• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oil spill gets partisan

jujuman13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Link
Oil spill visits get partisan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

Quote(Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) wanted to fly 10 lawmakers down to the Gulf of Mexico to see the damage caused by BP’s gigantic oil spill first hand.
House Democrats said no.)

I am not ashamed of my Country, however I am deeply ashamed of the Representatives my Country has elected to serve us.

Why these 'Clowns' cannot get their act together is beyond my understanding.

The answer with regards to who goes to see what in matters such as these is so patently obvious.

An equal number from each party should go.

President candidate Obama PROMISED us Transparency, like most of his other promises, his words were merely oily utterances in order to get electoral votes.

I bring Obama into this discussion because he is supposedly a senior Democratic Party functionary.

Link
Oil spill visits get partisan - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

Quote(Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) wanted to fly 10 lawmakers down to the Gulf of Mexico to see the damage caused by BP’s gigantic oil spill first hand.
House Democrats said no.)

I am not ashamed of my Country, however I am deeply ashamed of the Representatives my Country has elected to serve us.

Why these 'Clowns' cannot get their act together is beyond my understanding.

The answer with regards to who goes to see what in matters such as these is so patently obvious.

An equal number from each party should go.

President candidate Obama PROMISED us Transparency, like most of his other promises, his words were merely oily utterances in order to get electoral votes.

I bring Obama into this discussion because he is supposedly a senior Democratic Party functionary.

"gets" partisan? i thought that happened when the idiot barton apologized to BP on the house floor for the "shakedown". it seems to me this is a non-issue, because of this:

And he doesn't want to do it through a committee, because the members don't fit neatly into specific panels — they stretch across committee, and even partisan, lines.

Last edited:
From the OP article said:
Republicans, however, say Rep. Bob Brady (D-Pa.), who chairs the committee, has approved at least a dozen such trips in 2009 alone – something Democrats don’t deny.

So it's okay for Democrats but not Republicans is what I'm hearing. Can we all just agree that the "transparency" claims by Obama's team then and now, were a huge load of steaming horse ****? The issue is, we don't want people in Congress to start calling folks from the Obama administration up to Capital Hill asking questions --- or if they do, they'll have to travel to the region on their own dime. So - travel on your own dime guys... stop squabbling and go if it's important enough. Then give the big 'ol bird to Pelosi's Chief of Staff and for that matter, Pelosi too.

So it's okay for Democrats but not Republicans is what I'm hearing. Can we all just agree that the "transparency" claims by Obama's team then and now, were a huge load of steaming horse ****? The issue is, we don't want people in Congress to start calling folks from the Obama administration up to Capital Hill asking questions --- or if they do, they'll have to travel to the region on their own dime. So - travel on your own dime guys... stop squabbling and go if it's important enough. Then give the big 'ol bird to Pelosi's Chief of Staff and for that matter, Pelosi too.

Works for me. How someone making six figures can complain about not being allowed to go somewhere is beyond me. Buy a plane ticket and quit whining.

Not entirely certain, but if I am wrong i daresay someone will redress my statement.
I believe that anyone wishing to overfly the Gulf during this current emergency, has to have permission to do so.

I think it would be good for the Rep. party to just go and use their own money. They wouldn't have to do a fly over, just talk to the people who are living this disaster and show their support. The VP went and did a photo op but didn't impress anyone there.

Not entirely certain, but if I am wrong i daresay someone will redress my statement.
I believe that anyone wishing to overfly the Gulf during this current emergency, has to have permission to do so.

Just checked, there is in fact a temporary flight restriction (TFR) up for the spill area, surface to 3000 feet.
0/9105 NOTAM Details
(I love how the FAA releases that info in ALL CAPS WITHOUT PARAGRAPHS so that they can make it as hard to read as possible)
You can call for permission to enter the restricted area, and I can't imagine that the FAA guys would refuse a congressman access.

Just checked, there is in fact a temporary flight restriction (TFR) up for the spill area, surface to 3000 feet.
0/9105 NOTAM Details
(I love how the FAA releases that info in ALL CAPS WITHOUT PARAGRAPHS so that they can make it as hard to read as possible)
You can call for permission to enter the restricted area, and I can't imagine that the FAA guys would refuse a congressman access.

So Congress members will have to invest in a $10 pair of rubber boots and maybe a pair of gloves and get a little dirty. Somehow I don't think that'll happen though. What a shame.

Back
Top Bottom