• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

ok, I will.

F

FallingPianos

Hi! :2wave:

I've been around a few days now, so I guess some of you already know me a bit.

I just came here from a conservative political forum. I'm not really conservative, but I dont consider myself liberal either. I left because over there, if your less than a die-hard conservative, you're a flaming liberal troll. so, its nice finding a forum that isnt for discussing only one side.

things that get on my nerves:

attacking the person instead of the issue

attacking a group of people instead of the ideology or issue.

intentionally misrepresenting the opposing view

dismissing an argument as sophistry without providing a counter argument that explains how its sophistry

using excessively flowery language and hyperbole

nit-picking semantics when the meaning is perfectly clear (though I tend to do it alot. just slap me whenever I do)

confusing facts with opinions

confusing correlation with causation

accusing the opponent of lying. most of the time such accusations are made, the opponent had no intention of lying, and was unaware of the factual inaccuracies with their argument, or unaware of the inconsistency of their argument. in such cases, accusations of lying serve only to degrade a debate into flame throwing. on the rare cases that an opponant is intentionally dishonest, its best just to end the debate there.

hypocrisy

and the biggest one is people who care about being right more than about learning the truth.

what I like seeing:

arguments devoid of logical fallacies

analogies that actually make sense

arguments that are consistent when taken to their full conclusion

and what I like seeing most is people who actually try to understand their opponants view, even though they disagree

so yeah... hi. :mrgreen:

Hello, star2589!:2wave:

welcomeblue2.gif

star2589 said:
Hi! :2wave:

I've been around a few days now, so I guess some of you already know me a bit.

I just came here from a conservative political forum. I'm not really conservative, but I dont consider myself liberal either. I left because over there, if your less than a die-hard conservative, you're a flaming liberal troll. so, its nice finding a forum that isnt for discussing only one side.

By any chance, was it US Message Board?

You have come to the right place. You will get what you are looking for. Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!:2wave:

intentionally misrepresenting the opposing view
I get that one a lot, though usually its unintentional, they are just ignorant of what it is, and have never bothered looking at what it is, and then just dismiss it as utopian and statist.

Comrade Brian said:
Hello and Welcome!:2wave:

I get that one a lot, though usually its unintentional, they are just ignorant of what it is, and have never bothered looking at what it is, and then just dismiss it as utopian and statist.

oh, yeah, happens all the time. but that never bothers me because I can simply clarify my argument, or clarify what "my side" tends to believe in general.

but people who purposefully misrepresent their opponant have no interest in finding the truth or in having a fair debate. their main interest is in trying to look smart, and in being right.

welcbnr.gif

:tink:~Tashah~

Welcome to DP, star! :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom