• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Oklahoma proposes death penalty for 2 time sex offenders

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I am 100 percent for this.............How do you feel?

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=4400222

Death Penalty Proposed for Repeat Sex Offenders
Posted: Feb 6, 2006, 06:33 AM PST

Repeat child molestors are becoming more and more an issue today. They are set free, only to shatter the life of another innocent child. Oklahoma Senator Jay Paul Gumm is committed to making Oklahoma the safest state possible for your children.

The Senator has written legislation to ensure that repeat child molesters face the toughest penalty possible. It's called Senate Bill 1747. It would make repeat child molesters subject to life in prison without parol or even the death penalty.

Right now, the most severe punishment for repeat sex offenders is one year in the county jail or life in prison. Oklahoma has already passed "Jessica's Law" that requires lifetime monitoring of repeat sex offenders. Gumm's bill expands Jessica's Law, making the most heinous repeat offenders subject to the death penalty.

Parents of young children agree, that something has to be done. "As a future educator and a mother myself, I think we're too lenient on sex offenders as it is. There's too many people that come out of prison and they hurt our children again", said Tina Jackson.

After becoming a father himself, Senator Gumm says, "If there was a crime that was worthy of the punishment by death or life without parole, it is that crime that is commiitted against a defenseless child."

Senator Gumm is confident this new bill will pass in the senate and become a law. Lawmakers will consider Senator Gumm's repeat sex offender bill when the 2006 session begins February 6th.

Depends on what all crimes fall under the category of "sex offenders". That's an awfully damned broad category-- and it includes a number of non-predatory behaviors.

However, I do think that this is a good thing. We need to face the psychiatric evidence that shows, time after time, that people who sexually abuse children never stop.

Are you ****ing serious?:shock:

I mean lock them up for life, but kill them?

Why so harsh?

Synch said:
Are you ****ing serious?:shock:

Why so harsh?

Fu*k that. Kill 'em. Sex offenders (pedophiles and serial rapists) are rarely "cured," therefore they will always be predators and their victims feel the abuse for life and sometimes is passed on to their kids. What is the point in locking them up on tax payer dollars when that prison cell could be used for criminals that can still positively contribute to society one day?

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
I am 100 percent for this.............How do you feel?

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=4400222

Death Penalty Proposed for Repeat Sex Offenders
Posted: Feb 6, 2006, 06:33 AM PST

Repeat child molestors are becoming more and more an issue today. They are set free, only to shatter the life of another innocent child. Oklahoma Senator Jay Paul Gumm is committed to making Oklahoma the safest state possible for your children.

The Senator has written legislation to ensure that repeat child molesters face the toughest penalty possible. It's called Senate Bill 1747. It would make repeat child molesters subject to life in prison without parol or even the death penalty.

Right now, the most severe punishment for repeat sex offenders is one year in the county jail or life in prison. Oklahoma has already passed "Jessica's Law" that requires lifetime monitoring of repeat sex offenders. Gumm's bill expands Jessica's Law, making the most heinous repeat offenders subject to the death penalty.

Parents of young children agree, that something has to be done. "As a future educator and a mother myself, I think we're too lenient on sex offenders as it is. There's too many people that come out of prison and they hurt our children again", said Tina Jackson.

After becoming a father himself, Senator Gumm says, "If there was a crime that was worthy of the punishment by death or life without parole, it is that crime that is commiitted against a defenseless child."

Senator Gumm is confident this new bill will pass in the senate and become a law. Lawmakers will consider Senator Gumm's repeat sex offender bill when the 2006 session begins February 6th.

Repeat child molesting is a serious problem. I think putting them away for life without parole is good enough if they are repeat offenders. That will remove them from society for good and isn't that the goal in these cases? Deterrence could be another goal but if the threat of more prison time is not enough to deter someone from molesting a child, then probably nothing will. I cannot imagine that most repeat child molesters are thinking about the consequences of their actions, so threatening death would probably be meaningless. Also, the crime would have to be very well defined.

Synch said:
Why so harsh?

The victims of murder stop suffering immediately. The victims of rape suffer for years-- and the victims of child rape often become child rapists themselves.

I see victimizing a child as a more severe crime than killing another grown man, and thus I believe that the penalties should be more severe.

GySgt said:
Fu*k that. Kill 'em. Sex offenders (pedophiles and serial rapists) are rarely "cured," therefore they will always be predators and their victims feel the abuse for life and sometimes is passed on to their kids. What is the point in locking them up on tax payer dollars when that prison cell could be used for criminals that can still positively contribute to society one day?

