• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oil Production and Oil Pricing is a National Security Concern

RealityNow

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

I say Congress should crack down on Oil Companies...Everyone with a principled and logical mind, know the Oil Companies are price fixing, by many means, including not drilling on the land leases they have, to keep the supply low so they can fix the pricing.

Oil Companies push some 'BULLSHIT" claiming they have to protect "Investor Profits". Fact is, we better rethink that. Because, Investors should know Investing was never designed for Making a Kings Ranson, based on a stock ticker trying to break a record every day.
  • Investing is about "the stability of a company, or Industry, and the long term performance that yeilds gains over time". It never should have become a "get rich quick game"!

I think "Oil" is a National Security Commodity, and it is based on "Natural Resources".
  • These Companies should fall under a NATIONAL Legislated Policy, that regulates "Production" and "Pricing". NOT... based on "greedy investors".
  • "We need better structured regulations' where Oil companies "cannot", strangle the Nation and its Citizens, for the sake of "windfall profit gouging'.

American tax payers have given Oil Companies $Trillion of Dollars of many decades. That is money from the people of this nation, which there should have been Legislated Price Controls, decades ago!!!
The same principle applies to "Prescription Medications' where $Trillions of U.S. Taxpayer money has gone into the Research and Development of Drugs, there should have been Legislated Price Controls, decades ago.

Hopefully, this debacle... pushes and force Congress to enact Legislation that respect nation and persons, and the national security of this nation. And stop pandering to the "get rich schemes of core industries that are at the heart of National Security".

I say Congress should crack down on Oil Companies...Everyone with a principled and logical mind, know the Oil Companies are price fixing, by many means, including not drilling on the land leases they have, to keep the supply low so they can fix the pricing.

Oil Companies push some 'BULLSHIT" claiming they have to protect "Investor Profits". Fact is, we better rethink that. Because, Investors should know Investing was never designed for Making a Kings Ranson, based on a stock ticker trying to break a record every day.
  • Investing is about "the stability of a company, or Industry, and the long term performance that yeilds gains over time". It never should have become a "get rich quick game"!

I think "Oil" is a National Security Commodity, and it is based on "Natural Resources".
  • These Companies should fall under a NATIONAL Legislated Policy, that regulates "Production" and "Pricing". NOT... based on "greedy investors".
  • "We need better structured regulations' where Oil companies "cannot", strangle the Nation and its Citizens, for the sake of "windfall profit gouging'.

American tax payers have given Oil Companies $Trillion of Dollars of many decades. That is money from the people of this nation, which there should have been Legislated Price Controls, decades ago!!!
The same principle applies to "Prescription Medications' where $Trillions of U.S. Taxpayer money has gone into the Research and Development of Drugs, there should have been Legislated Price Controls, decades ago.

Hopefully, this debacle... pushes and force Congress to enact Legislation that respect nation and persons, and the national security of this nation. And stop pandering to the "get rich schemes of core industries that are at the heart of National Security".
Full on nationalization of the oil industry is the only way to go.

I'm glad you said it !!!!!

Oil Companies should work for "The Government".... Under Contract Terms, and that will remove the game playing that these companies have done upon and against this nation for decades.
Any and All "Imported Oil" should be "Bought By The Government", NOT by Independent Private Oil Companies. It should be "Government That Negotiate" Pricing of Internationally Imported Oil.
Refineries should also fall "directly in the same category" they should work for"The Government",
Under Contract Terms!!!!

Then we'd not have Refineries, shuttered or limited building of New Refineries. The Government could have decades Ago, Built Refineries in States to any Volume and Number that best serves the Nation and Society, for less money than we have given to Oil Companies in Subsidies

The main reason we have not done this is: Because we have "a massively under-educated society" that has "a very limited knowledge base" as well in some categories of persons, a mass volume of people who are "void of the mental acquity to be critical thinkers'.

Last edited:
Forcing companies to increase oil production at a cost that can't be recovered as production drops, which is inevitable, is not practicable. Unless the US govt is willing to subsidize that and understands the shift to renewables will be pushed back. Even BP is shifting to renewables.

