• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ohio lawmaker to propose ban on GOP adoption

bnr65432

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/nation/13945272.htm

Funny, but it also proves a good point. As the recent study elsewhere on this forum shows there are negative effects of conservatism which are most likely much worse than any that could result from being adopted by a homosexual.

Ohio lawmaker to propose ban on GOP adoption
BY CARL CHANCELLOR
Knight Ridder Newspapers
AKRON, Ohio - If an Ohio lawmaker's proposal becomes state law, Republicans would be barred from being adoptive parents.

State Sen. Robert Hagan sent out e-mails to fellow lawmakers late Wednesday night, stating that he intends to "introduce legislation in the near future that would ban households with one or more Republican voters from adopting children or acting as foster parents." The e-mail ended with a request for co-sponsorship.

On Thursday, the Youngstown Democrat said he had not yet found a co-sponsor.

Hagan said his "tongue was planted firmly in cheek" when he drafted the proposed legislation. However, Hagan said that the point he is trying to make is nonetheless very serious.

Hagan said his legislation was written in response to a bill introduced in the Ohio House this month by state Rep. Ron Hood, R-Ashville, that is aimed at prohibiting gay adoption.

more at link

:rofl Shows how silly the bigotry of the fundie conservative moralists truly is.

Well I find that insulting. I vote Republican and I wouldn't ban gay couples from adopting. I would choose married straight couples for child placement first because I believe having a male and female role model in the home is healthy and ideal. However if there are more children needing homes than there are hetero couples looking to adopt I see no problem with letting gay, lesbian, or single parent families take in children.

I think they should be careful when they make their "tongue in cheek" jokes because they may be doing more harm then good and offending those who support their cause.

You can't fight prejudice with prejudice. You would think a group of people who are trying to battle stereotypes wouldn't make them. Sad.

talloulou said:
Well I find that insulting. I vote Republican and I wouldn't ban gay couples from adopting. I would choose married straight couples for child placement first because I believe having a male and female role model in the home is healthy and ideal. However if there are more children needing homes than there are hetero couples looking to adopt I see no problem with letting gay and lesbian families take in children.

I think they should be careful when they make their "tongue in cheek" jokes because they may be doing more harm then good and offending those who support their cause.
Well, you haven't been supportive enough to stop those who push the bans, have you now?

steen said:
Well, you haven't been supportive enough to stop those who push the bans, have you now?

What the hell do you know about what I've done and haven't done? And for your information I use to subscribe to Rosie O'Donnel's magazine back in the day....does that count???

Seriously though I would not vote on legislation to ban gay couples from adopting. I also speak out whenever I hear gay bashing of any type whether it be about adoption or something else.....So what's your point?

talloulou said:
What the hell do you know about what I've done and haven't done? And for your information I use to subscribe to Rosie O'Donnel's magazine back in the day....does that count???

Seriously though I would not vote on legislation to ban gay couples from adopting. I also speak out whenever I hear gay bashing of any type whether it be about adoption or something else.....So what's your point?

I agree, this is just political posturing, and it does not help at all, in fact, it just divides us all further.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and that's assuming that it's wrong to prevent gays from adopting.

Deegan said:
I agree, this is just political posturing, and it does not help at all, in fact, it just divides us all further.
What REALLY divides us are the social conservatives who push laws like this to begin with, seeking to oppress others. Fighting back against such blatant bigotry is not divisive, it is self-defense againt the "culture war" whom the conservatives seem hellbend on pushing, leading to a "culture civil war." What else would conservatives expect? We would sit back and let fundies run roughshot over our lives with no comment because that would be "divisive"?

Until those looney hate mongers are marginalized, yes you are damn right we will be divided. As long as a group seeks to impose themselves into others lives, there will be division?

You want it to stop? Then sweep before your own door and marginalize these types instead of handing them the keys to your leadership council.

mpg said:
Two wrongs don't make a right,
Then stop the wrongs being pushed by the conservatives.

and that's assuming that it's wrong to prevent gays from adopting.
Of course it is. It is flagrant bigotry, it is hate mongering Civil War mongering.

talloulou said:
That you criticize the ones who objected to the bigotry to begin with.

Do you have ANY doubt this push against homosexual adoptions comes from inside the republican party? YOU obviously support the party, and thus its actions. What have YOU done to stop your party politics from becoming such flagrantly bigoted? Given that you attack those who object, I am frankly not so sure.

steen said:
Given that you attack those who object, I am frankly not so sure.

I don't attack those that object. I object to those who generalize and attack me though I have done no wrong.

