• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Ohio has open carry. What can go wrong?

yeah, everyone anywhere near the RNC should be frisked for weapons of any kind. honestly, they should block every street around the convention with vehicle-proof barriers, as well. enough of this tragic ****. can we just have a ****ing election with two horrible candidates without killing any of either side's misguided supporters or the police officers who are trying to protect them?

Before the latest shootings in Baton Rouge, I was thinking there should be a temporary ban on open carry around the RNC. Now I think it's imperative.

Cops are targets right now. We have an obligation to them to do what we can to address their fears. We need a temporary ban on open carry around the RNC immediately.

If I were a LEO assigned to police the RNC, I would insist on it. We cannot just throw law enforcement into the lion's den.

Not sure about Ohio, but in North Carolina our police can go to a judge and get a declaration of an "Extraordinary Event" which gives them the power to restrict open carry, alcohol sales, a number of other restrictions, and allows them to do random searches without probable cause as long as the public is notified of that prior to entering the area. The area - that means that it has to be defined in the orders as a specific area - from this intersection to that intersection and including these blocks of a city, such as parts of downtown during conventions. I don't have a problem with this, because 1) it's a limited area, 2) it's a limited time, 3) they have to give notice to the public before they enter so they can choose to come in or not, and 4) that a judge has to review and approve this like a warrant.

I call Bull****. I have dealt with more than my fair share of officers on a routine basis over 20 years, not a one ever considered my comfort. I deal with officers of some stripe at least once a month. More so when I was dealing with over dimensional projects.

When dealing with LEO, you might try cooling your rhetoric. I find that helps.

How ironic. I have the same opinion of your attitude on the subject as you do mine.

I find the police have enough coddling as is, no need for more.

Realize you don't care, but I have no respect for that position in our current environment. Next time you're in trouble, perhaps you should call 666.

Until it is your local PD that decides that they would "feel much safer" if guns were banned where you live, work or shop. I noticed that you still allowed CCW - perhaps so you could keep your own gun handy? ;)

Part of our gift as human beings is our ability to use discernment. It is wrong to send cops out amidst hundreds of armed people, rifles slung on shoulders, six-guns strapped on their belts . . . CRITICIZE them for looking like storm troopers and fail to have sympathy for the situation they find themselves in.

I do see the union has called on the governor to do exactly what I'm suggesting. He says he cannot and will not. At least the union spoke up for their membership. I don't like public sector unions. In this cas, I fully agree with their decision to put the safety of officers first.

Because those who choose to shoot cops are going to be stopped by a sign saying "No Guns"?

There's no doubt that the current environment makes for a tense situation for both the police and the event participants but crazy, homicidal people do what they do without regard for the law.

I don't even think the PUBLIC is safe. Cops are going to be on edge. Bad things comin'.

Common sense is stone cold dead.

Not sure about Ohio, but in North Carolina our police can go to a judge and get a declaration of an "Extraordinary Event" which gives them the power to restrict open carry, alcohol sales, a number of other restrictions, and allows them to do random searches without probable cause as long as the public is notified of that prior to entering the area. The area - that means that it has to be defined in the orders as a specific area - from this intersection to that intersection and including these blocks of a city, such as parts of downtown during conventions. I don't have a problem with this, because 1) it's a limited area, 2) it's a limited time, 3) they have to give notice to the public before they enter so they can choose to come in or not, and 4) that a judge has to review and approve this like a warrant.

Finally! A common sense approach. Thank you for that information.

I'm guessing Ohio doesn't have that legislation. The governor said he can't do what they're asking.

Ought to have some Blue Flu come tomorrow.

yeah, everyone anywhere near the RNC should be frisked for weapons of any kind. honestly, they should block every street around the convention with vehicle-proof barriers, as well. enough of this tragic ****. can we just have a ****ing election with two horrible candidates without killing any of either side's misguided supporters or the police officers who are trying to protect them?

Exactly.

IMO at least half of that is unconstitutional. Specifically, restricting open carry and illegal search and seizure.

IMO at least half of that is unconstitutional. Specifically, restricting open carry and illegal search and seizure.

Possibly, and I don't disagree. I just don't have a major problem with it because of the same reasons that its been upheld in court - Its been challenged in court and been upheld because of its limits on length of time and area covered, as well as having to be approved by a judge.

Finally! A common sense approach. Thank you for that information.

I'm guessing Ohio doesn't have that legislation. The governor said he can't do what they're asking.