5.3% of sex offenders released from prison in 15 states were arrested for sex crimes again within 3 years (1994). 94.7% were not. This is evidence that sex offenders can be rehabilitated.

http://http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#sex

Last edited:
I don't know... sex offenders get treated really.... 'well'.... in prison don't they? Why not life without parole where they get raped and molested and abused day-in and day-out by the gen-pop.... I think death is too good for them in my opinion...

alex said:
5.3% of sex offenders released from prison in 15 states were arrested for sex crimes again within 3 years (1994). 94.7% were not. This is evidence that sex offenders can be rehabilitated.

http://http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#sex

This is evidence that sex offenders learn how not to get caught after the first time.:cool:

reaganburch said:
I don't know... sex offenders get treated really.... 'well'.... in prison don't they? Why not life without parole where they get raped and molested and abused day-in and day-out by the gen-pop.... I think death is too good for them in my opinion...

Isn't that ironic? Death sentence protesters always talk of how inhumane it is to execute the most henious criminal element and would rather inhumanely confine them to a life time of rape and torture instead? I say, save the money and kill them off.

GySgt said:
Isn't that ironic? Death sentence protesters always talk of how inhumane it is to execute the most henious criminal element and would rather inhumanely confine them to a life time of rape and torture instead? I say, save the money and kill them off.

I totally agree, but sometimes, death is TOO good for an offender... especially a child rapist....

reaganburch said:
I totally agree, but sometimes, death is TOO good for an offender... especially a child rapist....

Castrate him with a rusty dull knife then execute him........

reaganburch said:
Why not life without parole where they get raped and molested and abused day-in and day-out by the gen-pop...

Because the conditions that we tolerate within our prison system are a national disgrace.

Not only does this behavior actively interfere with our goals of rehabilitation, but taking a man into our custody and then allowing and encouraging his abuse is grossly dishonorable.

reaganburch said:
I think death is too good for them in my opinion...

That may be true, but we're too good to give them anything else-- or at least, we should be.

Korimyr the Rat said:
Because the conditions that we tolerate within our prison system are a national disgrace.

Not only does this behavior actively interfere with our goals of rehabilitation, but taking a man into our custody and then allowing and encouraging his abuse is grossly dishonorable.

That may be true, but we're too good to give them anything else-- or at least, we should be.

If a prisoner is in there for life without parole, why, as a taxpayer, should I pay for 'rehabilitation'? And is his 'punishment' any worse than the punishment he or she doled out on a child? What about that guy in Vermont who raped and abused a girl for 5 years? Who had the worse punishment? The girl or the guy who got sentenced to jail for a few months?

I might be cold and probably are, but, as a man who's going to be a parent in 4 weeks, I couldn't care less what happens to a child molester in prison... As a society, we should be bigger than that, I agree... But, as a man? I honestly am completely cold to it...

here is part of the text of the bill itself:
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2005-06sb/sb1747_int.rtf

E. Any parent or other person who shall willfully or maliciously engage in child sexual abuse shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment in the State Penitentiary not exceeding life imprisonment, or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one (1) year, or by a fine of not less than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) nor more than Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), or both such fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 3 51.1 of this act Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes. Except as provided in Section 51.1 of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes, any parent or other person convicted of child sexual abuse subsequent to a previous conviction for child sexual abuse shall be punished by death, by imprisonment for life without parole or by imprisonment for life. As used in this section, “child sexual abuse” means the willful or malicious sexual abuse, as defined by paragraph 6 of subsection B of Section 7102 of this title, of a child under eighteen (18) years of age by another.

Not going to work, not in our society, not how the appeals system works!

This is exactly why I do not support the death penalty anymore, it just does not work. It's years and years of appeal after appeal, and the tax payer foots the bill. I say send then to an island, and if no one supports their needs, they starve to death! This of course is said out of frustration, but it's the only way to realistically get them the death sentence they deserve. You can't possibly sentence everyone who is convicted to a life sentence, there is not enough prisons to hold them all, not with the drug offenders we presently hold. No, this will not work, pleasent thought though, I would even volunteer to pull the switch!

Deegan said:

This is exactly why I do not support the death penalty anymore, it just does not work. It's years and years of appeal after appeal, and the tax payer foots the bill. I say send then to an island, and if no one supports their needs, they starve to death! This of course is said out of frustration, but it's the only way to realistically get them the death sentence they deserve. You can't possibly sentence everyone who is convicted to a life sentence, there is not enough prisons to hold them all, not with the drug offenders we presently hold. No, this will not work, pleasent thought though, I would even volunteer to pull the switch!

I acknowledge your frustrations and agree with them.

Deegan said:

yeah... building more prisons doesnt seem to be a very high priority.

Navy Pride said:
Castrate him with a rusty dull knife then execute him........

I think I might have said this before...lol

Two rounds in the head.
Cremate the sob
Throw ashes in nearest landfill

reaganburch said:
If a prisoner is in there for life without parole...

Well, here's the first problem. Life without parole is nothing more than saying "we as a society recognize that this creature is too dangerous to live among us, but we are too spineless to kill him ourselves."

Life without parole is nothing more than moral cowardice dressed up as compassion. It disgusts me.

reaganburch said:
... why, as a taxpayer, should I pay for 'rehabilitation'?

