• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

oil-Are we screwed?

All,

Here is an analysis of the potential of ethanol based on NASS statistics and the most optimistic production figures I could find:

http://www.ncga.com/ethanol/pdfs/EthanolfFuelsRebuttal.pdf

2.68 gallons per bushel (optimistic assessment from Pimentel Rebuttal)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question417.htm

146000000000 (146 billion gallons of gas consumed in the U.S. per year)

http://www.usda.gov/nass/aggraphs/cornyld.htm

148.4 bushels per acre

Therefore:

397 gallons per acre

http://www.nass.usda.gov/census/census02/volume1/us/st99_1_008_008.pdf

434 million acres of arable land in the U.S. (though 17 million acres fail per year)

Therefore:

417 million acres arable land

Therefore:

165.5 billion gallons of ethanol

BUT:

by optimistic estimates, 70% of the total has to be used to make the ethanol (see Pimental rebuttal)

Therefore:

49.65 billion gallons of ethanol, net.

Assuming that we don't eat, don't raise animals, and never leave any land fallow. Also assuming we have no need to replace diesel fuel, kerosine, or fuel oil.

This is a shortfall of 9.6 billion gallons of gasoline, or about a 66% shortfall.

If you still think that ethanol will save us, I guess I don't know what to say.

I still need a source for this.

See analysis of ethanol posted above. I still need you to name a single economic activity that doesn't depend on oil. Unless you wish to concede that point...

Normal engines used are pretty freaking heavy too, I don't see why a modified nuclear reactor couldn't one day be used in a plane.

As I understand how nuclear reactors work, they would be far heavier than jet engines. Being that there's no high pressure gaseous exhaust from a nuclear reactor capable of being used as a jet, I'm assuming that it'd have to be a prop plane. I just don't think you're going to get that off the ground.

But I'll tell you what: if you can find a single engineer who is seriously developing a nuclear airplane, I'll take a look at it.

Every generation thinks that it should be the most important generation,

I didn't know that generations think. Individual members of generations think, of course. Do you mean that every member of a given generation thinks to herself that her generation is the most important generation ever?

and that the world they live in will never change.

Seems entirely in conflict with what you just said...

What would make a generation more important than making it the last generation.

1) Any number of things. I don't think the last generation necessarily has to be the most important.

2) Who said anything about the last generation? Homo Sapiens will survive what's coming, though I think it will be very difficult for any given member of the species to survive.

It's a sort of short sighted vaguely self centered complex, but we all grow out of it eventually I suppose.

I don't find any evidence to suggest that, for instance, the Baby Boomers thought that they'd be the last generation.

The fact that we don't know how much oil the earth contains doesn't affect the debate?

Correct. Why would it? What counts is how much oil people think is there, and how much of it is ultimately recoverable. For instance, there may be a billion barrels smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean. We will never tap that billion barrels because it would be too energy inefficient to do so and because we'd have to be incredibly lucky to find it in the first place. Even could we tap it, we'd end up with no more than 400 million barrels from the billion barrel field.

What matters isn't how much oil we might eventually extract in an ideal world. What counts is how much oil we will extract in this world.

The fact that we know there's more oil than we can map certainly does.

You mean, you think there's oil in the earth that, for some odd reason, we couldn't put on a map if we knew where it was? Or, just that there's oil yet to be discovered?

That, and the historical knowledge that malthusian predictions have been the most perfect predictor of how wrong someone can be certainly must be considered.

The most perfect predictor? Can you adduce a single shread of evidence for that particular claim?

ashurbanipal said:
The most perfect predictor? Can you adduce a single shread of evidence for that particular claim?

Malthusian predictions have ALWAYS been wrong.

You're making a Malthusian prediction.

Malthusian predictions have ALWAYS been wrong.

You're making a Malthusian prediction.

1) Malthus claimed that food production capacity increased arithmetically while populations increase exponentially. Therefore, eventually population will exceed food production capacity, and must necessarily die back.

2) I am making no such claim. That my conclusion resembles Malthus' conclusion says nothing of the relative merits of the methods employed.

3) Malthus' central idea--that there is an inherent limit within an environment to the population which a species can attain--is generally considered to be valid. If the plankton that whales feed on dies off, whales will also die off. So the notion that his predictions are always wrong is false--he's right except in the case of homo sapiens, and then he's only wrong in recent history. Die-offs have happened many times throughout history prior to the discovery of coal.

4) It is commonly acknowledged that technology has allowed homo sapiens to escape Malthus' logic. But that technology is powered by oil. Right now, it doesn't look like we'll be able to replace what oil has done for us.

5) Absent such sources of energy, used to create food, Malthus will be proven correct.

ashurbanipal said:
1) Malthus claimed that food production capacity increased arithmetically while populations increase exponentially. Therefore, eventually population will exceed food production capacity, and must necessarily die back.

A "malthusian prediction" is something that claims resources are limited and WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Malthus created the class. His particular contribution wasn't the exclusive entry.

ashurbanipal said:
3) Malthus' central idea--that there is an inherent limit within an environment to the population which a species can attain--is generally considered to be valid. If the plankton that whales feed on dies off, whales will also die off. So the notion that his predictions are always wrong is false--he's right except in the case of homo sapiens, and then he's only wrong in recent history. Die-offs have happened many times throughout history prior to the discovery of coal.

Men aren't whales (There is Kirstie Alley, though...). Homo sapiens as a species is unique in it's ability to manipulate it's environment, and it has thus also proven unique in it's ability to overcome challenges that nature tosses it's way.

Malthusian prophets make the presumption that men are whales that will be hunted to extinction by inescapable environmental challenges.

Needless to say, as the various stone-aged populations of the world industrialize, they're population growths will slow while their national productivity will soar. That's something Malthus and none of his disciples take into account.

Now, there's a 10 trillion tons of carbon locked up in methane ices on the ocean floors. That dwarfs any oil reserves known or projected. Tapping that is not impossible but not currently economically viable. But if the oil runs out, all that natural gas will be there. So in one hundred, or two hundred years, if we're still so primitive that we need to burn fossil fuels for energy, we'll have that.

Now, I'm not too keen on that, we're talking quantities of CO2 release that definitely approach that seen in historical environmental disasters, but that may be a chance our descendants must face if they haven't figured out nuclear fusion or tapped other non-carbon based energy sources in quantity by then.

At this time, it's not an issue.

Possible non-carbon alternatives:

Wind, solar passive, solar active, space based solar power, geothermal, ocean thermal gradients, tides, waves, nuclear fission, nuclear fusion, not to mention exploitation of space based resources for mining, manufacturing, and colonization.

But the best bet is raising the standard of living of the world by industrialization and education. When the productivity of the individual rises and the need of the peasant for a large family is abated to psychological aberrants, global population will begin to decline and a sustainable balance will be reached.

Really, there's a whole solar system of resources out there, not to mention the rest of the galaxy is waiting for us.

ashurbanipal said:
As I understand how nuclear reactors work, they would be far heavier than jet engines. Being that there's no high pressure gaseous exhaust from a nuclear reactor capable of being used as a jet, I'm assuming that it'd have to be a prop plane. I just don't think you're going to get that off the ground.

But I'll tell you what: if you can find a single engineer who is seriously developing a nuclear airplane, I'll take a look at it.
Granted.

ashurbanipal said:
I didn't know that generations think. Individual members of generations think, of course. Do you mean that every member of a given generation thinks to herself that her generation is the most important generation ever?
Mostly.

There is a fuel that we experimented with in the early 90s deemed too dirty to use anymore..

what was that?

I remember hearing about how much trillions upon trillions of it we have...

A "malthusian prediction" is something that claims resources are limited and WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Well, that's not my claim. Resources are limited, and we all are going to die, but many of us will make it to our normal expected lifespans in spite of resource limitations.

Malthus created the class. His particular contribution wasn't the exclusive entry.