Forcing companies to increase oil production at a cost that can't be recovered as production drops, which is inevitable, is not practicable. Unless the US govt is willing to subsidize that and understands the shift to renewables will be pushed back. Even BP is shifting to renewables.
You missed the entire core point of the OP.

You are talking about "Profits" and I'm talking about "NATIONAL SECURITY".

National Security is more important than private companies gouging for excessive profits.

Last edited:
That will never happen until we have real campaign finance reform, overturning the Citizens United decision. It's unrealistic to expect legislators to vote against the interests of the people who put them in office. From their perspective, that is who their real constituency is. They serve the money that puts them in office.

Oil Companies should work for "The Government".... Under Contract Terms, and that will remove the game playing that these companies have done upon and against this nation for decades.
Any and All "Imported Oil" should be "Bought By The Government", NOT by Independent Private Oil Companies. It should be "Government That Negotiate" Pricing of Internationally Imported Oil.
Refineries should also fall "directly in the same category" they should work for"The Government",
Under Contract Terms!!!!

Then we'd not have Refineries, shuttered or limited building of New Refineries. The Government could have decades Ago, Built Refineries in States to any Volume and Number that best serves the Nation and Society, for less money than we have given to Oil Companies in Subsidies

The main reason we have not done this is: Because we have "a massively under-educated society" that has "a very limited knowledge base" as well in some categories of persons, a mass volume of people who are "void of the mental acquity to be critical thinkers'.
This black on black text is impossible for me to read. Could you re-post it with a different color?

That will never happen until we have real campaign finance reform, overturning the Citizens United decision. It's unrealistic to expect legislators to vote against the interests of the people who put them in office. From their perspective, that is who their real constituency is. They serve the money that puts them in office.
We need a BETTER Educated Society, in Civics of what is Representative Democracy, and understanding that "WE The People" does not include "what is a Corporate/Business Entity. A Corporate/ Business Entity falls under the Commercial/Industrial Segment-Sector of "Bureau of Economic and Business Affairs".

We Need!!! FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL CAMPAIGN FINANCING FOR ANY OFFICE THAT IS FILLED BY ELECTED PERSON.
We Need!!! BETTER EDUCATED POLITICIANS.
We Need!!! MANDATED CRITERIA TO INCLUDE 3-5 YEARS OF PUBLIC SERVICES BACKGROUND BEFORE ANY POTENTIAL CANIDIDATE CAN RECEIVE PUBLIC CAMPAIGN FUNDS.
We Need!!! FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL CAMPAIGN FINANCING FOR ANY OFFICE THAT IS FILLED BY ELECTED PERSON.
We Need!!! SWIFT AND DECISIVE REMOVAL FROM OFFICE OF ANY POLITICIAN WHO PUSHES BILLS FOR LEGISLATION DESIGNED AND CREATED BY LOBBYIST AND CORPORATE ENTITIES.
  • If Any Corporation has concerns or interest of what ever type, they submit that to the Congressional Office of to be routed to the committee that has oversight of the concern or interest.
  • If it is not done by that means, then it is not heard!!!
  • Any individual politician who tries to bring any such concern and interest that has been prepared by a Corporate Entity/Lobbyist, then that individual politician, will be subject to "recall" for Malfeasance in Office, and penalty should include lifetime ineligibility for Public Office.

what does that mean?
Your font color for most of post #3 is almost the same as my background color. It would help me to read it if you C&P it to another post, and changed the font color.

Your font color for most of post #3 is almost the same as my background color. It would help me to read it if you C&P it to another post, and changed the font color.
quote from post #3

Refineries should also fall "directly in the same category" they should work for"The Government", Under Contract Terms!!!!

end quote

quote from post #3

Refineries should also fall "directly in the same category" they should work for"The Government", Under Contract Terms!!!!

end quote
Thanks

The USA should never do any business with any of our enemies ................

You missed the entire core point of the OP.

You are talking about "Profits" and I'm talking about "NATIONAL SECURITY".

National Security is more important than private companies gouging for excessive profits.

