• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio lawmakers override John Kasich's gun bill veto

Common Sense 1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
A important win for legal gun owners in Ohio. The veto was a big mistake that
will follow Kasich if he decides to run for another office.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ohio-lawmakers-override-john-kasichs-gun-bill-veto

The state Senate in Ohio has overridden a veto from Gov. John Kasich on a gun proposal that pushes the burden of proof to prosecutors in shootings involving self-defense.

The Republican governor on Dec. 20 vetoed House Bill 228. The state Senate then convened after Christmas session and the GOP-majority chamber overrode Kasich's veto.

H.B. 228 makes several changes to Ohio's law regarding firearms. One of the most notable involves adjudication of self-defense shooting cases. The burden is now pushed from defendants to prosecutors to show the accused did not use their weapons "in self-defense, defense of another, or defense of that person's residence."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ohio-lawmakers-override-john-kasichs-gun-bill-veto

The state Senate in Ohio has overridden a veto from Gov. John Kasich on a gun proposal that pushes the burden of proof to prosecutors in shootings involving self-defense.

The Republican governor on Dec. 20 vetoed House Bill 228. The state Senate then convened after Christmas session and the GOP-majority chamber overrode Kasich's veto.

H.B. 228 makes several changes to Ohio's law regarding firearms. One of the most notable involves adjudication of self-defense shooting cases. The burden is now pushed from defendants to prosecutors to show the accused did not use their weapons "in self-defense, defense of another, or defense of that person's residence."

This is good news. Cities shouldn't be allowed to **** on the 2nd amendment. Seeing how Kasich thinks cities should be allowed to **** on the 2nd amendment it shows that he is not pro-2nd amendment. The prosecution should have to be the one disprove that the self defense claims. Requiring the defendant to prove it was self defense seems akin to requiring the accused to prove innocence instead of the prosecution being required to prove guilt.

This is good news. Cities shouldn't be allowed to **** on the 2nd amendment. Seeing how Kasich thinks cities should be allowed to **** on the 2nd amendment it shows that he is not pro-2nd amendment. The prosecution should have to be the one disprove that the self defense claims. Requiring the defendant to prove it was self defense seems akin to requiring the accused to prove innocence instead of the prosecution being required to prove guilt.

Did you read what he wrote?

Did you read what he wrote?

Yes I read what he wrote. It still does not change what I said. It should be the prosecutor's job to prove guilt and local municipalities shouldn't be allowed to infringe on the 2nd amendment. Requiring the accused to prove self defense amounts to requiring the accused to prove their innocence while the prosecution doesn't have to prove guilt. All the state laws he enacted that he claims supports the person's right to bear arms doesn't mean a thing is cities and counties can enact local laws that override that.

Last edited:
Yes I read what he wrote. It should be the prosecutor's job to prove guilt and local municipalities shouldn't be allowed to infringe on the 2nd amendment.

Why do you think Kasich is against protecting the 2nd? His record indicates the opposite.

Why do you think Kasich is against protecting the 2nd? His record indicates the opposite.

All the state laws he enacted that he claims supports the person's right to bear arms doesn't mean a thing if cities and counties can enact local laws that override that. Anyone who for protecting the 2nd amendment would never allow counties and cities to infringe the 2nd amendment.

All the state laws he enacted that he claims supports the person's right to bear arms doesn't mean a thing if cities and counties can enact local laws that override that. Anyone who for protecting the 2nd amendment would never allow counties and cities to infringe the 2nd amendment.

For transparency's sake, my husband and I are pro 2nd.
IMO, Kasich wasn't trying to infringe one the 2nd, he was merely shifting the burden of proof. Ok, you may argue that he is doing it for political reasons, but even that is debatable.

Requiring defendants to prove innocents is awfully close to requiring property to prove it wasn't used in commission of a crime, or acquired through illegal means, which happens to be the cornerstone of all asset forfeiture laws. Human beings are innocent till proven guilty but property, especially large cash, is guilty till proven innocent. Gun laws should rest on a foundation that presumes the law abiding gun owner innocent until proven guilty, especially if they are already within their rights with regard to a shooting occurring on or inside their own property.

Kasich's veto would have allowed a situation where laws could erode a law abiding person's 2A rights far too much.

IMO, Kasich wasn't trying to infringe one the 2nd,

Kasich wanting to allow cities and counties to enact their own gun control laws means those towns and counties and thumb can their nose at all the allegedly pro-2nd amendment laws he enacted or supposedly allowed to pass. Anti-2nd amendment groups like the Brady Campaign love this because pro-2nd amendment laws at the state level don't mean squat when cities and states can squash those pro-2nd amendment laws.

he was merely shifting the burden of proof.

The burden of proving innocence should not be on the accused. Kasich is saying the accused should have to prove innocence instead of the prosecutor proving guilt when he thinks those who use a firearm to defend themselves should be the ones to prove it was for defense.

I'll take what I can get. We still need to remove the Duty to Retreat, force of law behind gun buster signs, and the Duty to Inform LEOs.

Kasich is a lot like other pompous politicians, like Joe Biden and other prominent democrats, who stupidly think they are the most qualified to lead Americans in the way they should be forced by the 'supreme' government to go. In other words, they feel they should be chosen by voters to ascend on high to reign over less intelligent voters needing their superior wisdom and guidance.

IMO, Kasich wasn't trying to infringe one the 2nd, he was merely shifting the burden of proof. Ok, you may argue that he is doing it for political reasons, but even that is debatable.

in 1994 Kasich originally voted against the idiotic clinton gun ban but Clinton got him to change his vote when Clinton promised to sign the Penney-Kasich reconciliation bill. Kave in Kasich is what many of us in Ohio started calling Quisling John.

I'll take what I can get. We still need to remove the Duty to Retreat, force of law behind gun buster signs, and the Duty to Inform LEOs.

I'll go along with #1. I don't understand what #2 means, and #3 is foolish because law enforcement should have every right to know if you're armed.

I don't understand what #2 means
In Ohio, if a business posts a 'no guns allowed' sign, one commits a crime simply by not seeing it and entering the store. Even if the business owner would like to exept a specific person, they cannot, because it is a legal gun-free-zone just like any school or post office.

Removing 'force of law' makes gun-buster signs like 'no shoes no service' signs, a civil issue.

and #3 is foolish because law enforcement should have every right to know if you're armed.
The law does not require someone who is carrying illegally to inform the cop. Only innocent people are legally required. Read the actual text of the law and explain to me how that makes sense.

in 1994 Kasich originally voted against the idiotic clinton gun ban but Clinton got him to change his vote when Clinton promised to sign the Penney-Kasich reconciliation bill. Kave in Kasich is what many of us in Ohio started calling Quisling John.

How he ever got a good grade from the NRA amazes me.

He voted against this bill.
HR 125 - Gun Ban Repeal Act of 1995
https://www.congress.gov/bill/104th-congress/house-bill/125/text

He voted for this bill.
HR 4296 - Regulation of Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons
https://www.congress.gov/bill/103rd-congress/house-bill/4296/text

This is the turd that is to become Ukraine’s next president?

Good for the lawmakers to override an unconstitutional veto.

Back
Top Bottom