Do you always analyze this way?

Men aren't whales (There is Kirstie Alley, though...). Homo sapiens as a species is unique in it's ability to manipulate it's environment, and it has thus also proven unique in it's ability to overcome challenges that nature tosses it's way.

No, we're only unique in scale, not in kind. See Desmond Morris' "The Naked Ape" for practically undeniable analysis of this fact.

Malthusian prophets make the presumption that men are whales that will be hunted to extinction by inescapable environmental challenges.

Huh? I don't make the presumption that men are whales. I do make the presumption that right now the world runs on oil, and in particular ever increasing supplies. We soon will not be able to increase supplies despite our best effort.

Needless to say, as the various stone-aged populations of the world industrialize, they're population growths will slow while their national productivity will soar. That's something Malthus and none of his disciples take into account.

I'm sure it looks this way to you, but anyone who's spent much time in developing nations would tell a very different story. See, for instance:

http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2005/12/18/1387/0641

Now, there's a 10 trillion tons of carbon locked up in methane ices on the ocean floors. That dwarfs any oil reserves known or projected. Tapping that is not impossible but not currently economically viable. But if the oil runs out, all that natural gas will be there. So in one hundred, or two hundred years, if we're still so primitive that we need to burn fossil fuels for energy, we'll have that.

Well, in order to tap it (and assuming we can somehow avoid environmental cataclysm in doing so) we're going to need lots of energy. I think we're headed for a serious energy crash and we just won't be able to do it.

Now, I'm not too keen on that, we're talking quantities of CO2 release that definitely approach that seen in historical environmental disasters, but that may be a chance our descendants must face if they haven't figured out nuclear fusion or tapped other non-carbon based energy sources in quantity by then.

The thing that gets me about all this is that we had a very decent global economy prior to the industrial revolution. I would rather have seen how we turned out had we never discovered oil/ natural gas. Things were looking up circa 1760 or so.

Wind, solar passive, solar active, space based solar power, geothermal, ocean thermal gradients, tides, waves, nuclear fission, nuclear fusion, not to mention exploitation of space based resources for mining, manufacturing, and colonization.

Yes, and all of those will help (except possibly fusion and space-mining, as they haven't been developed yet). But do the math on all of them and you'll find that none of them, even all of them in combination, will do for us what oil has done.

ut the best bet is raising the standard of living of the world by industrialization and education.

Education yes, industrialization, no. See David Korten's book "When Corporations Rule the World" for discussion. Keep in mind that Mr. Korten is a conservative businessman who spent 20 years trying to help "develop" non-industrialized countries. He eventually began to realize it wasn't such a good deal, and like any human being who isn't a complete psycho and who sees what he saw, he changed his mind about the effects of industrialization. I'll say no more than that--the book is one of the most compelling reads I've found.

When the productivity of the individual rises and the need of the peasant for a large family is abated to psychological aberrants, global population will begin to decline and a sustainable balance will be reached.

Well, we'll see.

128shot,

I think you're talking about Shale Oil. There were 3 problems with it: the environmental problem, the economic problem, and the scalability problem. The first has theoretically been solved by Shell using in situ processing (though burning the resultant fuel is still as polluting as regular oil). The second may be solved by high oil prices. The third could only be solved in a different universe, and is partially a consequence of the second, partially a consequence of physics and chemistry.

ashurbanipal said:
Well, that's not my claim. Resources are limited, and we all are going to die, but many of us will make it to our normal expected lifespans in spite of resource limitations.

Imaginations may be limited, but resources are not. We have entire planets available to us made of hydrogen. One has an atmosphere of methane. There's countless rocks and comets to mine. There's a whole universe for the taking, if you don't limit your sense of the possible to the surface of a sphere.

ashurbanipal said:
Do you always analyze this way?

That wasn't an analysis, it was a statement.

ashurbanipal said:
No, we're only unique in scale, not in kind. See Desmond Morris' "The Naked Ape" for practically undeniable analysis of this fact.

Yeah, I've got the book. Morris doesn't say we're not unique, he says were animals, something I've not denied. But clearly there is that about us that makes us unique in the animal world. In fact, the concept of "species" implies uniqueness.

ashurbanipal said:
Huh? I don't make the presumption that men are whales. I do make the presumption that right now the world runs on oil, and in particular ever increasing supplies. We soon will not be able to increase supplies despite our best effort.

You made the connection, I used it. As I can see, though, you're limiting your imagination to oil and it's by products. As I listed, there are many alternatives, some readily available, some requiring research, some possibly impractical. But not a bit of it is possible with a caged imagination.

ashurbanipal said:
I'm sure it looks this way to you, but anyone who's spent much time in developing nations would tell a very different story.

And anyone that's looked at population growth charts for developed countries can't miss the flattening and negative slope of the curves as industrialization progresses. Unless you're implying that the jungle bunnies are not as human as the europeans, their nations will follow similar curves as the cost of raising children increase and the risks of retirement decrease.

ashurbanipal said:
Well, in order to tap it (and assuming we can somehow avoid environmental cataclysm in doing so) we're going to need lots of energy. I think we're headed for a serious energy crash and we just won't be able to do it.

Nah, I've doped out a couple ways to get the stuff, not that I'm telling you. Besides, human knowledge expands exponentially. Our needs will be met by our abilities.

ashurbanipal said:
The thing that gets me about all this is that we had a very decent global economy prior to the industrial revolution. I would rather have seen how we turned out had we never discovered oil/ natural gas. Things were looking up circa 1760 or so.

Yes, it was so nice before the IR. People living in quaint cottages burning cow dung for heat and cooking. In the cities they emptied their chamber pots in the middle of the street, or poured them out the windows, and the poor folk lived right down there with it. And before the days of petroleum we hunted whales for lamp oil.

Those were the wonderful days indeed.

Yeah. :roll: You just blew all your credibility.

ashurbanipal said:
Yes, and all of those will help (except possibly fusion and space-mining, as they haven't been developed yet). But do the math on all of them and you'll find that none of them, even all of them in combination, will do for us what oil has done.

Sorry, the releasing the binding energy equivalent of a kilogram of matter compares to how much oil?

ashurbanipal said:
Education yes, industrialization, no. See David Korten's book "When Corporations Rule the World" for discussion. Keep in mind that Mr. Korten is a conservative businessman who spent 20 years trying to help "develop" non-industrialized countries. He eventually began to realize it wasn't such a good deal, and like any human being who isn't a complete psycho and who sees what he saw, he changed his mind about the effects of industrialization. I'll say no more than that--the book is one of the most compelling reads I've found.

What? He must be a guy that uses the term "jungle bunnies" in seriousness. I've met far too many Africans to be willing to write the race off as useless and uncivilizable. Same for the Chinese and S. Americans. If those people can be successes here in this country, there's clearly no organic reason why their cousing in other lands can't do the same, once their governments are repaired.

Korten must be some kind of quitter, or he's as blinded by ideological futility as you are.

ashurbanipal said:
128shot,

I think you're talking about Shale Oil. There were 3 problems with it: the environmental problem, the economic problem, and the scalability problem. The first has theoretically been solved by Shell using in situ processing (though burning the resultant fuel is still as polluting as regular oil). The second may be solved by high oil prices. The third could only be solved in a different universe, and is partially a consequence of the second, partially a consequence of physics and chemistry.

no...I don't think I am...

Imaginations may be limited, but resources are not. We have entire planets available to us made of hydrogen. One has an atmosphere of methane. There's countless rocks and comets to mine. There's a whole universe for the taking, if you don't limit your sense of the possible to the surface of a sphere.

Well, the minute someone actually taps some of that methane, I will concede the point. However, it won't happen in my lifetime, I am almost positive.

Yeah, I've got the book. Morris doesn't say we're not unique, he says were animals, something I've not denied. But clearly there is that about us that makes us unique in the animal world. In fact, the concept of "species" implies uniqueness.

Trivially unique, yes. We happen to look different than any other species. But aside from that, our only differences are in degree, not in kind, which was the gist of his book--a point I daresay he practically proves.

You made the connection, I used it. As I can see, though, you're limiting your imagination to oil and it's by products. As I listed, there are many alternatives, some readily available, some requiring research, some possibly impractical. But not a bit of it is possible with a caged imagination.

I made what connection? The one between whales and people? I think not.

Don't get me wrong, as I've said before all those alternatives will be put into use. It's just that all of them, being produced and used as fast as possible, could not make up for the shortfalls of oil that we will be experiencing. And that's only if we start right now on the same level (or better) as our effort to win WWII.

And anyone that's looked at population growth charts for developed countries can't miss the flattening and negative slope of the curves as industrialization progresses. Unless you're implying that the jungle bunnies are not as human as the europeans, their nations will follow similar curves as the cost of raising children increase and the risks of retirement decrease.

Yes, they show that, and no, I'm not implying that Europeans are somehow "better" than others. Go look at those graphs comparing oil per capita to the rates of industrialization. Perhaps then you'll get what I'm talking about.

Nah, I've doped out a couple ways to get the stuff, not that I'm telling you. Besides, human knowledge expands exponentially. Our needs will be met by our abilities.

Good luck on your dope. Check out a guy named Huebner:

http://accelerating.org/articles/huebnerinnovation.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7616

My position is somewhere between the two articles--there are definite obvious flaws to Huebner's methods, but at the same time he seems to be on to something.

Yes, it was so nice before the IR. People living in quaint cottages burning cow dung for heat and cooking. In the cities they emptied their chamber pots in the middle of the street, or poured them out the windows, and the poor folk lived right down there with it. And before the days of petroleum we hunted whales for lamp oil.

Those were the wonderful days indeed.

Yeah. You just blew all your credibility.

As if those few facts sum up the whole of the age. Yes, things were rather less pleasant than they are now--but most of our hygenic advances were possible outside of an industrial framework. There's no obvious necessary connection between, say, the germ theory of disease and the widespread use of coal. None of the instruments used in the detection of germs were a direct result of the use of coal. The only thing that might not have been possible were large bore pipes used to create modern sewers, but there were other sewer models available (e.g. Roman sewers).

My speculation had nothing to do with the industrial revolution as a general concept, but rather in how it was carried out. We had the science to generate electricity via other means (wind power, solar power) that early. It's just that coal was vastly more economical. Had it not been, it seems reasonable to suppose that we'd have used wind and hydro power to fuel a probably slower IR, but one based on more sustainable forms of energy. The population of the earth would undoubtedly be smaller, but I can't see that as a bad thing, especially as life now would likely be fairly good for anybody alive. Those never born hardly have any complaints.

In general, quality of life in 1750 was better than it was in 1650, 1550, 1450, etc. Additionally, at that time there began to be an explosion of knowledge that has continued to this day. Did it need to be fuel by coal and oil? I don't think so. That was my point.

Sorry, the releasing the binding energy equivalent of a kilogram of matter compares to how much oil?

That's quite simplistic. Of course, there is tremendous potential in nuclear power, and I think we ought to scale it up as quickly as possible. But scaling it up is the problem. We need to use existing, prevalent energy resources to do so (i.e. oil) and we're past the point where we'll be able to have enough oil to scale nuclear up where it meets our needs. Additionally, there are serious logistical concerns with nuclear power such as how you might use it to power a car. Do we need cars? We do under current conditions. If all the internal combustion engines disappear overnight, we'll be seriously screwed. But we don't need them in some absolute sense. The question is how we get from where we are (i.e. car-dependent) to being non-car dependent without massive economic and social disruption. If we have 20 years, and everyone's well aware of the problem and willing to adjust, we could do it. But it appears we have five years or less before shortfalls of oil become critical. In that time, we can do very little to prepare.

What? He must be a guy that uses the term "jungle bunnies" in seriousness.

Actually, he's quite fond of people who live in undeveloped regions. It's us of whom he is rather disparaging.

I've met far too many Africans to be willing to write the race off as useless and uncivilizable. Same for the Chinese and S. Americans. If those people can be successes here in this country, there's clearly no organic reason why their cousing in other lands can't do the same, once their governments are repaired.

That's quite a leap. Why is it that Africans must embrace industrialization in order to avoid uselessness and savagery? Or the Chinese or South Americans? Why is it that success means they must embrace our way of life? Prior to white people showing up, people all over the rest of the world were doing just fine. Now, a western company roles in, bribes the government to rezone land for industrial use, they kick the farmers off for having illegally farmed land zoned for industry (land that they had made a living on going back generations), and then offer them the option to work for 12 cents a day at the brand new Coca-Cola factory, which spews out enough toxic sludge that all the former farmers get cancer and die by the time they're 35. That's the effect that industrialization almost uniformly has on undeveloped countries. Again, read the book. He's quite thorough.

Korten must be some kind of quitter, or he's as blinded by ideological futility as you are.

No, he devotes the last chapters of his book to potential solutions. Prime among them are restructuring how corporations can work, how capital is allowed to flow, international fair wage standards, environmental and worker safety standards, etc. In short, get the people at the top to treat the people who work for them with genuine fairness.

128shot,

In that case, I don't know what it could be. I know that Shale Oil was originally toyed with in the 1970's but the processes at that time had severe environmental impact. I'd be interested, though, if you think of what it might be.

ashurbanipal said:
128shot,

In that case, I don't know what it could be. I know that Shale Oil was originally toyed with in the 1970's but the processes at that time had severe environmental impact. I'd be interested, though, if you think of what it might be.

its something you get from the sea I think, and I know its not methane...

I think it started with an A...

I know it was considered enviormentally unfriendly, much like shale, but it was easily obtainable, which is the difference...experimented with in the early 90s

What is interesting about this debate is looking at the forms of arguing. Over at www.peakoil.com we have pointed this out time and time again, when ever someone starts in with ad Hom attacks and how the person must be racist or a defeatist, they often don't have anything else to use to try to discredit the idea. They literally can't argue the point because it's as close to proven as can become in this world. So they resort to saying the source of that proof must be a bad person, and hence their data is faulty by contamination.

It really annoys me, but i suppose I shouldn't get too annoyed. Afterall, it is scary for someone who believes the things that scarecrow believes to discuss the limits of what humans can do with technology. They literally can't make the leap that humans are not outside the bounds of biology. We are a part of the natural world, we don't exist outside it. That when we run into the wall known as resource scarcity, we won't always magically come up with a solution. Sometimes we do, as evidenced with the Industrial Revolution. Sometimes we don't, as evidenced by cultural collapses in the past. But when it's obvious that we aren't, and we are continuing to act like we are, that's just plain stupid. I consider this the biggest flaw in our culture, the thought that anything that disagrees with it must be from someone who is bad, wrong, or in some way flawed.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Why is the culture i was born into not willing to do the same?

128shot,

I'm afraid in that case I don't know what it could be. Possibly some kind of radioactive compound that exists in low concentrations or something.

ashurbanipal said:
Well, the minute someone actually taps some of that methane, I will concede the point. However, it won't happen in my lifetime, I am almost positive.

Yes, one can never tell when The Big One will strike. It's there, it's a resource. When it becomes economically viable, it will be tapped. Your faith in the incompetency of man is totally uninspiring, I must admit.

ashurbanipal said:
Trivially unique, yes. We happen to look different than any other species. But aside from that, our only differences are in degree, not in kind, which was the gist of his book--a point I daresay he practically proves.

Trivial? I mean, we all know that birds can count, we've seen horses do arithmatic on TV, I've heard that chimps are whizzes at algebra, so I guess that being the only species on the planet that can solve differential equations is just a trivial accomplishment.

And sonnets? Shakespeare's got nothing on the loon. :roll:

ashurbanipal said:
I made what connection? The one between whales and people? I think not.

Well, we know that already.

ashurbanipal said:
As if those few facts sum up the whole of the age. Yes, things were rather less pleasant than they are now--but most of our hygenic advances were possible outside of an industrial framework. There's no obvious necessary connection between, say, the germ theory of disease and the widespread use of coal. None of the instruments used in the detection of germs were a direct result of the use of coal.

You operate an electron microscope on a muscle powered treadmill. Go ahead, I want to see it. The germ theory could have been discovered at any time. Penecillin and modern antibiotics requires an industrial society, as do MRI's, CAT scans, X-Rays, genetics, and the opthmaloscope.

ashurbanipal said:
My speculation had nothing to do with the industrial revolution as a general concept, but rather in how it was carried out. We had the science to generate electricity via other means (wind power, solar power) that early. It's just that coal was vastly more economical. Had it not been, it seems reasonable to suppose that we'd have used wind and hydro power to fuel a probably slower IR, but one based on more sustainable forms of energy. The population of the earth would undoubtedly be smaller, but I can't see that as a bad thing, especially as life now would likely be fairly good for anybody alive. Those never born hardly have any complaints.

In general, quality of life in 1750 was better than it was in 1650, 1550, 1450, etc. Additionally, at that time there began to be an explosion of knowledge that has continued to this day. Did it need to be fuel by coal and oil? I don't think so. That was my point.

Applications of wind power were at there limits in the 1600's when the steam engine was invented. There's a reason why Newcomen invented his steam engine. No other tool was able to pump out the mines as well. And it was the investigation of steam power and the subsequent development of thermodynamics that drove the modern concepts of energy, and the potential uses of power that grew into our society.

Until the development of nuclear power, only steam fired by wood, coal, or oil could provide the horsepower to drive the ships at the speed desired or enable them to carry the weight of steel armor needed in battles.

It was the growth of the steam engine that got more people into the cities than were on the farms as mechanization replaced human muscle.

It was the use of coal and oil and gas for heating the improved the lives of so many in the winter.

It's the availability of high quantities of electricity that makes aluminum a commercially useful metal. Without aluminum, airplanes would be limited by wood and canvas, not to mention that they wouldn't be flying without fossil fuels anyway.

Nope, without burnable fossil fuels, I think we'd still be living in a post colonial America not much different from when Jefferson was president. It would still be taking years to cross the United States and not many people would like that world.

ashurbanipal said:
That's quite simplistic. Of course, there is tremendous potential in nuclear power, and I think we ought to scale it up as quickly as possible. But scaling it up is the problem. We need to use existing, prevalent energy resources to do so (i.e. oil) and we're past the point where we'll be able to have enough oil to scale nuclear up where it meets our needs. Additionally, there are serious logistical concerns with nuclear power such as how you might use it to power a car. Do we need cars? We do under current conditions. If all the internal combustion engines disappear overnight, we'll be seriously screwed. But we don't need them in some absolute sense. The question is how we get from where we are (i.e. car-dependent) to being non-car dependent without massive economic and social disruption. If we have 20 years, and everyone's well aware of the problem and willing to adjust, we could do it. But it appears we have five years or less before shortfalls of oil become critical. In that time, we can do very little to prepare.

Scaling nuclear power up is a "problem"? We've designed thousand megawatt reactors. How much more "scaling" is needed?

As for cars, clearly if it became economical to ride mass transit, more people would do so, and the systems would also evolve to expanded usefulness, if we can assume that entreprenurial capitalists are running the show and not city/county councils responding to bus and taxi driver unions as is usually the case today.

On a practical basis, uranium and eventually hydrogen/deuterium would replace coal and oil to power the nation's electric grid and the oil and coal would be used to supply other energy needs.

And your chicken little panic not withstanding, we've more than 20 years to address the problem. How many times do I have to tell you that there's a method of extracting oil equivalent from Colorado shale for less than 20 bucks a barrel? That's an existing method, today. So that's a trillion barrels of juice on reserve in the United States.

ashurbanipal said:
Actually, he's quite fond of people who live in undeveloped regions. It's us of whom he is rather disparaging.

Well, there you go, then. Has he made the connection that it's not the industrial level of the nation that's the problem but the socialist/totalitarian nature of their governments? If he's failed to make that connection, he doesn't understand the problem, and he'd be a waste of time to read.

ashurbanipal said:
That's quite a leap. Why is it that Africans must embrace industrialization in order to avoid uselessness and savagery? Or the Chinese or South Americans? Why is it that success means they must embrace our way of life? Prior to white people showing up, people all over the rest of the world were doing just fine.

Yeah, if you think "fine" is an aristocratic social model with thousands of ignorant peasants supporting a pyramid with a king on the top. Americans don't think that social model is acceptable.

ashurbanipal said:
Now, a western company roles in, bribes the government to rezone land for industrial use, they kick the farmers off for having illegally farmed land zoned for industry (land that they had made a living on going back generations), and then offer them the option to work for 12 cents a day at the brand new Coca-Cola factory, which spews out enough toxic sludge that all the former farmers get cancer and die by the time they're 35. That's the effect that industrialization almost uniformly has on undeveloped countries. Again, read the book. He's quite thorough.

All the former farmers die of cancer because of a coke factory? If that's an example of his "thoroughness", clearly I have much better things to do with my time. And the problem isn't the industrialization, the problem is the colonial nature of the imposition, the culture shock, and many times the ignorance of the industrial powers about local culture and local conditions, and there's also the problem that shifting from a rural agrarian economic model to a modern industrial model always entails disruption.

ashurbanipal said:
No, he devotes the last chapters of his book to potential solutions. Prime among them are restructuring how corporations can work, how capital is allowed to flow, international fair wage standards, environmental and worker safety standards, etc. In short, get the people at the top to treat the people who work for them with genuine fairness.

Ah, "international fair wage standards". So the real problem is socialist governments, which he doesn't address, and his solution is wage control, which is a socailist concept, and he thinks he's going to solve things? hahahahahahahaha.

azreal60 said:
It really annoys me, but i suppose I shouldn't get too annoyed. Afterall, it is scary for someone who believes the things that scarecrow believes to discuss the limits of what humans can do with technology.

I don't know anything about you, but I'm an engineer with practical experience in both nuclear power, and aircraft and spacecraft mechanisms. When I say something is technically feasible, I'm talking from professional experience and knowledge.

What's your basis?

Yes, one can never tell when The Big One will strike. It's there, it's a resource. When it becomes economically viable, it will be tapped. Your faith in the incompetency of man is totally uninspiring, I must admit.

1) You think that the weight of history should cause us to conclude that people are highly competent generally? If so, why? It seems an extraordinary claim to me.

Trivial? I mean, we all know that birds can count, we've seen horses do arithmatic on TV, I've heard that chimps are whizzes at algebra, so I guess that being the only species on the planet that can solve differential equations is just a trivial accomplishment.

And sonnets? Shakespeare's got nothing on the loon.

You're confirming my point--we're different in degree only.

You operate an electron microscope on a muscle powered treadmill.

Germs were initially discovered in a petri dish, and later confirmed by a simple optical microscope, neither of which require oil to make or operate.

Penecillin and modern antibiotics requires an industrial society, as do MRI's, CAT scans, X-Rays, genetics, and the opthmaloscope.

Penicillin doesn't require industrialization. Those others do, but they don't require oil, and industrialization doesn't necessarily require oil. If you thought that, you'd be even more doomish than me because you'd be forced to acknowledge that oil running out means the end of industry.

Applications of wind power were at there limits in the 1600's when the steam engine was invented. There's a reason why Newcomen invented his steam engine. No other tool was able to pump out the mines as well.

The key phrase is "as well." Of course oil, coal, and natural gas have accelerated the rate at which we are able to do things. I'm not arguing that. I am arguing that they're a finite resource, they will one day become impractical to extract, and because we went full steam ahead with them, we'll be in serious trouble when that day arrives. As to whether they've accelerated the rate of discovery...that's debatable. Again, if you read those Huebner articles, you'd see that it's at least plausible that innovation has been slowing since the 1860's, despite oil's increasing use.

And it was the investigation of steam power and the subsequent development of thermodynamics that drove the modern concepts of energy, and the potential uses of power that grew into our society.

People were looking into thermodynamics prior to the widespread use of steam. Anyway, so what? What other aspects of nature might we have discovered had we proceeded differently? why do you assume that the ones we discovered, and the specific means by which we discovered them, are the only ones of value to be discovered (or that there was only one path to those disoveries)?

Until the development of nuclear power, only steam fired by wood, coal, or oil could provide the horsepower to drive the ships at the speed desired or enable them to carry the weight of steel armor needed in battles.

So people might have had to deal with slower ships and less armor. Given what's coming, I think that would have been entirely preferable.

It was the growth of the steam engine that got more people into the cities than were on the farms as mechanization replaced human muscle.

Undeniably true, but again, so what?

It was the use of coal and oil and gas for heating the improved the lives of so many in the winter.

Also undeniably true. It caused a lot more people to migrate to inhospitable climes. What will happen when that infrastructure based on oil that allows them to live there crashes?

It's the availability of high quantities of electricity that makes aluminum a commercially useful metal. Without aluminum, airplanes would be limited by wood and canvas, not to mention that they wouldn't be flying without fossil fuels anyway.

Again, so what? Are airplanes a necessary component of industrialization? Clearly not, as we were already industrialized when they were invented.

Nope, without burnable fossil fuels, I think we'd still be living in a post colonial America not much different from when Jefferson was president. It would still be taking years to cross the United States and not many people would like that world.

Weren't you just arguing for the competence of people a few paragraphs back? If you acknowledge that oil did all this stuff, and that without it, we'd be living in a much less technologically oriented and less pleasant world, surely you're adducing arguments for my side of the case, not your own?

Scaling nuclear power up is a "problem"? We've designed thousand megawatt reactors. How much more "scaling" is needed?

According to the BP statistical review of energy resources 2004, nuclear energy made up 13% of energy consumed in North America that year (mostly in Canada), and about 1% of energy consumed worldwide. We should scale it up to roughly 60% or so. Now, tell me we can do that in five years or so.

As for cars, clearly if it became economical to ride mass transit, more people would do so, and the systems would also evolve to expanded usefulness, if we can assume that entreprenurial capitalists are running the show and not city/county councils responding to bus and taxi driver unions as is usually the case today.

This may be true, but again it all comes down to timing. There won't be enough time to make a huge impact.

On a practical basis, uranium and eventually hydrogen/deuterium would replace coal and oil to power the nation's electric grid and the oil and coal would be used to supply other energy needs.

This is the ideal situation, but we needed to start in 1992.

And your chicken little panic not withstanding, we've more than 20 years to address the problem. How many times do I have to tell you that there's a method of extracting oil equivalent from Colorado shale for less than 20 bucks a barrel?

There's also a method of colonizing the moon, but if we had to move a billion people there in five years, could we do it--especially if most governments didn't realize that it was necessary or didn't care? It's as if you don't even bother reading those links I post, many of them from industry sources that have nothing whatever to do with the peak oil movement.

For instance:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2005/RAND_MG414.sum.pdf

....Consequently, at least 12 and possibly more years will elapse before oil shale development will reach the production growth phase. Under high growth assumptions, an oil shale production level of 1 million barrels per day is probably more than 20 years in the future, and 3 million barrels per day is probably more than 30 years into the future.

Keep in mind we use 21 million barrels of oil per day--that's expected to increase substantially in the next decade.

Well, there you go, then. Has he made the connection that it's not the industrial level of the nation that's the problem but the socialist/totalitarian nature of their governments? If he's failed to make that connection, he doesn't understand the problem, and he'd be a waste of time to read.

No, he makes a very convincing case that governments are at the beck and call of corporations, at least most of the time. Is that the fault of the people who live in those countries? If the CEO of Ford calls up the leader of Uganda and pays him to murder the people protesting the opening of a new plant, aren't both of them equally culpable?

Yeah, if you think "fine" is an aristocratic social model with thousands of ignorant peasants supporting a pyramid with a king on the top. Americans don't think that social model is acceptable.

1) Americans have created the same social model in all but name, and in far more insidious manner.

2) Who cares what Americans think? My question goes above that--I'm asking what makes "What Americans think" correct? That seems to be your basis for judgement, but you've shown no reason we ought to take it as good. Clearly, a lot of indigenous populations would prefer white people pack up and leave.

All the former farmers die of cancer because of a coke factory? If that's an example of his "thoroughness", clearly I have much better things to do with my time.

1) It was a rhetorical example.

2) I would think that any human being with any actual humanity would want to know whether such claims were true, and might consider it a valuable use of time to investigate them.

And the problem isn't the industrialization, the problem is the colonial nature of the imposition,

Yeah, but to get these people to industrialize, that's what you have to do because they don't want it. Again, most folks living in less developed countries prior to the appearance of European colonists were getting along quite well. You may think that their social models were savage or whatever, but until you can show a palpable reason why that judgement isn't just arbitrary, you haven't shown anything.

Ah, "international fair wage standards". So the real problem is socialist governments, which he doesn't address, and his solution is wage control, which is a socailist concept, and he thinks he's going to solve things? hahahahahahahaha.

1) Why do you think that socialism is the problem?
2) Why do you think that wage control is a bad thing (at least you seem to imply as much)?
3) Without having read the book, on what basis can you really judge?

ashurbanipal said:
1) You think that the weight of history should cause us to conclude that people are highly competent generally? If so, why? It seems an extraordinary claim to me.

The majority of people are always incompetent. That's why democracy is such a silly idea. But when it comes to technical innovation, it's not the masses but the individual mind that counts, and exceptional individuals show up routinely.

ashurbanipal said:
You're confirming my point--we're different in degree only.

You're either not capable of grasping what I said or deliberately denying it. Which is it?

ashurbanipal said:
Germs were initially discovered in a petri dish, and later confirmed by a simple optical microscope, neither of which require oil to make or operate.

Were those bacterial "germs" or virus "germs"? Not that I don't know the answer, but you're cherry picking because you can't dodge the spear of my intent.

ashurbanipal said:
Penicillin doesn't require industrialization. Those others do, but they don't require oil, and industrialization doesn't necessarily require oil. If you thought that, you'd be even more doomish than me because you'd be forced to acknowledge that oil running out means the end of industry.

It doesn't? You mean they could have made a million gallons of the stuff using 1550 technology? Amazing. What would they use for thermometers and other quality control instruments?

ashurbanipal said:
The key phrase is "as well." Of course oil, coal, and natural gas have accelerated the rate at which we are able to do things. I'm not arguing that. I am arguing that they're a finite resource, they will one day become impractical to extract, and because we went full steam ahead with them, we'll be in serious trouble when that day arrives. As to whether they've accelerated the rate of discovery...that's debatable. Again, if you read those Huebner articles, you'd see that it's at least plausible that innovation has been slowing since the 1860's, despite oil's increasing use.

The key phrase is "do".

ashurbanipal said:
People were looking into thermodynamics prior to the widespread use of steam. Anyway, so what? What other aspects of nature might we have discovered had we proceeded differently?

None. We know everything.

ashurbanipal said:
why do you assume that the ones we discovered, and the specific means by which we discovered them, are the only ones of value to be discovered (or that there was only one path to those disoveries)?

