• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oh, The GOP Sure Showed Obama...

Well, I think the assumption has been that the GOP's absurd strategy was directed at the Democrats and the President. I don't think that's the case anymore. I think the strategy was an attempt by Boehner to both appease the teapartiers (let's call them the freaks), while not taking their brinksmanship so far that traditional Republicans (let's call them the normals) would be unable to compete in national or statewide elections in the near future.

This whole farce was an attempt by Boehner to show the freaks that the normals respect them and want them to stay in the party, while at the same time trying not to let the freaks drive the normals into a position that will result in a complete inability to compete in national (or even statewide) elections.

Whether it has succeeded or not won't be known unless and until there's an agreement, and Cruz, along with the rightwing noise machine, makes its decision to either stick with the normals or disown them completely, either by starting a third party or by initiating an internecine war to take control of the RNC. I'm not quite sure which result I'm rooting for.

good point

One of the new strategies of the republican party, as advocated by Paul Ryan in the WSJ, is to shift the emphasis, instead of abandon, from Obamacare to entitlement reform!

LOOK NOW THEY WANT TO RAISE THE RETIREMENT AGE!!! IS THAT WHAT WE WANT??

health care and the type of work people are doing has changed pretty drastically even in the last 20 years, and people are living longer. So I'm not sure a raising of the retirement age should be automatically dismissed and makes sense on a number of levels

Well, I think the assumption has been that the GOP's absurd strategy was directed at the Democrats and the President. I don't think that's the case anymore. I think the strategy was an attempt by Boehner to both appease the teapartiers (let's call them the freaks), while not taking their brinksmanship so far that traditional Republicans (let's call them the normals) would be unable to compete in national or statewide elections in the near future.

This whole farce was an attempt by Boehner to show the freaks that the normals respect them and want them to stay in the party, while at the same time trying not to let the freaks drive the normals into a position that will result in a complete inability to compete in national (or even statewide) elections.

Whether it has succeeded or not won't be known unless and until there's an agreement, and Cruz, along with the rightwing noise machine, makes its decision to either stick with the normals or disown them completely, either by starting a third party or by initiating an internecine war to take control of the RNC. I'm not quite sure which result I'm rooting for.

while this is an interesting theory, what are you basing it on? The reason I ask is that it would show a rather shrewd side to Boehner, but I haven't seen much evidence in the past to characterize him as someone so competent in handling people

while this is an interesting theory, what are you basing it on? The reason I ask is that it would show a rather shrewd side to Boehner, but I haven't seen much evidence in the past to characterize him as someone so competent in handling people

A combination of reading a lot of analysis and my own keen insight into the tea party dynamics! Mostly the former, thank heavens.

One of the new strategies of the republican party, as advocated by Paul Ryan in the WSJ, is to shift the emphasis, instead of abandon, from Obamacare to entitlement reform!
Ryan had to walk that op ed back on Bill Bannett's PM radio show on same day after TEAcriticism..
Doubt if we see any Repubs op ed this week, except the TEAs
LOOK NOW THEY WANT TO RAISE THE RETIREMENT AGE!!! IS THAT WHAT WE WANT??
Always part of Cantor's 60-month coup..I look for the Money Men to speak real loud this week, following the Koch letter last Wed.

Ryan had to walk that op ed back on Bill Bannett's PM radio show on same day after TEAcriticism..
Doubt if we see any Repubs op ed this week, except the TEAs
Always part of Cantor's 60-month coup..I look for the Money Men to speak real loud this week, following the Koch letter last Wed.

given the longer lifespan and the overall general increase in health, what exactly is your objection to an adjustment that corrected for these changes?

given the longer lifespan and the overall general increase in health, what exactly is your objection to an adjustment that corrected for these changes?

Maybe that it should be the last thing we do -- making life harder on the poor and old -- and first concentrate on auditing the military, which not only has never been audited, but doesn't even produce GAAP quality books and records so that it can be audited. Hundreds of billions spent each year on a military that has never been audited - and Ryan wants to cut benefits to people who are often just eking by.