I didn't miss anything, Reality. YOU are the one that's focusing on profits as if they shouldn't be allowed due to price fixing you can't prove. I'm pointing out that to force the oil industry to increase production at their own cost and at the risk of not covering those cost, let alone make a profit, can't be done successfully.

The national security concern is our dependence on oil. Not that we need more of it. The need is to move away from oil to renewables, not increase production of domestic oil. The fact is, US domestic oil production IS increasing at very near the same rate as was before, being the highest since the mid-70s, and since 2011 the highest rate of production in history, but for the Great Recession and pandemic drops. It's the global oil market that sets the price, not US oil production.

I didn't miss anything, Reality. YOU are the one that's focusing on profits as if they shouldn't be allowed due to price fixing you can't prove. I'm pointing out that to force the oil industry to increase production at their own cost and at the risk of not covering those cost, let alone make a profit, can't be done successfully.

The national security concern is our dependence on oil. Not that we need more of it. The need is to move away from oil to renewables, not increase production of domestic oil. The fact is, US domestic oil production IS increasing at very near the same rate as was before, being the highest since the mid-70s, and since 2011 the highest rate of production in history, but for the Great Recession and pandemic drops. It's the global oil market that sets the price, not US oil production.
The point is about National Security, National Security involves general society economic health, not whether Oil Companies make a windfall profit for investors.

Yes, we need more development of Renewable Energy, but we know that's not happening overnight. The work is ongoing to create those energy sources.
I don't think for a minute it would be easy to have Oil Production be a Government function, but it certainly is a possibility. whether its near or far in possible terms, it is a possibility. I think it should have been done decades ago.... The Government has increased its investment in Renewable Energy.

How Much Does the Federal Government Support the Development and Production of Fuels and Energy Technologies?

1648212924423.png

When Is It Beneficial for the Government to Intervene in Energy Markets and What Are the Most Cost-Effective Methods?​

Generally, households and businesses do not have a financial incentive to take into account the environmental damage or other such “external” costs to the nation as a whole that are associated with their decisions about energy production and consumption. The federal government’s intervention in energy markets can be beneficial if it leads to a more efficient use of resources than would result from the outcomes in a purely private market.

end quote

When Enron tried to corral Energy Production and Distribution, that was another indicator that "Energy Production" should have been taken over by the government.
Those who remember the Oil situation in the 1970's surely understand the necessity of Oil in our day and times.
The 20 yrs of War showed the great transfer of wealth, that happen because of the Oil/Fuel required to conduct those wars.

I don 't think a great many people really grasp how much the government invest in certain things to keep this country functioning.

Remember: when Fannie and Freddy, bought all those mortgages backed securities from the Banks ? It should have created a means where people pay their payments to HUD's via creating a payment collection system via FHA, and yet we allowed banks to keep 'processing the payments for mortgages, that had already been transferred under Fannie and Freddie." The Fed's were loaning money to banks at "0%" and (Negative %), Banks racked up $Billions every 3 months in profits. Those profits could have gone into the Government Coffers,

Last edited:
The point is about National Security, National Security involves general society economic health, not whether Oil Companies make a windfall profit for investors.

Yes, we need more development of Renewable Energy, but we know that's not happening overnight. The work is ongoing to create those energy sources.
I don't think for a minute it would be easy to have Oil Production be a Government function, but it certainly is a possibility. whether its near or far in possible terms, it is a possibility. I think it should have been done decades ago.... The Government has increased its investment in Renewable Energy.

How Much Does the Federal Government Support the Development and Production of Fuels and Energy Technologies?

When Is It Beneficial for the Government to Intervene in Energy Markets and What Are the Most Cost-Effective Methods?​

Generally, households and businesses do not have a financial incentive to take into account the environmental damage or other such “external” costs to the nation as a whole that are associated with their decisions about energy production and consumption. The federal government’s intervention in energy markets can be beneficial if it leads to a more efficient use of resources than would result from the outcomes in a purely private market.

end quote

When Enron tried to corral Energy Production and Distribution, that was another indicator that "Energy Production" should have been taken over by the government.
Those who remember the Oil situation in the 1970's surely understand the necessity of Oil in our day and times.
The 20 yrs of War showed the great transfer of wealth, that happen because of the Oil/Fuel required to conduct those wars.