Because they've been proven to work? That's usually a good clue. It's not like there hasn't been a million fruit-cakes trying to make their own Dean Engine, you know. And the levitators and teleporters and the karmic transporters. Engineering works. We know that. The other stuff doesn't. We know that, too.

ashurbanipal said:
So people might have had to deal with slower ships and less armor. Given what's coming, I think that would have been entirely preferable.

Ah, the Luddite Strain finally emerges, and now we know your motivation. You wish we'd always stayed in the caves because someday maybe we have to go back to them.

ashurbanipal said:
Again, so what? Are airplanes a necessary component of industrialization? Clearly not, as we were already industrialized when they were invented.

Airplanes were an indispensible part of the twentieth century, they for an indispensible part of the future.

ashurbanipal said:
Weren't you just arguing for the competence of people a few paragraphs back?

No. Most people are idiots.

ashurbanipal said:
If you acknowledge that oil did all this stuff, and that without it, we'd be living in a much less technologically oriented and less pleasant world, surely you're adducing arguments for my side of the case, not your own?

No. People once wore untanned deer skins and hunted with pointed sticks. Now we use sticks to point with and make our fabrics articificially. Oil has been a stepping stone and eventually it will be part of history. A few geniuses will see to that.

ashurbanipal said:
According to the BP statistical review of energy resources 2004, nuclear energy made up 13% of energy consumed in North America that year (mostly in Canada), and about 1% of energy consumed worldwide. We should scale it up to roughly 60% or so. Now, tell me we can do that in five years or so.

I don't have to. Your chicken-little harping on 5 years is simply wrong.

ashurbanipal said:
There's also a method of colonizing the moon, but if we had to move a billion people there in five years, could we do it--especially if most governments didn't realize that it was necessary or didn't care? It's as if you don't even bother reading those links I post, many of them from industry sources that have nothing whatever to do with the peak oil movement.

It's as if I'm supposed to believe your five year figure. I don't. That puts a whole new light on your arguments.

ashurbanipal said:
No, he makes a very convincing case that governments are at the beck and call of corporations, at least most of the time. Is that the fault of the people who live in those countries? If the CEO of Ford calls up the leader of Uganda and pays him to murder the people protesting the opening of a new plant, aren't both of them equally culpable?

Does Rod Serling show up and the end with a morality statement?

ashurbanipal said:
1) Americans have created the same social model in all but name, and in far more insidious manner.

2) Who cares what Americans think? My question goes above that--I'm asking what makes "What Americans think" correct? That seems to be your basis for judgement, but you've shown no reason we ought to take it as good. Clearly, a lot of indigenous populations would prefer white people pack up and leave.

Clearly you're having an identity crisis. I should leave you alone until you have it sorted out.

ashurbanipal said:
1) It was a rhetorical example.

2) I would think that any human being with any actual humanity would want to know whether such claims were true, and might consider it a valuable use of time to investigate them.

Oh, so my assumption that you were blowing brown smoke out your nether orifice was correct, and my decision that it would be a waste of time to bother with it was correct.

ashurbanipal said:
Yeah, but to get these people to industrialize, that's what you have to do because they don't want it.

Well, there's an easy thing to do if they don't want to industrialize.

Ignore them. When they starve, when they die of pandemics, when 80% of their children die before the age of two, recognize they've made a choice and ignore them completely. Since they won't be making demands on the world's energy supplies, they don't matter, do they?

ashurbanipal said:
Again, most folks living in less developed countries prior to the appearance of European colonists were getting along quite well.

Yeah, if you consider the typical lifespan was somewhere around thirty years, they were doing just fine.

I don't recall being asked if I thought European expansion was a good idea when I was acting as a consultant on Columbus's proposed short-cut, but you know how fickle memory can be.

ashurbanipal said:
You may think that their social models were savage or whatever, but until you can show a palpable reason why that judgement isn't just arbitrary, you haven't shown anything.

The judgement is perfectly arbitrary and perfectly correct. Arbirtariness doesn't exclude correctness.

ashurbanipal said:
1) Why do you think that socialism is the problem?

Socialism is always the problem in places where it exists. Duh. Everyone knows that.

ashurbanipal said:
2) Why do you think that wage control is a bad thing (at least you seem to imply as much)?

Because wages are defined by markets, not politicians. Duh. Everyone knows that.

ashurbanipal said:
3) Without having read the book, on what basis can you really judge?

Because I'm discussing his ideas with a convert. You've made it clear he's a socialist ideologue with a luddite agenda. Nuff said.

That's why democracy is such a silly idea. But when it comes to technical innovation, it's not the masses but the individual mind that counts, and exceptional individuals show up routinely.

1) By definition, exceptional individuals are not to be counted on routinely. They do show up, of course. But to bet your future on the appearance of one who will solve the coming energy crisis seems cavalier.

2) If you think democracy is a silly idea, and you also think totalitarianism is a bad idea, which political system do you support (if any)?

You're either not capable of grasping what I said or deliberately denying it. Which is it?

False dillema. If I haven't grasped your point, that says nothing of my ultimate ability to do so. Perhaps I haven't grasped it, but could do so if you stated it differently. Or perhaps you don't understand, or are intentionally ignoring, my counter point.

In any case, you seem to be saying that our abilities are vastly superior to those of animals. I agree. But the subject came up because of our biological and ecological limits. It's an undeniable fact, for instance, that people die of thirst after a few days without water. Technology may at best extend that limit for a few more days. In an environment without water, human beings can survive by so manipulating their environment as to make water available where it was not before. But if something happens to interrupt our ability to get water to a certain area, then the people who live there will either have to leave or die. If they can't leave, they will die. The only question is whether something will interrupt that ability, and what the effects of that happening will be.

Were those bacterial "germs" or virus "germs"?...you're cherry picking because you can't dodge the spear of my intent.

1) I have no intention to cherry pick.

2) That said, I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Viruses were discovered with optical microscopes as well, and the smallpox vaccine was invented in the late 18th century, whereas electron microscopes weren't invented until 1931.

You mean they could have made a million gallons of the stuff using 1550 technology? What would they use for thermometers and other quality control instruments?

1) Probably not in 1550. But it certainly could have been done in 1750, and certainly by the 1930's regardless of whether we were using oil or not. It's possible to mix up a gallon of the stuff in your kitchen, so long as you can find a specimen of the mold and know a little about how to cultivate it. It's a simple process.

2) Presumably, they'd have used thermometers as a fine substitute for, erm, thermometers. Thermometers have been available for a long time, and also don't require oil.

We know everything.

Ridiculous.

Because they've been proven to work? That's usually a good clue. It's not like there hasn't been a million fruit-cakes trying to make their own Dean Engine, you know. And the levitators and teleporters and the karmic transporters. Engineering works. We know that. The other stuff doesn't. We know that, too.

You're engaging in false dillema. The choice isn't between the knowledge we have now and a bunch of fruitcake wacko theories. There's plenty that we don't know.

Ah, the Luddite Strain finally emerges, and now we know your motivation. You wish we'd always stayed in the caves because someday maybe we have to go back to them.

1) Caves? No. Nor do I think we're headed back there.

2) I am not a Luddite--at least not in the sense that I automatically hate technology. In fact, I'm rather fond of technology, less fond of how some people use it.

Airplanes were an indispensible part of the twentieth century, they for an indispensible part of the future.

You mean, you think there wouldn't have been a 20th century without them? You think there won't be a future without them? Again, how is this arguing your side of the case at all?

Or do you just mean that history would have been different? If so, I agree.

No. People once wore untanned deer skins and hunted with pointed sticks. Now we use sticks to point with and make our fabrics articificially. Oil has been a stepping stone and eventually it will be part of history. A few geniuses will see to that.

Well, when they show up, let me know.

But I don't disagree, I just say that the particulars of that process are going to be very different than you say.

Your chicken-little harping on 5 years is simply wrong.

