• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oklahoma Legislature Passes Bill Making it a Felony to Perform Abortions[W:425]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Lawmakers in Oklahoma approved a bill Thursday that would make performing abortions a felony and revoke the medical licenses of any physician who assists in such a procedure.

This sweeping measure, which opponents described as unconstitutional and unprecedented, now heads to Gov. Mary Fallin (R). She will have five days to decide whether to sign the bill, veto it or allow it to become law without her signature, and her office did not immediately respond to a request Thursday about her plans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bill-making-it-a-felony-to-perform-abortions/

As an initial note, I have to imagine that this law was passed specifically to be challenged and eventually brought to the Supreme Court in order to further re-visit and (in the eyes of those who passed this law) to further erode abortion rights. Hopefully the Governor vetoes the legislation and women never have to risk that threat.

As a side note, I have to wonder what Kentucy Daisy, one of the pioneers of women's rights and someone who became famous for her role in first settling, and then helping other women to settle, large tracts of territory in Oklahoma would have thought of her state if she were around today.

A sad day for Oklahoma.

Re: Oklahoma Legislature Passes Bill Making it a Felony to Perform Abortions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bill-making-it-a-felony-to-perform-abortions/

As an initial note, I have to imagine that this law was passed specifically to be challenged and eventually brought to the Supreme Court in order to further re-visit and (in the eyes of those who passed this law) to further erode abortion rights. Hopefully the Governor vetoes the legislation and women never have to risk that threat.

As a side note, I have to wonder what Kentucy Daisy, one of the pioneers of women's rights and someone who became famous for her role in first settling, and then helping other women to settle, large tracts of territory in Oklahoma would have thought of her state if she were around today.

A sad day for Oklahoma.

If it is as stated, there's no way that law would stand if signed.

Shameful, outrageous and unconstitutional. That law will never stand.

The worst part about this are the personal stories which are shared as propaganda. In such a highly personal issue, with mounting societal pressures, you are bound to find some people who experience varying degrees of emotion. I don't think anyone wants to have to get sore over this, but a woman who regrets an abortion is truly a tragic story. Pain does not legitimize poor choices, and since abortions are extremely rarely forced, I fail to see how the sob stories are relevant to the issue. This whole ordeal must create extreme pressures on otherwise secure, sane women. I can't imagine how this law would affect men.

People seem to see this as the first domino in a chain reaction, but as other users have said, this will not stand. So where is the energy, conviction and lack of foresight going to lead? Some people seem to really want to be able to strike a legal right from the lives of women based on the obscure notion that birth rights somehow extend in life pre birth. A pregnancy is one life.

Shameful, outrageous and unconstitutional. That law will never stand.

That must be the point, pass something that generates a challenge and really forces the courts to evaluate this again. Odds are you are right, this will be struck down but that will not stop social conservatism from trying to chip away at this any chance they can get.

A sad day for Oklahoma.

Good for Oklahoma for solving every problem in their state that they now have the time to pass bills that wouldn't survive two minutes on appeal. Their efficiency is a model for us all.

Last edited:

Good for Oklahoma for solving every problem in their state that they now have the time to pass bills that wouldn't survive two minutes in appeal. Their efficiency is a model for us all.

80-YourTiredYourPoorYourHuddledMasses.jpg
WASPs in Oklahoma right now

This is GREAT news to hear. It SHOULD be against the law for women to kill their children. Great work Oklahoma :)

2010-09-20-lord-fate-evil-incarnate.png

I'll be over here sipping my tea...

If States are allowed to nullify Federal law by legalizing marijuana, the Oklahoma can make abortion illegal, because there's no federal law making abortion legal.

Good for Oklahoma for solving every problem in their state that they now have the time to pass bills that wouldn't survive two minutes on appeal. Their efficiency is a model for us all.

Yeah I'm sure no children go hungry in that state...

It will be overturned by the first Federal Court to hear any case brought before it. Followed all the way up the chain to SCOTUS which will not overrule Roe v. Wade.

Yeah I'm sure no children go hungry in that state...

Are there any starving children in Colorado? Or New York City?

Are there any starving children in Colorado? Or New York City?

Are they wasting time with laws that will obviously be overturned?

Last edited:

It will be overturned by the first Federal Court to hear any case brought before it. Followed all the way up the chain to SCOTUS which will not overrule Roe v. Wade.
SCOTUS does not even need to hear the case. It will remain overturned based on the lower court ruling and of course the imbeciles who passed this will be remain just that.

Damn this southern states legislators strike again. Next they need to make sure that you can't sell cakes to gays and transgenders can't use their choice of bathroom.

A sad day for Oklahoma.

Hopefully, Oklahoma is like MA, the state constitution of which does not have the "case and controversy" clause that Article III does. That clause as been interpreted by the Supreme Court as laying down a law school case book or two worth of restrictions on federal courts' ability to hear cases. One of the many things it means is you need a person with a particulized injury to bring a case all the way up. No matter how blatantly unconstitutional a law is, for example a law requiring someone accused of a felony but not convicted to be tortured to death over the course of one month, the Supreme Court will not rule on it until all the many requirements it has laid out or meant. MA doesn't have such a requirement. Hence, for example, the legislature will occasionally ask the court whether a law it intends to pass is OK under the state constitution (the SJC's decisions are typically labeled "Opinion of the Justices", if any are that interested).

End result: unless Oklahoma is like MA, it seems fairly certain that one of a few things will have to happen in order for the Supreme Court to slap down this deliberately and obviously unconstitutional
law, ie, a doctor may have to perform the abortion, be convicted, pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring the case all the way up, and win. Years later. After the damage has already been done to untold numbers of women.

May everyone who supported this bill burn in hell for a while, at the very least.

Disclaimer: Not my area of law. This is based on memories from a "Federal Courts" class many years ago...
Meaning, in turn, that unless

I suspect the end result

A sad day for Oklahoma.

This is an area where some elements of the GOP are moronic. As one of my friends noted, the GOP has to become a party of economic liberty fighting the expansion of government in terms of knocking down tax rates, opposing gun bans etc while becoming AGNOSTIC on social issues. The people who only vote GOP because they are bible thumping control freaks only hurt that party in the long run. Abortion-like whom one marries-are issues that should not be subject to a vote.

Disgusting bollocks from Religious Extremists.

Hopefully gets overturned quickly before too much damage is done to the lives of Women in that state.

Can you imagine what a logistical nightmare that would be for healthcare professionals? Physician–patient privilege alone presents a dilemma which would basically require testimony from a woman who aborted.

This is GREAT news to hear. It SHOULD be against the law for women to kill their children. Great work Oklahoma :)

when one of you anti abortion extremists can tell us how society is better off jailing women who have abortions or making them appear before the Holy Inquisition if they Miscarry maybe I will listen to you. BTW if you really think abortion is contrary to God's law I have a GREAT IDEA

let GOD deal with violations of HIS laws in HIS kingdom and leave the damn religion out of man's world and Man's law

Damn this southern states legislators strike again. Next they need to make sure that you can't sell cakes to gays and transgenders can't use their choice of bathroom.

I thought someone who claims to be "Very conservative" would support such a silly law

If States are allowed to nullify Federal law by legalizing marijuana, the Oklahoma can make abortion illegal, because there's no federal law making abortion legal.

Actually Roe v Wade is a Federal ruling which prohibits states from making elective abortions before viability illegal.

Roe v Wade is a SC decision that held that state abortion laws violate the Due process clause in the fourteenth amendment,
which protects individuals against state action that infringes on their privacy.

An interesting law. It's not limiting the actions of the person that is pregnant but those who would be performing the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom