• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Olbermann Suspended

Zyphlin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Story here

Suspended indefinitely due to making contributions to three political candidates during the election.

From one of their headline anchors during the Election to on the bench, this leaves a hole for MSNBC I'm sure.

I fully expect every self proclaimed lover of Liberty and Individual Rights to stand up proudly and come to the support of Mr. Olbermann as NBC has grossly violated his rights as an American.

I fully expect every self proclaimed lover of Liberty and Individual Rights to stand up proudly and come to the support of Mr. Olbermann as NBC has grossly violated his rights as an American.

That's rather silly of you to expect that.

Olbermann works for a private organization which has the freedom to impose its own restrictions on their people in the best interest of their company. Why would those that care about individual liberty be any more likely to think his rights were violated by this than they thought were violated by CBS choosing to remove Don Imus?

Olbermann doesn't have a "right" to a job.

like for Juan Williams?

Of course it is utterly silly of me to expect the Liberty breast thumpers to come to the support of KO. You don't think I know that they love to revel in their own hypocrisy and find any excuse to skewer someone seen as their sworn enemy?

I saw that it was the "World's worst" part that was being suspended in the hopes that the right would perhaps follow suit. I'd like to see Olbermann gone legally, but it seems he will still have his show. At least I'll still have his segment to laugh at.

I saw the clips on YouTube.

If they want to change their image as being the liberal Fox I think it is well within their rights to fire him. This is mass media and image can make or break you.

Of course it is utterly silly of me to expect the Liberty breast thumpers to come to the support of KO. You don't think I know that they love to revel in their own hypocrisy and find any excuse to skewer someone seen as their sworn enemy?

How is it "hypocrisy".

Where in the world do the "Liberty Breast Thumpers" believe that anyone has the RIGHT to a job? Where do they believe that a private business doesn't have the RIGHT to suspend an employee for violating a rule?

For there to be hypocrisy there'd have to be people actually acting in the way you suggest, where are they?

Nope, he himself is suspended from MSNBC without pay indefinitely for violating the companies ethics policies.

Olbermann signed a contract, so it's not a matter of violating his individual rights. If he in fact did violate that contract, NBC had every right to suspend him.

As for the suspension itself... It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I see he donated to the opponent of Rand Paul. Let it be recorded that Olbermann stood proud for principle when the jack booted thugs of the new American fascism began stomping on the people of America.

For there to be hypocrisy there'd have to be people actually acting in the way you suggest, where are they?

Perhaps you missed the mention in this very thread of the right wing darling of free speech and the gross injustice done to him - Juan Williams, formerly of NPR?

from DarkWizard

like for Juan Williams?

Last edited:

Could you enlighten us as to which "rights as an American" has been violated?

Could you enlighten us as to which "rights as an American" has been violated?

None, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Ahh, beautiful hyperbole. At least we know you're not a Jon Stewart fan.

Yes, I actually comend Olbermann for seemingly putting his principles before his desire to keep his job. That said, its no one's fault but his own that he's suspended and I'm not going to cry a tear over that fact.

Story here

Suspended indefinitely due to making contributions to three political candidates during the election.

From one of their headline anchors during the Election to on the bench, this leaves a hole for MSNBC I'm sure.

He will be terribly missed by the 8 of his MSNBC watchers, perhaps Fox news will feel sorry for him and pick him up also.

So you really missed the reference right here to Juan Williams?

And you missed the right wing outrage recently when he was fired for violating his sacred contract?

Story here

BS: he was fired for his behavior on election night; but they didn't want to say that.

:lol: perhaps Alan Grayson is looking to fill a slot.

I'm waiting for the Personal Responsibility Party to rally around the guy who broke his contractual word. And the Liberty Party to demand that companies eliminate all rules.

I don't really see why MSNBC suspended him or why it's a big deal. Does anyone actually consider Keith Olbermann to be a purveyor of non partisan, unbiased reporting?

The only reason I can think of is that Phil Griffin and Olbermann have criticized Fox News for contributing money to candidates. Maybe it just pissed Griffin off for Olbermann to do that after hawking on Fox.

Last edited:
So you really missed the reference right here to Juan Williams?

And you missed the right wing outrage recently when he was fired for violating his sacred contract?

You fail to recognize the difference between "That's ****ed up he was fired for saying what he really thinks" and his RIGHTS were violated. Huge, like, solar systems kinda of huge, difference here.

If KO wants "Cancun, No Rules!", he can anchor on MTV.

I seriously doubt any suspension by a major news outlet is without support in company contract. For KO to smack down MSNBC for infractions against liberty and all that is right would be too funny. What's next, Beck is suspended and calls Fox nazis?

Last edited:
I think Olbermann is a jerk, just like others on MSNBC. I do think this is a rather minor thing to be fired over though.

from Phoenix

You fail to recognize the difference between "That's ****ed up he was fired for saying what he really thinks" and his RIGHTS were violated. Huge, like, solar systems kinda of huge, difference here.

So Williams was not fired for violating the terms of his contract? When that happened the right wing and the liberty lobby thought it was a huge violation of his rights as an American and screamed like a stuck pig.

Where is their outrage now?

Wait... I know. Its hiding behind their ideological loathing of one of their sworn enemies. Lovers of Liberty!?!?!? humbug.

Story here

I kind of believe that big business trying to restrict your rights in exchange for a job is just as wrong as the government trying to restrict your rights. Should companies be allowed to force employees to suck the boss's dick or some other sexual favor to get a promotion or to keep a job, force employees to wear ankle monitoring devices while not on the job, be forced to have chip implants, totally give up your constitutional rights while off the job. Be forced to vote for a particular candidate? Where does it end? After all you do not have a right to a job so by your logic your boss can force you perform sexual favors on his 97 year old grandma who thinks you're hot so you can keep your job or get a promotion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom