• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oil Creeps Deeper Into Delicate Marshes

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"Everything in that marsh is dead as we speak," Plaquemines
Parish President Billy Nungesser said after touring the clogged
marshes. "Had you fallen off that boat yesterday and come up
breathing that stuff, you probably wouldn't be here, either."

And this is just the beginning. Before this ends, much of the Gulf Coast may be completely sterilized of life.

Let's get beyond the political here. This is the beginning of a major loss of pristine wetlands. So sad. In the future, we need to make sure that we never forget what happened here, and we need to do whatever it takes to keep an incident like this from ever happening again. There is no Liberal or Conservative side here - Only America the Beautiful, and damn it, keeping it beautiful should be our number one priority. Drill? OK, but follow the damn safety rules, and make sure that those who don't never have the opportunity to drill there again. No excuses, absolutely no excuses. This is a damn disgrace.

Article is here

Last edited:
There will be little will to follow the rules and limits of the earth which sustain us until such time that we find ourselves dying from lack of them. By then it will be too late, and we will have to make our peace with it.

People are already ignoring the signs, most of which revolve around the modern abundance of human illness.

And this is just the beginning. Before this ends, much of the Gulf Coast may be completely sterilized of life.

Let's get beyond the political here. This is the beginning of a major loss of pristine wetlands. So sad. In the future, we need to make sure that we never forget what happened here, and we need to do whatever it takes to keep an incident like this from ever happening again. There is no Liberal or Conservative side here - Only America the Beautiful, and damn it, keeping it beautiful should be our number one priority. Drill? OK, but follow the damn safety rules, and make sure that those who don't never have the opportunity to drill there again. No excuses, absolutely no excuses. This is a damn disgrace.

Article is here

There's no need to get hysterical about it, though. Like any other self-sustaining system, variables will shift and the system will balance out in time. There's no need to believe those wetlands are gone for good or even for an extended time.

Twenty years? Possibly. But not forever.

There's no need to get hysterical about it, though. Like any other self-sustaining system, variables will shift and the system will balance out in time. There's no need to believe those wetlands are gone for good or even for an extended time.

Twenty years? Possibly. But not forever.

Twenty years is not acceptable, especially when it looks like this could have been prevented, had BP followed proper procedures.

Twenty years is not acceptable, especially when it looks like this could have been prevented, had BP followed proper procedures.

Well twenty years is what you are going to have to deal with now that it's been done. Punish the people responsible (in a measured and commensurate way) and move on. Go fishing in the wetlands in 20 years and enjoy.

But as for today, there's not much that can be done that isn't already being done. And picking the scab isn't going to make it less of a sore spot. But you know what? It will heal in time and it will balance out.

Even Phoenicia began to grow again after the salting of the earth by the Romans.

Well twenty years is what you are going to have to deal with now that it's been done. Punish the people responsible (in a measured and commensurate way) and move on. Go fishing in the wetlands in 20 years and enjoy.

But as for today, there's not much that can be done that isn't already being done. And picking the scab isn't going to make it less of a sore spot. But you know what? It will heal in time and it will balance out.

Even Phoenicia began to grow again after the salting of the earth by the Romans.

Those who caused the spill must face the consequences. As for fishing in the wetlands in 20 years, I probably won't be around that long to enjoy it.

Those who caused the spill must face the consequences. As for fishing in the wetlands in 20 years, I probably won't be around that long to enjoy it.

Then might I interest you in one of our other wetlands in the meantime?

You know what's cool about the US? There's lots and lots and lots of land to choose from if part of it happens to be closed for renovation.

My Way News - A month in, outrage over Gulf oil spill grows

Public beach in La. closed as oil washes up - Yahoo! News

if you saw the pictures on msnbc this morning you surely cried

our economy, heck, the world economy can't take this

let alone the environment

comparisons to chernobyl are not too far fetched

cuz it's getting so much worse every hour

americans want this leak STOPPED

and just wait til SUMMER, it's gonna be OUTRAGE

people NATURALLY blame, it's just what they do, always have done

and they're not gonna blame glenn beck or rush limbaugh or george w what's-his-name

they're naturally gonna ACCUSE bp

and...

it's just the way it is

pray

And Dana, I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm really not. I just have a huge problem with alarmism, especially in an already emotionally charged situation. Am I gonna get pissed when I go to New Orleans in September and my shrimp po' boy is about 3 bucks more expensive? Yeah. Am I gonna be a little upset when my crawfish ettoufe isn't on the menu? Of course.

But at this point, it's crying over spilt milk. The cow will produce more milk by tomorrow so it's just kinda pointless. What's done is done.

what's done is not done

it's still gushing

what's done is not done

it's still gushing

So? They're working on fixing it. And it needs to gush at the same rate it did on day one for 261 days before it ever gets to the same level as the Valdez oil spill. So yeah, not really flipping out over it. Valdez is fine now. So, too, will be the Gulf and the wetlands, eventually.