Of course, we can't know the future. However, I think the evidence points to a near-term oil peak. Past peak the opportunity to engage in this kind of project (buidling lots of nuclear reactors and retro-fitting our infrastructure) will diminish rapidly. For forecasts of a near-term peak, see:

www.peakoil.net Colin Campbell, PhD Oxford, former geologist for the Shell and BP oil companies.

http://www.sfu.ca/~asamsamb/sb.htm Samsam Bakhtiari, PhD Swiss Academy of Sciences, Senior advisor to the Iranian National Oil Company

http://www.princeton.edu/hubbert/ Kenneth Deffeyes, professor Emeritus at Princeton, PhD in Geology

http://www.energybulletin.net/9498.html Sadad Al-Husseini, former head of exploration and development for Saudi Aramco (the Saudi National Oil Company)

http://www.hubbertpeak.com/ Links to quite a few well-qualified people, and almost all of them claim a near-term peak.

Or you could try any of those links I posted earlier in this thread for Demosthenes. Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, Pemex, and BP all appear to forecast near-term peaks.

The range on all of these predictions is between 2005 to 2015. 2010 falls in the middle, and is now less than 5 years away.

It's as if I'm supposed to believe your five year figure. I don't.

Why don't you? I've shown plenty of evidence for it, you've shown none for any counter-claim.

Oh, so my assumption that you were blowing brown smoke out your nether orifice was correct, and my decision that it would be a waste of time to bother with it was correct.

Hardly. Do you have an actual response?

Ignore them. When they starve, when they die of pandemics, when 80% of their children die before the age of two, recognize they've made a choice and ignore them completely. Since they won't be making demands on the world's energy supplies, they don't matter, do they?

1) You think that a person's worth is dependent on their energy usage? Odd, that...

2) Prior to European Colonization, indigenous populations had no worse a time than Europeans themselves, and in many instances a much better time in terms of disease, famine, etc.

3) Indigenous people in some areas of the world (exactly those places where they endure it at all) now endure such conditions precisely because of the effects of colonization and industrialization. Again, read the book for supporting material. Also, Jarred Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel."

Yeah, if you consider the typical lifespan was somewhere around thirty years, they were doing just fine.

1) That was the lifespan reported annecdotally by European Settlers of the Americas and south Asia after smallpox and mumps that the Europeans had brought with them began to devastate the populations there. Because native populations typically saw no need to record actuarial statistics, data is difficult to come by.

2) Typical indigenous adult lifespans for people living a primitive lifestyle today are in the 50-60 years range, infanticide extracted. Still shorter than our average lifespan, but not too bad, either.

3) But interestingly, it's widely reported that indigenous populations living in industrialized areas have a much shorter lifespan than the overall populace in that area.

I don't recall being asked if I thought European expansion was a good idea when I was acting as a consultant on Columbus's proposed short-cut, but you know how fickle memory can be.

Huh? You're claiming to have consulted with Columbus? As in, Christopher Columbus, circa The Year of Our Lord 1492 A.D.? If not, I don't know what you mean.

The judgement is perfectly arbitrary and perfectly correct. Arbirtariness doesn't exclude correctness.

I doubt that's a tenable idea as applied in this case. But I'd be interested in any arguments you have for it.

Because wages are defined by markets, not politicians.

Even Adam Smith would not have thought so given our current economy. He was against the idea of a large corporation because it concentrated capital in a few hands who were not concerned about any given locale. The head of a large corporation, who in effect defines wages for her company, is a de facto politician in this sense. When a bunch of them get together, they mutually define the wages that will be paid, and generally do so towards the low side, with no regard for fairness in exchange for work done.

Because I'm discussing his ideas with a convert. You've made it clear he's a socialist ideologue with a luddite agenda.

1) Actually he's a libertarian with an agenda that's got nothing to do with Luddism, but you wouldn't know that unless you read the book. He believes that people in charge of large transnational corporations represent exactly the same kind of authority that politicians do, and are as subject to graft and corruption. It took him 20 years of trying your way before he began to realize this. His solution is not to stop industrialization, but rather to make it fair to the people involved.

ashurbanipal said:
1) By definition, exceptional individuals are not to be counted on routinely.

By definition, only exceptional people become scientists and engineers. As stated, the problems you're sweating over are simple engineering problems not requiring Einsteinian insights to solve.

You do understand the nature of the problems, right? I mean, there exists an industrial scale solution to extracting shale oil. Now. Patents applied for, capital being sought. That puts a trillion American barrels of oil equivalent on the market, in time. You say you've studied energy issues, yet you're ignorant of this. You're suffering from agenda-driven self-induced blindness.

The problem with methane ices is pressure, temperature, extraction costs, and sale price. Those issue WILL come together when demand drives price up. If demand does not drive price up, then by definition that resource is not needed. Economics.

ashurbanipal said:
2) If you think democracy is a silly idea, and you also think totalitarianism is a bad idea, which political system do you support (if any)?

Not relevant to this thread, the worm you have on that hook doesn't look like Jennifer Aniston, I'm not biting.

ashurbanipal said:
1) I have no intention to cherry pick.

Then get out of the orchard.

ashurbanipal said:
2) That said, I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Viruses were discovered with optical microscopes as well, and the smallpox vaccine was invented in the late 18th century, whereas electron microscopes weren't invented until 1931.

The smallpox innoculation was developed by a lunatic that tested it on himself. It was also done in complete ignorance of the germ theory of disease or any understanding of how the disease operated in the body or how it was spread. Regardless, without modern science, developed via modern industrial techniques, medicine would still have a heavy reliance on sky pixies for cures.

ashurbanipal said:
1) Probably not in 1550. But it certainly could have been done in 1750, and certainly by the 1930's regardless of whether we were using oil or not. It's possible to mix up a gallon of the stuff in your kitchen, so long as you can find a specimen of the mold and know a little about how to cultivate it. It's a simple process.

Nope. Absolutely no way to produce vast quantities of medicine without modern industrial and quality control methodology. How does one make hundreds of thousand gallon stainless steel vats without an established commercial demand for chromium? How is the process financed? There's an entire instustrial nation behind the existence of modern medicines. Because of the interwoven nature of that society, there's a demand for chromium outside of steel vats that makes chromium an affordable and commonly used mineral.

That's just the tankage. Shall we discuss what it takes to create a million tiny glass ampoules, a million hypodermic syringes, ten thousand trained nurses and a thousand trained doctors, the trucks, the trains, the ships, and the airplanes to deliver the gunk where the communications networks and informations systems say it has to go to be effective?

Welcome to the real world, enormously complex, impossible to replicate without an Industrial Revolution.

The one certain thing that can be said about making a million gallons of penicillin a gallon at a time on the wood stove in the kitchen is that no two gallons will be the same. And that guarantees that some patients will be poisoned, or will not recieve an effective dose, and DIE that wouldn't have to.

ashurbanipal said:
You're engaging in false dillema. The choice isn't between the knowledge we have now and a bunch of fruitcake wacko theories. There's plenty that we don't know.

Yeah, like effective methods of teaching people to recognize emotional agenda-driven pseudoscientific fear mongering.

ashurbanipal said:
1) Caves? No. Nor do I think we're headed back there.

Of course we are. Before the final members of the species succumb to the decline of industrial society, they'll have forgotten how to build their own houses and resume using what nature provides.

ashurbanipal said:
2) I am not a Luddite--at least not in the sense that I automatically hate technology. In fact, I'm rather fond of technology, less fond of how some people use it.

But you're insisting we limit energy use because the sky is falling.

ashurbanipal said:
You mean, you think there wouldn't have been a 20th century without them?

Not the one we saw. Things would be seriously different - and worse - if trains were still the fastest means of transport. It was the West's ability to control the skies that turned that century's wars in our favor. The bad guys had more men and better ground weapons.

ashurbanipal said:
You think there won't be a future without them?

