• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

OK Can Now Seize Money From Prepaid Debit Cards, Without Filing Criminal Charges

Sure they do, if you have a bag of white power on your seat when the cops pull you over they can certainly seize it til they determine if it's drugs or not. I don't see any difference if the bag contains hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You don't see a difference between a substance that by it's very nature is suspected to be illegal and a substance that is perfectly legal in every respect?

Wow.

Now wonder we live in a nanny state with "safe places".

You people are afraid of your own shadows.

Sorry. What it IS and what it should be are two different things. And even civil trials saddle the plaintiff with the burden of proof.

Not exactly, all the cops have to say is that the seized the money on suspicion of it being gained from illegal activities and if the defendant has no explanation for the cash then the 51% standard obviously goes to the plaintiff. If the money is legally gained there needs to be a legal remedy for getting it back within 24 hours if you can show sufficient proof it didn't come from illegal means.

You don't see a difference between a substance that by it's very nature is suspected to be illegal and a substance that is perfectly legal in every respect?

Wow.

Now wonder we live in a nanny state with "safe places".

You people are afraid of your own shadows.

White power is not by its nature illegal.

It really boggles the mind. How this crap hasn't produced an explosion in public fury I don't understand.
The concepts of "well it helps the cops! they can take cars and trucks and money away from drug smugglers and the like." People have a hard time thinking something like this would be abused right up until it happens to them or a friend.
This, IMO, is why it hasn't been a public issue until recently. It's been relatively small scale until recent years. No one ever had it happen to them or people they know, so they just assumed it was legit. They were willing to look the other way as long as the end result was noble.

Problem is, it isn't noble. It's corrupt, and it goes against everything that the Constitution is supposed to be about. It's only becoming an issue now because it's growing and it IS happening to more and more innocent people. "OMG, it really CAN happen to me!"

This is the exact kind of thing the 'law and order' people will defend and have no problem with, but then in the next breath those same people will complain the government is getting too big and the US is turning into a police state.

I don't get it.
This!!! The same people who claim the government is corrupt and/or inept somehow also feel that LE... which is part of the government... is somehow noble and pure and supremely competent.

The complete and total disconnect boggles the brain cells.

White power is not by its nature illegal.

I didn't say that white powder was illegal, I said that white powder that is suspected to be an illegal substance can be seized.

If you've got a bag of Gold Medal flour in the car with you the police aren't going to suspect that it's a drug, same if you've got a jar of Johnson's Baby Powder.

The police have to have a reasonable, articulable, suspicion that the powder is actually a drug before they can, or will even bother to, legally seize it.

I know that cops, as a breed, aren't necessarially the sharpest tools in the shed (though neither are they necessarially the dullest) but they are trained to identify illegal drugs and they're going to know what an illegal drug looks like, what it smells like, how it is typically packaged, they'll probably conduct some sort of on-the-spot chemical testing of the substance, and all of that.

When they seize it they're going to write a report articulating exactly why they suspected that the substance was an illegal drug.

With cash money they can't possibly articulate a reasonable suspicion that it is the proceeds of some illegal activity.

What are they going to put in their report?

"Well, the guy had $20,000 in cash in a brown paper bag on the seat next to him and he refused to sufficiently explain to me, to my satisfaction, where he got that money, so it's probably drug money."

That's just stupid.

What if the guy got that money from legally selling a couple of custom Ed Brown 1911s and he just doesn't want to tell the government that he sold some guns?

There's nothing at all illegal with what the guy did, they were his guns, he sold them in a face to face transaction, he didn't have any reason to believe that the purchaser was legally prohibited from owning firearms, it isn't any of the government's business, the guy certainly has good reason to not what to share his gun ownership history with the government that we've got.

Your opinion is that it's perfectly legal for the government to seize that guy's money.

What if it isn't money but instead valuable goods that the guy doesn't have a receipt for?

Say that the same guy is on his way to sell some stuff, or say that the guy is in the process of moving and doesn't want to ship his high dollar value property, and the cops pull him over and find that he's got a couple of custom handguns, a couple of tricked out AR15s, a collection of Rolex watches, a high end Alienware laptop computer, a 2 carat diamond pinky ring, and some other fancy stuff.

Easily $100,000 worth of property.

It's certainly possible that the guy is thief and stole all of this stuff.

It's also perfectly possible that the guy actually owns all of the stuff and just doesn't hoard receipts for every purchase he makes.

Since the possibility exists that the property was stolen, and the guy can't establish at the scene that he is the lawful owner of the property, by your logic the cops, absent any reasonable, articulable suspicion that a crime actually occurred should be able to seize his property on the mere suspicion that some crime may possibly have occured.

Take it a step further in to the absurd (though it wouldn't surprise me to hear that the government does some absurd stuff).

Say you've got your kids in the car with you, twin infants.

Maybe they're your kids.

Maybe they're a couple of kids that you've kidnapped.

I don't know about you but I don't go around carrying my children's birth certificates.

Should the cops be able to seize your children if you can't demonstrate, to the government's satisfaction, that they're actually your children?

Last edited:
Oklahoma Cops Can Now Seize Money From Prepaid Debit Cards, Without Filing Criminal Charges

Oklahoma Cops Can Now Seize Money From Prepaid Debit Cards

As wrong as it gets!

See now THIS is something the ACLU ought to take up...the whole IDEA of forfeiture without a conviction. SCOTUS needs to take this up. I wonder why that hasn't happened.

Ditto!

It really boggles the mind. How this crap hasn't produced an explosion in public fury I don't understand.

It's all about apathy. Not unlike those who would vote for Hillary and don't care what she ....is or has done!

Or those that don't vote at all.

The concepts of "well it helps the cops! they can take cars and trucks and money away from drug smugglers and the like." People have a hard time thinking something like this would be abused right up until it happens to them or a friend.

I have no problem with slamming drug dealers hard, or even executing the real hard core types who sell their poison to kids, but only through due process.

Many times money is the only way to punish drug dealers. If you have $100,000 cash on you and it was earned legitimately it should be easy to prove that it's yours. Remember this is a civil matter so innocent till proven guilty is not part of the process.

I never carry that kind of cash with me.......and if I did, I could not prove it was mine, other than I am in possession of it.

It's all about apathy. Not unlike those who would vote for Hillary and don't care what she ....is or has done!

:) Sorry, but Trump fans don't get too critique Hillary fans for that anymore than Senator Warren gets to advise others of cultural appropriation. ;)

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

:) Sorry, but Trump fans don't get too critique Hillary fans for that anymore than Senator Warren gets to advise others of cultural appropriation. ;)

Anyone....can critique that bitch!

I don't have a problem with this and long as the legal remedy for getting legally earned cash back is quick and easy.

It is neither. In many cases people don't even bother because the costs of getting your property back exceed the value of the property

Many times money is the only way to punish drug dealers. If you have $100,000 cash on you and it was earned legitimately it should be easy to prove that it's yours. Remember this is a civil matter so innocent till proven guilty is not part of the process.

You don't have to prove your innocence. The government has to prove your guilt. Your position turns the entire foundation of our legal system in its head.

And in fact it's a thinly disguised criminal matter since the action is taken is response to an alleged - and sometimes not even alleged - criminal violation. In short it's complete horse****.

Anyone....can critique that bitch!
Not so long as you accept the same faults in others whom you support.

Back
Top Bottom