What's done is done. Call me in 261 days...then I will start getting a little concerned.

what's done is not done

it's still gushing

And you should not be celebrating it. But, for someone who took pleasure in posting about the deaths of our troops a while back, I kind of expected this.

who's celebrating

it's tragic

pray

american martyrs in afghanistan topped 1000 this week, up fourfold since jan, 09, also awful

start a thread

whoa, you must not have seen the pictures i saw

I've seen the pictures. I also saw the pictures of Valdez after the Exxon spill. I've also seen Valdez today, in person. Guess what? The picture gets better.

the horrifying pictures on msnbc?

if so, tell it to the folks on the gulf trying to make a living

"the new video appears to show another breach in the drill pipe, closer to the well head"

from the times link

pray

So? They're working on fixing it. And it needs to gush at the same rate it did on day one for 261 days before it ever gets to the same level as the Valdez oil spill.

Where in the world do you get your info? :roll: This is probably way past the Valdez spill already... and you know it.

So yeah, not really flipping out over it. Valdez is fine now.

Uhhh, don't keep up on these disasters, ehh?

Two decades after the worst oil spill in U.S. history, huge quantities of oil still coat Alaska's shores with a toxic glaze, experts say.

More than 21,000 gallons of crude oil remain of the 11 million gallons of crude oil that bled from the stranded tanker Exxon Valdez on the night of March 23, 1989.

The oil—which has been detected as far as 450 miles (724 kilometers) away from the spill site in Prince William Sound—continues to harm wildlife and the livelihoods of local people, according to conservation groups. (See an Alaska map.)

Dennis Takahashi-Kelso, who was on the ground at the Exxon Valdez disaster as Alaska's commissioner of environmental conservation, remembers wading through knee-deep pools of bubbling, thick oil. The smell of the pure oil was intense and pungent, he said.

When he returned to the same beaches years later, he found "surprisingly fresh" oil just below the sand.
Exxon Valdez Anniversary: 20 Years Later, Oil Remains

A simple google search would have shown you this.

So, too, will be the Gulf and the wetlands, eventually.

What's done is done. Call me in 261 days...then I will start getting a little concerned.

Somehow I doubt it. :roll:

wow

try telling that to a 50 year old fisherman

it will get better, but it will take generations

just like alaska

it'll never be the same, however, not in any of our lifetimes

and if it keeps gushing the way it's going it'll soon be far worse than prince william sound

i'm stunned

the mere comparison of gulf communities with alaska's...

Where in the world do you get your info? :roll: This is probably way past the Valdez spill already... and you know it.

I get my information from news sources, not hysterics on a message board.

Times Online

You were saying?

Uhhh, don't keep up on these disasters, ehh?

Uhh, lived next door to it. Kept up on it probably better than anyone else here.

Only about 20 square acres are still contaminated chronically.

A simple google search would have shown you this.

And a closer, agenda free analysis of the information still demonstrated exactly what I said. Oh, and it was done by google, too.

Somehow I doubt it. :roll:

When I start giving a **** what you doubt or have faith in, I'll be sure to let you know, mkay?

wow

try telling that to a 50 year old fisherman

it will get better, but it will take generations

just like alaska

it'll never be the same, however, not in any of our lifetimes

and if it keeps gushing the way it's going it'll soon be far worse than prince william sound

i'm stunned

the mere comparison of gulf communities with alaska's...

Be stunned all you want. The fact is, it's not going to be forever and if you don't want oil spills, step up and stop being an oil consumer. For some reason, I just don't think that's gonna happen though, will it?

I'm still waiting on a full assessment of the damages, as the oil slick is still spreading.

Also, regardless of the damages, there need to be more federal regulations on safety systems of oil rigs to prevent this from happening again. There is enough evidence to demonstrate that BP was not prepared for this at all, and the response time was a travesty. If we are going to continue drilling for oil then it needs to be done responsibly.

Government needs to do its job and force safety regulations on the oil rigs, instead of catering to corporate lobbying to turn a blind eye. But since government is in bed with these companies I really don't see that happening. Profit over sanity.

I'm still waiting on a full assessment of the damages, as the oil slick is still spreading.

Also, regardless of the damages, there need to be more federal regulations on safety systems of oil rigs to prevent this from happening again. There is enough evidence to demonstrate that BP was not prepared for this at all, and the response time was a travesty. If we are going to continue drilling for oil then it needs to be done responsibly.

Government needs to do its job and force safety regulations on the oil rigs, instead of catering to corporate lobbying to turn a blind eye. But since government is in bed with these companies I really don't see that happening. Profit over sanity.

Now that is something I can agree with. Learn from it, take from it a lesson, but there's no need for people to devolve into fear-mongering and emotional caterwauling as if Mother Earth just got a forced hysterectomy with a rusty spoon.

Back
Top Bottom