Last edited:
steen said:
What REALLY divides us are the social conservatives who push laws like this to begin with, seeking to oppress others. Fighting back against such blatant bigotry is not divisive, it is self-defense againt the "culture war" whom the conservatives seem hellbend on pushing, leading to a "culture civil war." What else would conservatives expect? We would sit back and let fundies run roughshot over our lives with no comment because that would be "divisive"?

Until those looney hate mongers are marginalized, yes you are damn right we will be divided. As long as a group seeks to impose themselves into others lives, there will be division?

You want it to stop? Then sweep before your own door and marginalize these types instead of handing them the keys to your leadership council.

While that was an impassioned speech, it says very little about me, conservatives, or even the religious right. Those "Loony hate mongers" those are a very small minority, and it is indeed the leftist propaganda you spew forth, that keeps us rational people apart. I refuse to allow it, I will not allow you to pigeon hole me in to some kind of blind, partisan, irrational religious sect, or part of the tiny minority of conservative Republicans that follow a Pat Roberts....:roll:

Neither of us have the power to hand anyone, any keys, so let's not pretend the other does not know how ridiculous that argument is. I prove myself here daily, and I have always spoken out about extremists from both sides, I have yet to see your broom in action, perhaps I missed it?:roll:

I think it’s an awesome idea, wish I’d thought of it first. He’s fairly upfront about there not being a chance in hell this bill will pass, so wtf are people being offended by it? He’s being satirical about how the Republicans are arbitrarily singling out gays/bis/transsexuals simply because they don’t like them. There is no scientific evidence saying that they make bad parents; and I’m sure we can all agree that any parent is better than none. If you’re going to adopt, you’ve got to fill out a shitload of paperwork and essentially provide proof that you’re financially capable of supporting the child. It isn’t like we’re letting pedophiles and rapists adopt children. Just because someone might be gay/bi/transgendered doesn’t mean we’re relaxing any of the standards that truly matter.

If you are offended by Hagan’s bill, I think you need to take a long hard look at your feelings of offense. Seriously, you need to contemplate how and why you feel so indignant about being singled out for this discrimination. Have that bitter, seething anger in the forefront of your mind? Good. That is the exact feeling gays/bis/transsexuals get when hearing about bills that discriminate against them because some prejudiced idiot and his bigoted constituents.

talloulou said:
I object to those who generalize and attack me though I have done no wrong.
EXACTLY!!! Now why don't you do something to stop those in your party who are doing just that?

Last edited:
talloulou said:
I don't attack those that object. I object to those who generalize and attack me though I have done no wrong.
Didn't you attack this guy for his law proposal?

Deegan said:
While that was an impassioned speech, it says very little about me, conservatives, or even the religious right.
It says about you that you spoke against those who support the democratic counter bill as being "divisive" while NOT speaking about what REALLY is divisive, namely the original GOP bill.

Those "Loony hate mongers" those are a very small minority,
If they were a "very small minority" then they wouldn't have any legislative power. And we both know this is not the case.

and it is indeed the leftist propaganda you spew forth, that keeps us rational people apart.
And a bill that ban's homosexuals from adopting, that just makes everybody feeling warm and fuzzy and ready for a group hug, right?

You chose to NOT speak out against the GOP bill, but instead spoke out against those who did not take it lying down, calling us "divisive." YOUR party is doing the division here.

I refuse to allow it, I will not allow you to pigeon hole me in to some kind of blind, partisan, irrational religious sect, or part of the tiny minority of conservative Republicans that follow a Pat Roberts....
So, could you please tell em what minority pushed this bill to prohibit gay adoption? What tiny minority is it that can push such a bill within your party? I think you have simply blinded yourself against the reality of how truly powerful these divisive and hate mongering types are. You have been so blinded that you instead speak up against those who object to this attack from the right wing culture warriors.

But as I said, as long as these types persist in threatening others freedom, the climate will be divisive. If you don't like my tone, perhaps you should have looked at why I am posting about these things, at what the party does in your name.

Neither of us have the power to hand anyone, any keys, so let's not pretend the other does not know how ridiculous that argument is.
Everybody have the power to affect their own political party. Certainly, when you do NOT speak up against such bigotry as is in the anti-gay law, you are letting them do just that in your name. And when you then attack those who object instead, then you are at least publicly throwing your lot with these radicals. "My party right or wrong" doesn't give you much credibility as a crusader for civil rights and liberty.

I prove myself here daily, and I have always spoken out about extremists from both sides,
Not in this case. though.

I have yet to see your broom in action, perhaps I missed it?:roll:
I always go in action where the bullies attack the persecuted. Where did I miss doing that?

I personally believe this whole issue is a put on.............

steen said:
Didn't you attack this guy for his law proposal?