As long as we are dealing with people who will eventually be released, I would say that the reason that you, as a taxpayer, should pay for rehabilitation is the same reason that you, as a taxpayer, should pay for the poison we use to execute others.

Because that is how our society has decided that such creatures should be handled.

As for why we should rehabilitate people that we're unwilling to kill, I think that should be obvious: we rehabilitate them in order to reduce the rate of recividism and the amount of money we have to waste on arresting them and trying them over and over again. We're better off getting them back to paying taxes than we are continuing to pay taxes to support them.

reaganburch said:
And is his 'punishment' any worse than the punishment he or she doled out on a child?

The question isn't whether or not his punishment is any worse; the question is whether or not we, as human beings, are any better.

Taking custody of this creature places us in a position of authority and responsibility over him. If we allow him to be abused and sexually violated while he is in our custody, we are no different than he is.

And I find that unacceptable.

reaganburch said:
What about that guy in Vermont who raped and abused a girl for 5 years? ... The girl or the guy who got sentenced to jail for a few months?

If you really need to ask me this question, you haven't read my other posts in this thread.

That man should have been killed, but he should have been killed cleanly and humanely because we are better than him. Feral dogs that maul children are put to sleep-- not raped to death in their kennels.

That judge should have been removed from the bench.

reaganburch said:
I might be cold and probably are, but, as a man who's going to be a parent in 4 weeks, I couldn't care less what happens to a child molester in prison... As a society, we should be bigger than that, I agree... But, as a man? I honestly am completely cold to it...

I have as much reason to hate child rapists as you do, and probably more; my position has nothing whatsoever to do with compassion for them.

This is a matter of honor, and allowing the abuse and violation of persons in our care is grossly dishonorable. If we are going to allow such a creature to be tortured and raped, we should simply publish his name and picture and turn him loose.

I do not think that is acceptable either, but only because of this risk that he might attack another child.

Korimyr the Rat said:
Life without parole is nothing more than saying "we as a society recognize that this creature is too dangerous to live among us, but we are too spineless to kill him ourselves."

I think that's quite true in cases of murder and capital murder.

But in cases of child molestation, though my visceral reaction is to execute the perpetrator slowly using dull tweezers and an acetylene torch, there remains the issue of the victim still being alive.

I'm unaware of any legal precedent wherein we execute a perpetrator when the victim was not killed during the crime. I'm reluctant for a number of reasons to establish any such precedent, even in the face of the heinous nature of child molestation.

I think, in the vernacular, this particular issue is "a bitch".

Carl said:
I think that's quite true in cases of murder and capital murder.

But in cases of child molestation, though my visceral reaction is to execute the perpetrator slowly using dull tweezers and an acetylene torch, there remains the issue of the victim still being alive.

I'm unaware of any legal precedent wherein we execute a perpetrator when the victim was not killed during the crime. I'm reluctant for a number of reasons to establish any such precedent, even in the face of the heinous nature of child molestation.

I think, in the vernacular, this particular issue is "a bitch".

I guess I am a little more hard core then you.....I know a child that was molested and raped over a period of 2 years.........The childs life has been ruined........She has to have therapy and it has been going on for 4 years.........She is deathly afraid of all men........

The rapist got a 6 year sentence and was out in 3........I would have killed him myself if I had the chance........

Isn't that ironic?
Do you know the definition of irony?
Death sentence protesters always talk of how inhumane it is to execute the most henious criminal element and would rather inhumanely confine them to a life time of rape and torture instead? I say, save the money and kill them off.
well i think both are wrong!

Carl said:
But in cases of child molestation, though my visceral reaction is to execute the perpetrator slowly using dull tweezers and an acetylene torch...

Honestly, I think that's the problem. Most people look at this issue viscerally, when for the sake of our honor and the integrity of our justice system, we need to look at it impartially.

Carl said:
I'm unaware of any legal precedent wherein we execute a perpetrator when the victim was not killed during the crime.

Treason.

And I think that's an apt comparison, because aside from the issue of sexual assault, both are crimes related to the betrayal of the most basic bonds of our society. Both crimes also have ramifications far beyond the inital offense.

It's like I said earlier-- the victim of a murder stops suffering immediately, and has very little chance of going on to become a murderer himself.

Carl said:
I'm reluctant for a number of reasons to establish any such precedent, even in the face of the heinous nature of child molestation.

I can understand that. Most people view the death penalty in terms of "an eye for an eye", and cannot excuse taking a life for a crime that did not involve the loss of life.

I operate under no such compunction, because I don't see the function of our justice system as punishment. It exists to either rehabilitate criminals or to remove them from society, and I think that any other purpose is extraneous and possibly counter-productive. The death penalty is merely the most permanent and secure means of removing someone from society-- and given the condition of our prisons, the most humane as well.

I also do not think that we should declare something a criminal offense, to be enforced by armed police officers, if we are not willing to kill someone dead in order to prevent them from doing it.

Back
Top Bottom