I don 't think a great many people really grasp how much the government invest in certain things to keep this country functioning.

Remember: when Fannie and Freddy, bought all those mortgages backed securities from the Banks ? It should have created a means where people pay their payments to HUD's via creating a payment collection system via FHA, and yet we allowed banks to keep 'processing the payments for mortgages, that had already been transferred under Fannie and Freddie." The Fed's were loaning money to banks at "0%" and (Negative %), Banks racked up $Billions every 3 months in profits. Those profits could have gone into the Government Coffers,

Yup. I take it then, you're not disagreeing with anything in my post, to be clear.

Do you have a link to the exhibit in your post? I'd appreciate it. Notice that after when the 27 1/2% oil depletion allowance was eliminated in 1975, fossil fuel subsidies went way up. What a coincidence.

Also, those banks called in a lot of loans, a high% minorities, that were given higher cost loans when they qualified for lower ones but couldn't continue to pay when things went bust. Hilarious. America.

Yup. I take it then, you're not disagreeing with anything in my post, to be clear.

Do you have a link to the exhibit in your post? I'd appreciate it. Notice that after when the 27 1/2% oil depletion allowance was eliminated in 1975, fossil fuel subsidies went way up. What a coincidence.

Also, those banks called in a lot of loans, a high% minorities, that were given higher cost loans when they qualified for lower ones but couldn't continue to pay when things went bust. Hilarious. America.
You said: Also, those banks called in a lot of loans, a high% minorities, that were given higher cost loans when they qualified for lower ones but couldn't continue to pay when things went bust. Hilarious. America.

-------------------

Actually, the Banks NEVER should have been able to call those loans, because Fannie and Freddie had already taken over the packaged loans from the Banks. Every one of those Loans should have been converted to "Fixed Rate Loans" the minute that Fannie and Freddie acquired them from the banks.
During the 2007-2009 crash, there were other things that were happening, such as: Black people who tried to file Bankruptcy were given Chapter 13, and many white property owners who filed Bankruptcy were allowed Refinancing or given Chapter 7. "that made a big difference" in out comers

Another thing is: when HAMP (Home Affordable Mortgage Program) dismissed the Second's on properties, many of those Mortgage companies after receiving the compensation and tax credit from HAMP to dismiss those Seconds, SOME (most) of the Mortgage Servicers turned around and sold those Second's to the "Scavenger Market", and the Scavengers still to this day, hound people trying to get them to pay for something the Government already paid something to the Deed Holders of those Seconds and Gave them Tax Write Off and Tax Credit, as compensation for writing off the Seconds.

You said: Also, those banks called in a lot of loans, a high% minorities, that were given higher cost loans when they qualified for lower ones but couldn't continue to pay when things went bust. Hilarious. America.

-------------------

Actually, the Banks NEVER should have been able to call those loans, because Fannie and Freddie had already taken over the packaged loans from the Banks. Every one of those Loans should have been converted to "Fixed Rate Loans" the minute that Fannie and Freddie acquired them from the banks.
During the 2007-2009 crash, there were other things that were happening, such as: Black people who tried to file Bankruptcy were given Chapter 13, and many white property owners who filed Bankruptcy were allowed Refinancing or given Chapter 7. "that made a big difference" in out comers

Another thing is: when HAMP (Home Affordable Mortgage Program) dismissed the Second's on properties, many of those Mortgage companies after receiving the compensation and tax credit from HAMP to dismiss those Seconds, SOME (most) of the Mortgage Servicers turned around and sold those Second's to the "Scavenger Market", and the Scavengers still to this day, hound people trying to get them to pay for something the Government already paid something to the Deed Holders of those Seconds and Gave them Tax Write Off and Tax Credit, as compensation for writing off the Seconds.

Exactly what part of what I said is incorrect or something you can refute? Or are you just saying that banks "NEVER should have been able to call those loans..." but, as I point out, they did? It sounds like you're in agreement with my post and adding more to it. Please clarify.

