• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Old Dog Days Of Summer

woodsman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I got a very sad glance from my aging Newfoundland this morning while on our morning walk. I make it a point to walk her in the cool morning’s, she is after all a 130lb Newfi with a triple hair coat. For some time I have noticed her lack of interest in the local squirrel population. Typically she doesn’t bother or care about them unless they push a certain personal barrier. But now, even they know this dog is not a threat and don’t even bother to scamper away as they do with other dogs.

This morning it wasn’t a squirrel it was a nice fluffy bunny, It seemed that even the bunny knew this dog wasn’t an issue, it didn’t run, It didn’t freeze in place it just kept on nibbling on grasses. I got the glance, she wanted to bark or even case but It’s just not in her any longer. I could have given her the code word command “who is that” and she would have barked and come to attention but it was 5:30am and I don’t think the neighbors would appreciate that.

It’s sad to watch this once majestic animal in her later years, at one time she competed in water rescue challenges and did very well. Her gentle nature has always been on display but really came forward with my grandchildren. I knew of this breeds dedication for children and babies but this was so very pronounced. It’s not in a guard dog type of way, she just slows down into gentle mode being very carful to not knock the kids over or scare them. With a crawling baby she will lay down as a barrier and try to keep the baby contained and safe and gently move as the child moves, sort of a play pen between the very large paws.

I was thinking yesterday my Lab is getting pretty old, took him quite a while to make it down the stairs. Good old dog.

I got a very sad glance from my aging Newfoundland this morning while on our morning walk. I make it a point to walk her in the cool morning’s, she is after all a 130lb Newfi with a triple hair coat. For some time I have noticed her lack of interest in the local squirrel population. Typically she doesn’t bother or care about them unless they push a certain personal barrier. But now, even they know this dog is not a threat and don’t even bother to scamper away as they do with other dogs.

This morning it wasn’t a squirrel it was a nice fluffy bunny, It seemed that even the bunny knew this dog wasn’t an issue, it didn’t run, It didn’t freeze in place it just kept on nibbling on grasses. I got the glance, she wanted to bark or even case but It’s just not in her any longer. I could have given her the code word command “who is that” and she would have barked and come to attention but it was 5:30am and I don’t think the neighbors would appreciate that.

It’s sad to watch this once majestic animal in her later years, at one time she competed in water rescue challenges and did very well. Her gentle nature has always been on display but really came forward with my grandchildren. I knew of this breeds dedication for children and babies but this was so very pronounced. It’s not in a guard dog type of way, she just slows down into gentle mode being very carful to not knock the kids over or scare them. With a crawling baby she will lay down as a barrier and try to keep the baby contained and safe and gently move as the child moves, sort of a play pen between the very large paws.

If life were fair, dogs would live as long as humans, but alas.
My German shepherd in her younger years never missed an opportunity to chase a squirrel or a rabbit. She could out hike any two legger I'd ever met. Then, she lost interest in chasing anything, didn't even want to walk around the block. Now, she's gone and I still miss her.

I lost my Aussie on September 15th. She was older and had gone into a decline with one problem after another since the beginning of the year. And she actually told me when it was time, sigh. I'll always miss her. That's the trade-off for all the wonderful years.

it's tough when we see them slow down a little more each week and know what is to come, it's like our spirit is entwined with theirs, and always will be

the last kind and loving thing we do for them, is to send them home before they suffer

Back
Top Bottom