• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OK, So What's the Excuse Now?

Ray410

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I live within 15 minutes of a Scheels in one direction and a Cabela's in the other. Plus a Sportsman's Warehouse, etc, etc.

It seems to me that a reasonable and sufficient amount of time has passed that popular calibers of hollow point handgun ammunition such as .380, 9mm, 357, etc., should be returning to the shelves. But the shelves are still empty, you can't even get .22 ammo. Some stuff comes in infrequently and expensively, but never hollow point.

The manufacturers and suppliers have had time to gear up and recover. Where are the reloading supplies, the ability to order a specific gun you want?

Enough time has passed that I'm beginning to wonder now if something much more insidious is going on, is this another "temporary" Obama situation that was always meant to be permanent?

Last edited:
I live within 15 minutes of a Scheels in one direction and a Cabela's in the other. Plus a Sportsman's Warehouse, etc, etc.

It seems to me that a reasonable and sufficient amount of time has passed that popular calipers of hollow point handgun ammunition such as .380, 9mm, etc., should be returning to the shelves. But the shelves are still empty, you can't even get .22 ammo. Some stuff comes in infrequently and expensively, but never hollow point.

The manufacturers and suppliers have had time to gear up and recover. Where are the reloading supplies, the ability to order a specific gun you want?

Enough time has passed that I'm beginning to wonder now if something much more insidious is going on, yet our elected representatives remain silent and docile. Am I wrong, just impatient?
You want to know the culprits, look to the Ammo Gangs that are buying up all of the ammo they can get their hands on and then jacking up the prices. But...things ARE getting better. Just check the scalped prices and you will see the prices for the private sales of ammo are coming down and even more telling, firing stock is up and all of those jackwagons that bought guns trying to turn a big profit are starting to dump them as fast as they can.

It wasnt too long ago out west you couldnt touch a brand name AR for under 2k. now...700-800 bucks. Thats still 300-400 over what it was...but it is getting better.

And BTW...once stock does come back in full...not a bad idea to stock up. My standard rule and what I have always taught my kids...if you are going to shoot 4 boxes buy 8 an store the 4. I've hardly made a dent in my own supply and I shoot regularly. The ammo crisis is one that gun owners pretty much created for themselves.

I think you will have a very bad 2013. 2014 is looking up for people in free states though. Here in lies the rub - California.

In California the politicos are about to engage the following laws against the criminals - you know the gangs - oh I mean the Christian Republican Gun owners (same thing to liberals right) sarcasm intended.

1) A 10 cent per round tax. No big deal when I buy a box of 338 Lapua but $500 on a case of 22LR. OUCH
2) A $50 mandatory registration / license just to be able to be checked out every time you buy ammo (good for 2 - 3 years - they are still debating cause "thats important") more sarcasm
3) A background check on all ammo purchases.
4) A complete ban on mail order ammo (I'll bet the gun shops are actually promoting this one)
5) A required local police notifcation if you buy too much ammo at one time - reportly over 499 rounds - got a brick of 22LR?

These are things that will likely hit the governors desk by Friday I understand. I don't think he'll go for all of them, Moonbeam has actually been more pro gun then Arnold ever was but its his party promoting this crap. The own the majorities in the legislature (assembly and senate).

With these things looming - CA gun owners are seriously stocking up. That is 10% of all gun owners you realize. They are thirsty, hungry and driving our prices and supplies for ammo to ridiculous levels and since most of these wonderful gang suppression violence ending (more sarcasm) bills don't go into effect till Jan. 1, 2014 I think the issue of "ammo supply" will continue to be problematic for another 3-4 months. After that 10% of the market is relatively DEAD and the flood should drive prices down for the rest of us pretty good.

I was at Murphy's on Monday and all that was on the shelf was 9mm, .223 and and shot shells. .22lr was $20 for a box of 50.

You will never see low prices again.
Shooting on a regular basis, unless you reload, is a dead hobby to most.
We used to have to wait for a shooting lane at our ranges, now they are ghost towns. The county owned one will close if it continues.
Reloading is getting hard because I know people that dont even have a press that are buying up primers and powder at cases at a time.
I know how I store my ammo, so I know it will last almost forever. But some idiot that goes and buys 50K rounds because he can and leaves it in his hot garage for a few years.
Not someone I want to have to buy from.

Totally disagree. We had spikes in ammo prices when obasma got elected, it was spiking before his re election and then enormous spikes after Newtown due to anti movements. If CA goes through with its crimes against legitimate gun owners there will be 10% of the gun owning population buying a lot less - that will create a glut on the market very quickly and you'll see prices return to normal - probably next March/April.

You will never see low prices again.
Shooting on a regular basis, unless you reload, is a dead hobby to most.
We used to have to wait for a shooting lane at our ranges, now they are ghost towns. The county owned one will close if it continues.
Reloading is getting hard because I know people that dont even have a press that are buying up primers and powder at cases at a time.
I know how I store my ammo, so I know it will last almost forever. But some idiot that goes and buys 50K rounds because he can and leaves it in his hot garage for a few years.
Not someone I want to have to buy from.

Totally disagree. We had spikes in ammo prices when obasma got elected, it was spiking before his re election and then enormous spikes after Newtown due to anti movements. If CA goes through with its crimes against legitimate gun owners there will be 10% of the gun owning population buying a lot less - that will create a glut on the market very quickly and you'll see prices return to normal - probably next March/April.
The G can always put in another ginormus order of a few billion rounds to make up the shortfall that may end up in gun owners hands.

It seems to me that a reasonable and sufficient amount of time has passed that popular calibers of hollow point handgun ammunition such as .380, 9mm, 357, etc., should be returning to the shelves. But the shelves are still empty, you can't even get .22 ammo. Some stuff comes in infrequently and expensively, but never hollow point.

Enough time has passed that I'm beginning to wonder now if something much more insidious is going on, is this another "temporary" Obama situation that was always meant to be permanent?

Supply and Demand, by playing into paranoia and some handy, although illegal, colaberation ammo producers can ratchet up demand by making people think that the end will soon come for their ammo and then drop supply to save on production cost. The combined effect is to dramatically increase the price of ammo and ever increase their profit.

At least that's what I think is happening, I don't have any proof whatsoever so I'll call that a theory. But under normal market conditions producers would just make more to keep up with demand and prices would stay fairly stable.

Everything but 22LR and 380 ACP has been on the shelves here. Blame the hoarders who are only in it to gouge prices.

Back
Top Bottom