Don't be silly, the future of the universe extends to a possibly infinite span.

ashurbanipal said:
But I don't disagree, I just say that the particulars of that process are going to be very different than you say.

I generously grant you the freedom to be wrong.

ashurbanipal said:
Of course, we can't know the future. However, I think the evidence points to a near-term oil peak. Past peak the opportunity to engage in this kind of project (buidling lots of nuclear reactors and retro-fitting our infrastructure) will diminish rapidly. For forecasts of a near-term peak, see:

www.peakoil.net Colin Campbell, PhD Oxford, former geologist for the Shell and BP oil companies.

Shell Oil was recently quoted in the Denver Rocky Mountain news that it was still uneconomical to extract shale oil, even though Oil-Tech has proven otherwise.

ashurbanipal said:
http://www.sfu.ca/~asamsamb/sb.htm Samsam Bakhtiari, PhD Swiss Academy of Sciences, Senior advisor to the Iranian National Oil Company

Website starts out with Chinese Proverb:

"If you cannot lift the stone, let it lie."

Americans have proverbs, too. Like,

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

China gave up on Pacific Exploration and the America's were discovored by Europeans. Americans are the only nation whose men have walked on the moon.

ashurbanipal said:
http://www.princeton.edu/hubbert/ Kenneth Deffeyes, professor Emeritus at Princeton, PhD in Geology

He's selling books. You getting a cut for posting this link?

ashurbanipal said:
http://www.energybulletin.net/9498.html Sadad Al-Husseini, former head of exploration and development for Saudi Aramco (the Saudi National Oil Company)
]

Unlike the other links I see, this one looks reasonably honest. It's also not going to support your chicken-liitlism as a consequence.

"Oil capacity today is not production limited but rather processing limited. That is to say, the DOE reports the world's refining capacity has leveled at around 83 mmbd for some time and refinery expansions are slow and costly. We have seen new downstream capacity investments average 300 mbd/year over the last several years. Doubling that rate would still put major changes in refinery expansions well into 2010 and beyond. Therefore the refinery capacities are now the effective ceiling for oil production."

So much for "oil peaking".

ashurbanipal said:
http://www.hubbertpeak.com/ Links to quite a few well-qualified people, and almost all of them claim a near-term peak.

If they're supporting a near-term "peak", they're well-qualified shills.

I always liked the crop circle researchers. When confronted with evidence that some people have confessed to making them and revealing their trade secrets, the "researchers" merely claim that other crop art can't be explained that way. The crop circle con artists have a living to make, after all.

ashurbanipal said:
Or you could try any of those links I posted earlier in this thread for Demosthenes. Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, Pemex, and BP all appear to forecast near-term peaks.

The range on all of these predictions is between 2005 to 2015. 2010 falls in the middle, and is now less than 5 years away.

Don't worry, a lot of people spent a lot of money getting ready for the Y2K Bug. They all lived through it, somehow, and they knew exactly when it was coming.

The Millerites breathlessly awaited the coming of October 22, 1843, the went back to work the next day. Jesus decided not to show up after all.

The fears in the 1970's about the coming ice age were fortuitously repreived by global warming panic.

But not to worry, every prediction in Paul Erlich's "Population Bomb" was wrong. I believe oil shortages was one of them.

ashurbanipal said:
Hardly. Do you have an actual response?

You've been getting it, plus sarcasm icing, for free. Some people pay to be educated by me. Feel honored.

ashurbanipal said:
1) You think that a person's worth is dependent on their energy usage? Odd, that...

Clearly if you're having palpitations over the alleged mismatch between demand and discovery of oil, people who don't consume oil aren't on your radar screen. You can twist the rest of it any way you like, my words are able to not only stand on their own, but they can walk around if you want them to.

ashurbanipal said:
2) Prior to European Colonization, indigenous populations had no worse a time than Europeans themselves, and in many instances a much better time in terms of disease, famine, etc.

And all those societies lacked what Europe had grown, a nascent scientific method that was about to explode the West's technological abilities beyond anything ever seen before. It was a quantum leap past every preceding culture.

But you know what? It doesn't matter, because the thread isn't comparative sociology but filling the gas tank in 2011.

ashurbanipal said:
3) Indigenous people in some areas of the world (exactly those places where they endure it at all) now endure such conditions precisely because of the effects of colonization and industrialization. Again, read the book for supporting material. Also, Jarred Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel."

If you want me to apologize for the history of the world, you'll have to pay for it.

ashurbanipal said:
1) That was the lifespan reported annecdotally by European Settlers of the Americas and south Asia after smallpox and mumps that the Europeans had brought with them began to devastate the populations there. Because native populations typically saw no need to record actuarial statistics, data is difficult to come by.

No, that's the life span of all typical pre-industrial societies. Child mortality, accidents, diseases, and wars all contribute to knocking off people young.

ashurbanipal said:
2) Typical indigenous adult lifespans for people living a primitive lifestyle today are in the 50-60 years range, infanticide extracted. Still shorter than our average lifespan, but not too bad, either.

See, there ya go, fudging the numbers. Personally, I count infants as people and consider them valid data points on the cultural mortality curve.

ashurbanipal said:
3) But interestingly, it's widely reported that indigenous populations living in industrialized areas have a much shorter lifespan than the overall populace in that area.

Obviously if they became fully integrated in the industrial society they'll be actuarily indistinct from others also integrated. Does your data represent those people not fully integrated, the stereotypical redskin that can't handle the fire water, or the clan that rejects the new ways and thus refuses modern medicine? Clearly there's parameters you're not addressing here. And, again, it's not relevant to oil demand.

ashurbanipal said:
Huh? You're claiming to have consulted with Columbus? As in, Christopher Columbus, circa The Year of Our Lord 1492 A.D.? If not, I don't know what you mean.

Oh, my intent was pretty obvious.

ashurbanipal said:
Even Adam Smith would not have thought so given our current economy.

So? Correct wages are set by markets. Elimiante the market in wages, and distort the market at the other end. End of story.

If you think some bleeding heart or vote buyer can alter the laws of economics, you think they can levitate six inches above the floor.

ashurbanipal said:
1) Actually he's a libertarian with an agenda that's got nothing to do with Luddism, but you wouldn't know that unless you read the book. He believes that people in charge of large transnational corporations represent exactly the same kind of authority that politicians do, and are as subject to graft and corruption. It took him 20 years of trying your way before he began to realize this. His solution is not to stop industrialization, but rather to make it fair to the people involved.

Ah. Fair. That's in interesting concept. Bet you can't define it.

ashurbanipal,
Don't worry about this guy, he is obviously beyond reason. This thread has evolved into nothing more than a compilation of his sacastic remarks, (unsupported) assertations, unrelated rants, insults, and personal attacks on both you and respected members of the scientific, geologic, and insdustrial community. These are his only counterpoints to your reasoned and supported arguements. This is blatently obvious to anyone who views the full contents of this thread. I would judge by the continued nonresponce of other supporters of his position that everyone else who has formally participated in this debate has viewed the links you have posted and realized the validity of your position. As the person who also notified the members of peakoil.com to this debate, I urge you to stop wasting your time with this lemming. After all, is their any hope for one who derides the statements of geologist, economists, the major oil companies, and Princeton professors for as little as having a proverb on their website (see the last post)? Anyone rational person who views this thread with an open mind cannot help but see the validity of peak oil, you have done your duty, thank you.

scarecrow
The premise of peak oil is simple. The world faces a peak in oil production despite and continued demand for more and more oil globally. This will cause a drastic rise in the price of oil and everything affected by oil, eg everything. While there are solutions being developed to curtail these effects, their implimentation into a global industrial economy on a scale to replace oil will become increasingly difficult with each passing year. This creates the possiblity of recession and chaos worldwide. This is not about human imagination for solving the problem, it is about implimenting the solutions to prevent a global economic crisis

Back
Top Bottom