• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OK Cupid blog - showing the dataset about Homosexuals

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Gay Sex vs. Straight Sex « OkTrends

I will post the highlights

Match Search Returns
  • only 0.6% of gay men have ever searched for straight matches.
  • only 0.1% of lesbians have ever searched for straight matches.
  • only 0.13% of straight people's profile visitors are gay.
Furthermore
In our dataset, there was not a single gay user, male or female, who primarily searched for straight people.

Median Reported Sex Partners

• straight men: 6
  • gay men: 6
  • straight women: 6
  • gay women: 6

SexPartnersAll.png

• 45% of gay people have had 5 or fewer partners (vs. 44% for straights)
  • 98% of gay people have had 20 or fewer partners (vs. 99% for straights)

SameSex.png

You may, of course, draw your own conclusions

OK Cupid works for the gay mafia!

:2razz:

That and the data blows a hole in a few gay stereotypes. Such as the one where male gays sleep around. Also, 28% are either gay, bi-sexual, or bi-curious according, which is a much higher number than I suspected.

45% of gay people have had 5 or fewer partners (vs. 44% for straights)
98% of gay people have had 20 or fewer partners (vs. 99% for straights)

I have to think these are dated facts. Thirty years ago, these numbers wouldn't even be close.

Anecdotally, pretty much every gay man on this board has admitted to more sexual partners than even the sluttiest straight people. Hell, even conservative jallman has his share of tail.

I have to think these are dated facts. Thirty years ago, these numbers wouldn't even be close.

Anecdotally, pretty much every gay man on this board has admitted to more sexual partners than even the sluttiest straight people. Hell, even conservative jallman has his share of tail.

The article is dated Oct 12 and the website hasn't been around for a large number of years. Even if they had a month to run their queries and analyze the data (or even a year), the data is likely still pretty current.

Really? I can still count the number of sexual partners I have had on one hand.

Who here do you know is gay?

Last edited:
Really? I can still count the number of sexual partners I have had on one hand.

Who here do you know is gay?

Man, you left yourself open for a masterbation joke right there.

That's pretty true with the exception of Crit. I believe Alex, who is probably just as or more conservative than I am, by the way, has argued that gay men are more promiscuous. Lesbians, on the whole, are far less promiscuous and probably account for bringing the numbers down if they were lumped in with gay men. I think you also have a specialized data set there in that gays on that site are probably relationship oriented to start with and so, their lean is going to be more toward monogamy.

Just some thoughts.

That's pretty true with the exception of Crit. I believe Alex, who is probably just as or more conservative than I am, by the way, has argued that gay men are more promiscuous. Lesbians, on the whole, are far less promiscuous and probably account for bringing the numbers down if they were lumped in with gay men. I think you also have a specialized data set there in that gays on that site are probably relationship oriented to start with and so, their lean is going to be more toward monogamy.

Just some thoughts.

Pretty fair assessment there Jallman!

Tim-

Only 1% or so of people have had more than 20 partners? I never would have guessed.

What was the age group?

Just some thoughts.

This is actually a very good point. But I wonder what the differing numbers would be for those both gay and straight that do not seek a relationship. Obviously its not going to come from a dating website, so I wonder where that data would be ...

This is actually a very good point. But I wonder what the differing numbers would be for those both gay and straight that do not seek a relationship.

Incredibly skewed. The only reason gay men are more promiscuous than straight men is because of the available pool. If straight women were as horny as the average man, straight or gay, the numbers would probably be identical, maybe even tilting toward the straight men.

Ahh yes.

The data comes from people who're using a dating site.
Is there evidence that this subset is reasonably representative of the larger population?

Ahh yes.

The data comes from people who're using a dating site.
Is there evidence that this subset is reasonably representative of the larger population?

Just out of curiosity, how come a lot of conservatives are concerned about population representativeness when it comes to positive things statistics may say about gay people, but that disappears when they start using statistics about whether homosexuals have lower life expectancy or have weak relationships and other such things? Not accusing you, but I just find it strange after debating so many on this forum.

Wait. Why do we care about the number of sexual partners people have?

Just out of curiosity, how come a lot of conservatives are concerned about population representativeness when it comes to positive things statistics may say about gay people, but that disappears when they start using statistics about whether homosexuals have lower life expectancy or have weak relationships and other such things? Not accusing you, but I just find it strange after debating so many on this forum.
I really wasn't at all concerned about homosexuals so much as I was surprised at how few people had had 20 sexual partners.
That's really all the more I care to say on that particular subject. :3oops:

SameSex.png

You may, of course, draw your own conclusions

I find that pie chart pretty much impossible to believe. I find it highly improbable that anything like 28% of the general public has had/wishes to have a same-sex encounter.

28% of their dataset maybe. 28% of the general public, no way.

I find that pie chart pretty much impossible to believe. I find it highly improbable that anything like 28% of the general public has had/wishes to have a same-sex encounter.

28% of their dataset maybe. 28% of the general public, no way.

Their dataset is probably more sexually curious, given that they're all single (for the most part), and haven't been married for 20 years. Further, i think their data skews young, and younger people are much more flexible sexually speaking than people over 40.

Back
Top Bottom