• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ok. Someone Explain the Women's Rights and Protests against Trump

Oh. By no means am I suggesting it is something that you should only rely upon. But to me it is that idea that the weak (physically) will have the ability to fight against the strong. I actually have a better example.

Take stand your ground law. If it is taken away in my state...you as a woman now have a duty to retreat. Is that ethically good? Yes. Morally? Sure. But what about when practically applied? Are you physically able to retreat? Is it a guarantee? Probably less so than if you are a young male in his 20s. This is something to consider when the topic comes up. And not all women are in agreement on most issues, including this one. I was just curious how you felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you're trying to say, but I really don't see that as a women's right's issue. That's a universal issue. The weak arming themselves against the strong is not gender specific. It never was.

I suppose it could be used as a talking point by NRA types. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I've seen some of their TV ads about this very thing. Some woman goes on and on about not allowing herself to be a victim ever again or some such...I'm not sure those ads are all that effective other than to cater to their loyal supporters.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I really don't see that as a women's right's issue. That's a universal issue. The weak arming themselves against the strong is not gender specific. It never was.

I suppose it could be used as a talking point by NRA types. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I've seen some of their TV ads about this very thing. Some woman goes on and on about not allowing herself to be a victim ever again or some such...I'm not sure those ads are all that effective other than to cater to their loyal supporters.

Well sure. Because the NRA is like any other large and established organization. It is tainted by "bias" regardless of whether or not the point is valid. But the topic itself does not exist in a vacuum. Personally? I feel the left hijacked the feminist movement and
did it a great disservice. And depoliticizing the issue and discussion on the topics themselves is the only way forward.

Women's groups reactions are based in part on:

1. Trump's stated position that abortion should be banned and women having abortions should be punished, though he is incredibly inarticulate about what the punishment should be. <Link>http://www.debatepolitics.com/

2. Trump's intention to nominate conservative judge likely to change the status quo on abortion.

3. The widespread calls by Trump supporters to defund Planned Parenthood, which is only partially about abortion.

4. Trump's treatment of women in his own life, including multiple divorces, trophy wives, and inappropriate and demeaning statement about women, including family members. He comes across as considering them as little more than sex objects to add to his collection.

I will say that Trump position on the LGQIBLT (I've given up) community is far in advance of many\most conservatives, so I'm not sure what they're griping about, apart from "standing in solidarity with women" and generally not liking Trump.

Consider too, what does Trump have on his side that should attract feminism? Doesn't seem like a lot.

I talked to my sister, who actually participated in one of those marches (Philly). The quoted post sums her views pretty well. Add to that, she lived & worked in Manhattan for 12 years and people there have experienced TRUMP, the man/brand. He's not highly regarded there, and that's based on his business dealings (read : character), not politics.

Some people would rather blame Hillary's loss as the reason for this women's march instead of seeing the march for what it was - it was women being proactively vocal letting our government know we will not sit back and allow our rights/freedoms to be stripped away.

1) Yea. Not sure about that one. Probably just talking points. We will see though.

True enough, but him stacking the court combined with the GOP wins in Congress makes that possibility as close as it's been in a long time. Even if it's unlikely to come about, many people read it as a big step backwards.

2) Of course he will nominate a conservative judge. But that won't just be about abortion. It will be about guns and so on too.

Probably more than one, even. And guns are to conservatives as abortion is to liberals. A big scary noise and little more. Neither is likely to happen.

Once he appoints them, justice can do whatever they like, with very little intervention from anyone, so if we get some that feel strongly, they'll make abortion an issue whenever they can.

3) I can see that one too. I could understand a restructure, but only based on things I've heard about it being ineffective and inefficient. Honestly? I don't know much about it.

Honesty is good. I don't either. Apparently it does more than abortion. Not sure what angle you're taking with the ineffective and inefficient. Hadn't heard that one yet. My concern is that his supporters are pretty extreme in their position against PP.

4) His treatment of women is interesting. I wouldn't bring up divorces as an issue though. We have a high divorce rate. That is hardly a reason to be upset at him. Especially given that the left is more likely to support that issue on a standalone topic.

He comes across as the worst combination of a rich frat boy and a sleazy longshoreman. He seems to treat women like ornaments. I obviously don't know, but that's how it looks superficially.

What does trump have on his side? Not sure. I did pose the question to another post: should a feminist be allowed to use a firearm to defend herself? The left hasn't really clarified that position. Which I always found odd. "My body, my choice" and all. You would think that slogan would go great paired with a glock.

People who would literally suggest anyone shouldn't defend themselves are silly as someone who's convinced the government is on their way to take their guns and throw them in jail. These are fringe positions.

That said, I think that ad would play. I tend to agree with the conservative position on guns.

The rally was to protect things like the rights to one's own body, the right (and yes, RIGHT) to equal pay, and to defend against the blatant misogyny exhibited by our new "president."

It will likely accomplish nothing, but it was nice to see a lot of people out there telling this bastard that he is not our president. He's not mine, and he never will be.
so you renounce your citizenship?

I think part of his appeal is that he doesn't really care what poeple think.

That's a lie. He cares so much about what people think, he spends more time in twitter wars than the average 13 year old.

So rather than defend the position...you would rather than just put up signs and claim "because he did this." Ok. That's fine. Just understand that by not doing so...your view has no impact, it stalls any productive discussion, and creates resistance rather than that forward moving discussion.

And yes. I get the sexism position. That is about the only thing I get. That trump made some negative comments. Is there nothing deeper than the stupid and sexist comments? Because that is a Crux of the topic here.

Others already addressed the policy grievances like equal pay, title ix. Forcing insurance to provide birth control is one i would add, but the real reason they would mobilize in such #s is an extremely sexist president and his threats against abortion.

The last kind of makes them look like fools to me. Roe v wade has survived hugely religious zealot presidents like Reagan and Bush II. It's not going anywhere. It doesn't really matter either. The # of actual abortions is plummeting due to easy access to pills that get the job done. But it's one of those highly divisive issues and women just don't like being told what to do with their body

Some people would rather blame Hillary's loss as the reason for this women's march instead of seeing the march for what it was - it was women being proactively vocal letting our government know we will not sit back and allow our rights/freedoms to be stripped away.

If i were in their position, i wouldn't want someone like Hillary representing me as the first female president anyway

May I ask, did these same women protest Bill Clinton (Mr. Misogynist, if it has two boobs, two legs and a heartbeat I will screw it, himself) when he was President, because he did a lot more than "grab *****"! Did they protest Hillary Clinton defending her husband's screwing around (and I would bet there are a lot who never made it to the news)? If they didn't then they are hypocrites.

Of course not.

bill.jpg

You told me I lied. Lying is purposfully saying something that you know to be untrue. How do I know it's untrue if I am not obsessed with Twitter?

You are incorrect. I described a statement you made:

I think part of his appeal is that he doesn't really care what poeple think.

That's a lie. He cares so much about what people think, he spends more time in twitter wars than the average 13 year old.

I didn't say that you are the one who lied. I think part of President Trump's image is that he wants to tell people that he doesn't care what other people think because he trolls the left. He obviously cares a great deal about what they think of him because he works so hard on his persona.

If he didn't care what people thought, he wouldn't meltdown so hard about SNL, Rosie O'Donnell, Meryl Streep, etc.

You are incorrect. I described a statement you made:
It wasn't a lie.

It's just the standard hyperbole I've come to expect from you.

I'll likely start speaking to you once you have some time to mature and learn how to be intellectually honest.

It wasn't a lie.

It's just the standard hyperbole I've come to expect from you.

I'll likely start speaking to you once you have some time to mature and learn how to be intellectually honest.

President Trump clearly cares a great deal about his image. That's why he plasters his name on his businesses. That's why he spends so much time defending himself.

No amount of flailing can change that.

A picture paints a thousand words. Trump signs anti-abortion executive order surrounded by middleaged men.

C24FtO4W8AAZW97.jpg:large

I keep seeing crap all over Facebook. (And I call it crap because it is basically just memes and protest signs. If you can't provide more context and justify your belief...conservative or otherwise it is crap) I don't seem to understand the issue. So I'm really wondering. Can someone explain how women are suffering from inequality? And what is it that is being protested? And why is trump the anti symbol? Is it the famous comment? The single comment?

Now. Understand before you weigh in here...I'm going to be questioning your views. If that offends you...please take your snowflake ass elsewhere.

They're protesting the fact that the leader of our country doesn't respect women, as evidenced by his actions and words. A man who is living proof that you can molest women and still rise to the highest office in the land.

A picture paints a thousand words. Trump signs anti-abortion executive order surrounded by middleaged men.

Like the latter matters as long as Reagan's Mexico City Policy is restored. **** Clinton and **** Obama for sending our tax dollars to the IPPF.

About the executive order... it comes into play anytime the GOP are in office, then gets reversed whenever the Dems get back in. It is a policy that has flip flopped constantly. I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that what Trump did is part of the GOP status quo.

The protests are about the attack on women's rights in America by the Republican party, the election of a President who openly has no respect for women, and it seemed to cross lines by becoming a general protest to let Trump know how many people consider him illegitimate.

I for one question the election result based on Russia's interference. If the CIA would just release their intel already. But they are bastards and love to jury rig our political system just as much as the Russians do.

Back
Top Bottom