• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Olbermann Suspended

OK, I've read the link and found his suspension on YouTube. Seems his ass is canned.

What can I say? He was a pompous liberal jerk who attacked anyone he didn't like.

Goodbye.

So you really missed the reference right here to Juan Williams?

And you missed the right wing outrage recently when he was fired for violating his sacred contract?

I guess you don't know the law very well, do you?

The only way Olbermann would have a case against NBC for suspending him, is if NBC had given what's referred to as "implied consent" for his actions. In other words, if NBC had knowingly allowed others employees with a similar job description, and bound by the same ethics policy as Olbermann, to violate that particular clause without repercussions. In that case, suspending Olbermann could be deemed actionable, or seen as some kind of violation toward him.

It's for that reason, implied consent, that the firing of Juan Williams was deemed wrong by the majority of the public and most media personalities from both sides of the political fence.

Last edited:
from Phoenix

So Williams was not fired for violating the terms of his contract? When that happened the right wing and the liberty lobby thought it was a huge violation of his rights as an American and screamed like a stuck pig.
No, he wasn't.
Where is their outrage now?

Wait... I know. Its hiding behind their ideological loathing of one of their sworn enemies. Lovers of Liberty!?!?!? humbug.
Where is your hypocrisy now?

from Phoenix

So Williams was not fired for violating the terms of his contract? When that happened the right wing and the liberty lobby thought it was a huge violation of his rights as an American and screamed like a stuck pig.

Wait... I know. Its hiding behind their ideological loathing of one of their sworn enemies. Lovers of Liberty!?!?!? humbug.

Sheez...you quoted me and still don't get it. NEITHER's RIGHT's were violated.

So you really missed the reference right here to Juan Williams?

Where was anyone saying that they violated Williams personal "RIGHTS" by firing him? Who was saying that? What "Right Wing Outrage", emplying some kind of large combined force, was saying his RIGHTS were violated?

All I remember hearing is people saying that what he said wasn't that bad, especially in the context of things, and it was ridiculous to fire him. Especially since the comment shouldn't hurt his credibility due to the context in which it was said and his long history.

But I don't remember anyone saying that they didn't have a RIGHT to fire him.

By the way, NPR's not even a perfect example anyways because they're publicly funded so not exactly as "private" as a company like MSNBC.

Again, who the hell said that it was a violation of his "RIGHTS"? Lets see some quotes since you're claiming this not as something you remember but something you're stating as fact.

No where. In part because the outrage you speak of wasn't there. In part because the outrage that WAS there was due to the fact that what he did wasn't that bad, where as its the notion that contributing to political campaigns for a media person is generally thought of in many circle as an ethics issue.

But still, there was no outrage about "Rights" with Williams.

1. Private company, so they can do whatever they want.
2. People have the right to say whatever they want, but still must suffer social consequences for what they say.
3. Journalists are supposed to have a duty to the people, rather than to money. This is why the First Amendment specifically promotes a free press. In our modern world of news corporations, they pretty much all fail to fulfill that duty, be they on NBC or Fox.

Journalists are supposed to have a duty to tell the truth, and nothing else. They are meant to relay facts, without slant or bias, and without attempting to promote a specific view. Olbermann is just as guilty as Beck.

My complete lack of faith in anyone proclaiming themselves as a lover and defender of liberty while pushing a right wing conservative agenda at the same time is totally and completely validated by the sanctimonious double talk and bending over backwards evidenced by this response.

Its almost worth a short suspension of Olbermann.

Almost.

This is about the internet messengers of the right wing gloating and rejoicing in the removal of a huge pain in their ass.

BS: he was fired for his behavior on election night; but they didn't want to say that.

:lol: perhaps Alan Grayson is looking to fill a slot.

One thing for sure.... another nut case will take his place. I can just see hundreds lined up to fill out work applications. :lamo

Last edited:
I kind of believe that big business trying to restrict your rights in exchange for a job is just as wrong as the government trying to restrict your rights.