Exactly what part of what I said is incorrect or something you can refute? Or are you just saying that banks "NEVER should have been able to call those loans..." but, as I point out, they did? It sounds like you're in agreement with my post and adding more to it. Please clarify.
My comment was based on:

• The Banks NEVER should have been able to call those loans, because Fannie and Freddie had already taken over the packaged loans from the Banks.
  • When Fannie and Freddie took over the Packaged Loans, the banks should no longer have been involved with the loans.

My comment was based on:

• The Banks NEVER should have been able to call those loans, because Fannie and Freddie had already taken over the packaged loans from the Banks.
  • When Fannie and Freddie took over the Packaged Loans, the banks should no longer have been involved with the loans.

Agreed. Socializing cost to facilitate privatized profit running amok.

Agreed. Socializing cost to facilitate privatized profit running amok.
It's unfortunate that people of the Republican Ranks had absolutely no problem, with "banks profiting" AFTER Fannie and Freddie possessed those loans,
Yet, they have a problem when "government helps people". But they had no problem when government helped these Banks by relieving them of the Liability of the Loans.
NOW, Freddie and Fanny will begain "Selling These Packages, BACK TO BANKS, AT A DISCOUNTED RATE, SO THEY CAN PROFIT MORE. Yet, the Banks won't Refinance and Lower The Rates on Those Loans. So, the banks get a "profit again" on the same Loan Packages.

When Fannie and Freddie took over those packaged Loans, it was like "Giving Free Money" to the Banks. The Public NEVER CAUGHT ON.

WHEN Freddie and Fannie too over those packaged Loans, "all of them should have been converted to Lower Interest Fixed Rates Loans, and the Loan Payment should have "gone to Fannie and Freddie', "even if the banks were to collect those loans, their role should only have been to "send that payment money, directly to Fannie and Freddie. (That means the "Tax Payer Funded Freddie and Fannie" would have earned a % Profit for Relieving the Banks of that Debt. To Ensure That Fannie and Freddie gained a profit for the Tax Payer, They should have had a program, that "STOPS" foreclosure on those homes which those packaged loans represent, and those properties REMAINED in the possession of the Homeowner, which could have been done easily by "Restructing Those Loan Payments", to a lower interest rate to help keep people in those homes and doing so where the people had an "affordable mortgage".

Instead, The Foreclosure Madness, did nothing but Help The Wealthy... who came in and bought those "Foreclosed Loans" and began the cycle again, of "jacking up the price" and Reselling it for more profit.

Republican cry socialism, when anything helps people, but they don't care if Banks and Big Industry get help, they won't use the world socialism then.

We ended up with massive volumes of people "left homeless" while banks continued to show "Record Profits" off of Loans, they no longer had responsibility over.

President Obama, saw and knew the game was rigged against the Citizens, and he created "HAMP" (Home Affordable Modification Program) | Republican fought against it, because they only wanted the cycle of "greed profits level to continue streaming to the banks". HAMP put a stop to much of the Variable Interest Rate that was designed to Take Back those homes by excessively adjusting the rate upwards until the homeowner could not afford to meet the payment.

Banks Made $100's of Billions from Packaging and Selling Mortgages, in a fast repeating cycle, promising investor a ever escalating higher return, at the expense of the 'Home Owner".

Republican were so busy buying into "Right Wing Spin" they never stopped to think, and understand. The madness of Right Wing Media told them, "Attack Obama"... and they blinded themselves with the focus to attack Obama... and never to this day have come to understand how Obama Policies helped save peoples home, and stop the "carnages upon the American Home Owner".

Now, the Banks and Real Estate people are "at it again"... with this wild escalation of home pricing, but, none of it coming with an automative increase in Property Taxes, so "Cities Suffer"!!! because the more people pay for the home, the more Public Services They Want, but they don't want to pay higher property taxes to cover the cost of those services they want.
If property taxes increase in % with the fast pace of home prices increase, it would "stop the carnage" of over priced housing, by appraisers and real estate brokers.

