• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ohio and Illinois Close All Bars and Restaurants

vesper

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
it's probably going to expand to other states. the federal government is going to have to help a lot of hourly workers.

What are they doing about the toilet paper shortage then? People aren't going to self quarantine if they don't have toilet paper.

Didn't see a thread on this yet. Both governors have taken the step to close all restaurants as of 9:00 P.M.. They can still keep their drive thru windows open or make deliveries but no in restaurant dining.

This is going to be devastating on a lot of people in regard to employment with every job associated with the restaurant/bar business.

Do you find these actions over the top?

Live updates: States shut down restaurants, nightlife; Federal Reserve slashes interest rates to zero

“It is what it is, life goes on.” Remember that post?

That was the other day regarding the cessation of amateur/professional sports and related businesses. Now you are concerned?

it's probably going to expand to other states. the federal government is going to have to help a lot of hourly workers.

National Emergency, (40-50 Billion,) 1.5 Trillion pumped into the banking industry, tomorrow’s futures in the red, where is the money going to come from?

How are the slackers going to be weeded out?

They still have jobs its just that the drive through lanes will be longer

There is no way that tipped employees will get the help they need they officially make a fraction of minimum wage for their hourly pay. This will erode the underbelly of every major metropolitan that takes this step area and will have a devastating effect on their economies. Tipped employees are often even more fragile than the paycheck to paycheck worker since the mindset is often "well I can work these shifts over the weekend and make my rent."

There is no way that tipped employees will get the help they need they officially make a fraction of minimum wage for their hourly pay. This will erode the underbelly of every major metropolitan that takes this step area and will have a devastating effect on their economies. Tipped employees are often even more fragile than the paycheck to paycheck worker since the mindset is often "well I can work these shifts over the weekend and make my rent."

I have a tip for these workers.Get some education and a better job

California has acted similarly, although they're allowing restaurants to remain open but lower their capacity by 50%

What are they doing about the toilet paper shortage then? People aren't going to self quarantine if they don't have toilet paper.

We're hoping Fox News comes out with a print edition so we can substitute that for toilet paper.

Our Governor is extending unemployment benefits by executive order. If servers have been illegally taking cash under the table then they’re screwed otherwise they’ll be fine.

National Emergency, (40-50 Billion,) 1.5 Trillion pumped into the banking industry, tomorrow’s futures in the red, where is the money going to come from?

How are the slackers going to be weeded out?

we need to rethink our system. it will take time. if we support the job > salary > access to resources model, we're going to have to plan for health emergencies.

we'll have to take that into account. the first step is catching our health care model up to the rest of the first world.

“It is what it is, life goes on.” Remember that post?

That was the other day regarding the cessation of amateur/professional sports and related businesses. Now you are concerned?

Not for myself no I am not concerned but when you start thinking of those workers that depend on tips like waitresses, bartenders, or cooks who work for an hourly rate this will be devastating. Then you add all those involved in transporting goods to the restaurant will be laid off or the beer delivery guy that gets paid by the case that he delivers. Most of these jobs are in the lower income brackets. If the state is not going to allow these people to work then they best come up with some compensation for them.

I understand what the governor is doing. In restaurants you do not have the distance proximity needed to stay safe. Most restaurants the tables are very close together. It is what it is.

We're hoping Fox News comes out with a print edition so we can substitute that for toilet paper.

The NYT Sunday edition might be a better value if you're on tight budget.

Or seven hundred bottles of hand sanitizer.

Do the people buying stores out not realize that it doesn't matter how often you wash your hands if nobody else can do it properly because you have all the soap?

I have a tip for these workers.Get some education and a better job

Gulfman, one should never degrade another over what they do for a living. Instead one should look at it as someone who works very hard for every dollar they make. When I was working my way through school I worked as a waitress. It was a demanding job physically. I worked at a pancake house. Had to learn to balance three hot plates on my arm while carrying two more in my hand. The place was hopping and the tips were great but after an 8 hour shift on a Saturday/Sunday, even a healthy fit 19 year old I was wiped out come Monday. After that experience, when I was financially able, I became a very good tipper.

Something all could remember that if these restaurants get into the delivery service or are open for takeout, remember to tip very well. And as a service to your local restaurants make sure you order takeout etc at least once a week.

Didn't see a thread on this yet. Both governors have taken the step to close all restaurants as of 9:00 P.M.. They can still keep their drive thru windows open or make deliveries but no in restaurant dining.

This is going to be devastating on a lot of people in regard to employment with every job associated with the restaurant/bar business.

Live updates: States shut down restaurants, nightlife; Federal Reserve slashes interest rates to zero

I am concerned with how we pay for the plan on the table in Congress? If we are intending to guarantee paychecks for weeks of sick leave and months in case of lay offs, how do we pay for that? I see us talking about concerts, restuarants, ball games and such. What about schools? I know some have closed but not all and how do we handle that, A.M.I.?

I am concerned with how we pay for the plan on the table in Congress? If we are intending to guarantee paychecks for weeks of sick leave and months in case of lay offs, how do we pay for that? I see us talking about concerts, restuarants, ball games and such. What about schools? I know some have closed but not all and how do we handle that, A.M.I.?

Congress pays for it by passing an appropriations bill. That's it.

Depends. A lot of these places were going to take the hit anyway, but at least closing them by the government positions them for some sort of claims for relief/aid.

as we speak, I expect there are at least several dozen attorneys preparing documents file in court tomorrow morning to try to overturn Dear Leader DeWhine's edicts. Whether they will win or lose-I know not, but some businesses are going to be bankrupted by this action of the governor

How we handle it is up to individual states. Governor Dewine, a Republican, was one of the first states to close all schools and any gatherings over so many people. He just on guestimations from the CDC said he feels we have 100,000 cases of coronavirus within the state of Ohio. He isn't waiting for any extensive testing to prove that point. He just closed all the schools for three weeks. Dewine's view is if we let this get out of hand it will overload our healthcare system and he wants to avoid that. And with still no intensive testing data tonight he closed all restaurants and bars. As far as the bill still in Congress, not sure exactly what that will look like when it gets done in the Senate. But one thing for sure the taxpayer will be on the hook for the cost.

Or, you know, they could just eat cake. :roll:

When I see someone waiting tables or washing dishes at age 30 or older I wondered where they failed in life

Back
Top Bottom