• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio GOP candidate: middle class doesn't pay their fair share

Yes GOP. Run with that please.

This isn't the first time I've heard a rightist candidate propose this. It's not enough for them to want to cut taxes for those who can most afford to pay them: They also want to squeeze the lower and middle classes as well.

This isn't the first time I've heard a rightist candidate propose this. It's not enough for them to want to cut taxes for those who can most afford to pay them: They also want to squeeze the lower and middle classes as well.
Well it should motivate the lower and middle classes to be born into better families.

“The top 20% of earners in the United States pay 82% of federal income tax — and, if you do the math, and 45% to 50% don’t pay any income tax, you can see the middle class is not really paying any kind of a fair share, depending on how you want to define it,” Gibbons said.
Its a terribly phrased statement but does have some uncomfortable truths if people are consist in their approach to people paying taxes. When a wealthy person does all they can to exploit tax laws and loopholes to their benefit and reduce their payment it is considered avoiding your fair share of taxes. When someone middle class exploits the tax laws and loopholes to their benefit and reduce their tax burden it’s considered a smart move and good planning. It really depends on how you define paying your fair share and when you shift from smart tax preparation to avoiding paying their fair share.

That said, I feel the middle class pays plenty of their share in taxes and Gibbons can take that remark and shove it. Find a better way to try and make your point.

Gibbons said this 7 months ago. Anything is better than Josh Mandel.

If they're gonna have a negative tax rate for the richest, they gotta raise taxes on everyone else first.

With $30 trillion is debt, no one is paying their share

Its a terribly phrased statement but does have some uncomfortable truths if people are consist in their approach to people paying taxes. When a wealthy person does all they can to exploit tax laws and loopholes to their benefit and reduce their payment it is considered avoiding your fair share of taxes. When someone middle class exploits the tax laws and loopholes to their benefit and reduce their tax burden it’s considered a smart move and good planning. It really depends on how you define paying your fair share and when you shift from smart tax preparation to avoiding paying their fair share.

That said, I feel the middle class pays plenty of their share in taxes and Gibbons can take that remark and shove it. Find a better way to try and make your point.
The bottom 50% make 1% of the money. They should pay 1% of the taxes. The top 20% make 90%+ of the money. They aren't paying their fair share.

The bottom 50% make 1% of the money. They should pay 1% of the taxes. The top 20% make 90%+ of the money. They aren't paying their fair share.
Like the Congressmen said it all depends on how you define Fair Share.

Gibbons said this 7 months ago. Anything is better than Josh Mandel.
Agree.
And Mandel is the son of a former law partner of mine (different office). I wanted to try to like him but he makes it impossible.

To the topic at hand, I'd hardly call Gibbons the front runner. Too many candidates in the field right now to gauge who really is the front runner. For most of them, their only "position" is who is a bigger Trump fan.

That point highlights why it's silly to make statements like Gibbons apparently did.

Back
Top Bottom