• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio Cop Terrorizes Family

douglas

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Cop Caught on Camera Terrorizing Family in Bizarre Video | Blogging/Citizen Journalism

Although I notice that the beginning of the incident wasn't recorded and the facts may prove otherwise, this video seems to show a cop just harassing a family for no reason, as well as some bystanders. The bystanders called the cops on the cop, what else could they do? How should we counter police brutality/harassment?

Pay them handsomely, let them form powerful unions instructing them never to charge a brother/sister with a crime, place them on paid vaction if they are thought to have screwed up, establish a secret internal discipline system just for them, if they do misbehave then allow the taxpayers to be sued for the damages and under no circumstances actually fire them. ;)

Pay them handsomely, let them form powerful unions instructing them never to charge a brother/sister with a crime, place them on paid vaction if they are thought to have screwed up, establish a secret internal discipline system just for them, if they do misbehave then allow the taxpayers to be sued for the damages and under no circumstances actually fire them. ;)

What a fantastic idea! Oh wait ...

Cop Caught on Camera Terrorizing Family in Bizarre Video | Blogging/Citizen Journalism

Although I notice that the beginning of the incident wasn't recorded and the facts may prove otherwise, this video seems to show a cop just harassing a family for no reason, as well as some bystanders. The bystanders called the cops on the cop, what else could they do? How should we counter police brutality/harassment?

A cop in Jacksonville arrested a black guy recently for walking on the wrong side of the road. I guess it could have been worse. He could have shot him 10 times like that other cop did.

Well you cant see what sets this all up but it definitely seems overboard.
Police are people and as such your are gonna get all the same problems in them you will find in the general population. I know they do screening but still a few extreme personalities can make it through

I don't blame the cop for a thing. How can anyone make a decision by looking at that video? I'll call it like I see it with police brutality, but that certainly wasn't an example.

Well you cant see what sets this all up but it definitely seems overboard.
Police are people and as such your are gonna get all the same problems in them you will find in the general population. I know they do screening but still a few extreme personalities can make it through

It is not so surpirsing that a few bad apples make it into in the public service barrel but that they are so rarely culled. Once one joins the public employment club then they are generally allowed to remain until retirement or voluntary separation. If unable to perform the job assigned to them then they are simply given training, asked to follow an improvement plan or transferred to some obscure position to minimize the damage that they can do. The single notable exception is the U.S. military among the enlisted ranks.

Police Commish Angry That 90 Percent of Fired Officers Get Jobs Back | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Arbitration: Unions help fired police officers get their jobs back - Sun Sentinel

It is not so surpirsing that a few bad apples make it into in the public service barrel but that they are so rarely culled. Once one joins the public employment club then they are generally allowed to remain until retirement or voluntary separation. If unable to perform the job assigned to them then they are simply given training, asked to follow an improvement plan or transferred to some obscure position to minimize the damage that they can do. The single notable exception is the U.S. military among the enlisted ranks.

Police Commish Angry That 90 Percent of Fired Officers Get Jobs Back | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Arbitration: Unions help fired police officers get their jobs back - Sun Sentinel

I don't think its surprising that they are rarely culled either, Disappointing, upsetting yup but surprising no.

I'm have doubts that's even real. There appears to be a bit of acting going on.

Yes, cops are people, too, but they should be held to a higher standard, because they themselves set themselves apart as a result of who they are. I don't respect someone just because they are a cop. That means nothing to me. So you are a cop? Good for you. But your choice of career is not a reason for me to respect you. You put your life on the line every day? That's great. Thank you. But I'm not going to fall all over, telling you how great you are, because you are doing a job and nothing else.

Corruption within the police department is far too easy, and happens far too often. Police brutality? Happens all the time.

If police are going to set themselves to a higher standard, then their behavior should be monitored more closely. Especially in a field where so many of it's workforce are on a power trip, and are legally authorized to carry a handgun and use it on if you.

I have to agree. I find it a little too much over the top to seem genuine. Looks staged to me. Either that or the cop is a complete moron.

edit to add: Last week, my mom and I were having a discussion about what passes for news these days. Apparently on one of her local networks, there is a large use of you-tube type videos that are passing for news these days.

Last edited:
Impossible to tell what caused what the video shows. What I'm not seeing is the cop tazing them while they're on the ground, he's not punching them or otherwise causing them physical harm of any kind other than they are on the ground and (apparently) cuffed. Whether or not they deserved to be cuffed and on the ground we don't know since that is not on video.

Edit: FYI here's the writeup in the Toldedo Blade:
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2013/09/18/WashingtonTwp-TPS-officer-puton-paid-leave.html

Last edited:
I too, am starting to question this video as a possible hoax. It seems that someone has overdubbed portions of it at the very least; how could we hear what the people were saying 30 feet away by using a camera phone? The camera man's voice has either been overdubbed or he's just acting very strange. If it's a complete hoax, as in professional actors, props, cars, sfx, etc., then it fooled me for a while, but that was the point. In either case, stuff like this still happens everyday, so it doesn't undo any arguments against it.

~edit~ Ockham found a writeup of the event at, http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2013/09/18/WashingtonTwp-TPS-officer-puton-paid-leave.html . Apparently this video is legit, although I still think portions may have been overdubbed or modified.

Last edited:

I agree that the bad apples are relatively few. However it is precisely the virtually absolute refusal to cull the bad apples that gives LE the negative reputation that they are increasingly earning. They need to cut the crap and actually uphold the standards equally that they claim to uphold. Then, maybe then, might the public begin to view them favorably.

They're really making their own lives harder by being so reflexively and blindly protective.