YEAH, 'cause his lawsuit is not only stupid its derogatory.....just like the majority of your posts STEEN

You know the ones where you don't have anything rational to say so you just start whining

"Liar

Liar

Your all Liars......"

or the ones where you just refuse to acknowledge the obvious until the person that is debating with you just finally gives up 'cause there really isn't any point in mindlessly banging your head against the wall now is there?

:bravo:

Befuddled_Stoner said:
If you are offended by Hagan’s bill, I think you need to take a long hard look at your feelings of offense. Seriously, you need to contemplate how and why you feel so indignant about being singled out for this discrimination.

Look if you go to the religous thread "What do you think about gays" you will see that I have been arguing with anti-gay religous folk before this thread ever was. I don't tolerate gay bashing in any shape or form and I'm a Republican.

But you know what maybe it's not ALL on us moderate Republicans to change the minds of more extreme right wingers. Plus where is the proof that there aren't tons of homophobic democrats? Sure the Democrats supposedly have the gay/lesbian vote, but why? Really? Do any of the big Democrats come out screaming for gay/lesbian rights? I haven't seen them. They seem to avoid the issue if you ask me. John Kerry never came out strong on the issue if anything he was wishy washy and you couldn't really count on what was gonna come out of his mouth next.

If gays and lesbians want to get the attention of people who can be compassionate to their 'cause they need to speak in a way that promotes a raising of consciousness. You can insult a whole lot of people and then turn around and complain that noone gives a crap about your rights but at that point most will already have tuned you out. If there are two sides and one has a message of hate and the other doesn't good people won't stay on the hateful side for long. But you know what?...... If both sides are spewing hate and filth it's easier to just ignore them. Just walk away without giving a second thought to either of them.

[

Last edited:
Yeah, I can admit its stupid sensationalism, and likely to alienate the people who most need to hear it. I suppose that watching Republicans yank their constituents’ heartstrings in directions tangential to the nucleus of their actual policies…..it just frustrates Democrats to the point of wanting to thump them (the voters) in the forehead and say “STOP BEING SO STUPID!!!” I’m sure the Republicans are overjoyed at making Hagan loose his political poise, because now they can truncate his sarcastic message from the manner it was presented and lambaste him with one-liner attack ads.

I agree about how to actually forward gay rights. If they want to make any gains, they’ll have to do it MLK style. Smacking the Republicans and reflecting their bigotry right back at them isn’t gonna accomplish much. It’s a real pity that the Democrats won’t actually step up for the gays for fear of isolating the homophobic segments of the Centrists.

I think Hagan's proposed bill was more about striking back in frustration at Republican glibness than anything else. Democrats can't hope to match it, so they feel all sour grapes about stupid people voting single-issue on matters that have no real impact on their lives.

Hmmm, I like the way that sounds. Maybe I'll put that as my signature for a few days.

Last edited:
steen said:
It says about you that you spoke against those who support the democratic counter bill as being "divisive" while NOT speaking about what REALLY is divisive, namely the original GOP bill.

If they were a "very small minority" then they wouldn't have any legislative power. And we both know this is not the case.

And a bill that ban's homosexuals from adopting, that just makes everybody feeling warm and fuzzy and ready for a group hug, right?

You chose to NOT speak out against the GOP bill, but instead spoke out against those who did not take it lying down, calling us "divisive." YOUR party is doing the division here.

So, could you please tell em what minority pushed this bill to prohibit gay adoption? What tiny minority is it that can push such a bill within your party? I think you have simply blinded yourself against the reality of how truly powerful these divisive and hate mongering types are. You have been so blinded that you instead speak up against those who object to this attack from the right wing culture warriors.

But as I said, as long as these types persist in threatening others freedom, the climate will be divisive. If you don't like my tone, perhaps you should have looked at why I am posting about these things, at what the party does in your name.

Everybody have the power to affect their own political party. Certainly, when you do NOT speak up against such bigotry as is in the anti-gay law, you are letting them do just that in your name. And when you then attack those who object instead, then you are at least publicly throwing your lot with these radicals. "My party right or wrong" doesn't give you much credibility as a crusader for civil rights and liberty.

Not in this case. though.

I always go in action where the bullies attack the persecuted. Where did I miss doing that?

You obviously have more talent for theatrics, and empty verbiage, then you have for the inner workings of the Congress. This is one law maker, from one state, representing one district. His proposal is obviously a reflection of his tiny district, and this is far from a "GOP" problem, this is an American problem. As I said before, this is just designed to divide us further, and neither proposal stands a chance at becoming law, it's a waste of taxpayers time. You would like to turn this in to a much bigger issue then it is, that's your right, but It will not stop me from pointing out the obvious, this congressmen does not speak for all Republicans. You only need to look at the polls on this very issue, and on this very forum, to see that this is not how the majority of Republicans feel about homosexuals being allowed to adopt. You would think you would at least do your homework, before making yourself look ridiculous here. If you did bother to research this issue, you would even have found that I am in favor of allowing gays to adopt, and have made that clear, thus doing my part.

