• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oklahoma lawmakers pass near-total ban on abortion

Spunkylama

Requested Profile Delete. Bye
Banned
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Lawmakers in Oklahoma have passed a bill that would impose a near-total ban on abortions in the state.
The bill would criminalise performing an abortion in almost all cases, except where it could "save the life of a pregnant woman in a medical emergency".
Medical professionals convicted under the laws face fines of up to $100,000 (£76,505) and 10 years in prison.
It comes as the US Supreme Court weighs a case that could overturn abortion rights across the US later this year.
Oklahoma's House of Representatives, in which Republicans hold a supermajority, voted to send the bill to the governor's office by 70 votes to 14.
The state's Governor Kevin Stitt will be presented with the bill for his approval. The Republican has already committed to signing into law any legislation that restricts abortion rights.

snip

Lawmakers in Oklahoma have passed a bill that would impose a near-total ban on abortions in the state.
The bill would criminalise performing an abortion in almost all cases, except where it could "save the life of a pregnant woman in a medical emergency".
Medical professionals convicted under the laws face fines of up to $100,000 (£76,505) and 10 years in prison.
It comes as the US Supreme Court weighs a case that could overturn abortion rights across the US later this year.
Oklahoma's House of Representatives, in which Republicans hold a supermajority, voted to send the bill to the governor's office by 70 votes to 14.
The state's Governor Kevin Stitt will be presented with the bill for his approval. The Republican has already committed to signing into law any legislation that restricts abortion rights.

snip
This can't be true.

I keep hearing repubs suppose the constitution.

It isn't just culture that has flown right passed Oklahoma . . . it is civilization and sanity.
Perhaps that's why they're often called flyover states.

I really don’t have a problem with the bill, if that is what a state wants except that the since the mother is murdering a child than she should be charged with murder along with the person performing the procedure.

WW

I really don’t have a problem with the bill, if that is what a state wants except that the since the mother is murdering a child than she should be charged with murder along with the person performing the procedure.

WW
Can we assume that you are volunteering to help raise and financially support all those unwanted children?

This will (eventually) reach the SCOTUS and they know it.

So far only what, two abortion bans have gone that far? Louisiana and Mississippi. The Texas law was not heard by the SCOTUS. Until further notice, I never expect abortion bans to make it to the top of the judicial system.

So far only what, two abortion bans have gone that far? Louisiana and Mississippi. The Texas law was not heard by the SCOTUS. Until further notice, I never expect abortion bans to make it to the top of the judicial system.

You seem to contradict yourself. BTW, neither the Louisiana nor Mississippi abortion laws banned abortion.

Can we assume that you are volunteering to help raise and financially support all those unwanted children?

That would be up to the State of Oklahoma.

My not agreeing with the law is based on:
  • A wife hires a contract killer to kill her husband - she is charged with murder.
  • A Mother hires a contract killer to kill her teenage daughter - she is charged with murder.
  • A Mother hires a contract killer to kill her baby in the womb - she cannot be charged with murder.

WW

It isn't just culture that has flown right passed Oklahoma . . . it is civilization and sanity.
Perhaps that's why they're often called flyover states.
Can you imagine if you had an emergency flying from one blue state to another and were forced to land in Oklahoma, Alabama, Arkansas...

Would it be worth landing at all? I think not.
I'd rather take my chances.

That would be up to the State of Oklahoma.

My not agreeing with the law is based on:
  • A wife hires a contract killer to kill her husband - she is charged with murder.
  • A Mother hires a contract killer to kill her teenage daughter - she is charged with murder.
  • A Mother hires a contract killer to kill her baby in the womb - she cannot be charged with murder.

WW
Well you don't need a contract killer for that, just pop a pill or drink some herbal tea that will cause a miscarriage. Happens all the time. No woman can be forced to carry a pregnancy that she doesn't want.

Oklahomastan joining the rest of the Taliban states. Republicans whine about democrats and problems, at least they are addressing them, no pandering to Taliban scum. What are republicans in states passing? anti trans, anti gay laws, anti abortion, anti voting. And loser Republican base wants to blame democrats and claim "both sides". **** you

You can count all the children that have been adopted by GOP Presidents on one hand. If abortion becomes illegal it also has to become mandatory that GOP supporters adopt all the unwanted children. I got 100 bucks that says DeSantis or Cruz is never going to adopt a crack baby. Anyone want to take that bet? Exactly.

Can we assume your "humanitarian" policies of "free everything" to everyone (except the "rich" of course) - be it school, housing, food, healthcare, transportation, jobs, etc. don't extend to children?

Last edited:
Well you don't need a contract killer for that, just pop a pill or drink some herbal tea that will cause a miscarriage. Happens all the time.

The individual performing an abortion would be the contract killer.

An indivdiual prescribing the poison to murder the baby would be the contract killer.

Taking herbal teas specifically for abortion would still be an abortion through a chemically induced abortion. As such there wouldn't be a contract killer, but the woman should still be charged for the murder.

No woman can be forced to carry a pregnancy that she doesn't want.

Well in Oklahoma that is what they doing.

WW

Can we assume your "humanitarian" policies of "free everything" to everyone (except the "rich" of course) - be it school, housing, food, healthcare, transportation, jobs, etc. don't extend to children?
After they're born, sure.

The individual performing an abortion would be the contract killer.

An indivdiual prescribing the poison to murder the baby would be the contract killer.

Taking herbal teas specifically for abortion would still be an abortion through a chemically induced abortion. As such there wouldn't be a contract killer, but the woman should still be charged for the murder.

Well in Oklahoma that is what they doing.

WW
No it's not, they're trying to punish women. But that won't save any babies or stop any abortions. How can you stop someone from being in control of their own body? You can't, it's a fundamental ability we all share.

snip

Here's the actual text for those interested.

From my standpoint it will never pass muster in the courts if signed into law.

No it's not, they're trying to punish women. But that won't save any babies or stop any abortions. How can you stop someone from being in control of their own body? You can't, it's a fundamental ability we all share.

I haven't said anything about whether a State should or should not treat abortion as murder, I'm addressing how this law is written. Two different things.

If the State is going to treat abortion as murder, then I support the state treading the murderess as a murder.

That's a pretty consistent position.

WW

The Texas law does not count because the SCOTUS decided not to hear it.

The SCOTUS more often than not decides not to take cases and the cases which it does take often result in very narrow rulings.

snip
I am so glad I live in a FREE country where women are FREE to make their own reproductive choices without govt. interference.

The SCOTUS more often than not decides not to take cases and the cases which it does take often result in very narrow rulings.

Why would they expect a very narrow ruling with a 6-3 anti-abortion majority?

Back
Top Bottom