Ought to have some Blue Flu come tomorrow.

Here's the local Charlotte Ordinance that they've been using since 2012, and was enacted in January of 2012, before the DNC Convention took place. They've used this ordinance for the CIAA college basketball tournament (historically black colleges) each year since then, as well as other major events.

Possibly, and I don't disagree. I just don't have a major problem with it because of the same reasons that its been upheld in court - Its been challenged in court and been upheld because of its limits on length of time and area covered, as well as having to be approved by a judge.

I have a problem with anything Unconstitutional. Infringed is infringed.

From Retired General Honore today, of Hurricane Katrina fame in New Orleans (you can't fix stupid!):

Retired Army Lt. General Russel Honore, who's from Baton Rouge scolded "open carry" gun laws and told CNN's Anderson Cooper that "open carry laws are driving the police crazy" and "they are on full alert"

He was asked to discuss today's horrific police shooting and explain the mood in the city after the Alton Sterling shooting.

He explained, "The tension, you could cut it with a knife and there was just another incident with a person coming through, telling the police he had a gun in the car and it started almost another incident of getting him out of the car and securing the gun."

So we almost had another shooting incident because of our gun laws.

General Honore continued, "This open carry is gonna drive the American police crazy."

"This is absolutely crazy. To think you can carry a gun anywhere, anytime because it's putting the police hyped up and then people get confused. I don't know how they are going to handle this mess in the convention. It's totally stupid."

Cleveland is going to be a nightmare for the local police and the Secret Service with gun fanatics bent on displaying their pieces.

These laws are stupid, and incredibly dangerous and deadly. How far down the rabbit hole has the GOP fallen? Why have they passed legislation after legislation that makes their jobs and security 1000 times harder than it already was? I thought they supported the police in every way?

Lt. General Russel Honore's honesty is refreshing and his remarks will resonate throughout America. It's quite clear that law enforcement absolutely despises open carry laws.
Retired Army Lt. General: Open Carry Gun Laws Are 'Absolutely Crazy' | Crooks and Liars

Here's the local Charlotte Ordinance that they've been using since 2012, and was enacted in January of 2012, before the DNC Convention took place. They've used this ordinance for the CIAA college basketball tournament (historically black colleges) each year since then, as well as other major events.

I looked into your assertion that NC has such a law, I find nothing of the sort. A couple of areas, notably Charlotte and Davidson, have local laws similar to what you suggest.

Has this ever been tested in court? I suspect it will lose.

If everybody had a gun, they'd be perfectly safe. Safer actually.

I don't buy that but I worked for thirty years as a cop where we had open carry and we didn't have any significant problems.

I don't buy that but I worked for thirty years as a cop where we had open carry and we didn't have any significant problems.

For the most part it would be fine. We've had concealed carry here for a few years and the only problem was when a black man asserted that right. His name was Philando Castille. I fear more problems like that.

Before the latest shootings in Baton Rouge, I was thinking there should be a temporary ban on open carry around the RNC. Now I think it's imperative.

Cops are targets right now. We have an obligation to them to do what we can to address their fears. We need a temporary ban on open carry around the RNC immediately.

If I were a LEO assigned to police the RNC, I would insist on it. We cannot just throw law enforcement into the lion's den.

With all those guns there it will be the safest place in the Country ! :)

Because those who choose to shoot cops are going to be stopped by a sign saying "No Guns"?

There's no doubt that the current environment makes for a tense situation for both the police and the event participants but crazy, homicidal people do what they do without regard for the law.

i don't think the concern is that criminals will or will not obey any signs. Rather it could potentially make the police's job a little more difficult in differentiating a good person with a gun from a bad person with a gun.

I may be wrong but if a shot was taken a good majority of those with guns will brings their's out for self defense purpose ( I know I would). It would seem responding police would have a difficult chore in detecting who shot the gun.

But on the other hand if a terrorist fires a weapon there may be an open carry standing right behind him. It is tough call.

i don't think the concern is that criminals will or will not obey any signs. Rather it could potentially make the police's job a little more difficult in differentiating a good person with a gun from a bad person with a gun.

I may be wrong but if a shot was taken a good majority of those with guns will brings their's out for self defense purpose ( I know I would). It would seem responding police would have a difficult chore in detecting who shot the gun.

But on the other hand if a terrorist fires a weapon there may be an open carry standing right behind him. It is tough call.

Because if it was just a concealed carry nothing could stop the terrorist...

Back
Top Bottom