You can remain in the country and not work for big business. You can't remain in the country and not be part of government. Government's responsability is the good of the people, Corporations responsability is the good of their share holders and profit margin. You can live in America and not work for a company you disagree with, you can't live in America and not live under the government it has. A company can only fire you, the government can imprison you.

Should companies be allowed to force employees to suck the boss's dick or some other sexual favor to get a promotion or to keep a job,

Legally? Sure, if that's the consistantly enforced policy and is plainly stated for employees. Then again, I don't think such a business would succeed. Welcome to capitalism.

force employees to wear ankle monitoring devices while not on the job

As above.

be forced to have chip implants

This ones a bit more iffy as its a permanently altering action.

totally give up your constitutional rights while off the job.

No problem. If a company you work for is focused around, for example, is heavily involved in stopping gun violence and they have a company policy that employee's can't own guns I have no issue with that. You're constitutional rights aren't being violated because you can still go and own a gun, you just won't have that job anymore.

Where does it end?

Where the job market won't put up with it any longer.

After all you do not have a right to a job so by your logic your boss can force you perform sexual favors on his 97 year old grandma who thinks you're hot so you can keep your job or get a promotion.

Actually he can't if that's not a consistantly applied, publicized, official policy...otherwise its illegal.

My complete lack of faith in anyone proclaiming themselves as a lover and defender of liberty while pushing a right wing conservative agenda at the same time is totally and completely validated by the sanctimonious double talk and bending over backwards evidenced by this response.

Almost.

This is about the internet messengers of the right wing gloating and rejoicing in the removal of a huge pain in their ass.

You still don't get it... This has nothing to do with liberty or violating anyones rights and freedoms.

He came to an agreement with NBC, signed a contract of employment with them, then violated the terms of that contract. He traded his right to contribute to those campaigns for a big, fat, multi-million dollar paycheck.

Almost.

huge pain?

he lives in an echo chamber. The show is sow ridiculous nobody that disagrees watches the rhetoric. For this reason, he causes no pain at all.

Why should any American have to put aside their rights as a citizen to privately participate in the supporting of candidates in exchange for a job? Such a clause in any contract - signed or otherwise - should be ruled as a violation of the Constitution.

Of course that would mean taking on the power of the corporation and we know how the liberty lobby feels about that. Besides, its the hated Keith Olbermann who has said tons of nasty things bout republicans and libertarians.

Why should any American have to put aside their rights as a citizen to privately participate in the supporting of candidates in exchange for a job? Such a clause in any contract - signed or otherwise - should be ruled as a violation of the Constitution.

Of course that would mean taking on the power of the corporation and we know how the liberty lobby feels about that. Besides, its the hated Keith Olbermann who has said tons of nasty things bout republicans and libertarians.
What right was violated? What right? Please name one.

What about the right of the business? MSNBC as a business has rights. Olberman has the rights of a citizen, and he used his right to enter into an employment contract which prohibited him from donating to political campaigns. By all means does Olberman have the right to free speech and to donate to whatever he wants. However the private company also has rights and as the employer and they have the liberty to fire him for violating his contract.

Why should any American have to put aside their rights as a citizen to privately participate in the supporting of candidates in exchange for a job?

THEY DON'T HAVE TO!

Olbermann could have said no, but he didn't.

Such a clause in any contract - signed or otherwise - should be ruled as a violation of the Constitution.

But they aren't, so your argument holds no water.

Why should any American have to put aside their rights as a citizen to privately participate in the supporting of candidates in exchange for a job?

Because they are not putting it aside, they are VOLUNTEERILY withholding from utilizing those rights in exchange for a job that is a highly competitive and desirious spot.

They can act upon their rights at ANY TIME THEY WANT, but so too can the people running the corporation.

Such a clause in any contract - signed or otherwise - should be ruled as a violation of the Constitution.