It's unfortunate that people of the Republican Ranks had absolutely no problem, with "banks profiting" AFTER Fannie and Freddie possessed those loans,
Yet, they have a problem when "government helps people". But they had no problem when government helped these Banks by relieving them of the Liability of the Loans.
NOW, Freddie and Fanny will begain "Selling These Packages, BACK TO BANKS, AT A DISCOUNTED RATE, SO THEY CAN PROFIT MORE. Yet, the Banks won't Refinance and Lower The Rates on Those Loans. So, the banks get a "profit again" on the same Loan Packages.

When Fannie and Freddie took over those packaged Loans, it was like "Giving Free Money" to the Banks. The Public NEVER CAUGHT ON.

WHEN Freddie and Fannie too over those packaged Loans, "all of them should have been converted to Lower Interest Fixed Rates Loans, and the Loan Payment should have "gone to Fannie and Freddie', "even if the banks were to collect those loans, their role should only have been to "send that payment money, directly to Fannie and Freddie. (That means the "Tax Payer Funded Freddie and Fannie" would have earned a % Profit for Relieving the Banks of that Debt. To Ensure That Fannie and Freddie gained a profit for the Tax Payer, They should have had a program, that "STOPS" foreclosure on those homes which those packaged loans represent, and those properties REMAINED in the possession of the Homeowner, which could have been done easily by "Restructing Those Loan Payments", to a lower interest rate to help keep people in those homes and doing so where the people had an "affordable mortgage".

Instead, The Foreclosure Madness, did nothing but Help The Wealthy... who came in and bought those "Foreclosed Loans" and began the cycle again, of "jacking up the price" and Reselling it for more profit.

Republican cry socialism, when anything helps people, but they don't care if Banks and Big Industry get help, they won't use the world socialism then.

We ended up with massive volumes of people "left homeless" while banks continued to show "Record Profits" off of Loans, they no longer had responsibility over.

President Obama, saw and knew the game was rigged against the Citizens, and he created "HAMP" (Home Affordable Modification Program) | Republican fought against it, because they only wanted the cycle of "greed profits level to continue streaming to the banks". HAMP put a stop to much of the Variable Interest Rate that was designed to Take Back those homes by excessively adjusting the rate upwards until the homeowner could not afford to meet the payment.

Banks Made $100's of Billions from Packaging and Selling Mortgages, in a fast repeating cycle, promising investor a ever escalating higher return, at the expense of the 'Home Owner".

Republican were so busy buying into "Right Wing Spin" they never stopped to think, and understand. The madness of Right Wing Media told them, "Attack Obama"... and they blinded themselves with the focus to attack Obama... and never to this day have come to understand how Obama Policies helped save peoples home, and stop the "carnages upon the American Home Owner".

Now, the Banks and Real Estate people are "at it again"... with this wild escalation of home pricing, but, none of it coming with an automative increase in Property Taxes, so "Cities Suffer"!!! because the more people pay for the home, the more Public Services They Want, but they don't want to pay higher property taxes to cover the cost of those services they want.
If property taxes increase in % with the fast pace of home prices increase, it would "stop the carnage" of over priced housing, by appraisers and real estate brokers.

Republican philosophy is to keep and take money and power away from the public that can instead go to the rich and large corps. This shows itself in so many ways so often as to be visible with near daily regularity.

Sounds like someone doesn't know what price fixing is. You can't price fix a commoditzed product that is globally produced unless you control an overwhelming percentage of total production.

The leadership of every company on the planet has a fiduciary responsibility to look out for their shareholder's capital. Where were you when these companies were bleeding money year after year with low prices? Where was the price fixing then? Where was the support for federal subsidization? You don't get to have it both ways.

When did the taxpayer give trillions of dollars to oil companies? Show me the line item on a public filing.

To nationalize oil production in the belief it will result in *more* oil production is a bit like arguing for more sex in the name of increased virginity. National oil companies are notorious for sloth and corruption not producing oil.

Would you support a rationing of gas under the umbrella of National Security. I am thinking more along lines of everyone gets say 10-14 gallons a week at market price. If you need more then it’s at a higher price say extra dollar or so a gallon with extra taxes specifically for road infrastructure. All in the name of protecting a National Security concern. EV, hybrid, motorcycle owners would have either a fee or reduced allotment depending on applicability

Back
Top Bottom