• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Old Fashioned Rotary Phone Still in Use !

Would have to have a analog to digital converter to count the pulses each digit creates ( 1 = 1 , 2 = 2, 3 = 3, etc ) and then convert it to a usable digital signail

Pretty sure the old electro mechanical equipment the Phone Co used to decipher the pulsed codes from a rotary phone have been out of commission for some time now

My Mom still uses hers. She keeps it for when her cordless craps out or the power goes out. It's an old three prong plugin rotary dial phone we've had since the 70s. No converter. Sacramento, CA.

Would have to have a analog to digital converter to count the pulses each digit creates ( 1 = 1 , 2 = 2, 3 = 3, etc ) and then convert it to a usable digital signail

Pretty sure the old electro mechanical equipment the Phone Co used to decipher the pulsed codes from a rotary phone have been out of commission for some time now
I just successfully dialed a number by manually pulsing the hang up button on a cheap wall phone I keep for emergencies. Lol! :mrgreen:

I just successfully dialed a number by manually pulsing the hang up button on a cheap wall phone I keep for emergencies. Lol! :mrgreen:

Oh I am so going to do that when I get home tonight! !!

Oh I am so going to do that when I get home tonight! !!
As recently as 2004, my mother in law home would only take a pulse (dial ) phone.
The cheaper phones had a switch. I think the old switch cans were very robust,
so the phone company must have kept them until they died.

I should upgrade to one of those newfangled modern rotary dial phones. I keep having to click up Clara down at the depot to connect me to people I want to call and sometimes she is just not there to make the connection.

I should upgrade to one of those newfangled modern rotary dial phones. I keep having to click up Clara down at the depot to connect me to people I want to call and sometimes she is just not there to make the connection.

Here's an instructional when you make the leap. :)

Back
Top Bottom