to be undersized if you're right-handed, too.

As one of the younger people on this board, I can say that classical music is not "old people" music. At least I hope not

I absolutely love classical music. One of my favorite pieces of music ever is called "Nadia's Theme" by Henry Mancini, allegedly written for a Olympic floor competition with legendary Romanian gymnast Nadia Comenici. You may also recognize it in a shorter form as the theme to The Young and the Restless.

I'm a big piano guy. I would listen to Chopin and Rachmaninoff all day if I could.

A lot of great music mentioned here.

I would highlight Bach's Cello Suite No. 1: YouTube - Bach - Cello Suite No.1 i-Prelude

and Bach's Cello Suite No. 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WxnXerG4cM&NR=1

And a bit of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9qWpa2rIg&feature=related

The other mention I would enthusiastically mention is Vivaldi's Four Seasons:

YouTube - Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Winter)

YouTube - Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Spring)

YouTube - Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Summer)

YouTube - Vivaldi - Four Seasons (Autumn)

Last edited:

I listen to old people classical music sometimes too.Like The Doors, Led Zeplin, Maybe a little bit of Old Black Sabbath and a few others.:mrgreen:

I listen to old people classical music sometimes too.Like The Doors, Led Zeplin, Maybe a little bit of Old Black Sabbath and a few others.:mrgreen:

Black Sabbath was my fav when I was in Jr High........oppps I guess I'm showing my age:3oops:

I remember when Highway to Hell came out.

I really like the Paganini, Tucker!

Black Sabbath was my fav when I was in Jr High........oppps I guess I'm showing my age:3oops:

I remember when Highway to Hell came out.

Highway to Hell = AC/DC.

Heaven and Hell = Black Sabbath.

They were released at about the same time, though.

Last edited:
Pfffttt... WhatEVER. I played that at a stoplight on my way to work. Easy peasy.

:lol:

What are you doing playing classical guitar on a Vespa!? :roll:

Back
Top Bottom