No, it shouldn't. What you're saying means Non-Disclosure agreements would be unconstitutional. It would mean that people could go out and publicly slander their company they work with with no recourse on the part of the company. It means they can share company secrets with other companies. All of those are forms of speech so in your weird world where somehow other citizens must be forced to act in a certain way with regards to someone elses rights they would have to be okay.

You have the right to free speech. I, as a person, have the right to hear your speech, think you're a fool, and never deal with you again.

simiarly

You have the right to free speech. A corporation, as a private entity made up of individuals, have the right to hear your speech and if it violates rules they've explicitely laid out for you, never deal with you again.

Your grasp of the constitution, rights, liberty, and what anyone is actually saying is frightly, FRIGHTFULLY, weak.

Grim - you do realize that such things can indeed be ruled illegal in the future because of actions like this one don't you?

As what rights of his were violated: does a citizen have a right to support candidates of their choice in their private life?
Has not the US Supreme Court said that the donation of money to a candidate is an exercise of ones rights?

Does anyone remember that the parent corporation of FOX News - News Corp. gave a $1 million dollar donation to the GOP this summer? So it is all right for the corporations to do this but the lowly employees of such corporations are forbidden from doing so?

And you ask where the hypocrisy is. Amazing.

Keith Olbermann booted from MSNBC

The Plum Line - Keith Olbermann booted from MSNBC

Keith Olbermann's suspension from MSNBC without pay for making $7200 in political contributions is, I think, clear proof that MSNBC brass is extremely sensitive to claims that the network is evolving into the Fox News of the left.

MSNBC has had a policy in place since at least 2007 that bars "anyone working for NBC News" to make political contributions without prior approval of the network's president.

Grim - you do realize that such things can indeed be ruled illegal in the future because of actions like this one don't you?

So what? That has nothing to do with NOW.

As what rights of his were violated: does a citizen have a right to support candidates of their choice in their private life?
Has not the US Supreme Court said that the donation of money to a candidate is an exercise of ones rights?

We're just going around in circles... Here's the bottom line:

Yes a person has a right to support candidates of their choice in their private life, and yes a donation of money to a candidate is an exercise of those rights... Unless a person makes a free and conscience choice to legally give up those rights for a period of time in return for financial compensation.

Olbermann freely chose to trade away his right to contribute to the candidate of his choice, for a multi-million dollar contract as a political pundit for MSNBC.

Olbermann gave that right away... NBC did not take it from him.

Re: Keith Olbermann booted from MSNBC

On October 7th, in reference to the Fox News donations, Olbermann asked House Majority Whip James Clyburn if there is a legislative response available when a cable news network "goes beyond having a point of view and actually starts to shill for partisan causes and actually starts to donate to partisan groups of one party."

Like you just did Keith?

If you believe this B.S. you still think Obama is smarter than a fifth grader.

Olbermann if actually is not getting paid it will be for poor ratings because he's a damn fool and not because of anything else.

Olbermann and his gay pal Matthews have always done nothing but follow orders of the network and bash anyone who is not and Obama worshiper.

Hell they keep Matthews on the air and he came out of the closet live on the air.

I wonder how his cover wife took the news, or has she known he was gay all along. I mean he did talk about Howard Deans arms before.

This is a bogus story, and Olbermann will be back unless they can get someone else who will get better ratings.

If you believe this B.S. you still think Obama is smarter than a fifth grader.

Olbermann if actually is not getting paid it will be for poor ratings because he's a damn fool and not because of anything else.

Olbermann and his gay pal Matthews have always done nothing but follow orders of the network and bash anyone who is not and Obama worshiper.

Hell they keep Matthews on the air and he came out of the closet live on the air.

I wonder how his cover wife took the news, or has she known he was gay all along. I mean he did talk about Howard Deans arms before.

This is a bogus story, and Olbermann will be back unless they can get someone else who will get better ratings.

What does the mans sexual orientation have to do with his political leanings? Can't you separate the two?

Sure he does. Did he? Yes he did. What's the problem?

Back
Top Bottom