After we squeeze out billions that are being wasted on wealthy defense contractors to build the military of the 20th century, then and only then, should we try to save money by reducing benefits to hard working Americans.

There's more to budgets and their politics than being "right" on an issue -- it's where you start and which issues you address first.

Excuse me if I start posting with a little smart-a$$-ery..
My fellow Countryman, I'm half UK, Martin Bashir is on and bashing the sh!t out of those who deserve it..
Got any good ones on Rush today yet..
Rush and his other wingers in Media are in my top 25 of power pols.
So far, Bashir hasn't mentioned Limbaugh. Though he did just show Louie Gohmert embarrassing himself. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

That Gohmert clip goes into the "you can't make this stuff up" circular file..
If the House doesn't agree on a deal and we default, then the President should be impeached..Who elects these TEAturds?
So far, Bashir hasn't mentioned Limbaugh. Though he did just show Louie Gohmert embarrassing himself. So he's got that going for him, which is nice.

If I talk to 10 guys on the street and I see a poll telling me that out of 500 surveyed, I'm gonna listen to the guys on the street. I actually heard what they have to say in the context of how they said it.

Same here, listening to reported polls from slanted news organizations is simple programming at best

This is why I left the Republican party, no spine and even less convictions. Obama is a horrible negotiator and a worse White House occupant.

I don't know why Obama wouldn't negotiate with those lovable Republicans. All they wanted him to do was to repeal the Affordable Care Act. :lamo

That Gohmert clip goes into the "you can't make this stuff up" circular file..
If the House doesn't agree on a deal and we default, then the President should be impeached..Who elects these TEAturds?

For the most part they are elected by Gerrymandered legislative districts in extremely conservative areas. They are the descendants of the Birchers who also were totally divorced from reality.

Actually, repeal is about 60% for in every poll I've seen, approval is below 30%, so either way your claim that "only" 1/3 of the people want repeal or replacement is not completely accurate. Sure, a poll here or there may say that, but overall the polling of it is not good, and it shouldn't be. As a former insurance professional I will tell you flat out that bill is a catastrophe, but it was written by idiots on behalf of lobbyists so of course it's going to suck.

And of course as a former 'insurance professional', you went out of your way to make sure poor people and people with pre-existing conditions had access to affordable health care.:lamo

Now Watching 2-hour show on H2--Ku Klux Klan--A Secret History..
One paper I had never seen was out of a church hand-out for recommended votes..
Kandidate Kal Koolidge..White-and-black paper and film doesn't lie..
For the most part they are elected by Gerrymandered legislative districts in extremely conservative areas. They are the descendants of the Birchers who also were totally divorced from reality.
As you say, Birchers..Seems every 20 years or so they're called something different..But the KKK never goes away..

The teaparty has taught Obama a lesson he's never going to forget! Furthermore income verification for healthcare subsidies. Obama got shellacked after backing himself into a corner. Kentucky, a very red state, got nearly 2 billion extra in funding for an infrastructure project. 24 states went red in 2012. One red state got their goodies so now we need 23 more shutdowns to go.

.... Kentucky, a very red state, got nearly 2 billion extra in funding for an infrastructure project....

That funding was not a "kickback".

The funding had already been approved by the House and Senate earlier this year and was a part of President Obama's
2014 budget.

'Kentucky Kickback'? Not so much.
....according to congressional sources from both parties, wasn’t a McConnell project:

<SNIP>

there was bipartisan support for increasing the project’s funding. The provision does not allocate $2 billion; rather, it raises the cap for the amount Congress could allocate later. President Obama asked for it in his 2014 budget, and both the House and the Senate had passed bills allowing the increase this year.

'Kentucky Kickback'? Not so much.

Only 23 more red states to go.....

The money was already approved. It just needed to be attached to a bill.
Sorry you misunderstood.

Back
Top Bottom