So please, in the future, try and choose your battles more carefully, you could end up arguing with someone who agrees with you, and that's never very attractive, not to mention intelligent.;)

This tongue in cheek bill helps point out the ludicrous nature of the wedge issues that the GOP uses as their main strategy to divide and conquer, and to bring the bigoted, homophobic members of their party to the polls.

The sad thing is that it has worked...

hipsterdufus said:
This tongue in cheek bill helps point out the ludicrous nature of the wedge issues that the GOP uses as their main strategy to divide and conquer, and to bring the bigoted, homophobic members of their party to the polls.

The sad thing is that it has worked...

That is assuming that only Republicans have a homophobia issue, that could not be more ridiculous, or inaccurate.

Deegan said:
You obviously have more talent for theatrics, and empty verbiage, then you have for the inner workings of the Congress. This is one law maker, from one state, representing one district. His proposal is obviously a reflection of his tiny district, and this is far from a "GOP" problem, this is an American problem. As I said before, this is just designed to divide us further, and neither proposal stands a chance at becoming law, it's a waste of taxpayers time. You would like to turn this in to a much bigger issue then it is, that's your right, but It will not stop me from pointing out the obvious, this congressmen does not speak for all Republicans. You only need to look at the polls on this very issue, and on this very forum, to see that this is not how the majority of Republicans feel about homosexuals being allowed to adopt. You would think you would at least do your homework, before making yourself look ridiculous here. If you did bother to research this issue, you would even have found that I am in favor of allowing gays to adopt, and have made that clear, thus doing my part.

So please, in the future, try and choose your battles more carefully, you could end up arguing with someone who agrees with you, and that's never very attractive, not to mention intelligent.;)

I appreciate your position, Deegan, but you must realize that in many conservative strongholds, the issue of gay marriage is very "hot button." Just as much as abortion in some cases. Living in a place like Chicago where everyone is thrown together people generally develop more tolerance for diversity. In the many small towns throughout the Bible Belt this is not the case and many people in those areas take the fight against gay marriage and other gay equal rights issues very, very seriously.

Deegan said:
You obviously have more talent for theatrics, and empty verbiage, then you have for the inner workings of the Congress.
Ah, talking to the mirror, eh?

This is one law maker, from one state, representing one district. His proposal is obviously a reflection of his tiny district, and this is far from a "GOP" problem, this is an American problem.
This is one of the big fund raising issues in any branch of the GOP. Your denial is ludicrous.

As I said before, this is just designed to divide us further, and neither proposal stands a chance at becoming law, it's a waste of taxpayers time.
Just like the homophobic hate mongering of the GOP. What, you didn't think the "culture war" would be divisive?

You would like to turn this in to a much bigger issue then it is, that's your right, but It will not stop me from pointing out the obvious, this congressmen does not speak for all Republicans.
Funny how the very real observation that anything coming out of the republican party with regard to homosexuals is about restriction and persecution. You are full of it. Frankly, I see you are spouting denial of a very real problem that you obviously have decided to not acknowledge even though it is right under your own nose.

YOU have a much bigger chance at affecting republican policies than I do, and yet you are denying there is a problem.

And then you have the audacity of attacking those who object to the hate mongering oppression as being "divisive."

Shame on you

You only need to look at the polls on this very issue, and on this very forum, to see that this is not how the majority of Republicans feel about homosexuals being allowed to adopt.
So where is the republican bill pushing for this to be allowed, particularly in light of activist judges like the one with the Ten Commandments deal (forgot his name) who took away kids from a lesbian mother.

Funny, I must have missed where the GOP took action to provide security for homosexual parents to not have their kids stolen or be denied having them in the first place, all because your proclaimed minority of homophobes in your party are obviously not having any power, right?

WHERE is your legislation? No? So this majority you are talking about, that sure is a silent one. One with no integrity, denying that there is a problem and not taking action to reign in the hate mongering of their minority.

You would think you would at least do your homework, before making yourself look ridiculous here. If you did bother to research this issue, you would even have found that I am in favor of allowing gays to adopt, and have made that clear, thus doing my part.
Ah, so you and that big majority of GOP who are not homophobic, they have shut down this minority's ability to pander to hate and bigotry, right?

Damn, I must have missed it.

Your denial is not my problem. If you agree with me and is in a position to do something about a problem, then I most certainly will call you on it if you deny the problem.

Does that surprise you? Did you think I have so little integrity as not pointing out where those I agree with are doing wrong? Hell no, I am not a republican after all.

Back
Top Bottom