I'm prepared to wait out any investigation that may take place in this matter and see what all the facts end up telling us about this whole situation. I've seen plenty of disrespect for authority over the past number of years and it's only getting worse. This sense that individuals have the right to do whatever they want and to be as obnoxious, rude and ignorant when dealing with police as they care to be is just reflective of the lack of decent upbringing a certain segment of our population seems to be saddled with. Decency and good manners seem to be lost assets in today's world.

I'm prepared to wait out any investigation that may take place in this matter and see what all the facts end up telling us about this whole situation. I've seen plenty of disrespect for authority over the past number of years and it's only getting worse. This sense that individuals have the right to do whatever they want and to be as obnoxious, rude and ignorant when dealing with police as they care to be is just reflective of the lack of decent upbringing a certain segment of our population seems to be saddled with. Decency and good manners seem to be lost assets in today's world.
I agree with this. Completely. But, I would also add...

This sense that individuals have the right to do whatever they want and to be as obnoxious, rude and arrogant when dealing with the public just because they are the police as they care to be is just reflective of the lack of decent upbringing/accountability a certain segment of our population seems to be saddled with.

General comment, may or may not apply to this situation.

It's not faked. I've lived in the Toledo all my life so I'm very familiar with the area. And I recognize that cop too.

He likes to sit at the entrance to the trailer park where the incident happened.

raintree2.jpg

And he hides behind this sign at the entrance to catch speeders driving downhill from the overpass on Alexis road.

raintree3.JPG

I don't blame the cop for a thing. How can anyone make a decision by looking at that video? I'll call it like I see it with police brutality, but that certainly wasn't an example.

The headline says he was terrorizing them it doesn't claim police brutality. Do think his behavior here was reasonable? Provided it's real of course.

The headline says he was terrorizing them it doesn't claim police brutality. Do think his behavior here was reasonable? Provided it's real of course.

Yes, I saw nothing that was unreasonable. He put three people on the ground to control them. Began to handcuff them. The rowdy one? He placed him in the backseat of his squad car so he wouldn't have to listen to him. He directed the people to get back. Told them he'd already summoned assistance. Wanted that one guy to just shut up.

What we don't know is WHY he did those things. He didn't mistreat them; he didn't rough them up. He was attempting to control what may have been a crowd around him unhappy with what was going on. He was in a tough spot.

So now I'll ask you. What did you think was wrong with what he did? 'Cause here's what I know about a copper's job: it can turn terribly, terribly ugly in a New York Minute. As I said, he was in a tough spot.

It's not faked. I've lived in the Toledo all my life so I'm very familiar with the area. And I recognize that cop too.

He likes to sit at the entrance to the trailer park where the incident happened.

View attachment 67153820

And he hides behind this sign at the entrance to catch speeders driving downhill from the overpass on Alexis road.

View attachment 67153821

Tell us more about what you personally know of the area etc.

View attachment 67153820

View attachment 67153821

I grew up outside Toledo (the western end of Ottawa county). I know the location isn't fake, but the scenario sure seems like it could be, as well as the "acting." Just my feeling on it.

Yes, I saw nothing that was unreasonable. He put three people on the ground to control them. Began to handcuff them. The rowdy one? He placed him in the backseat of his squad car so he wouldn't have to listen to him. He directed the people to get back. Told them he'd already summoned assistance. Wanted that one guy to just shut up.

What we don't know is WHY he did those things. He didn't mistreat them; he didn't rough them up. He was attempting to control what may have been a crowd around him unhappy with what was going on. He was in a tough spot.

So now I'll ask you. What did you think was wrong with what he did? 'Cause here's what I know about a copper's job: it can turn terribly, terribly ugly in a New York Minute. As I said, he was in a tough spot.

Well, since you asked. I have an awful lot of respect for police officers. They have helped me on many occasions and my experience has always been good. I know however that that is not always the case. It is not the case more than I would like to see. I do understand that it is a very very difficult job to say the least.

In this instance there is a distinct disadvantage to assessing what happened because it picks up with the cop already taking action. Without knowing what lead up to it (really lead up to it not what is claimed to have come before) it is hard to know if the steps he took were really necessary or if he over-reacted. If I am to believe that statement by the father, if I accept that as true and accurate, then I feel like the cop over-reacted and his actions were excessive. The reason I feel this way, is because a cop has to be the level head in situations like this and I feel like his behavior escalated rather than calmed things down. I acknowledge that that is difficult to do but that is what they are trained to do and what they are responsible for doing as I understand.

It seems odd to me that this particular scenario would have required taking out a tazzer and cuffing a 14yr old boy face down on the pavement (especially when that 14yr old boy is a scrawny kid who is basically peeing himself over what is happening)

I will add the woman didn't help at all and if anyone needed tazzing it was here, I think she was guilty (at least on the tape) of the most aggressive behavior.

So bottom line.....we need to know what happened before the tape started rolling but if the fathers version of what happened proves accurate I think the cop got carried away and over did it.

There is nothing to indicate what started this. What I see is people on the ground all screaming insults and obscenities working themselves into a tizz at a lone officer. I don't see anyone being "terrorized." I see a family acting like real assholes.

There is no possible way to determine from this video that proves the officer is wrong in what he is doing. He might be right in everything that he did, but he also has a public image to live up to and should always keep a cool head. Complaining about how an officer is talking to your daughter in law is not smart in the US were some officers have a short fuse and the police usually wins the legal battle. They win that battle even if they were wrong in their actions because they have the law and the courts (usually) will rule in favor of the police. This rule is only let go if there is absolute evidence to the contrary and that this is made public and the victim has done absolutely (and then I mean absolutely) nothing wrong.

Nice trailer park.

Back
Top Bottom